Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

The call is coming from inside Dr. House
Grimey Drawer

Beastie posted:

Why is this such a big loving deal? Just make up your own reason, jesus.
my pet cougar who was on fire and then exploded a nearby made up drug canister, is back alive and at full health from a few simple pats, but what is really ruining my immersion here is that the game tells me "you're about to go out of bounds and respawn" and goddammit that's just not realistic

why can't I report to the FBI field office, have this all wrapped up by another team, go home, remove my pants and take a poo poo, maybe pay some bills and watch netflix or suffer from PTSD from the constant gunfire and wolverine chasing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
I like the game, and its pretty.

And you could literally put the spawn rate of baddies to x0.1 and Id love the game more. What are the odds of this being moddable at some point?

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

WOULD YOU ACCOMPANY ME ON A BRISK WALK? I WOULD LIKE TO SPEAK WITH YOU!!

So I figured out where your hirelings go when they're not out with you. They're all chilling at the 8-bit Pizza Bar in Faith's region. It's kind of west-northwest of the Jail.

I drove over there for some reason and saw Hurk outside with his rocket launcher and wondered why he was there, then I realized they were all there.

Edit: lol some enemies showed up and just got lit the gently caress up by everyone running out of the bar all at once and just destroying them. The animals do not seem to be here, though.

ssb fucked around with this message at 22:41 on Mar 29, 2018

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Also the geography is completely inaccurate! I spent three days on google maps trying to find the setting for this game and I'm pretty sure it doesn't exist. Unrealistic bullshit.

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.
For someone like me who plays these games mainly as exploration shooters, this is the best Far Cry of the modern ones (2 is another beast entirely that I love for different reasons). The way I play these, the change in how you uncover the map - as well as the map itself - make a major difference in the flow of the game. The Himalaya was more exotic and crazy vertical, but I prefer the more realistic look of Montana. You could make a Stalker game on this map.

The perk system is uninspired though (carry more of this, shoot better with that), as is the challenge system. I also think the "spawn chaos" knob could be turned down from 11 a bit, or alternatively give me a perk where I can disguise myself by driving a cult car. Or something like that.

The writing is mostly bad so far, and I think it's totally fair to criticize the game for that no matter if everyone "should have expected" a fun sandbox only, it's not like they haven't had a habbit of boasting about their writing. I personally don't care that much, but at least in 3 and 4 the scenes with Vaas and Pagan Min where entertaining because they where fun and menacing characters, the Seeds are just loving boring.

GhostDog fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Mar 29, 2018

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I'm not very far into each territory but Jacob is the least boring so far by a longshot. His VA is really good and his forced capture segments actually have gameplay and interesting gimmick

e: also spoilers about Jacob's capture things: the kills you get in his virtual training missions count towards challenges so you can keep failing and racking up tons of easy kills with each weapon type

TescoBag
Dec 2, 2009

Oh god, not again.

Another quick question for anyone who bought the deluxe version.

Are the extras you get literally just skins, or do you get the weapons early? The helicopter you get, do you get to call that in at any point or something and can you normally call in an attack chopper?

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
One of the very first missions I did was to get the Widowmaker and I've been afraid to use it because I don't know if I can handle being that much of a badass. I presume that people who have trouble driving from place to place should use that vehicle.

Feindfeuer
Jun 20, 2013

shoot men, receive credits

TescoBag posted:

Another quick question for anyone who bought the deluxe version.

Are the extras you get literally just skins, or do you get the weapons early? The helicopter you get, do you get to call that in at any point or something and can you normally call in an attack chopper?

The extras are all 'unique' items. They have the same stats and base models as other items in the game (revolver, helicopter, etc) but they are their own entity and you have access to them from the start once you finished the intro. You can call the helicopter in from any helicopter landing spot. There is a little console that allows you to call it it. It's actually a pretty solid attack chopper with machineguns, rockets and flares. I only replaced it because the paintjob is so terrible.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
I guess if I dont want to miss any missions I should just do main missions and then do everything else after?

TescoBag
Dec 2, 2009

Oh god, not again.

