Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

iNteg
Dec 17, 2007

MF_James posted:

Barbs are cool, except you are a fuckoff huge race without the benefits that the other ones get (troll regen, ogre frontal stun immunity), I think cattes have lovely racials too, though I'm not sure if those racials are still a thing on live servers. Obviously rogues can't be ogres/trolls and cattes aren't available until space moon party luclin.

Here’s the thing, barb rogues 100% own bones in classic to Velious, just because of the Dark Elf mask fixing any size issues you have, and the differences in starting str/sta being leaps and bounds ahead of other rogue races. And yes polar bear hats.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

onesixtwo
Apr 27, 2014

Don't you realize that being nice just makes you get hurt?
I always wanted a Gnome Rogue, but god drat are those stats just horrendous until Velious raid gear stat caps everything. Daybreak just needs to give me a gnome illusion mask on the cash shop, I’d buy one for every character. Gnome Monk would just own bones.

Givin
Jan 24, 2008
Givin of the Internet Hates You

nawledgelambo posted:

You're thinking about the class combo too much, honestly. Enchanter can be fun in a friends' group scenario, but boring as gently caress for raids. Shamans are my favorite class that I never played. Great dps, great off-healers, and an awesome stats padder. I also am partial to druids now too because I've seen them played as a pure dps class and they were out-parsing monks.

Anyways what server are you going to?

We decided on Corinav. I have decent twink kits for when I played on Phinny to get chars up to the PoP level, but everyone else wanted to play nostalgia through live, and half of Kunark (gently caress VP with a stick) and beyond. I'm playing with Taliesn and Aggan from Lanys.

I decided against shaman again and switched to cleric because having rez on standby later seemed better because of the time lost if we gently caress up. Plus it's something I've never played before (straight healer). I was always the dumbass rogue. Everyone agreed we can prob find everything else we need provided we had the holy trinity covered. But you're defiantly right. I'm way overthinking it.

How many people do you need to call up an instance for the old raids like Naggy on Phinny and are there level cap restrictions that apply? I didn't get that far enough to go back and roll older content and if all they want to do is roll over internet dragons, we can grab a few more people and do that just fine there and get to some of the real meat of the game we missed out on. Corinav life seems like it's going to be very very expensive. Not sad about missing GoD or Omens.

Thank you guys for helping us relive our midlife video game MMO crisis.

onesixtwo posted:

I always wanted a Gnome Rogue, but god drat are those stats just horrendous until Velious raid gear stat caps everything. Daybreak just needs to give me a gnome illusion mask on the cash shop, I’d buy one for every character. Gnome Monk would just own bones.

When Lanys opened in 99, I made a gnome rogue and dumped all starting points into agility, because agility and dex are always rogue stats right? I was overweight with a small set of banded.

Tai
Mar 8, 2006
If you are going for the long haul, I'd really think about taking the Cleric over a Shaman honestly.

onesixtwo
Apr 27, 2014

Cleric for a pocket Rez is absolutely a requirement for me with a group of friends / boxing setup. You are spot on about the time-lost aspect. It is much less drastic on these servers if you are playing with an exp pot up, but losing 30minutes+ worth of pulls is never a good feeling. Especially demoralizing if the entire group wipes.

Givin posted:

When Lanys opened in 99, I made a gnome rogue and dumped all starting points into agility, because agility and dex are always rogue stats right? I was overweight with a small set of banded.

I originally created a Troll Shaman and immediately deleted them after playing on a Halfling for minutes because of their innate run-speed bonus.

nawledgelambo
Nov 8, 2016

Immersion chariot

Givin posted:

We decided on Corinav. I have decent twink kits for when I played on Phinny to get chars up to the PoP level, but everyone else wanted to play nostalgia through live, and half of Kunark (gently caress VP with a stick) and beyond. I'm playing with Taliesn and Aggan from Lanys.

I'm just worried you're going to bore yourself to death playing a cleric before it even begins, especially playing a pure healer. Also, I remember Taliesn cruising around every now and then.

