Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

At the DC March For Our Lives, there were speakers talking about gun violence in Chicago and LA, so it's not like it's being swept up the rug.

Only reason why conservatives keep bringing Chicago up is because they're still butthurt over Obama.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

Laura 'forgot to not sieg heil' Ingraham

Fabulousity
Dec 29, 2008

Number One I order you to take a number two.

TontoCorazon posted:

I loving love how always their go to is Chicago and black people.

These loving idiots can't think for themselves and just spew somebody else's thinly veiled racist excuses to not do anything about gun control.

"But what about Chicago?"

gently caress Chicago, we're not talking about Chicago we're taking about gun control.

Earlier in the thread someone described the Chicago talking point as the general mental BSOD these people experience when they run out of things to parrot from Fox News. If you receive the "...but Chicago!" verbal fart you need to reboot your conservative.

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo

Blast of Confetti
Apr 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

a petfood company pulled their ads and some weirdo tweeted about never using it again. someone said 'uh dude you need to phase your dogs diet gradually onto the new food' and

https://twitter.com/JHammon67/status/979510807762558976?s=19

murdering your own dog to own the libs

E: fuckin

:smith:

MC Hawking
Apr 27, 2004

by VideoGames
Fun Shoe

If memory serves, Fox owns a good portion of the controlling shares of Hulu. So they're really not shooting themselves in the foot by pulling advertising for their own services.

BONE DOG
Jun 7, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

acumen posted:

It's much, much more difficult and costly to get an ar15 in Canada

Cost has nothing to do with it. Anyone without a criminal record and a little bit of patience can get a military style .223 caliber semi automatic rifle in canada easily. So that diminishes a lot of the prospects but not all. What I'm saying is that americans are crazy

LumpyGumby
Feb 22, 2012

"Here's the world famous hockey player sitting in the penalty box for slashing..."
-Snoopy Brown
42g - 65a - 107pts
106gp - 317PIMS
I just told Charlie Kirk, aka the diaper guy on campus, to shut up on Twitter and my account got locked. Not even anything vulgar it cursed him out or anything. Just "shut up" and suspended. Awesome.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

TontoCorazon posted:

I loving love how always their go to is Chicago and black people.

These loving idiots can't think for themselves and just spew somebody else's thinly veiled racist excuses to not do anything about gun control.

"But what about Chicago?"

gently caress Chicago, we're not talking about Chicago we're taking about gun control.

I always wonder how these people feel about the :airquote: drug problem :airquote: that states neighboring weed-legal states have, like Kansas.
(Those states have largely been throwing poo poo fits about :siren: DRUGS COMING INTO OUR STATE :siren: and trying to hold the weed-legal neighbor state responsible.)

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

LumpyGumby posted:

I just told Charlie Kirk, aka the diaper guy on campus, to shut up on Twitter and my account got locked. Not even anything vulgar it cursed him out or anything. Just "shut up" and suspended. Awesome.

Yeah I've had that happen a lot lately. It seems to be an automated system - right after I tweet at someone to pls gently caress off I get a notice that my tweets won't be visible for the next 12hours and then a countdown timer starts.

mst4k
Apr 18, 2003

budlitemolaram

BONE DOG posted:

What I'm saying is that americans are crazy

The only other country I ahve ever lived in is Namibia and while the people and city are nice and stuff it is so loving boring compared to america

BONE DOG
Jun 7, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

karma_coma posted:

The only other country I ahve ever lived in is Namibia and while the people and city are nice and stuff it is so loving boring compared to america

I've spent a lot of time in both canada and the united states. America is far more polarized. While canadians differ greatly in their opinions, the core values are the same. As in, they have similar paradigms. America is different. There is a fear and paranoia that many possess which i don't understand.

It leads to a lor of hosed up poo poo.

Catastrophe
Oct 5, 2007

Committed to burn twice as long and half as bright
Just saw this a couple of blocks from our place.

I didn't know that ".WTF" was a TLD these days. Weird.

BONE DOG
Jun 7, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Sleeping with a loaded .45 under your pillow is loving insane to virtually all canadians but many americans who fear communists/muslims/trans people this is a prudent and sensible measure. At the same time a great deal of americans are calling for gun control more restrictive than Canada's

super macho dude
Aug 9, 2014

Unleash the Hogg Child

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost
My entire life I have never once considered that anybody around me is carrying a gun. Never once. Not at school, not at the grocery store, not at the mall, not at church, not at a park, not at the beach, not at a restaurant, not at work

I have never ever once in my life when grabbing all of the things I leave the house with -- phone, keys, wallet -- considered that I also need a gun in case I need to shoot someone on the way to the grocery store. I almost never take my phone with me now because I don't want people calling me when I'm out doing my own thing.

