Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Zaodai posted:

Do the Legion mechs lack ejection systems because it is assumed their power armor Pilot TSM will let them jaws of life their way out of their fallen machine?

Their armor is almost more survivable than the mech's head.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Just making sure.

So they're basically mech Chestbursters. That's going to make for a hilarious freakout when the Society see it.
"One pilot just punched out."
"Neg, I see no booster trail or parachute, pilot is down."
"He literally punched his way out of the cockpit. With his bare hands!"

Zikan
Feb 29, 2004

Wrong thread

Zikan fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Mar 29, 2018

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

Zaodai posted:

Do the Legion mechs lack ejection systems because it is assumed their power armor Pilot TSM will let them jaws of life their way out of their fallen machine?

Yes.

I think you got the wrong thread?

Magni
Apr 29, 2009
That Hellfire sure is a hot machine. :v:

Edit: I could have gone for the warcrimes joke, but eh, low-hanging fruits.

Magni fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Mar 29, 2018

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

So, what can a Sin actually do to a mech? I'm not nearly as familiar with killborgs.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

Legion #11 checking in with some basic questions.

- It doesn't look like my weapons are particularly suited to hitting the infantry, compared to the ap gausses others have?
- TSM I recall needs you to be running hot to function. Sarna doesn't exactly explain what it does within the rules. Do I generally want to maintain it on if I can basically all the time? If so I would likely take a potshot with all my weapons this turn just to get things started.
- I was thinking of firing from cover from 1434. I could run or jump there, and given our massive pilot stats advantage playing conservative and taking the +3 to my own rolls for the jump is probably worth it to give the extra +1 to them I imagine?

iirc PTN has a house rule for R-e lasers that allow them to function as burst fire weapons against Infantry, but I don't remember what the specifics were.

I posted about TSM earlier, but here's the gist for the Mech you're driving: If you end the turn at 9 overheat or higher, on the following turn you gain 2 walking MP and do double damage with physical attacks. But, heat penalties still apply- So at 9 heat, you still suffer +1 to hit with weapons and -1 walking MP. Because TSM grants you 2 mp, you're still able to move as a 6/9 instead of a 5/8 when you're at 9 heat, but if you go to 10 or more then the penalty from heat balances out the benefit from TSM and you are just left with the double melee damage.

Your mech also can't generate enough heat on it's own to instantly activate TSM- You generate a max of 30 heat from alpha striking + jumping 5 hexes, which leaves you at 6 overheat on the next turn, 3 short of the TSM activation point. When you're getting in to potential melee range, you will probably want it active, which you can do by alpha striking and jumping 5, then on the following turn, alpha strike + run, which will leave you with TSM enabled on the *third* turn. From that point on you can fire both lasers and jump 4 to keep it active indefinitely.

ALL THAT BEING SAID... This mission has a ton of enemies with both plasma cannons and Inferno missiles. These can give you a huge ton of heat, so you'll really just need to play it by ear as you come in to range of various enemy units. If you are close to a plasma or inferno mech, it's probably best to just fire your lasers only. Then, if you get hit by an ATM-Inferno salvo, that alone will be enough to activate TSM and let you dash in and kick the leg off whatever just hit you.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Gwaihir posted:

activate TSM and let you dash in and kick the leg off whatever just hit you.
I really *really* want to see all enemy mechs die via legging via TSM empowered kicks. It will be the stompy robot version of that scene from Terminator 2.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

are there any weird rules for the pilot TSM activating or is that basically just always on?

Farseli
Sep 28, 2009

This is what I live for. This is the purpose of living, for those who have no life.
Legion #12 here.

I'm thinking of running to 1435. That's running MP and only 4 hexes (bad), but in light woods with lots of woods to the top (good). Figure I can then alpha on the Hellfire from there. Any objections or suggestions?

Night10194 posted:

So, what can a Sin actually do to a mech? I'm not nearly as familiar with killborgs.

