Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

I love Berseria's writing but the game looks and plays really cheaply. Like not Gust cheap but definitely budget. Which is a shame cause the Tales series was not always made in a shed by three overworked coders and a copious use of copy and paste.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica
Mannn why is the first dungeon always a sewer :(

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.
To get it out of the way?

You're gonna kill those giant rats for your first trial, it's RPG tradition.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

muster my armies and burn this cave to the ground

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy
Don't worry there's more sewer later too both literally and some of the game's plot points

I finished the game and I'm gonna agree with someone's 6/10 rating. If it wasn't for the game's charm I wouldn't have liked it. I wish I'd gotten to spend more time with the side characters and the game needed way more voice acting.

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica
I'm going to use cheats to make this game harder

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

MOVIE MAJICK posted:

I'm going to use cheats to make this game harder

I already am and it makes the game a whole lot better. Double damage on characters and half damage on enemies feels "right" as in not too difficult or annoying with certain mobs becoming health sponges. Suddenly being stuck in an abilities animations is more dangerous and simply normal attacking wont cut the enemies health down fast enough so you have to chose abilities based on what the fight calls for.

It boggles the mind why they didn't add these options baked into the game. Its just a multiplier. Make it triple damage on character and 1/3 damage on monsters for a proper challenge mode.

Emron
Aug 2, 2005

The worst “lol gently caress this character, who cares” moment I’ve encountered was doing a side quest to help a fisher woman woo her crush, but like ten minutes later I got the crush guy from a swift solutions errand and he said “ah, I’ve decided to just forget about her. She’ll understand. Let’s go to EVERMORE, baby!”

Meanwhile, lovesick lady is still using dialogue saying how happy she is that he‘s become more than a friend to her :smith:

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

I spent most of my time playing last night getting my rear end kicked so the game's already hard enough for me

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

lets hang out posted:

I spent most of my time playing last night getting my rear end kicked so the game's already hard enough for me

At what point did the getting-your-rear end-kicked begin? I'm looking forward to that part.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

I'm in chapter 7 but I think it was 6 when I started seeing a lot of orange and red enemies everywhere. And I do all the sidequests and spend a lot of time just farting around exploring, the level curve just naturally ends up moving past you.

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica

Cao Ni Ma posted:

I already am and it makes the game a whole lot better. Double damage on characters and half damage on enemies feels "right" as in not too difficult or annoying with certain mobs becoming health sponges. Suddenly being stuck in an abilities animations is more dangerous and simply normal attacking wont cut the enemies health down fast enough so you have to chose abilities based on what the fight calls for.

It boggles the mind why they didn't add these options baked into the game. Its just a multiplier. Make it triple damage on character and 1/3 damage on monsters for a proper challenge mode.

Hmm how do I change these values using cheat engine?

FauxLeather
Nov 7, 2016

Um Bongo
I haven't used Cheat Engine in years but I just had a look at that hard mode table from earlier. Holy gently caress this speed hack function is so good and I think I'm going to use it for every JRPG from now on.

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

The levels of the enemies take a jump at Broadleaf and things get kind of difficult at that point but not hard if your dodge/block game is on point

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

Also if you start having trouble at that point the party member from Broadleaf comes at the right level so you can just play as her for a bit til everyone else catches up

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

MOVIE MAJICK posted:

Hmm how do I change these values using cheat engine?

Gyoru posted:

Someone made a Cheat Engine table for PC players who want to increase the difficulty.

I got rid of the cheaty elements of the table and set balanced variables for difficulty:
- 50% more incoming damage (any higher seems to disable dodge i-frames)
- Enemies only take 25% damage

http://www.mediafire.com/file/40bc6rsc5pjofkc/NnK2-Difficulty.ct

I've played through all of Chapter 4 and some of 5 with these settings. Fights take longer and there's actually a chance of dying especially against Tainted monsters.

Gyoru already posted the modified cheat list. Just load it up on cheat engine, run it on the nnk2 process and then activate the tables. I modified it a tiny bit by changing the damage the player does from .25 to .50 since at .25 it felt like a bunch mobs were health sponges. But if you ever over level/gear the mobs then it might be worth changing it back.

FauxLeather
Nov 7, 2016

Um Bongo
A few purely aesthetic thoughts I had:

God drat the flame effects in this game are so impeccably animated. I wanted to drink up my monitor whenever the purple waves poured out of the guardians.
Broadleaf gave me massive, massive Gravity Rush vibes for some reason. The character designs in that zone feel like ones left in the Heksville cutting room floor.
This soundtrack was absolutely incredible, wish there were more battle themes though. Also the song that played in Broadleaf was so dull in comparison to the theme of Hydropolis.
The character designs on a whole suffer from some element of sameface, but I still loved them. Really inspired and costumes and hairstyles and such. I'm still mad that you never see them again when you bring them to Evermore.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

This final boss and ending has the dumbest goddamn twists lmao

I appreciate that I can just ice this fucker with a gun as he teleports around though. So far I killed Nega Roland with [gun] and Mega Satan. Truly America is the best

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica

Cao Ni Ma posted:

Gyoru already posted the modified cheat list. Just load it up on cheat engine, run it on the nnk2 process and then activate the tables. I modified it a tiny bit by changing the damage the player does from .25 to .50 since at .25 it felt like a bunch mobs were health sponges. But if you ever over level/gear the mobs then it might be worth changing it back.