Feindfeuer posted:

The extras are all 'unique' items. They have the same stats and base models as other items in the game (revolver, helicopter, etc) but they are their own entity and you have access to them from the start once you finished the intro. You can call the helicopter in from any helicopter landing spot. There is a little console that allows you to call it it. It's actually a pretty solid attack chopper with machineguns, rockets and flares. I only replaced it because the paintjob is so terrible.

Thanks for the info!

Pozload Escobar
Aug 21, 2016

by Reene
Yeah I saved up like $7200 and bought the "unique" .50cal semi auto sniper and have been airholing chuds with it since halfway through my first region. Seems weird that it's the same gun that only unlocks 7 resistance segments in but I guess they were worried about Pay2Win complaints if it was only buyable through Silver Bars.

Noirex
May 30, 2006

I'm not expecting some magnificent opus from FC, but isn't the head writer some well known guy? Why is the story and characters all so disappointingly dull?

Edit: Ok it's Drew Holmes who also wrote Red Faction, Saints Row and BioShock Infinite. Kind of explains it I guess.

Noirex fucked around with this message at 23:07 on Mar 29, 2018

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

Is there a discord with FC5 playing goons where we can get together and play good arcade maps instead of the poo poo that other randos keep selecting?

Lucas Archer
Dec 1, 2007
Falling...

GhostDog posted:

For someone like me who plays these games mainly as exploration shooters, this is the best Far Cry of the modern ones (2 is another beast entirely that I love for different reasons). The way I play these, the change in how you uncover the map - as well as the map itself - make a major difference in the flow of the game. The Himalaya was more exotic and crazy vertical, but I prefer the more realistic look of Montana. You could make a Stalker game on this map.

This is my favorite change, along with the removal of the minimap. While I would still love to see a return of FC2's map (you could just make it a tablet or ipad or whatever with gurgle maps or whatever with GPS that also holds your quests and other poo poo - hell, just copy BotW's sheikah slate concept), the sensation of knowing the area is much stronger. After a billion hours of FC3, I know the top island like the back of my hand. I can see myself getting just as familiar with Hope County. Just walking around and exploring is fun. Nthing the hope for a educational mode ala AC:O.

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 13 days!

TescoBag posted:

Hmmm, this is possibly a big problem for me and a friend playing co-op then. It really sucks.

Yeah it's really stupid and unfortunate because the actual co-op gameplay is a loving riot :(

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.
The map is nice, but the people make me feel like I'm in the South not Montana. Granted, I live in eastern Idaho, not Montana, but these people don't sound like they're from the area to me. I could be wrong, though, since I try to spend as little time outside as possible.

super macho dude
Aug 9, 2014

My cool strong cougar friend (who is totally real) tried to take down a moose but got one shot headbutted and flew down a mountainside.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

super macho dude posted:

My cool strong cougar friend (who is totally real) tried to take down a moose but got one shot headbutted and flew down a mountainside.

Most accurate moose in videogames

a_good_username
Mar 13, 2018

A Buff Gay Dude posted:

Yeah I saved up like $7200 and bought the "unique" .50cal semi auto sniper and have been airholing chuds with it since halfway through my first region. Seems weird that it's the same gun that only unlocks 7 resistance segments in but I guess they were worried about Pay2Win complaints if it was only buyable through Silver Bars.

Yeah I did this as well and it takes a bit of the difficulty out.

precision posted:

One of the very first missions I did was to get the Widowmaker and I've been afraid to use it because I don't know if I can handle being that much of a badass. I presume that people who have trouble driving from place to place should use that vehicle.

Yeah, I've had to stop myself from using any of the vehicles with weapons on them because they reallllllly trivialize the game. I wish there was a super super hard mode. Or some way to restart the game in totally occupied Hope Country 1000 years from now with 10x the enemy spawns and appropriately better rewards.

Maybe I just should try a different open world game. Any recommendations for something similar, not Far Cry, while I wait to replay this coop?

e: Currently doing outpost master with only RPGs and two rocket boy sidekicks.

Bloodplay it again
Aug 25, 2003

Oh, Dee, you card. :-*

Capn Beeb posted:

A co-op guest that is playing the whole game start to finish with you will always have the starting default weapons in the shop. Last night I tested a theory:

Host has unlocked guns
Host picks up gun from the ground, exchanging their unlocked and progression locked gun with pick up
Guest picks up gun that is locked to them, does this unlock it in the shop?

