Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
I must not be familiar with the famous potatoducks and EAT FASTER!!!!!!! bad blood

Top of page edit - did yall hear eat faster goofed up on his withholding?!?! Jackass!! I bet you get off on withholding, like Lucille Bluth, you bitch!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

The ocean is calling and I must go

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

Adulthood is just a series of increasingly expensive days, but I got a new single-day high score for expenditure today.

Don't eat out today.

potatoducks
Jan 26, 2006

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

I must not be familiar with the famous potatoducks and EAT FASTER!!!!!!! bad blood

Hahaha what?

He makes a "I'm being coy but please ask me about this" shitpost. I make a shitpost reply. That's all there is to it. Shitposts on this lovely forum all the way down. I feel like you're being more sensitive about this than both of us combined.

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

:hampants::hampants::hampants:
We loving hate each other, remember?!

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

:hampants::hampants::hampants:
Also this thread is almost entirely poo poo posts yes.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
And the voice on the phone was the BFC mod saying, "the poo poo posts are coming from INSIDE the thread, get out, get out!!"

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

potatoducks posted:

Hahaha what?

He makes a "I'm being coy but please ask me about this" shitpost. I make a shitpost reply. That's all there is to it. Shitposts on this lovely forum all the way down. I feel like you're being more sensitive about this than both of us combined.

This was my read on it too. Obvious "ask me about my giant penis pile of money" rather than :justpost:.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
We do NOT talk about our money in here, no sir no way

Glad I'm not the only one whose penis felt attacked, too

DJCobol
May 16, 2003

CALL OF DUTY! :rock:
Grimey Drawer
I've been paying down my mortgage with extra principal payments that cut my schedule from 30 years to 15 ($610 mortgage, extra $340 a month roughly). I don't plan on being in this house for 30 years, and not for even 15 honestly. I'm hoping to get out within the next few years, especially if Amazon's HQ2 comes to Nashville. Would it make more sense to dump that extra $340 into something else? I already max out a Roth IRA, 401(k), and HSA account. No debt except the mortgage, and a small amount left on a car payment. I already have a decent emergency fund as well.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

DJCobol posted:

I've been paying down my mortgage with extra principal payments that cut my schedule from 30 years to 15 ($610 mortgage, extra $340 a month roughly). I don't plan on being in this house for 30 years, and not for even 15 honestly. I'm hoping to get out within the next few years, especially if Amazon's HQ2 comes to Nashville. Would it make more sense to dump that extra $340 into something else? I already max out a Roth IRA, 401(k), and HSA account. No debt except the mortgage, and a small amount left on a car payment. I already have a decent emergency fund as well.

What's your interest rate? Is it fixed? How many years have you been in this mortgage? What is the LTV?

If the answers are low interest (<4%? <3.5%?) / 5+ years in / >20% ltv / no pmi etc then your option is to basically put it in a taxable brokerage account/CDs (2%) /high interest savings(1.5%) and save it to move and buy at your destination. This spreads your risk out of your house in case you have trouble selling it.

How stable are home values around you? How long do houses like yours (price, neighborhood, quality) sit on the market?

DJCobol
May 16, 2003

CALL OF DUTY! :rock:
Grimey Drawer

H110Hawk posted:

What's your interest rate? Is it fixed? How many years have you been in this mortgage? What is the LTV?

If the answers are low interest (<4%? <3.5%?) / 5+ years in / >20% ltv / no pmi etc then your option is to basically put it in a taxable brokerage account/CDs (2%) /high interest savings(1.5%) and save it to move and buy at your destination. This spreads your risk out of your house in case you have trouble selling it.

How stable are home values around you? How long do houses like yours (price, neighborhood, quality) sit on the market?
4% fixed, 1.5 years in. $124k loan, $115k left. No PMI since I put down 20% when I bought. Home values are increasing because Nashville is still growing like crazy. The 3 most recent condo sales around me similar to mine sold in a couple days.

All my other savings are sitting with Ally right now so I'm considering just dumping the extra principal into a HYSA instead of trying to get the money back when sell the house hopefully in couple of years.

BEHOLD: MY CAPE
Jan 11, 2004

DJCobol posted:

As above, what is your interest rate? If you can afford to refinance down to 15 fixed you will probably save money with a 1-2 year horizon to recoup refinancing costs. Sounds like your mortgage is already really cheap though which might increase your refinancing costs relative to the interest savings.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

DJCobol posted:

4% fixed, 1.5 years in. $124k loan, $115k left. No PMI since I put down 20% when I bought. Home values are increasing because Nashville is still growing like crazy. The 3 most recent condo sales around me similar to mine sold in a couple days.

I would pay down my mortgage for a bit longer so if you want to sell it isn't a problem to clear the mortgage. 4% isn't low and 1.5 years you are still paying a huge amount of interest. You can always recast your mortgage in another year or two and compound your early payoff amount. (reduce your payment but go down to just your current payments.)

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

Went out to lunch yesterday for a coworker birthday and the bill got split equally by the non employee birthdays and also we paid for the interns lunch so lunch cost way more than I anticipated

Birthdays are dumb you're s grown rear end adult!!