Okay I've loaded it up but still not sure how to activate. Is it activated when I click the box on the bottom and it turns into at X?

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Is there a postgame guide floating around? Beat the game and not really sure where these post game quests are supposed to be spawning.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Most of them are right in Evermore. One comes from a guy out in the Rolling Hills east of Ding Dong Dell. There might be another quest waiting for you in Hydropolis.

You'll need lots of postgame crafting materials which you can only get if you've cleared all nine dreamer's mazes, or by fully maxing out your kingdom.

Hwurmp fucked around with this message at 18:30 on Mar 29, 2018

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

MOVIE MAJICK posted:

Okay I've loaded it up but still not sure how to activate. Is it activated when I click the box on the bottom and it turns into at X?

Just click on the boxes, if it reaches the ones that say hero damage mult etc then you are good. Just click on the hero and enemy damage modifiers

ellbent
May 2, 2007

I NEVER HAD SOUL
I decided to listen to the JP voice acting and it’s really weirding me out how much of the dialogue has been changed. Like, there’s a lot of times where the subtitles have nothing to do with what’s being said. Super weird.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Really Pants posted:

muster my armies and burn this cave to the ground

?????

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

ellbent posted:

I decided to listen to the JP voice acting and it’s really weirding me out how much of the dialogue has been changed. Like, there’s a lot of times where the subtitles have nothing to do with what’s being said. Super weird.

Now I want to know if this is why chapter 5 was so nonsensical

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

ellbent posted:

what's the Japanese equivalent of "FLIPPIN' NORA"

I never managed to unlock quest #68, or find anything that qualifies as smelly shoes for Morgan. What did I miss?

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Regy Rusty posted:

Now I want to know if this is why chapter 5 was so nonsensical

Doubtful, its just Level-5 being Level-5

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Sorry dude, I know you're an expert weaponsmith but we've researched everything now, time to go work in the fish market.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

At least two of the weapons are made out of fish. It's the logical next step.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Really Pants posted:

what's the Japanese equivalent of "FLIPPIN' NORA"

I never managed to unlock quest #68, or find anything that qualifies as smelly shoes for Morgan. What did I miss?

For the smelly shoes I just happened to have some in my inventory from somewhere, so I can't really help you. For quest 68, I think it's one of the joke weapon upgrade quests, you have to have made the frying pan hammer thing.

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

i wish i liked this game more, but i find it to be somewhat boring and crappy compared to the first one. The plot is just so mild and it has hardly any cutscenes or dialogue, and although the graphics are better than the first game technically i feel like the design of the levels is less pretty and the overworld is just ugly. Xenoblade Chronicles 2 had more dialogue and cutscenes in the first two chapters than this has had for the entire game.

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

The first game was definitely way more charming

Wendell
May 11, 2003

This having less tedious drawn out conversations than Xenoblade 2 is one of its strongest points for me!

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

I like moderately long cutscenes in jrpgs, I think they're a cool reward for beating a dungeon or a chapter, and its even better if they have cool animated fights and stuff. I guess it comes down to taste, but i don't mind chilling and watching story stuff when the game is like, 50 hours long, especially if its voiced and looks nice.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Big Bowie Bonanza posted:

The first game was definitely way more charming

Shame about the everything else

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

I still can't believe they got Adam Howden to voice a character and didn't give him any lines after he gets recruited. I'm so mad as I love that dudes work :argh:

Also last citizen to recruit needs me to do the dream door things I forgot entirely about so I'm going to get like 3-4 trophies all at once and that's kind of funny.

FauxLeather
Nov 7, 2016

Um Bongo
The dream door dungeons are my favourite element of this game and I definitely hope that the season pass stuff will include a expanded version of it.
There's good potential in a roguelike mode where you have to clear the dungeons in a good pace to keep the Danger Level down and manage your orbs. There's already NPCs and such dotted around the dungeons so it's totally do-able.
Like Chalice Dungeons!

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

How much does Danger 5 jack things up? I'm in a dungeon with a handful of level 15-20 things and I'm curious if the boss will shoot all the way to 99 or something absurd if I let it go nuts :v:

Wendell
May 11, 2003

Caesar Saladin posted:

I like moderately long cutscenes in jrpgs, I think they're a cool reward for beating a dungeon or a chapter, and its even better if they have cool animated fights and stuff. I guess it comes down to taste, but i don't mind chilling and watching story stuff when the game is like, 50 hours long, especially if its voiced and looks nice.

I don’t know if you’re into adventure games, or own a 3DS, but Detective Pikachu is full of extremely well animated, fully voiced cutscenes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

It's now funny to me that people are comparing the 'polish' of this favourably to other recent JRPGs because the only things that is actually polished are the graphics and everything else is hilariously cheap, the 10 total enemies in the game, the eastern continent full of nothing but copy paste caves but still takes up half the map, the absolutely nothing story that's just a sequence of fetch quests. At least the combat is pretty fun.

• Locked thread