Answer: This does not unlock the gun for them in the shop, and they are not allowed to even customize the retrieved gun.

The only way for guest to unlock the gun on their save is to get more levels of resistance on their own game they are hosting.

It's really stupid!

Not all the guns are unlocked via gaining resistance levels. I've been the guest in my friend's co-op game and haven't done anything SP except fishing and have unlocked a few more guns. Though, to be fair, the overwhelming majority are unlocked via gaining resistance levels. I think that's why they added the special skin variants at the bottom of the lists, so you don't just get stuck with the starter guns the whole time as a co-op guest. It really hasn't diminished my enjoyment of the game at all because I've been spending money on pretty princess dressup or vehicles instead of guns.

I have 13 hours played in FC5 so far, about 12 of which has been co-op, and the game is pretty damned stable. I never finished FC4 because the game would crash every 30-45 minutes and co-op play was incredibly buggy. We've been using an RPG guy named Scott Keaton to counter-snipe with rockets and it never fails to crack me up. My favorite experience so far was when we landed an attack heli to clear an outpost and Scott decided to hop back in and fly the heli. We both grappled onto the chopper and were swinging around like crazy as everyone in the area tried to take it down. Apparently there's no way to commandeer a heli while it's in the air. We all died, but it was a great experience.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
I came across a weird monolith/statue to a crazy old stunt pilot being guarded by two cultists who were fuckin' terrified of an eagle swooping at them, so I sicced my dog on one and threw some bait to get a bear to attack the other. GOTY?

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I'm pretty sure Peaches is OP as gently caress. I've only had her with me for maybe an hour. By contrast I've had Boomer and Grace with me for several hours.

Total kills:

Grace: 29
Boomer: 15
Peaches: 51

:catstare:

Also once you get a third weapon slot, put an RPG in it so you have a "gently caress off, I'm exploring here" button

Also if you have two human buddies and get in a 2 seater car, the third one will get in a second vehicle and follow you.

Ambihelical Hexnut
Aug 5, 2008
Everyone in the game sounds like they're from cartoon Texas or real Alabama.

Just finished Faith's territory: The story seems to take a lot of liberties with the drug hallucination aspect of Faith, meaning that I walked away thinking she's actually supernatural and not explicitly thinking that all the supernatural stuff was just a hallucination. Hopefully the end game explains this further, cause at the moment the story feels like any Japanese movie or videogame where they leave things vague in an attempt to seem deep. That is dumb compared to a story that uses clearer actions to show how the drugs created mass hallucinations or caused the character to doubt reality. Also I bumped into an NPC who said he was glad Faith was gone, and that he was gonna do psychadelics, but this occurred well before the last mission set. *shrug*

Punch it, Chewie!

Not the Messiah
Jan 7, 2018
Buglord
Is anyone else kind of bummed at the lack of weapon variety? I'd be okay with the number of weapons in it now but there's literally 4 assault rifles because most of the list is just slight reskin/remodels. It's not the biggest issue but I like having a decent sized arsenal and having like half the guns in the game just being variants is a bit naff.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Ambihelical Hexnut posted:

Everyone in the game sounds like they're from cartoon Texas or real Alabama.

Just finished Faith's territory: The story seems to take a lot of liberties with the drug hallucination aspect of Faith, meaning that I walked away thinking she's actually supernatural and not explicitly thinking that all the supernatural stuff was just a hallucination. Hopefully the end game explains this further, cause at the moment the story feels like any Japanese movie or videogame where they leave things vague in an attempt to seem deep. That is dumb compared to a story that uses clearer actions to show how the drugs created mass hallucinations or caused the character to doubt reality. Also I bumped into an NPC who said he was glad Faith was gone, and that he was gonna do psychadelics, but this occurred well before the last mission set. *shrug*

Punch it, Chewie!

If you're not a fan of vagueness then you're going to really dislike the Resist ending

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.

Not the Messiah posted:

Is anyone else kind of bummed at the lack of weapon variety? I'd be okay with the number of weapons in it now but there's literally 4 assault rifles because most of the list is just slight reskin/remodels. It's not the biggest issue but I like having a decent sized arsenal and having like half the guns in the game just being variants is a bit naff.

