Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Are you a
This poll is closed.
homeowner 39 22.41%
renter 69 39.66%
stupid peace of poo poo 66 37.93%
Total: 174 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

Nothing seems to have happened after the NZDF were forced to admit they lied trying to discredit Hit and Run either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Honestly, unless there is evidence that Curran pressured, or in any way influenced, Hirschfeld to lie about the nature of the meeting, then I don't really see why Curran should step down. At this stage, it doesn't seem to be more than speculation and assumptions.

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

Her not reporting the meeting was part of the same lie.

klen dool
May 7, 2007

Okay well me being wrong in some limited situations doesn't change my overall point.
I don't think we as a country get to kill civilians in another country and lie about it for a year, let our prime minister assault a citizen, and falsely call an IOA vexatious all without repercussions or even a sense that anything was wrong with any of that, then have a go at an mp having a meeting and not telling anyone. Or, make an mp step down because of some minor benefit fraud years ago.

But we did it anyway, plucky little NZ.

NZAmoeba
Feb 14, 2005

It turns out it's MAN!
Hair Elf
I wonder if this is the media trying to sink the possibility of RNZ expanding as a public broadcaster, which they may feel threatened by.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Can someone who understands tax law stuff explain this to me? Shouldn't this reduce/alleviate rent increases by discouraging wannabe speculators?

Like I read 'landlords get out' as a good thing.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

From the landlord association's perspective they are providing a valuable service to the community by using their financial position to obtain assets to provide to the renting marketplace. Not only are they providing this service, but they do it at a loss to themselves (tax wise:angel:) so the additional fees will force them to pass the cost on to renters or sell their properties as they would no longer be good investments (they won't because the investment is not the rent it's the capital gains once the rent has paid off the mortgage), so the only two outcomes possible from their perspective is that rents go up or there's a massive drop in rental properties on the market and rents go up.
The concept of a flood of investment properties being firesaled into the actual homes market allowing people to buy their own instead of rent does not occur to them because it would run contrary to their position of benevolent wealth havers and crucial social service.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Slavvy posted:

Can someone who understands tax law stuff explain this to me? Shouldn't this reduce/alleviate rent increases by discouraging wannabe speculators?

Like I read 'landlords get out' as a good thing.

I think they're coming from the angle that if losses can't be written off against other income then landlords will be under greater pressure to break even on rental income rather than relying simple on capital gains, resulting in rental rises.

It's possible this will happen, but it also should have the impact of pushing more people to invest in assets other than property. He interprets this to mean that there are going to be a shortage of rental properties, as though there are going to be unpinned houses sitting around or some poo poo

It's a lovely article and wouldn't surprise me if it's been paid for or something. There's no attempt to provide a contrary point of view, it reads like a press release for the property investors federation

voiceless anal fricative fucked around with this message at 01:53 on Mar 31, 2018

Taitale
Feb 19, 2011
If landlords thought they could charge more rent they would already be doing so.

exmachina
Mar 12, 2006

Look Closer
Just standard FUD. It has been going on for a while now.

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

Anyone got the old crying kiwi smilie?

Varkk
Apr 17, 2004

Does this mean we can go back to not caring about boxing now?

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

What are you guys even talking about?

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

Ghostlight posted:

What are you guys even talking about?

Joseph Parker lost to Anthony Joshua in an ugly Boxing fight.

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

Garth McVicar posted:

One less to clog the prisons! Congratulations to the New Zealand Police, our thoughts are with the officer who was forced to take this action to protect the public.

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/article.cfm?c_id=1&objectid=12024068

Charles 2 of Spain
Nov 7, 2017

Ugh, that dickhead is still alive.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

I can totally understand the police using lethal force when a guy is coming at then with a machete, but rejoicing in the death of someone who was probably mentally ill and in need of help he didn't get is pretty hosed up

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Just about the only time the media are right on the money with their "people are all offended by someone saying something" articles

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.
https://twitter.com/economissive/status/981031502719823872?s=21

eat poo poo

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

I like that he has no comment on why he suddenly decided to resign except to say that it wasn't the commission, carrying out, and covering up of warcrimes.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

what's the big deal anyway if you want to be a major player on the world stage you gotta commit a few warcrimes

can't lead without breaking a few skulls

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

We needed those war crimes so Obama would play golf here and it's only labour's mismanagement of the situation that's stopped us getting a tweet out of the whole thing.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Slavvy posted:

We needed those war crimes so Obama would play golf here and it's only labour's mismanagement of the situation that's stopped us getting a tweet out of the whole thing.

drat, not bad

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

only worse.
https://twitter.com/nzherald/status/981697385050066944

king!