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

The Slack Lagoon posted:

Went out to lunch yesterday for a coworker birthday and the bill got split equally by the non employee birthdays and also we paid for the interns lunch so lunch cost way more than I anticipated

Birthdays are dumb you're s grown rear end adult!!

Unless your "share" of the tab was way under 50% of everyone else's I would consider this getting off lucky that 10 people didn't wind up with 3 people footing the bill. (Everyone throwing in $20 because they got a $5 app, $11 plate, and a $3 soda, ignoring/forgetting about tax and tip.)

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
"put it on your card and I'll Venmo you" is why I spend like 30% more than I ought to at restaurants, and end up with a venmo sweep account I drain for some dumb poo poo

Why am I so dumb

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

The internet makes you stupid.

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

Everyone was about the same meal cost because the resaltaurant had a fixed price 3 course menu where you had a few options.

Paid 20% of the bill for a 7 person meal. Not too bad, but it was about 120% more dollar wise than I had anticipated spending on lunch.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

"put it on your card and I'll Venmo you" is why I spend like 30% more than I ought to at restaurants, and end up with a venmo sweep account I drain for some dumb poo poo

Why am I so dumb

This is how you get it exactly correct??!? you are doing it way wrong.

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

I love capitalism!! DM me for the best investing advice!
Hey I'm not sure where to ask or how to ask but is there a good place here or on the forums to ask a project management question?

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

quote:

Hey I'm not sure where to ask or how to ask

Coincidentally, this is my most common issue when it comes to managing my projects. :v:

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

Sundae posted:

Coincidentally, this is my most common issue when it comes to managing my projects. :v:

Hey I need to go tell someone to gently caress off really fast, how does saying it like this sound...

DNK
Sep 18, 2004

What’s your project management question?

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
Can you share the question charter?

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

let's set up a ridiculously inconvenient meeting and spend far too long arguing on how to put together a BRD for the question

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

I have all the drops from BRD. Does anybody want to put together a Stratholme dead side group?

HamsterPolice
Apr 17, 2016

How hosed would I be if I quit my job without another job lined up? I hate my current job and have enough savings to survive. The idea would be to use the new time from not working to applying and interviewing for jobs since it's really hard right now to juggle both my job and interviewing. I keep having to take vacation days for instance.

edit: sorry if this is the wrong thread to ask in.

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

DNK posted:

What’s your project management question?

I'm trying to do research on estimating project time and all I remember from college was how to do lines of code estimation but I don't want to sound like an out of date rear end in a top hat. Are there good resources for methodologies and things like that or do I just google like hell?

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

HamsterPolice posted:

How hosed would I be if I quit my job without another job lined up? I hate my current job and have enough savings to survive. The idea would be to use the new time from not working to applying and interviewing for jobs since it's really hard right now to juggle both my job and interviewing. I keep having to take vacation days for instance.

Don't do it. You'll hate burning through your emergency savings and not having health insurance/paying out the rear end for COBRA even more than you hate your job. I've been on both sides of that equation (just recently got a new job, left a job I hated and a boss who was abusive), and not having a job while desperately searching for one was by far the most stressful time of my life. I say use up your vacation time or abuse sick time if you need to to go to interviews, send out resumes on the clock if you can.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Sirotan posted:

Don't do it. You'll hate burning through your emergency savings and not having health insurance/paying out the rear end for COBRA even more than you hate your job. I've been on both sides of that equation (just recently got a new job, left a job I hated and a boss who was abusive), and not having a job while desperately searching for one was by far the most stressful time of my life. I say use up your vacation time or abuse sick time if you need to to go to interviews, send out resumes on the clock if you can.

Echoing this, I have about 6 weeks of vacation accrued, plus savings, and even though I'm a handshake and a figleaf interview away from a new job I'm not bailing until I have an offer because I don't want to deal with treating those respective balances like a ticking clock even if things are for the moment looking good on the other side.

DNK
Sep 18, 2004

Veskit posted:

I'm trying to do research on estimating project time and all I remember from college was how to do lines of code estimation but I don't want to sound like an out of date rear end in a top hat. Are there good resources for methodologies and things like that or do I just google like hell?

Sounds like coding, which I have very little as-a-job experience with.

Broadly, project management is about timelines and communication: communicating to people when their timelines are coming up; QED.

Understanding timelines is an exercise in knowing what you need to have done and whether those things have dependencies. This is the rabbit hole that needs the most inspection. In order to do x, I need to do y. In order to do y, a and b must align the signs, etc.

If you got all of that, google GAANT and use whatever tools at your disposal to recreate project plans that look like that. There are Excel, Google Docs, OpenOffice, whatever versions of makin those things.

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

If i worked with a competent company that would be manageable but instead i'm trying to design a template of sorts that anyone on our PM team could just ask to be filled in and then the programmers scope would be done. There are a few methods I just forgot them.

We can create gaant charts all day long with ease but people just make up the dates because they don't know how to figure out how long steps take.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

HamsterPolice posted:

Two contrarian thoughts juxtaposed to the sensible replies you already got:

1) Why resign when you can just quit giving a poo poo and collect paychecks until you're fired? If you work for a soulless corporate megalith it may take a year or more from the time you stop giving a poo poo until the time they finally fire you. (Doesn't apply if you work in an insular industry where your current managers can blacklist you and end your career, but that's the exception not the rule.)