Why Coirnav? I run a pretty well-established guild here, with a surprising amount of Lanys folk here in it. I know the disconnect is PoP-lock, but that's as far as I want to go anyways. Tinzi, Ashland, Farfale, myself, Samwen, and a couple others I'm sure I'm forgetting. Not trying to twist your arm or nothin' by the way Givin; just figured you might have fun with the OG crowd. Feel free to tell me to gently caress off and I'll get the hint.

I actually think Coirnav is surprisingly busy right now, too, so I don't blame you. What did your friends end up selecting?

Givin
Jan 24, 2008
They decided on the SK and Bard after feedack from this thread. I also thought about the cleric burnout too, but I decided I'd play an alt monk during the times and days we couldn't all be on at the same time. Long gone are the days of playing 20 hours straight and spending the remaining 4 poo poo talking on the forums. I somehow ended up with a career and family. Plus I have never played a healing role in an MMO before so it will be a first for me.

We'd do Agnaar with the OGs but after talking about it we decided to give it a hard run and get our nostalgia fix through all the content we played, and if we still were solid on playing, everything after PoP would be new to us. We quit after clearing Plane of Time, before they even made that instanced. If that server was a non lock, we'd roll there in a heartbeat. The offer is appreciated tho. Corinav so far has been just busy enough to have all the choice camps claimed, and not enough people to open another pick. Prob a lot different with Guk and Sol B of course. I'll probably drag them to out of the way camps like Kedge Keep if we can find DPS with big enough nuts to go there. Long story short, probably should have waited till Kunark to get in but hey, pre nerf mask of deception is too tempting.

We shall see if we can stick with it.

onesixtwo
Apr 27, 2014

Givin posted:

I'll probably drag them to out of the way camps like Kedge Keep if we can find DPS with big enough nuts to go there. Long story short, probably should have waited till Kunark to get in but hey, pre nerf mask of deception is too tempting.

I just want you to know that I 100% support these two sentences and would love to promote more Kedge groups on Corinav.

Orty
May 14, 2007

Approaching 60 on my bard thanks to the exp bonus going on, so I will have a 60 Rogue and Bard soon. Need to start looking into raiding guilds, preferably casual. Mostly just wanting to hit up epic fights for myself and others, and maybe hit up some Velious and under raids. Any recommendations for guilds on Agnarr?

FranktheBank
May 14, 2007
In the beginning...the universe was created. his has been widely regarded as a bad move and has made a lot of people very angry.

Orty posted:

Approaching 60 on my bard thanks to the exp bonus going on, so I will have a 60 Rogue and Bard soon. Need to start looking into raiding guilds, preferably casual. Mostly just wanting to hit up epic fights for myself and others, and maybe hit up some Velious and under raids. Any recommendations for guilds on Agnarr?
i
I think there are guilds like Darkest Prism, Defiant Kings, Shadow Requiem? they might do old Velious content. I dunno a lot about the lower end guilds.

The guild myself (and another nerd here) are officer of doesn't do any official Velious content anymore. We raid 3 nights a week and just dont have time for non-luclin stuff on official raid nights.

Tai
Mar 8, 2006
4 days till Phinny receives the blood bath that is PoR!

Doctor Party
Jan 3, 2004

Doctor Party Woohoo!
Anyone have a good description for what live server raid guilds are doing these days? Are guilds of level 100+ players actively raiding on the busier servers?

Are they through all the current expansion raids or has lower subscribership caused a bottleneck?

I looked at this raid progression thing on alakhazam: http://everquest.allakhazam.com/wiki/eq:raid_progression_guide

It looks like the latest thing listed is from Underfoot. That's content from 2009. Was there new big raid content or have guilds just not been able to clear it? Or alternatively is EQ/DB just not releasing the same kind of high level raid stuff anymore?

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES
Guilds still clear current content fine

http://www.elitegamerslounge.com/home/progress/

I don't think many bother updating though. Maybe I'm wrong.

xZAOx fucked around with this message at 20:35 on Mar 26, 2018

Doctor Party
Jan 3, 2004

Doctor Party Woohoo!
Kind of a bummer that data base goes back to gates of discord but not before. I raided a ton from velious to pop. Would be cool to see how comparably fast we were clearing stuff. I was in divine alliance on cazic Thule. If anyone goes back that far and happened to be on that server.

khysanth
Jun 10, 2009

Still love you, Homar

nm

Givin
Jan 24, 2008
I'm hating coirnav. Just having the worst luck finding camps/picks open for our group. Seems like even the out of the way places are camped to hell and back.