I think it means we can single man swarm a 'Mech with relative ease.

PoptartsNinja posted:

when forced to eject their Sin BattleArmor count as a full squad for the purposes of Swarm and Leg attacks and deal one additional point of damage while making a swarm or leg attack.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

Night10194 posted:

BA!

OK, so each BA has a few things about it: They're small targets, so hitting them is just generally harder, and all attackers other than Infantry need +1 to hit. These also have stealth armor, which gives an additional +1 to hit at short and medium range, and +2 to hit at long range. These have 10 armor.

For damage, they're packing the same AP Gauss rifle that's mounted on some of the Mechs, which is good for killing either 2d6 enemy infantry, or doing 3 damage to an enemy Mech.

The fun really starts if you can get in to the same hex as an enemy Mech* or Vehicle (*Not protomechs! They're immune to anti-mech attacks). If you end your movement in the same hex as an enemy mech, you can make a leg attack, which does 5 damage to a leg and forces a crit chance in the leg even if you don't breach armor.

Or, you can go for a swarm attack. On a successful roll, you climb up the enemy mech and then in the following turn you can attack it, and your attacks are guaranteed to hit. What's more, these attacks have double the normal chance to hit the head of the enemy Mech, and a pretty decent chance to hit rear armor locations too. So after the swarm attack roll, you're going to do a guaranteed 4 damage per turn until the enemy is either dead or manages to dislodge you.

There are different ways to dislodge a swarming elemental, but they all involve piloting rolls- And the society pilots are *terrrrrible*
They're so terrible, in fact, that if they try to dislodge you they're far more likely to do something like punch themselves in the head. Dislodging swarming infantry needs PSR + 4, which is a big fat 10 for most of these society pilots. If the mech fails the roll, it takes damage equivalent to punching itself. It can also try jumping, if it has jets, but with the same +4 needed, they're not very likely to succeed.

The only way you're going to reliably get shaken off a mech you've swarmed is if one of your friendly goons shoots it (If you shoot a mech that is also being swarmed, you have a 1/3 chance to hit the swarming BA instead of the mech), or if the mech falls down. Accidental falls always dislodge swarming BA.

Gwaihir fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Mar 29, 2018

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Should have given the battlearmour a mortar.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Legion 10 here. I'm jumping for a shot at the Sphinx over the pond. Should have 8s on my Larges vs 11s coming back for the Sphinx which is an acceptable trade-off. I'm trusting that Red Team (Legions 5-8) are gonna warcrime those infantry away for us to the right!

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

goatface posted:

Should have given the battlearmour a mortar.

Neurohacking a society mech? That's just crazy enough to work!

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA

Farseli posted:

Legion #12 here.

I'm thinking of running to 1435. That's running MP and only 4 hexes (bad), but in light woods with lots of woods to the top (good). Figure I can then alpha on the Hellfire from there. Any objections or suggestions?

I think it means we can single man swarm a 'Mech with relative ease.

Why not jump four hexes instegs?

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

jng2058 posted:

Legion 10 here. I'm jumping for a shot at the Sphinx over the pond. Should have 8s on my Larges vs 11s coming back for the Sphinx which is an acceptable trade-off. I'm trusting that Red Team (Legions 5-8) are gonna warcrime those infantry away for us to the right!

I strongly considered just running 8 hexes straight and Firing at that sphinx.

better or worse than my current plan?

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

Mezzanon posted:

Well, unless I missed which mech you're driving, running 8 hexes forward would require more MP than you have and put you in water!

Since the Hellbringer is ensconced out of LoS from all of you on the right this turn (It's on height 0 and has that height 2 hill blocking it), I think the entire right side hPPC group could line up on the 18 line: 1831 to 1834 and blast away at that Sphinx. You'd need about (1 base + 2 run + 2 heavy woods + 2 range) which is a pretty decent shot. I don't know if the Sphinx is treated as having moved last turn, but that might turn it from decent 7 to marginal 9, which, well, who cares, PPCs don't have ammo!

