Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

For some reason it's really important to be "into" these franchises. Nobody cares if you're really into Homer or Mervyn Peake, but it's a huge deal that someone likes Tolkien.

It signals that the material is really lacking despite its appeal, which is why there's this rhetoric of more enjoyment.

The Gormenghast books on the other hand are satisfying despite being unfinished that there is no fandom or academic movement trying to decipher its "world-building".
It actually is very helpful when someone adapting or even just acting out a classic is really into the source material. Hence why the Chimes at Midnight is a such a lovely adaptation of multiple Shakespeare plays. Orson Wells felt a proud connection to Falstaff and as such brought an enormous weight* to his fall. Hell weird fanboy obsession is the only reason half of the Shakespeare plays were even preserved at all.

*fat joke not intended

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

Leal posted:

No, I did not photoshop this.

He was too loving lazy to trim the skull mask image.

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

TODAY'S GONNA BE A GOOD MOTHERFUCKIN' DAY!!!

Libluini posted:

Ah, the Irate Gamer. I've tried watching him once, and decided to go back trying to read Gormenghast and Night Land. Yes, he is that boring

I wonder if Chris Boring saw the massive bile people have for Doug right now and thought "But that's my spotlight!"

I did fail to finish the Night Land. Everybody who talks about that book says that the original is terribly written and that somebody else redid it and made it better. Maybe I'll give that version a shot sometime.

Vanderdeath posted:

Seriously. I liked Titus Groan but to act like anything past that book is undeniably good is a weird hill to die on. Titus Alone was meandering and dull in a way that makes it a bore to get through.

also steerpike did nothing wrong

You're right about Titus Alone. What do you have against Gormenghast?

(i would say that burning a library is wrong but that's just me)

Solitair fucked around with this message at 02:27 on Mar 30, 2018

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

You seem to have imagined that I'm criticizing the late Christopher Lee for liking something.

That's not what I was attempting to imply. I was describing a phenomenon you seemed to be gesturing towards where fans project certain motivations onto actors, using Lee in this context as an example.

Also count me in as another weird fucker who loves Gormenghast.

I Before E fucked around with this message at 04:37 on Mar 30, 2018

lornekates
Oct 3, 2014

Web Developer for phelous.com dot com.

Annointed posted:

He was too loving lazy to trim the skull mask image.

Can't find it now, but I remember Lindsay tweeting, back when the NC Mad Max """""review""""" came out-- something along the lines of "I just want to take him aside and tell him, you know, you can use [some term I can't remember, but it's for feathering the edges of a chroma key so the green doesn't bleed over onto the actors]".

That was late 2015. Good to see he's only gotten lazier.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
Before this thread gets shut down, on a lark I looked back at all the things I said ITT and what was going on when I said them. There was plenty of dumb stuff, from me and others, and then there are things like this:

Mraagvpeine posted:

I wonder if a Christian studio will retaliate against Brad and his reviews by making a Christian movie that blatantly attacks internet reviewers.

dijon du jour posted:

*Scene: a basement lit only by a single bare lightbulb. A bald critic in an ill-fitting suit and no shoes is sitting in a chair*

Critic: "I for one am offended by these... Christian... movies pushing their religious agendas on me. *the man dramatically smells and then takes a drink of some kind of wine* Being forced to watch these movies is violating my right to not believe in anything."

*The man reaches over and turns off the camera. He shakes his fist in the air*

Critic: "Just you wait, David A.R. White! Someday I will take you down because I am jealous of your success in addition to your large and handsome penis!"

*scene transition to a few weeks later with the Critic sitting in a doctor's office*

Doctor: "I'm very sorry. But the test results have come back positive. You have chronic leg-fall-off disease."

Critic: Oh my god! *he breaks down sobbing for several minutes* I can't believe it! My life is over!

*a passenger train crashes through the wall of the doctor's office and into the Critic*

David A.R. White: *jumps out of the train's cab* "Oh my gosh! This was not an outcome I wanted to happen but it sure is fortuitous for me that it did! In any case you should quickly agree with me before you run out of blood."

Critic: "I... like all atheists... only... disagree... with you for... personal... reasons... not... theological... ones..."

David A.R. White: "lol jk God says no takesies backsies."