I'm kind of shocked there isn't even an AR-15/M16 in the game.

Not the Messiah
Jan 7, 2018
Buglord

PureRok posted:

Yeah, I was a bit confused at that too. I guess the starting AR is supposed to be the AR-15 analogue but it's not quite the same. They've got the models etc from the last games, why not just throw them back in?

And I just realised the model swap guns have the same stats and attachments as the base variants? Is there really a need for two AK's that are totally identical but one is black, two lever actions but one is short, two M14s but one is black (again)? Like cmon guys I'd be less irked if it weren't so blatant

CaptainViolence
Apr 19, 2006

I'M GONNA GET YOU DUCK

PureRok posted:

The map is nice, but the people make me feel like I'm in the South not Montana. Granted, I live in eastern Idaho, not Montana, but these people don't sound like they're from the area to me. I could be wrong, though, since I try to spend as little time outside as possible.

i'm from montana, and you're not wrong. they seem like more generic midwest rednecks. it doesn't bother me much, though, because while i know montana really well, i don't know poo poo about nepal and i'm sure far cry 4 was similarly (in)accurate. still fun to tool around with guns blazing!

Klisejo
Apr 13, 2006

Who else see da' Leprechaun say YEAH!

Not the Messiah posted:

This is my biggest complaint behind the 2Deep4U story. And considering how its an FPS I think it's the bigger sin.

SMG Class: Mp5s and.... a Schmeisser? This game is set in 'murica right? I get 2 euro smgs? No Grease guns or Thompson, m/45 - M76? Pre-ban Uzis? Just Mp5 or mp40?

Pozload Escobar
Aug 21, 2016

by Reene

PureRok posted:

uh there's an AR-15/M16 it's the AR-C

Most military cosplay chuds don't buy an actual colt AR-15, they buy a gun that's built on the platform. They probably made their own version here to avoid having to license an actual manufacturer's version.

Pozload Escobar
Aug 21, 2016

by Reene
https://i.imgur.com/Zcuw8AO.gifv

:thumbsup:

Utnayan
Sep 26, 2002
PROUD MEMBER OF THE RAPIST DEFENSE BRIGADE! DO NOT BE MEAN TO RAPISTS, OR I WILL VOTE FOR THEM WITH EVER INCREASING VIGOR!
I love this game so much and if you would have told me this a while ago, no way. I was not expecting this to be so creative and fun to be quite honest. They did SUCh a good job with this game. Characters, story, and ... I just met....

Clutch Nixon missions! I was laughing so hard from the Intro I couldnt even fly the plane lol. I bought the daredevil outfit, and now I want a clutch Nixon poster for my bar.

Please Ubisoft. Make a spin off game with clutch Nixon.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

How the heck am I supposed to use the wingsuit (PC)? It seems like half the time it doesn't even deploy and I get no elevation for these Clutch Nixon challenges.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

BitBasher posted:

Ive cleared a third of the map and I have never had a giant statue do anything at all? I have literally no idea what you are talking about here.

Turns out there's only one statue but you'll understand when you do something with it.

Also the game says I have 1250 kills already. Being sick rules.

hip check please
Jan 11, 2012

I am really enjoying the soundtrack. All the in world church songs are great and make the setting feel more fleshed out.

Klisejo
Apr 13, 2006

Who else see da' Leprechaun say YEAH!
Really they should have all they kidnapped parts from the Deputy POV and you play the rest of the game as Clutch Nixon trying to free his county from whatever all this hippy bullshit is.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I legitimately want Fallout 5 to use this game's engine and general design philosophy (except the abduction things ofc). Set it in Portland/Washington and call it done.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

PureRok posted:

Not even a proper south. They sound like people trying to fake a southern accent.

Given the tongue in cheek attitude the game has I'd figure it's intentional, instead of brown people in another part of the world being misrepresented it's white people that most americans are familiar with and we're all YER DOIN IT WRONG :argh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Some of the voices are trying to mimic a Mountains regional accent, most notably expressed by that deeper uvular "u" you hear in the way Jess Black says "gently caress."