Long cooldown on pick timer is making it difficult finding a spot, and sometimes getting everyone loaded into the same pick causes issues. I know you can see what pick your group is in, sometimes it doesn't plop people down right.

Kinda wish they would start the game at Kunark from now on. Ah well. Everquest.

Kazak_Hstan
Apr 28, 2014

Grimey Drawer
What level are you? I have found the grind from unrest onward pretty okay for finding camps.

Givin
Jan 24, 2008
Yeah the unrest grind is a pisser and I'm betting that's where people burn out first. Just depends on if you get in and everything around you clicks or not. We're all mid teens after a few false starts. Unrest really chapped our asses tonight but I figured it would so it did not disappoint. Forgot that ghouls need magic weapons to hit, heh. We moved over to upper guk and did fine.

Question. Do ogres keep their stun immunity when they use the mask of deception or an illusion wand? Our SK doesn't enjoy tanking and I'm going to swap to either a Paladin or SK. I like both and will pick between those two.

Our group comp is now:
Pal or SK / Bard / Shaman / Cleric / Druid / Undecided DPS as a 6th

I don't think we'll kill fast for along time, but we will have staying power. So far everyone is still committed but we'll see what happens after the exp bonus goes away.

Givin fucked around with this message at 07:00 on Mar 29, 2018

Kazak_Hstan
Apr 28, 2014

Grimey Drawer
Oh, I guess that's one wrinkle. I had an easy time in unrest because i just lfged solo and joined existing groups. I could see it being annoying to take a group there and find stuff.

Philonius
Jun 12, 2005

Kazak_Hstan posted:

Oh, I guess that's one wrinkle. I had an easy time in unrest because i just lfged solo and joined existing groups. I could see it being annoying to take a group there and find stuff.

Yeah, I had the same experience. Taking a group and finding an uncamped MR was a bit of a mess, but had relatively little issue just finding a spot in existing groups.

iNteg
Dec 17, 2007
I leveled with pugs and anyone who wanted me in the group, UR wasn’t that bad, the XP has flown by. I’m dreading lguk and solb more than anything.

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES

iNteg posted:

I leveled with pugs and anyone who wanted me in the group

So you solo'd, got it

gepgepgep
May 22, 2006
If you're able to bind nearby, I'd recommend just living in UGuk then going to LGuk around 27 to Bedroom.

I've had very few issues with pick timer. Be flexible and move your group around killing mobs if the camp you want is taken, picking over to try the next once timer is up. I moved from Scryer to LGuk ZL to 3way. If 3way is camped you can normally find priest area open, just make sure to lull that center before pulling.

Just hit low 30s on my ENC and having lots of fun. Any goons in guilds (Coirnav) that plan to raid on 2 nights a week, or in guilds that use loot council for distribution?

gepgepgep
May 22, 2006

iNteg posted:

I leveled with pugs and anyone who wanted me in the group, UR wasn’t that bad, the XP has flown by. I’m dreading lguk and solb more than anything.
I've found LGuk to be better than unrest. More mob distribution. At least half my groups are very competent. I'll quickly leave the bad ones, or remove people for ones I'm leading.

Some big box groups camping, but overall the drama feels pretty mild for nameds from what I've seen. OOC has been almost squeaky clean.

Givin
Jan 24, 2008
Outside of one instance of "lol the entire game is a DPS race go back to 1999 scrubs" we had one guy shout at as at commonlands Dervs, I haven't ran into any shitters of note. More along the lines of people who haven't played since 2002 and expect the same game culture they left back then. I'm tempted to go look at Runnyeye since the premium krono loot doesn't drop right now. There may actually be mobs to slay.

Kazak_Hstan
Apr 28, 2014

Grimey Drawer
I have had people in two different PUGs train other people out of camps. Not even for krono, one was for FP in unrest and the other was I think rear end/sup training some other group for “stealing mobs.”

