Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bistromatic
Oct 3, 2004

And turn the inner eye
To see its path...
Miniatures Painting - It's amazing how much work and money had to go into something so useless.

Is that too long for a thread title?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

It's amazing how much work and money had to go into something so useless.

Stop talking about yourself

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

It's amazing how much work and money had to go into something so useless.

But enough about Star Citizen

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats

moths posted:

It might be a weird interaction between the miniature plastic and the paint. Reaper Bones had a similar problem, but after you wait long enough it should stabilize.

(It might take much longer than you'd like.)

Is it days or weeks?

DiHK
Feb 4, 2013

by Azathoth
They are really taking the skill out of making models aren't they.

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

F-F-FRIDAY NIGHT MOTHERFUCKERS

DiHK posted:

They are really taking the skill out of making models aren't they.

I get the suspicion this stuff probably works well for titty anime girls that sit on your shelves, but may not translate to miniatures

DiHK
Feb 4, 2013

by Azathoth
WHich is fine for weebs that want their titty models but I'm sure it will go on gunpla too.

It's like those prepainted model kits from revell or whatever. It's a general dumbing down. Eventually they're gonna come for my decal setting fluid and I'm gonna be all "but I didn't say anything when they made those titty models!".

Bistromatic
Oct 3, 2004

And turn the inner eye
To see its path...
outlaw pre-blushed animes while we have the chance

GuardianOfAsgaard
Feb 1, 2012

Their steel shines red
With enemy blood
It sings of victory
Granted by the Gods
Cross posting my Telemon Dread:

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

DiHK posted:

WHich is fine for weebs that want their titty models but I'm sure it will go on gunpla too.

It's like those prepainted model kits from revell or whatever. It's a general dumbing down. Eventually they're gonna come for my decal setting fluid and I'm gonna be all "but I didn't say anything when they made those titty models!".

I dunno man. The method makes sense for fixed pose models, but it would be a nightmare on standard fully articulated Gunpla. Especially since the trend is towards more interior details, full skeletons even on HG kits, etc.

Also, there are very few Gundams with skin. So I don't think realistic skin tone is a concern.

DiHK
Feb 4, 2013

by Azathoth
I'm thinking already picked out panel lines and and other resessed details for the gunpla.

Edit:also I'm old and paranoid and this is a new tech/old dog issue.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

DiHK posted:

I'm thinking already picked out panel lines and and other resessed details for the gunpla.

Maybe, but that's already easily done with a Gunam marker and a small stickers. whereas there's no easy solution for applying skin tone to regular plastic

There's also the issue of cost. Maybe we could see this done for like, Real Grades or Perfect Grades, but High Grades are still supposed to be for all ages. If they do this two layer plastic thing for High Grade kits, that'll drive up the cost and put them out of reach of kids.

DiHK
Feb 4, 2013

by Azathoth

Guy Goodbody posted:

Maybe, but that's already easily done with a Gunam marker and a small stickers. whereas there's no easy solution for applying skin tone to regular plastic

Of course it's already easily done. Thats my point. I can do a good skin tone now because I spent time as a teen trying to get enamel testors paints to look good.

Look: this tech means less hobby skill and more revenue from collectors. It's fine by itself but I'm worried that one day it will be like what you have in the Michaels model kit section today: A dozen pre finished screw together kits, 4 snap-tites and a 1/72nd B-17.

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

When the light turns green, you go. When the light turns red, you stop. But what do you do when the light turns blue with orange and lavender spots?

DiHK posted:

Of course it's already easily done. Thats my point. I can do a good skin tone now because I spent time as a teen trying to get enamel testors paints to look good.

Look: this tech means less hobby skill and more revenue from collectors. It's fine by itself but I'm worried that one day it will be like what you have in the Michaels model kit section today: A dozen pre finished screw together kits, 4 snap-tites and a 1/72nd B-17.

You can always paint over their plastic layers?

DiHK
Feb 4, 2013

by Azathoth
I don't collect titty models and I'm talking about the industry?

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

DiHK posted:

So you're worried that the hobby will become accessible to filthy casuals and reduce it's value for elitist try hard collectors? Is this the DB FighterZ of the hobby world?

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Raged posted:

Is it days or weeks?

Hopefully just days. If you can airbrush primer that would avoid it, even a cheap airgun and garbage compressor should be good enough to avoid the problem (If it's indeed caused by a weird solvent interaction.)

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Zark the Damned posted:

So you're worried that the hobby will become accessible to filthy casuals and reduce it's value for elitist try hard collectors? Is this the DB FighterZ of the hobby world?

I fully support awesome pre-colored 40K figs if they're that level of quality.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
NBD

If you set up an ebay watch someone will eventually post it for cost.