I would definitely save the TSEMP until you have better shots.

Make sure everyone secondary targets the infantry squad in case it moves in to LoS, all of you have the AP gauss on your right arms so that should be no problem.

e: Alternately, a few people from right side squad could run to 2135, 2136, or 2236 and fire all their PPC + AP gauss at the infantry. Even if they move in to one of the buildings (they probably will), heavy PPC fire should collapse the light structures easily.
This frees up that 18 line for some of your central squad goons that don't have the movement to reach the infantry themselves, but have plenty to line up for shots on the Sphinx.

e2: For the left side folks, here's some LoS drawings:

Gwaihir fucked around with this message at 22:53 on Mar 29, 2018

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Mezzanon posted:

You'd only be able to go 7 hexes to 1831 because you wouldn't have the extra MP to make it into the water. That's okay, though, because you'd still get the +3 to be hit for moving 7 hexes. You'd end up with 8's on your HPPC and TSEMP and 10s on the APGs if you alpha strike. The Sphinx would need 9s to hit you with his(?) ER Larges and 11's for the wall of ER Mediums because you'd be a couple of hexes into Short Range for the ERLs. With all those woods on either side of you, you'd probably be okay from anyone else's fire. You couldn't warcrime the infantry, but otherwise it seems viable unless there's some movement priority thing I'm forgetting where you'd bounce off the back of my 'mech or something.

Yeah, it could work.

As far as the old plan, I'm not 100% sure you've got LOS on the Mad Dog. It kinda looks like he's on level 0 behind a level 2 hill, though I may be reading that wrong, since I'm not 100% on how the lower/upper level thing works exactly.

If you do have LOS you'd be at Long Range for both your big guns, which would give you 9s, maybe 10s if he's got partial cover, and then it would depend on where the ACE Infantry scuttled to on whether you'd have a shot or how good a shot it'd be with the AP Guass, but you'd probably be hitting 'em on like 6s or so, assuming you designate them your secondary target (which confers a +1 penalty to hit). In return, though, the Mad Dog would get 9's on his return fire since you'd only be at Medium Range for his shots.

If you can see him at all, that is. Which leads me to...

PTN - Can we get clarification on how the whole Upper Level, Lower Level thing affects LOS? Can that Mad Dog in 2320 (Upper) be seen by anybody at the moment, or is he behind a Level 2 hill?

Gwaihir posted:

Since the Hellbringer is ensconced out of LoS from all of you on the right this turn (It's on height 0 and has that height 2 hill blocking it), I think the entire right side hPPC group could line up on the 18 line: 1831 to 1834 and blast away at that Sphinx. You'd need about (1 base + 2 run + 2 heavy woods + 2 range) which is a pretty decent shot.

It'd be 8s, we're G2 base.

jng2058 fucked around with this message at 22:54 on Mar 29, 2018

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
I don't think the base score on the unit card is counting your fancy implants though, so that should be -1 to your stats. (I might be wrong here?)

Leith Maclaine
Mar 2, 2018

Adventure comes from insufficient planning.
Also as a clarification, are we using the rule where elevation allows you to ignore woods that are not same hex or adjacent to the target?

Farseli
Sep 28, 2009

This is what I live for. This is the purpose of living, for those who have no life.

Affi posted:

Why not jump four hexes instegs?

Unless I totally messed up my math somewhere, I'm hitting on (2 base + 2 run + 4 range)= 8 so 41.7% On the other hand they have (4 base + 1 target moved + 1 light woods + 4 range)= 10 so 16.7%.

Jumping bumps me to 9s which is 27.8%, a decrease of 13.9 while they only go down 8.4%. Seems like that affects me more but if people with more experience think that is a good trade off I'm willing to jump.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

Farseli posted:

Unless I totally messed up my math somewhere, I'm hitting on (2 base + 2 run + 4 range)= 8 so 41.7% On the other hand they have (4 base + 1 target moved + 1 light woods + 4 range)= 10 so 16.7%.

