Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Funny how retail, manufacturing, and finance can all see growth and yet the economy as a whole still contracts due to decline in oil, resource extraction, and real estate. It's almost like our economy has been hollowed out and is completely reliant on exporting raw resources and inflating a housing bubble.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

James Baud
May 24, 2015

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

James Baud fucked around with this message at 12:03 on Aug 25, 2018

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord

DariusLikewise posted:

The Liberals Budget Bill is a 556-page omnibus bill

That is quite the allegation, what are they trying to pass through alongside the budget?

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

DariusLikewise posted:

The Liberals Budget Bill is a 556-page omnibus bill

reminder to all liberal voters that the liberals are garbage and literally nothing they say during an election campaign can be trusted

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?

Risky Bisquick posted:

That is quite the allegation, what are they trying to pass through alongside the budget?

There's no way I'm reading through that whole thing, I'll wait for a parliament reporter to go through it but the first two budgets the Liberals tabled broke down as follows

quote:

For the Liberal's first two budgets, the implementation bills were tabled in two parts.

In 2016 the government tabled:

Bill C-15, Budget Implementation Act, 2016, No. 1, which was 179 pages
Bill C-29, Budget Implementation Act, 2016, No. 2, which was 234 pages

In 2017 the government tabled:

Bill C-44, Budget Implementation Act, 2017, No. 1, which was 290 pages
Bill C-63, Budget Implementation Act, 2017, No. 2, which was 317 pages

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

CBC radio and CBC journalism (at all levels) are a treasure that should be defended from the Capitalist barbarian hordes.

I don't care about CBC TV.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Reince Penis posted:

Super happy to see people defending the right wing meme of government spending as vote buying. Do you guys think taxes are theft too?

If you’re just giving money to a certain set of people, that’s what it is. It’s like Ralph-bucks, but just for olds. It would be better to invest in services that help seniors live independently, like good transit and more options to receive healthcare services at home.

Reince Penis
Nov 15, 2007

by R. Guyovich
"There's no such thing as society." - Margaret Thatcher, also CanPol thread

RBC
Nov 23, 2007

IM STILL SPENDING MONEY FROM 1888

Reince Penis posted:

Super happy to see people defending the right wing meme of government spending as vote buying. Do you guys think taxes are theft too?

they literally giving old people (who have high voter turnout) $750

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

RBC posted:

they literally giving old people (who have high voter turnout) $750

Yeah, it's not actually fixing any of the problems that make it hard to live alone as a senior. It's largely a waste of money, designed to buy votes. I think obviously we have to spend money to take care of seniors -- we can't just leave them to die -- but this is quite probably the least efficient way to accomplish it that I can possibly think of.

linoleum floors
Mar 25, 2012

Please. Let me tell you all about how you're all idiots. I am of superior intellect here. Go suck some dicks. You have all fucking stupid opinions. This is my fucking opinion.
And not just old people, old people that own houses. They're giving it to the richest

The Butcher
Apr 20, 2005

Well, at least we tried.
Nap Ghost
How come nobody ever tries to buy my vote? I'm not saying it's definitely for sale or anything but I'm a reasonable man, I'll listen to proposals.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

linoleum floors posted:

And not just old people, old people that own houses. They're giving it to the richest

Wow, I totally missed that. Yeah who does that even help?

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

flakeloaf posted:

Wow, I totally missed that. Yeah who does that even help?

Pensioners that own million dollar houses that everyone is super concerned about driving out of their homes if they raise property taxes.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
There are a lot of old people who own their home from back when such things were cheaper, and retirement has not been kind to them.

There are others in an empty house worth a million or more with a take home from their investments and DB pensions than most of us will ever see.

I don't mind helping the former but definitely begrudge a handout to the latter.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

linoleum floors posted:

It's just to people that own houses? Jesus, that's really, really bad. I figured it was for any senior not living in some sort of assisted living situation, but if it's specifically house owners that's even loving worse.

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene

vyelkin posted:

reminder to all liberal voters that the liberals are garbage and literally nothing they say during an election campaign can be trusted

Maaaaaaan.

It would be cool if the Liberals and NDP were the top two parties in whatever riding I'm in so that I could pick whichever one was less bullshit (usually not the liberals), but pretty much everywhere I've ever lived (and I think this goes for a lot of Canada) it's always been a two party race between the Conservatives and one of them, so I almost always end up strategically voting for whichever one of the not Conservative parties is closest in competition to em because gently caress em.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
You should give up strategic voting like I have and also dehumanize yourself and face to bloodshed. :unsmigghh:

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

Wistful of Dollars posted:

CBC radio and CBC journalism (at all levels) are a treasure that should be defended from the Capitalist barbarian hordes.

I don't care about CBC TV.

Well then look out for Doug Ford, cause he's gonna de-fund the CBC.

http://pressprogress.ca/ontario-pc-leader-doug-ford-claims-hell-cut-cbc-even-though-cbc-is-not-provincially-funded/

quote:

The new leader of Ontario’s PCs thinks he can cut funding for something Ontario doesn’t actually pay for?

Responding to Ontario’s 2018 budget Wednesday, Doug Ford raised fresh questions about his basic understanding of the issues when he offered reporters a nonsensical suggestion about how he could save Ontario money: cut funding for the CBC.

