Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Does every object created when a dwarf gets a mood gets spikes of something?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

it is sort of ironic that it's called 'valleysilences', when its actually a very loud mountain

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009
I admire your forbearance, I'd have given "bad place" a demonstration of what exactly a bad place is the second I noticed that bullshit.

megane
Jun 20, 2008

It amuses me that the mayor of our nightmarish zombie lava death mountain settlement is named A Bad Place.

Tiger Crazy
Sep 25, 2006

If you couldn't find any weirdness, maybe we'll just have to make some!
Excellent a vengeful fisherdwarf. I'm sure our crab friend won't be a problem.:psydwarf:

Rincewinds
Jul 30, 2014

MEAT IS MEAT

Tiger Crazy posted:

Excellent a vengeful fisherdwarf. I'm sure our crab friend won't be a problem.:psydwarf:

Then who shall be Queequeg?

turol
Jul 31, 2017

Radio Free Kobold posted:

All in favour of assigning the Mayor a new set of luxury quarters, with locking doors and experimental heated walls?

Aye.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

All in favour of assigning the Mayor a new set of luxury quarters, with locking doors and experimental heated walls?

Nay!

The Mayor showed us the true value of bins. They're so useful, but until now we were to blind to see it. Just imagine if we wouldn't have any bins and selling stuffwould always such a hassle.
We must never sell these precious containers!

cant cook creole bream fucked around with this message at 22:18 on Mar 29, 2018

A Bad Place
May 25, 2008
Export of bins prohibited? Ohh, no! I said export of dins prohibited! That's what I call high-quality dinners.

It's a regional dialect.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

A Bad Place posted:

It's a regional dialect.

Which region?

namehereguy
Nov 24, 2017

HardDiskD posted:

Does every object created when a dwarf gets a mood gets spikes of something?

Not necessarily; each unit of stuff integrated into the artifact gives it a single decoration (one comes with the base material, too) and one of the possible decorations is menacing spikes.

megane
Jun 20, 2008

On the other hand, there are only four or five types of decorations (studs, rings, bands, spikes, images of random stuff... that's it maybe?), and it's not uncommon for one artifact to have like seven decorations on it. So yeah, there are a lot of freaking spikes.

namehereguy
Nov 24, 2017
Dwarf me as a smith

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company
"It's okay, DCB, nobles aren't that bad anymore."

Uh huh. :colbert:

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

"It's okay, DCB, nobles aren't that bad anymore."

Uh huh. :colbert:

They aren't that bad in that now there are only 3 who can make demands:

1. The baron, who you get to appoint yourself and so you can choose someone with no bad preferences.
2. The king, who rarely shows up unless you do specific things to encourage him to show up.
3. The mayor: the dwarf with the most friends.

You can try to game the election by giving a good candidate almost no jobs, so he'll spend most of his time socializing and making new friends, but that's a lot of management. If you get a bad mayor it's usually easier to arrange an accident and hope the second-most popular dwarf is more reasonable.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company
And yet for all their not-bad-ness you still get dudes prohibiting the export of bins.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
As a weirdo who almost never exports the actual bins because I don't want to constantly replace them, I don't see the issue(other than the annoyance of having to show forbidden exports when selecting stuff for the depot). :v:

gbuchold
Oct 7, 2007

We feel free because we lack the very language to articulate our unfreedom.
Pillbug

Haifisch posted:

As a weirdo who almost never exports the actual bins because I don't want to constantly replace them, I don't see the issue(other than the annoyance of having to show forbidden exports when selecting stuff for the depot). :v:

:iit:

Radio Free Kobold
Aug 11, 2012

"Federal regulations mandate that at least 30% of our content must promote Reptilian or Draconic culture. This is DJ Scratch N' Sniff with the latest mermaid screeching on KBLD..."

can't you make bins out of normal, ordinary, found-everywhere stone? shouldn't ever be able to run out of the things.

namehereguy
Nov 24, 2017

can't you make bins out of normal, ordinary, found-everywhere stone? shouldn't ever be able to run out of the things.

Nope, wood or metal only and the metal ones are three bars apiece. If you don't have surface trees/have an inhospitable surface, they're going to be competing with beds and training bolts for wood supplies.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender
And metal bins are a Bad Idea because they're generally heavier than wooden ones, which means they take longer to lug around.

Radio Free Kobold
Aug 11, 2012

"Federal regulations mandate that at least 30% of our content must promote Reptilian or Draconic culture. This is DJ Scratch N' Sniff with the latest mermaid screeching on KBLD..."

and they cost metal, which you could be making trade goods out of. say, speaking of wood, we should maybe set up a tree farm.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker

and they cost metal, which you could be making trade goods out of. say, speaking of wood, we should maybe set up a tree farm.

Trees?! in my farm?!

Radio Free Kobold
Aug 11, 2012

AJ_Impy posted:

Trees?! in my farm?!

It's more likely than you think

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

Haifisch posted:

And metal bins are a Bad Idea because they're generally heavier than wooden ones, which means they take longer to lug around.

lead bins own, and we should make some

e: gold bins are also acceptable

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

An underground tree farm would also be a swell place to pasture any herbivores we don't want to die.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

and they cost metal, which you could be making trade goodsweapons to kill elves out of. say, speaking of wood, we should maybe set up a tree farm.