Halfway through my last "Arsies' Painting Toolbox" book and the "color theory" portion is basically "I wasn't taught this, so here is my take" which is a jumbled mess. Technically, it's still "theory" I guess. But he does explain why he thinks one way vs everything else I've read.

Philthy fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Mar 29, 2018

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

F-F-FRIDAY NIGHT MOTHERFUCKERS

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

I fully support awesome pre-colored 40K figs if they're that level of quality.

Agreed. Anyone who doesn't value easy entry into wargaming is being a pedant about it

DiHK
Feb 4, 2013

by Azathoth

Zark the Damned posted:

No, I'm worried about the knock on effect to the model kit industry, which is already a shrinking, old-man hobby.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

DiHK posted:

No, I'm worried about the knock on effect to the model kit industry, which is already a shrinking, old-man hobby.

Is it? There's more Gunpla than ever, Kotbukiya is putting out a new line of models every six months it seems like, and is bringing Zoids out of the high-end collectors niche with a big all-ages push this summer, Max Factory did those Dougram kits and just launched their Minimum Factory line. It seems like modeling is bigger than ever

DiHK
Feb 4, 2013

by Azathoth
I should have clarified historical model kits. Gunpla is absolutely exploding and I didn't even know about the Dougram kits. Historical are just slightly ahead of train collectors.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
Historical kits are also better than ever

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
Ouh, I never knew about the Dougram kits either. I used to have those as a kid, but they were mostly die cast metal that came in two sizes. 3" and 10". All the armor came off like the MG Gunpla kits of today. I have them boxed up somewhere.

Would love to build these. We need 48 hour "days".

DiHK
Feb 4, 2013

by Azathoth

This is sarcasm right?

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
Shameless x-posting tour. Finished my Bastiladon.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

That's a good looking dinosaur.

I like the color choices for the shell and skin.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
Hell yes, very vibrant.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
Thanks, color choice was the most challenging part and I took a lot of input.

Booley
Apr 25, 2010
I CAN BARELY MAKE IT A WEEK WITHOUT ACTING LIKE AN ASSHOLE
Grimey Drawer

Deified Data posted:

I love this. Bright vibrant armies are my favorite.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.

Philthy posted:

NBD

If you set up an ebay watch someone will eventually post it for cost.

Halfway through my last "Arsies' Painting Toolbox" book and the "color theory" portion is basically "I wasn't taught this, so here is my take" which is a jumbled mess. Technically, it's still "theory" I guess. But he does explain why he thinks one way vs everything else I've read.

Giraldez's second book is a little better about breaking down the steps, but that first one is definitely

presented entirely straight.

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

When the light turns green, you go. When the light turns red, you stop. But what do you do when the light turns blue with orange and lavender spots?

DiHK posted:

This is sarcasm right?

No?

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

DiHK posted:

This is sarcasm right?

I mean, they have less explicit depiction of the machine-gunning of nazis than an animu revolving around recreational tank combat should, but there are much worse things in the world?

It's not like any of them are T'a"u players or something?

:shrug:

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

The bonds of blood transcend all others.
But no blood runs stronger than that of Sanguinius
Grimey Drawer

KV-2 best tank. It's a travesty that we don't have an analogue in 40k. Don't even try to talk to me about demolishers. IT'S NOT THE SAME

Wazzu
Feb 28, 2008

Are you sure I'm winning the Rumble? That does'nt seem right.....

Deified Data posted:

Because it's a showy model, and a relatively large surface to practice the technique, do you want to try crystal painting?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ACT-RNk2GkY
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=72trAAavqP4

GuardianOfAsgaard posted:

Probably thin your red more in the future- it's comparatively thick.

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

oh my god is that a circular saw that does not go in my mouth aaaaagh
Does anyone have recommendations for a clip-on desk lamp kinda like this?

I suppose it doesn't have to have a really wide bulb like that, but I thought that'd be a good way to minimize shadows. Clip-on would be ideal though, since I'm trying to do a setup really similar to the one in the picture.

Mugaaz
Mar 1, 2008

WHY IS THERE ALWAYS SOME JUSTICE WARRIOR ON EVERY FORUM
:qq::qq::qq:
The really long bulb ones like that are really expensive, like $100-150. Replacing the bulbs is also a legit nightmare. I think you're better off just getting 2-3 cheaper clamping lamps with nice LED daylight bulbs.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
Finally finished devil demon Imp dude. Used a spare axe from another mini.

Philthy fucked around with this message at 06:33 on Mar 30, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost of Babyhead
Jun 28, 2008
Grimey Drawer

GuardianOfAsgaard posted:

Looking sharp! I'm curious about the base: Is that a set of cork layers with overlaid texture paint forming the rock there, with the base proper being covered by crackle paint? I'm interested in achieving a similar effect, and want to figure out a way to roughen up the surface of the cork sheeting I'm using to make the terrain.