Only problem with that idea? The Province of Ontario doesn’t fund the CBC – that’s the federal government’s job.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
Doug Ford going out of his way to remind everyone that he is a complete loving idiot is surprisingly good for his brand.

Nobody who is willing to vote for him will ever see these little fact checks.

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

My favourite Doug Ford quote is this

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/ontario-budget-2018-doug-ford-kathleen-wynne-1.4597965

quote:

"Today's budget includes massive — I repeat, massive — tax hikes," Ford said. "I'm not going to go after 1.8 million people and increase their taxes, charge them $200 more when they're already struggling with the highest hydro rates in North America."

The budget documents say for those facing a tax hike under the plan, the average increase would be $200. Ford took that figure and ran with it.

"So, just think: a family of five will be paying $1,000 more in new taxes," he told the news conference.

I asked Ford to explain his math.

"We know that they've increased the taxes $200," he said. "Times five is $1,000."

So the kids in the family of five face an income tax increase too?

"I'm not saying kids," Ford responded. "If there's five people in your house that are paying taxes, there's going to be five people paying $200 more in taxes."

That is, if each of those five people earns $130,000 or so.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord
So hypothetically in his bizarre scenario, 5 adults raking in $650 000 in total would be asked to pay an additional $1 000 between them :qq:

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

infernal machines posted:

Pensioners that own million dollar houses that everyone is super concerned about driving out of their homes if they raise property taxes.

If a bunch of seniors have to sell their homes to recover equity, that could decrease my property values!

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

Risky Bisquick posted:

So hypothetically in his bizarre scenario, 5 adults raking in $650 000 in total would be asked to pay an additional $1 000 between them :qq:

Hypothetically they would be asked to pay an extra $7.70 per paycheck, that's clearly back-breaking to the upper-middle-lower class of Ontario

Reince Penis
Nov 15, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Risky Bisquick posted:

No but you LIBERAL VOTE BUYING is the real scandal, right Canpol :jerkbag:

Vote buying is going to be the Hillary's Emails of Ontario 2018.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Reince Penis posted:

No but you LIBERAL VOTE BUYING is the real scandal, right Canpol :jerkbag:

Vote buying is going to be the Hillary's Emails of Ontario 2018.

More than one thing can be a problem at the same time. Why the gently caress are you so dead set on defending a $750 handout to old homeowners?

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

Buglord
Sorry I was using the wrong values. A household making 0.65 million dollars of gross income is being asked to pay one thousand dollars in extra taxes.

How will they balance their household budget on the back of such hardship.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

PT6A posted:

More than one thing can be a problem at the same time. Why the gently caress are you so dead set on defending a $750 handout to old homeowners?

He's dead set on you not calling it vote buying

Reince Penis
Nov 15, 2007

by R. Guyovich

PT6A posted:

Because it's not a scandal it's the talking point of a far right wing party. Y'all should be embarrassed to be defending it.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Why is this policy any better than when Ralph Klein sent a whole bunch of $400 cheques to Albertans for no reason?

It's a waste of money that could be better invested elsewhere. If it's not a scheme to buy votes, then I have no idea what the point is.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Reince Penis posted:

Because it's not a scandal it's the talking point of a far right wing party. Y'all should be embarrassed to be defending it.

You're over 75, aren't you.

RBC
Nov 23, 2007

IM STILL SPENDING MONEY FROM 1888

Reince Penis posted:

facts are facts, the liberals are poo poo and theyre giving cash to homeowning baby boomers. its loving shameless

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

RBC posted:

facts are facts, the liberals are poo poo and theyre giving cash to homeowning baby boomers. its loving shameless

I mean, when I'm on the same side as the rest of the thread as to how lovely a policy is, it's gotta be heinous, right??? :v:

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes
If you criticize anything about this person or her party or policies, the conservatives win.

https://twitter.com/Kathleen_Wynne/status/979373559867899908

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

RBC posted:

facts are facts

It's 2018. Facts don't matter if you can make enough people believe whatever you need them to.

See: Doug Ford discussion, southern neighbour, etc.

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene

PT6A posted:

Why is this policy any better than when Ralph Klein sent a whole bunch of $400 cheques to Albertans for no reason?

Great moments in the history of Alberta politics. Dunno how much the rest of the county paid attention to it/how it overlaps the Canada goon demographic, but growing up under Klein was surreal. Man it was super cool when the party of fiscal responsibility gave away 1.5 billion dollars arbitrarily. My parents put my 400 bucks in my college fund. It almost paid for one course!

Definitely a better use than putting it towards fixing some of the poo poo Klein ripped up. Or hell, even doing nothing and putting it in the Heritage fund. It's very difficult to imagine any use for it other than 'throwing it in a pit and burning it' that would have been less effective than what they did with it.

Stickarts
Dec 21, 2003

literally

King guy who staggers into a soup kitchen pass-out drunk and throws change at homeless people Klein.

Weird BIAS
Jul 5, 2007

so... guess that's it, huh? just... don't say i didn't warn you.
I always love hearing the story from my dad about how he met Klein stumbling into an elevator in a hotel pissed as gently caress.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Weird BIAS posted:

I always love hearing the story from my dad about how he met Klein stumbling into an elevator in a hotel pissed as gently caress.

Every Calgarian of the right age has a drunk Ralph Klein story.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mashed
Jul 27, 2004

Isn't pretty much any election promise that has a monetary budget attached to it "vote buying" when it comes down to it?