I fixed it for you. drat it, now I want to start a new fort.

So Math
Jan 8, 2013

Ghostly Clothier
Excerpts from the diary of So Math, Overseer of Valleysilences.

19 Sandstone 566

A small group of migrants has arrived.

I met Frenzy the Killbot's parents, Windy Skunk and geri_khan, and their daughter Cossack.

They were followed by a laid back mason, ashnjac.

I think Camoes has the better outlook for life in Valleysilences.

Fuubi came to Valleysilences to live her life long dream of being a soldier.

Dallbun has never seen chairs such as ours in his whole life. Even counting the other chair he saw on the way in, apparently.

Cyflan shares my appreciation of a good bin.

Now that I think about it, I forgot to warn the new arrivals about the zombies. I might have also suggested they tidy up outside. I'm sure they'll be fine.

22 Sandstone 566

I went to see how Deadmeat5150 is getting along with the new farmers.

The farms themselves have not changed much in the past nine months, besides AJ_Impy's signage. We do have room to expand, but I've prioritized other projects while we've been able to trade for many delicacies.

25 Sandstone 566

We have run out of barrels, and most of the meat is still sitting in the trade depot. Wood is scarce here, so I will have some fine pots made instead. I don't have the dwarfpower to mine out new chambers, so I'm going to designate some temporary stockpiles instead.

26 Sandstone 566

PhallicPhlanges decided to climb the wall of the magma chute instead of walking along the future path of the magma. It did not go well.

27 Sandstone 566

See, this is why a fortress needs organization. Apparently, we've had a pair of animal corpses caged up in here with us for months. They don't seem to be moving.

2 Timber 566

With all the construction going on, no one has been looking after the cleansing pool. I guess I'll have to do it myself. And my office is still not dug out yet.

4 Timber 566

The guards killed another skunk corpse today.

6 Timber 566

Vesh Puzzlinglanced has rewarded my service with the miracle of spontaneous generation.

7 Timber 566

I banned the export of quivers. Geshud forbid we are attacked and our guards have no containers for their ammo.

13 Timber 566

I ran into Tunicate trying to dance her troubles away in the tavern.

14 Timber 566

Three more cats have geiven birth. Did they come in with the migrants? To my knowledge, all the fortress cats have been neutered.

3 Moonstone 566

Finally, my tomb is complete. You can see I marked the adjacent plot for my husband.

Due to a production error, we have a number of statues in his likeness, instead of mine. I'll have them installed in my private quarters.

Yours alone,
So Math
Baroness

PhallicPhalanges
Jun 9, 2015

Her navel is all time musky... Bt look at her face... Her face makes my ROD wakes
nice

puppets freak me out
Dec 18, 2015

Dwarf me up as a soldier. Or, if we have too many, any tradesperson we need.

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon
How's my dwarf doing? If I remember correctly, most of my family is now here as well. Welcome, ya lazy bums.

Zeerust
May 1, 2008

They must have guessed, once or twice - guessed and refused to believe - that everything, always, collectively, had been moving toward that purified shape latent in the sky, that shape of no surprise, no second chance, no return.
Hell of a coincidence to see a fresh succession game so soon off of reading through the old LP Archive's games / Gemclod. Dwarf me, please!

Reading through M_Gargantua's turn, I wasn't sure about how long this fort could actually last, but the cursed volcano serving as a fortress populated mostly by death-worshipping nightmare cultists is making for exciting reading. I haven't played / seen DF since 2011 so I'm impressed with how in-depth the history system and everything else has become.

Are there any archived succession games that are worth reading through? I followed one maybe a couple years back that I abandoned after the threadrunner took it back over and only updated like once a month.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

So Math posted:

22 Sandstone 566

I went to see how Deadmeat5150 is getting along with the new farmers.
The farms themselves have not changed much in the past nine months, besides AJ_Impy's signage. We do have room to expand, but I've prioritized other projects while we've been able to trade for many delicacies.

See, this right here would be a great area for a tree farm. Trees are already growing in the muddied hallway. Just dig out the area to right of that hallway, flood it with the already installed flood system, and Bob's your uncle. In a couple years we'd have plenty of wood.

Frionnel
May 7, 2010

Friends are what make testing worth it.
So, how goes me, the lone human living in this cursed land?

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Dwarf Me

As a Goblin if possible.
Or some kind of not dwarf immigrant. Or just a random peasant. I'm easy.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
What sorts of things can grow in the river muck here?

McGibby
Jan 27, 2009

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
aaaaaAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
Am I still just stuck in traction or did I die off screen?

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
Has my dwarf done anything? :saddowns: little bastard is as much an unfun square as I am

namehereguy
Nov 24, 2017

Facebook Aunt posted:

See, this right here would be a great area for a tree farm. Trees are already growing in the muddied hallway. Just dig out the area to right of that hallway, flood it with the already installed flood system, and Bob's your uncle. In a couple years we'd have plenty of wood.

It's not as easy as it used to be; trees are multi-Z-level now and according to the wiki you need to hollow out at least two levels to get any wood. Level above would need to be channeled out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender
You also need to keep minimal traffic in the area, or else it'll trample the saplings to death(which means you'd need separate tree farm and moss pasture areas).