Jumping bumps me to 9s which is 27.8%, a decrease of 13.9 while they only go down 8.4%. Seems like that affects me more but if people with more experience think that is a good trade off I'm willing to jump.

I made this calculus too and I think while in absolute terms 13.9 is larger than 8.4, in proportional terms the difference between an 11 to-hit is 50% as likely as a 10 to-hit. Also there are many many enemies on this map so playing conservative feels like the way to go.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Leith Maclaine posted:

Also as a clarification, are we using the rule where elevation allows you to ignore woods that are not same hex or adjacent to the target?

Never.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Every battle has actually taken place on the planet Tall Trees. That's the twist.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

No bird-aliens, but a shitton of ewoks.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

If anyone would feel like cutting and pasting the "upper elevation" map onto the "lower elevation" map so that we can more easily see the sightlines between the mechs on the higher level and the outdoor areas on the lower level, that'd be swell? I tried to do it in Paint but I can't cut out the upper image along the hex border properly.

Judicator65
Feb 4, 2012

PoptartsNinja posted:

“We can’t let you do that, interloper,” the young Clanner spat. “We have our orders. You face the Rho Galaxy, 58th Battle Cluster, Upsilon Trinary, Star Two. Prepare yourselves for death.”

So, fake Clanner? Rattled? Or just a simple error?

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Rho Galaxy, traditionally, were basically the shittiest/least Clan-like warriors of Clan Coyote.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Yeah, Society and their recruits from the rest of the Clans, bandit caste, and other rejects aren't fake Clanners just lovely Clanners

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

The Society are good at making things. They're bad at literally everything else.

Leith Maclaine
Mar 2, 2018

Adventure comes from insufficient planning.

Thank you.

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

e: i'm bad at checking pages.

RA Rx
Mar 24, 2016

This map looks... challenging.

Just remember to kick everything with TSM constantly.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

No problem, I use weird line of sight rules but essentially woods are height 2.5 so they'll still block vision from above. Foliage is harder to see through than trunks.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.
Legion #3 checking in.

My lancemates seem to have laid claim to the two hexes within range that have LOS to the Hellfire 3 without standing out in the open flashing my rear end (at 0834), so I'm planning on jumping to 0835 and opening up on the infantry. AP Gauss seem to be the warcrimes weapon of choice, but is it worth painting them with the rHeavy PPC as well if only to build up a little heat?

Also a strategy discussion Google Doc is here if any players want to use it.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Lemniscate Blue posted:

is it worth painting them with the rHeavy PPC as well if only to build up a little heat?

They're standing in a light building.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

PoptartsNinja posted:

They're standing in a light building.

After a little squinting I can see they are indeed. Welp, recalculating.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Lemniscate Blue posted:

After a little squinting I can see they are indeed. Welp, recalculating.

Shoot the building with your PPC :ssh:

chktshadeclaw
Feb 8, 2012

Lemniscate Blue posted:

Legion #3 checking in.

My lancemates seem to have laid claim to the two hexes within range that have LOS to the Hellfire 3 without standing out in the open flashing my rear end (at 0834), so I'm planning on jumping to 0835 and opening up on the infantry. AP Gauss seem to be the warcrimes weapon of choice, but is it worth painting them with the rHeavy PPC as well if only to build up a little heat?

Also a strategy discussion Google Doc is here if any players want to use it.
I can't seem to edit it, is that normal?
I did have a question for the thread - would it be better to run or jump to 1133? I'd be using my full mp both ways, for a total distance of five hexes, but I'm leaning toward jumping.

chktshadeclaw fucked around with this message at 07:41 on Mar 30, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grognan
Jan 23, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
what happens if the building is full of mad science without safety protocol.

• Locked thread