But when I visited virginia there were actually people open carrying pistols at the loving grocery store. I honestly didn't think that kind of poo poo was real. I thought that was stereotypes and news exaggeration but no. Virginia actually had houses that flew a confederate flag and people who carried visibly displayed guns at the grocery store.

Methanar fucked around with this message at 05:14 on Mar 30, 2018

BONE DOG
Jun 7, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Methanar posted:

My entire life I have never once considered that anybody around me is carrying a gun. Never once. Not at school, not at the grocery store, not at the mall, not at church, not at a park, not at the beach, not at a restaurant, not at work

I have never ever once in my life when grabbing all of the things I leave the house with -- phone, keys, wallet -- considered that I also need a gun in case I need to shoot someone on the way to the grocery store.

But when I visited virginia there were actually people open carrying pistols at the loving grocery store. I honestly didn't think that kind of poo poo was real. I thought that was stereotypes and news exaggeration but no. Virginia actually had houses that flew a confederate flag and people who carried visibly displayed guns at the grocery store.
This is just it. What the gently caress are you afraid of when going out to buy a quart of milk? I go out in a pair of gym shorts with a debit card in my pocket.

mst4k
Apr 18, 2003

budlitemolaram

Methanar posted:

I have never ever once in my life when grabbing all of the things I leave the house with -- phone, keys, wallet -- considered that I also need a gun in case I need to shoot someone on the way to the grocery store.

Lol.

I live in a very red open carry state and I have literally never seen anyone open carry, ever. Every once in a while, like twice a year, there is a news story about someone shooting and killing someone who is b&e.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=elVClWlTOZ4 this happened in my state, bitch literally shot this dude, and was found not guilty. Some kind of bail bonds dispute.

Waterbed Wendy
Jan 29, 2009
I understand open-carrying a lot more than concealed carrying, tbh. I realize it's unsettling to see a dude strapped up in a Publix waiting in line for his ham sub, but a reason gun advocates use to combat gun regulation is that the mere presence of a gun will deter criminals.

So if you think that, then why get a CCW? It seems surreptitious at best.

Obviously, this conversation is much bigger than that one point, but it's such a weird one that has never really been explained to me.

Kumo
Jul 31, 2004

every now and again ben shapiro steps forward to remind you what a giant piece of poo poo he is and

https://twitter.com/benshapiro/status/979434401200095232

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost

karma_coma posted:

Lol.

I live in a very red open carry state and I have literally never seen anyone open carry, ever. Every once in a while, like twice a year, there is a news story about someone shooting and killing someone who is b&e.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=elVClWlTOZ4 this happened in my state, bitch literally shot this dude, and was found not guilty. Some kind of bail bonds dispute.

She literally lowered the gun after one shot. She wasn't scared of anything.

Waterbed Wendy posted:

I understand open-carrying a lot more than concealed carrying, tbh. I realize it's unsettling to see a dude strapped up in a Publix waiting in line for his ham sub, but a reason gun advocates use to combat gun regulation is that the mere presence of a gun will deter criminals.

So if you think that, then why get a CCW? It seems surreptitious at best.

Obviously, this conversation is much bigger than that one point, but it's such a weird one that has never really been explained to me.

If I go to superstore and see someone walking around with a pistol, the guy with the pistol is the criminal.

NotWearingPants
Jan 3, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost

BONE DOG posted:

This is just it. What the gently caress are you afraid of when going out to buy a quart of milk? I go out in a pair of gym shorts with a debit card in my pocket.

Other guys with guns?

also, I think the Lebron James lawsuit thing is fake.

NotWearingPants
Jan 3, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost
https://twitter.com/kylegriffin1/status/979541259340697601

:lol:

quote:

Ex-VA Secretary Shulkin says that Trump called him yesterday and made no mention of firing him. Later that same day, Trump fired him by tweet, LIKE A DOG.

Catastrophe
Oct 5, 2007

He's such a 'fraidy baby.