*audiences around the world give a standing ovation to the feel-good inspirational movie of the decade*
Considering Let There Be Light, this might not be too far off now.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

corn in the bible posted:

The Aeneid is Homer fanfic
I wish that Homer's Epics would have gotten the LOTR treatment, its not like they are that far out there in adapting faithfully

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

Talking poo poo about Christopher Lee should be a probatable offender because he was hella rad.

Farg
Nov 19, 2013

For some reason it's really important to be "into" these franchises. Nobody cares if you're really into Homer or Mervyn Peake, but it's a huge deal that someone likes Tolkien.

It signals that the material is really lacking despite its appeal, which is why there's this rhetoric of more enjoyment.

The Gormenghast books on the other hand are satisfying despite being unfinished that there is no fandom or academic movement trying to decipher its "world-building".

Gormenghast is derivative shlock, why do you think it's good

Sarcopenia
May 14, 2014

Kim Justice posted:

Nah, Vsauce isn't - he does like, pop science mainly. Also a HUUUUGE channel. And Fantano does music.

They do actually collaborate a fair bit but really I just felt like a spot of shitposting :)

I welcome anything that isn't a conversation about pop culture with BOTL

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Farg posted:

Do not engage with BoTL. Almost every remark he makes in this thread is pretty transparent baitposting to try and draw anyone he can into a lovely circular argument that he will perpetuate for as long as he can in bad faith.

Do not take the bait.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
For some reason people are really afraid of duplicity in arguments like "the way The Lord of the Rings is regarded by fans shows some insecurity and need for validation". It's "bad faith".

Nucleic Acids
Apr 10, 2007
Or maybe they think it’s just a really bad argument that you seem to be pretending other people are making.

Anyways, has Lindsey ever said if she’d do an examination of Fury Road, if she hasn’t done one already? Because it seems like it’d be a great combination.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Nucleic Acids posted:

Anyways, has Lindsey ever said if she’d do an examination of Fury Road, if she hasn’t done one already? Because it seems like it’d be a great combination.

She's done a video or two on the film techniques of it but not a full critique.

Sarcopenia
May 14, 2014

For some reason people are really afraid of duplicity in arguments like "the way The Lord of the Rings is regarded by fans shows some insecurity and need for validation". It's "bad faith".
I personally don't care about the content of your posts I just hate having to scroll for what feels like hours missing actual content because I do not care about whatever discussion people have with you. You might as well dig a hole and scream into it for a full minute. They do not like a thing. Wow shocking. Do y'all have to write several pages in response to that? Who are you talking to?

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Do not engage with BoTL.

Full stop.

A Gnarlacious Bro
Apr 25, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Sarcopenia posted:

I personally don't care about the content of your posts I just hate having to scroll for what feels like hours missing actual content because I do not care about whatever discussion people have with you. You might as well dig a hole and scream into it for a full minute. They do not like a thing. Wow shocking. Do y'all have to write several pages in response to that? Who are you talking to?

Probably the people responding to his arguments

Sarcopenia
May 14, 2014

A Gnarlacious Bro posted:

Probably the people responding to his arguments
But mostly it's just the same thing over and over. Like if someone has already made a point to them someone else has to say almost the exact same thing and so on for an entire page. Then they post a new obvious bait post and it all begins again.

What's So Great About That? - Haunted hotels in cinema.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=di12l0Bjafc
Raycevick - Max Payne retrospective.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X79uF_EYDnI

Writer Cath
Apr 1, 2007

Box. Flipped.
Plaster Town Cop
Looks like Mike J is the latest to leave Channel Awesome.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lhbbkXRMlvU

lornekates
Oct 3, 2014

Web Developer for phelous.com dot com.

Writer Cath posted:

Looks like Mike J is the latest to leave Channel Awesome.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lhbbkXRMlvU

I ALREADY POSTED THAT I CALLED POSTER DIBS I WILL DESTORY YOU! BANNED BANNED BANNED BANNED!

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Mike and Jay were on Channel Awesome? How did Mike manage that?

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
I know no one here really cares about this person, but Tyger is leaving too, for other reasons.

DoubleCakes
Jan 14, 2015

Yeeeeah, SuperButterBuns has a new video on the powerhouse JRPG Shin Megami Tensei: Nocturne!

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!
Does Mike J not realize if you spend a whole week subsisting on only McD's that at the end of the seventh day the spell is complete and you become the next Hamburglar?