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!
The man values fabric over people. Who coulda guessed.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Never mind the rotting hospitals, deepened inequality, failure to address the housing crisis in any way...

What a loving banal thing to feel bad about

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
It was always clearly an expensive ego project but drat, he just took it to the next level.

quote:

"I suppose I also have to take responsibility and say, well look, maybe there were some other things I could have done. To be frank, I think I should have just pushed it even harder."

klen dool
May 7, 2007

Okay well me being wrong in some limited situations doesn't change my overall point.
He just doesn't give a gently caress does he.

Varkk
Apr 17, 2004

bike tory posted:

Never mind the rotting hospitals, deepened inequality, failure to address the housing crisis in any way...

What a loving banal thing to feel bad about

To feel bad about those other things he would have to admit they were a problem. Then accept there is something he could have done. For they flag thing he can blame his advisers who told him to keep out of it instead of advocating for it like he wanted.

spanky the dolphin
Sep 3, 2006

I'm so glad the flag didn't change to that Lockwood fern.

Charles 2 of Spain
Nov 7, 2017

He definitely knew about the problems, which is why he ran away and quit to try and protect his legacy.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Whoever said it looked like a knockoff of a logo for a Manawatu trucking firm was spot on.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

I was so pleased when it face planted.

Captain_Person
Apr 7, 2013

WHAT CAN THE HARVEST HOPE FOR, IF NOT FOR THE CARE OF THE REAPER MAN?
Should've been Laser Kiwi

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

A Good Article

http://pantograph-punch.com/post/largest-polynesian-city

quote:

This geographic claim to Polynesia, disguised as being celebratory in nature, takes advantage of the Pacific’s easy-going nature – placing us as the fun side-thing. This simplifies the Pacific’s long and entangled history with Aotearoa New Zealand, abdicating our country’s responsibilities to the region in the eyes of Middle New Zealand.

voiceless anal fricative fucked around with this message at 04:40 on Apr 6, 2018

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

only worse.
the lockwood flag is an excellent representation of nz

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

What pisses me off about the flag referendum is that he wasted so much government money on it, while crying poverty to justify funding cuts elsewhere. Mental health? gently caress you, kill yourselves. Public health? gently caress you, eat some slop not even fit for livestock. Education? gently caress you, go to a private school, you poor loving pieces of subhuman shits, how dare you be born into poverty; in fact who the gently caress gave you the right to even exist? Special needs education? Get hosed, retards. Public transport? Drive a car instead so we can indulge in our road fetish. Rape Crisis? gently caress you bitches, maybe try not getting raped next time. gently caress all that poo poo, none of it's important. But hey, we're going to have a new flag, whether you loving like it or not, and I'm only going to consult ex-athletes, and this poo poo is important.

Charles 2 of Spain posted:

He definitely knew about the problems, which is why he ran away and quit to try and protect his legacy.

To quote Malcolm Tucker, "No one knew what the gently caress you stood for. Political loving mist. No substance, no weight."

The fact that his rating in the preferred PM poll dropped from the high 30s or whatever to 2% in the first post-resignation poll taken tells you everything about him. He left no tangible positive legacy, nothing that he could hang his hat on and say "yeah, that's a bit of me." Not a single loving thing. Gareth Hughes loving skewered that loving slimy ratfuck oval office, and I honestly hope people throw what he talked about in his face often.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uO3kgvayZhQ

edogawa rando fucked around with this message at 06:21 on Apr 6, 2018

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Captain_Person posted:

Should've been Laser Kiwi

If we had to make the change I would no poo poo voted for this.

1000 Brown M and Ms
Oct 22, 2008

F:\DL>quickfli 4-clowns.fli

spanky the dolphin posted:

I'm so glad the flag didn't change to that Lockwood fern.

I was ok with the black Lockwood one actually, but it wasn't great. The really poo poo one was the Red Peak. gently caress that's an ugly flag

Laser Kiwi owns though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Rabbi T. White
Jul 17, 2008

There was only one viable option.

• Locked thread