2) No point giving up the paychecks until you've drained all your PTO, at least.

Higgy
Jul 6, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Veskit posted:

Yes! Finally, something relevant to my job!

Methodologies on time estimation vary but you're going to get a few flavors:

- Bottoms up estimates from subject matter experts for each task in the project
-The "I've done this before and think it should take X "
-I did all this work but I have the budget you gave me anyway so we'll do it for X or less than X

https://www.greycampus.com/opencampus/project-management-professional/how-is-estimation-done

It's also helpful to break the tasks down into common scopes into a WBS (Work Breakdown Structure)

https://www.pmi.org/learning/library/applying-work-breakdown-structure-project-lifecycle-6979

This makes it easier to organize the work so you're no overwhelmed with a spaghetti shitpile of schedule tasks

If you want to start getting fancy, you can calculate early and late starts for your network of tasks and figure out your critical path (the set of activities that determine that final end date of the project) and where your slack is in other parts. This is how I'm able to say "this absolutely can't be late" on one thing and "idgaf we got a couple weeks" on others.

https://www.pmi.org/learning/library/critical-path-method-calculations-scheduling-8040

I've actually been toying with creating a Project Management thread but I'm not sure how much interested there would be in such a thing.

Higgy fucked around with this message at 01:59 on Mar 30, 2018

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

HamsterPolice posted:

Depends a bit on your industry but since there is 1.1 people to job openings right now (can't find the source but it was in one of my podcasts I listen to) it shouldn't be too hard to find something. I usually side with the guys above on waiting but if you were going to do it with the way the job market is now it is probably the best time.

Higgy posted:

-I did all this work but I have the budget you gave me anyway so we'll do it for X or less than X

https://www.greycampus.com/opencampus/project-management-professional/how-is-estimation-done

It's also helpful to break the tasks down into common scopes into a WBS (Work Breakdown Structure)

https://www.pmi.org/learning/library/applying-work-breakdown-structure-project-lifecycle-6979

This makes it easier to organize the work so you're no overwhelmed with a spaghetti shitpile of schedule tasks

If you want to start getting fancy, you can calculate early and late starts for your network of tasks and figure out your critical path (the set of activities that determine that final end date of the project) and where your slack is in other parts. This is how I'm able to say "this absolutely can't be late" on one thing and "idgaf we got a couple weeks" on others.

https://www.pmi.org/learning/library/critical-path-method-calculations-scheduling-8040

I've actually been toying with creating a Project Management thread but I'm not sure how much interested there would be in such a thing.

I would read this thread as long as you don't reference the PMI... just a money grab organization with the PMP and all that. I am pretty sure the PMP cert = I have no idea how to be a PM. I mean lets be serious about how simple the concepts of critical path, float, scoping, cash flows, etc. are. Very easy.

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

Higgy posted:

This is a great resource, after I digest it I'll see what I can use from it but the concepts of wbs look very useful

Higgy
Jul 6, 2005

Grimey Drawer

spwrozek posted:

I would read this thread as long as you don't reference the PMI... just a money grab organization with the PMP and all that. I am pretty sure the PMP cert = I have no idea how to be a PM. I mean lets be serious about how simple the concepts of critical path, float, scoping, cash flows, etc. are. Very easy.

PMI is still a fine resource for referencing core concepts. The PMBOK is also a handy reference guide but it doesn’t have anything one couldn’t find anywhere else.

The PMP, its other myriad of certs and its chapter fees are a rip, though, you’re right. Its mostly a check-the-box cert, especially in my own org.

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

"The faster you use your cooldowns, the faster you can use them again"

Higgy posted:

PMI is still a fine resource for referencing core concepts. The PMBOK is also a handy reference guide but it doesn’t have anything one couldn’t find anywhere else.

The PMP, its other myriad of certs and its chapter fees are a rip, though, you’re right. Its mostly a check-the-box cert, especially in my own org.

yup I was just hiring PMs the other day and one of the big shifts we went through as a company was to allow our senior positions to anyone with a "suitable professional credential or training in project management" which allowed me to get out of hiring PMPs and hire people with Agile backgrounds instead...

though I do have one PMP in the group coming in he was just so fantastic and willing to change methodologies we couldn't say no

Higgy
Jul 6, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Mad Wack posted:

yup I was just hiring PMs the other day and one of the big shifts we went through as a company was to allow our senior positions to anyone with a "suitable professional credential or training in project management" which allowed me to get out of hiring PMPs and hire people with Agile backgrounds instead...

though I do have one PMP in the group coming in he was just so fantastic and willing to change methodologies we couldn't say no

Pretty much. The PMP just tells me they understand some basic concepts, and can pass a test. It says gently caress all about pm skills.

I think I’ll do up a thread tonight on it. Seems like there’s quite a few PM hiding out around here and I like to get other view points on how to approach these things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Higgy posted:

I may have been a bit over dramatic....haha but looking forward to the thread.