I think they have read stories of Twisted Legion monks or whatever from previous TLPs going hog wild and decided to internalize it.

Arven
Sep 23, 2007
I've been doing PUGs in unrest the last two evenings, and so far every Monk I've grouped with has been a shitlord that need rolls everything and bails after 20 minutes if we can't get a MR camp. What is it about monks that attracts assholes?

Kazak_Hstan
Apr 28, 2014

Grimey Drawer
Needing on everything seems to be the server default, or at least thats been a majority of groups i’ve been in. People seem pretty willing to pass if someone speaks up about an upgrade, though I’ve yet to see that on a *~*krono*~* drop.

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES

Arven posted:

I've been doing PUGs in unrest the last two evenings, and so far every Monk I've grouped with has been a shitlord that need rolls everything and bails after 20 minutes if we can't get a MR camp. What is it about monks that attracts assholes?

1. They're the top DPS in the game (well, at least on Phinny, and have been for a long time). Not sure about on Corinav, but monks there now know where they're headed
2. They have FD, so they don't really have to worry about being trained or anything
3. They can exact the train pain revenge on whoever they want
4. If they're the puller, and they usually are, they're setting the pace for the group and often leading it. That means they're doing a bit more work than the rest

All that combined means they get to be pickier.

And yeah - "rolling need" has gotten to where it's just easier. Speak up if it's a no drop piece of gear.

Avenged
Jun 9, 2005
Welp, I hit 60 on my paladin in Agnarr. What’s the raiding guild consensus? Looking to get in on something before PoP hits.

onesixtwo
Apr 27, 2014

Yeah the needing everything isn’t my favorite but it has been consistently expected in every group, so no big deal. I’ve not had issues with asking for an upgrade out of someone if they won the roll and can’t use it. Everyone really does seem to get more friendly the moment you stop humping unrest.

Can’t speak towards other assholes, but if I’m pulling for 30 minutes and only getting green or below because we can’t find an open camp, I’m logging or doing something else. It’s not fun running in circles on its own, it is even worse when you are just running in circles with no exp as the outcome.

vvvvv yeah this is a huge part of it. I may pull for 3 hours straight without a single afk break, I think that is worth throwing my my name into the random lottery machine. Same for any healer or caster that has been helping keep kills smooth. Friend / guild groups? NBG. You are dungeoning to gear up for a common cause. Random pugs? You’re on your own, the EXP is the common factor bringing you together.

onesixtwo fucked around with this message at 01:06 on Mar 30, 2018

Philonius
Jun 12, 2005

Arven posted:

To be honest, if the item is droppable everyone 'needs' it. I can turn that item into something useful for me too, I just have to go through the EC tunnel to do it. Unless you're grouping with friends, of course.

Kazak_Hstan
Apr 28, 2014

Grimey Drawer
I'm generally of the opinion that the goodwill that comes from passing on something someone else needs outweighs the short-term gain from selling the item. So i usually pass if someone asks, always helps to remembered well.

FranktheBank
May 14, 2007
In the beginning...the universe was created. his has been widely regarded as a bad move and has made a lot of people very angry.
It kinda depends, imo. I think all pugs should default be all-need, instead of thinking nbg is a given. Then, if the person wins, or if the group decides to give an item to someone, that's a choice. A priest class or a knight in Hamlord gets hosed if its nbg.

Solarin
Nov 15, 2007

Givin posted:

Outside of one instance of "lol the entire game is a DPS race go back to 1999 scrubs" we had one guy shout at as at commonlands Dervs, I haven't ran into any shitters of note. More along the lines of people who haven't played since 2002 and expect the same game culture they left back then. I'm tempted to go look at Runnyeye since the premium krono loot doesn't drop right now. There may actually be mobs to slay.

Hey if your trio is in the late teen levels then Runnyeye might work well. I leveled there boxing an ench/Mage and started on the sporali floor around 18.

The next floor down has a ton of mobs and mostly warrior/rogue types with some wizards and paladins(zekspeakers). There is some insane clusterfuck mob pathing through parts of second and fourth floors so you really need to pick your camp carefully and not wander into the goblin highway.