Kirk Vikernes
Apr 26, 2004

Count Goatnackh

Methanar posted:

:allears:

Speedboat Jones
Dec 28, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
So loving alpha

Bacon Taco
Jun 8, 2006

Now with extra narwhal meat!
HAIKOOLIGAN
Dinosaur Gum

BONE DOG posted:

I feel that banning assault weapons while noble, is missing the mark so to speak. The real problem is the mental illness and subsequent violence that is so ingrained in the american psyche. For example in canada the ar 15 and other .223 caliber semi automatic rifles are very much legal but somehow canadian children don't seem to have the same desire to murder their schoolyard chums.

Why is this

A question a child might ask, but not a childish question.

Probably a little too 80's Time Life book commercial for most goons, to be sure. But this is really a critical question, isn't it? The Canadians have equal access to incels.me and to violent video games and the Internet, but for some reason they don't go on killing sprees like Americans. I have no idea why that is but the answer would be fascinating as well as immensely useful.

Obsidianheart
Apr 26, 2017

Throwing off the shadow of a better man.

BONE DOG posted:

Legit question, because I have no clue: What are Canadian mental health services like?

Guy I know thinks that all the gun obsession stems from Westerns and the dramatization of the Old West as a wild land tamed by the end of a pistol. Only the ideal has gotten "telephoned" down through the ages, and distorted.

I think it's the fact that there's 326-ish million people in our country and the best way to stand out if you're already nobody is to be that "Hero" who saved the school from terrorists stood your ground against carjackers defended the Steak 'n' Shake from gang violence saved the day. Sure, it's only your 15 minutes, but you're smart, and can stretch that out into the rest of your days.

Bacon Taco
Jun 8, 2006

HAIKOOLIGAN
Dinosaur Gum

karma_coma posted:

Lol.

I went to college in Republican Goldwater Arizona in the 80s, where open carry was perfectly legal other than in a bar or a bank or a few other places, and I can count on one hand the number of times I saw a dude open carry in four years of school. Even my most conservative of friends would be like, I have the right to do this, but why the gently caress would I carry a pistol everywhere I go? I think maybe it wasn't until the 90s or even post 9/11 that dudes decided that wearing their cock out in the open was cool and manly and the thing to do.

Bacon Taco fucked around with this message at 06:18 on Mar 30, 2018

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Obsidianheart posted:

Legit question, because I have no clue: What are Canadian mental health services like?

Very poor, went through the same bullshit in the 80s as the US and UK. You had Reagan, UK had Thatcher, we had Mulroney. So now people who should be getting mental health care all end up on the streets in Vancouver, the one place they won't be hassled and/or freeze to death.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
https://twitter.com/pattymo/status/979564990477746182

Catastrophe
Oct 5, 2007

https://sadtrombone.com/

Blast of Confetti
Apr 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

BONE DOG posted:

Sleeping with a loaded .45 under your pillow is loving insane to virtually all canadians but many americans who fear communists/muslims/trans people this is a prudent and sensible measure. At the same time a great deal of americans are calling for gun control more restrictive than Canada's

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IRUw3R5kZtk

BONE DOG
Jun 7, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

NotWearingPants posted:

Other guys with guns?

also, I think the Lebron James lawsuit thing is fake.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

jesus christ that suit is so laughably bad i cannot get over it

mst4k
Apr 18, 2003

budlitemolaram

Photo of the year hahahahaha, this is good poo poo haha.

Hope Hicks would've kissed Jeb!.

BONE DOG
Jun 7, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Obsidianheart posted:

Guy I know thinks that all the gun obsession stems from Westerns and the dramatization of the Old West as a wild land tamed by the end of a pistol. Only the ideal has gotten "telephoned" down through the ages, and distorted.

I think it's the fact that there's 326-ish million people in our country and the best way to stand out if you're already nobody is to be that "Hero" who saved the school from terrorists stood your ground against carjackers defended the Steak 'n' Shake from gang violence saved the day. Sure, it's only your 15 minutes, but you're smart, and can stretch that out into the rest of your days.

Its certainly not perfect or even adequate, but there seems to be a stronger grasp here of who is considered dangerous. It is coupled with a prudent firearms regulation system. It us much, much harder for someone who could potentially commit mass murder to get a gun. The question for me is why this happens so much on america and very rarely in canada

NotWearingPants
Jan 3, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost

Chinatown posted:

It's a coat.

Bacon Taco
Jun 8, 2006

HAIKOOLIGAN
Dinosaur Gum

Chinatown posted:

that jacket is goodwill bad, not even men's wearhouse bad. and he's a bigly "millionaire"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bacon Taco
Jun 8, 2006

HAIKOOLIGAN
Dinosaur Gum

now that you say it i see it