Kim Justice
Jan 29, 2007

Mike really seems to chain these weeks of shite food together. Love the guy but...c'mon. Eat something fresh. Get a steak. A nice salad. Treat yourself.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

when the new thread is finally made can we, instead of barring botl from posting in it, just ban anyone who actually responds to them

seriously why in the blue hell do you people keep engaging with them

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
blue hell is overrated compared to green hell

FoldableHuman
Mar 26, 2017

Mraagvpeine posted:

I know no one here really cares about this person, but Tyger is leaving too, for other reasons.

quote:

I'm aware of the current "drama" going on, but my decision has ZERO to do with it.
Ah, Tyger, never change. Why take a principled stand when you could instead instead take the most deferential stand possible?

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Farg posted:

Peake has a talent for bizarre, grotesque description that creates a sort of curdled whimsy, a sort of Beetlejuice mood where things are both repulsive and fascinating, and the section in Titus Groan where each character at a dinner table has their own concurrent stream of consciousness monologue is a tremendous example of Peake's knack for character voices.

KayTee
May 5, 2012

Whachoodoin?
Fredrik Knudsen just released a Down the Rabbit Hole video about Spoony.

I'm not gonna link it. I don't think I'll watch it.

Pretend this post didn't happen.

Here's a new Baywaching Nights instead:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BxhncsnWpyc

DoubleCakes
Jan 14, 2015

I don't think that Tyger was too good for CA but his niche of reviewing concert films was pretty inspired compared to most people on CA that usually just rip-off Nostalgia Critic. As for him brushing off the """"drama"""" like he's above it all, hmmmm... okay then.

Meinberg
Oct 9, 2011

inspired by but legally distinct from CATS (2019)

KayTee posted:

Fredrik Knudsen just released a Down the Rabbit Hole video about Spoony.

I'm not gonna link it. I don't think I'll watch it.

Pretend this post didn't happen.

Here's a new Baywaching Nights instead:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BxhncsnWpyc

I watched the Down the Rabbit Hole video. My only take aways were that 1) the American medical health care system sucks and 2) LordKat is an awful, reprehensible human being whose rants I didn't really want to hear.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

Meinberg posted:

My only take aways were that 1) the American medical health care system sucks and 2) LordKat is an awful, reprehensible human being whose rants I didn't really want to hear.

Both 100% correct.

Bakeneko
Jan 9, 2007

FoldableHuman posted:

Ah, Tyger, never change. Why take a principled stand when you could instead instead take the most deferential stand possible?

Or he could just be telling the truth. He hasn’t posted a video in months and it seems like he has a lot of unpleasant stuff going on in his life at the moment, so there’s no reason to accuse him of lying about why he’s leaving.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Bakeneko posted:

Or he could just be telling the truth. He hasn’t posted a video in months and it seems like he has a lot of unpleasant stuff going on in his life at the moment, so there’s no reason to accuse him of lying about why he’s leaving.

No. Tyger is one of the bad people.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Does it feature Dante from the Devil May Cry series?

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

Bakeneko posted:

It's more that it's just really douchey to go "And NO, it's NOT because of all the lovely things coming out!" when taking your leave of a place where this is happening. Like oh thanks for letting us know you don't care.

Kim Justice
Jan 29, 2007

If you look at the original blog post he made he says that not only did his father die of cancer last year but tons of problems have followed surrounding his widow, along with other poo poo surrounding his channel that's causing him to step away. Not seeing what the issue is here. Don't be dicks.

Baka-nin
Jan 25, 2015

Kim Justice posted:

Ooooooooooohhh.

Hmm. Yeah, that's pretty poo poo. I mean, what kind of bad taste must you have to think that IG's videos were better than JewWario's?

(Seriously gently caress Chris for that. There's really nothing here but morbid curiosity at his frankly unwelcome return - like jeez, as far as early YT AVGN-style folk go I'd rather have UrinatingTree or Armake21 or Bogart or He11sing (R.I.P) or literally anyone else back. Also, he makes Blockbuster Buster look like Pauline Kael.)

One finger of the monkey's paw curls up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fa2yw6B_59s

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Why is it called a "monkey's paw" anyway? I'm pretty sure that's a monkey's hand. Would we call severed hands "human paws"?

• Locked thread