FranktheBank
May 14, 2007

Avenged posted:

Welp, I hit 60 on my paladin in Agnarr. What’s the raiding guild consensus? Looking to get in on something before PoP hits.

I apologize for your class choice (I am also a paladin). It depends on what you want to do and what times you are available. There is a huge amount of end-game raiding guilds. Only 1 really does open world content - Faceless Empire. If you enjoy batphones and/or racing for server first (there is no one racing against you), then that is the place.

Off the top of my head, here are some end-game guilds; Flames of Reverence, Addictions, Mess, Fourth Meal, Zurdula Inc, Knights of Vallon Zek and The Regime are all pretty decent guilds that I have either had good or neutral interactions with.

Trucidation, Rusty Dagger, and Pitfall are also end-game guilds, but I've had lovely encounters with consistently.

I'm an officer of What The Guk, we are also in the end-game raiding category, but we lean towards the far more casual raiding (20% attendance, no splitting raids).

I would advise you to post your availability/desired raid days and times and find a guild that fits you. We do Tues/Thurs 7pm est and Sun 5pm est.

Good luck buddy!

Steampunk Hitler is also an officer of WTG, but he's a dumb warrior that got suckered into doing DKP for the guild.

Philonius
Jun 12, 2005

FranktheBank posted:

It kinda depends, imo. I think all pugs should default be all-need, instead of thinking nbg is a given. Then, if the person wins, or if the group decides to give an item to someone, that's a choice. A priest class or a knight in Hamlord gets hosed if its nbg.

This exactly. NBG would be fine if all sorts of stuff can drop and it's just random luck, but any given camp usually only drops something good for a few classes. It's just not fair to anyone else there if they never get a thing.

Doctor Party
Jan 3, 2004

Doctor Party Woohoo!
Ok anyone have advice on how to take down Velketor given our group?

My friend and I are 3 boxing and have mercs for each toon. Although my wife is mildly interested in EQ and can be convinced to play a toon for me, so I only have to two box (true love haha).

Me: 61 Mage, 60 Warrior, 59 Bard

Friend: 59 SK, 59 Druid, 55 Enchanter

6 Mercs could be anything but in theory we would go:
Healer, Healer, 4 Melee DPS (given he's pretty caster resistant and we have a bard and enchanter for haste)

I was thinking group 1:
Warrior
Druid
Bard
Merc Healer
2x Merc melee dps

Group 2:
Mage + water pet ? (given spell resistant fire pet may be wrong way to go?)
SK
Enchanter
Merc Healer
2x Merc Melee DPS

I know Velk hits between 800-1275 from comments on allakazam. Some are super old posts. Warrior has full defiant gear but nothing better than that, like 7500 hp. Not sure if I should just put warrior with all healers or maybe exchange some of the melee mercs for extra healers. Also unknown to me if enchanter can charm the velk guards and use them? Or if the guards or velk are slowable? I know he's super magic resistant allegedly.

Any thoughts? We are trying to tackle old stuff without actually boxing a cleric haha.

Worst case we all die and learn. Then rezz for 96% and maybe all get 3-4 levels and try again. Or change the group make up to more healers or whatever.

suuma
Apr 2, 2009
Don't know if they'll tank Velketor without fleeing, but a 60 j1 tank merc probably has more hp/ac than a 60 warrior.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Daunte Vicknabb
Feb 22, 2005

You are already dead
I was having a ton of fun up to level 35. Then in one day in LGuk, I had our tank pick us over for absolutely no reason into 6 adds wiping the group, immediately imploding that one (at Frenzy). Right after, I replaced a friend in a Hamlord camp, and after a few minutes of everything going mostly ok we proceded to get trained 3 times in under an hour by random idiots literally running the entire zone to Hamlord hoping they would somehow survive. Next day, doing Live side, got killed three times while pulling because Feign failed. I'm pretty much over this poo poo already, I wanna reroll as a Mage or some other braindead character where I can tab out when someone else does the hard work but leveling through the 20s again seems loving miserable.

tl;dr I rolled a Monk not knowing how feign has been reworked and that I'd always have to pull despite this poo poo, and I loving hate my class now that I'm mid 30s