Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Canemacar
Mar 8, 2008

Guy Goodbody posted:

If you could point to a first world country that had a thriving black market gun trade, on the scale of alcohol during prohibition or drugs during now, that would be terrific.

The US.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Good point, banning the production and legal selling of semi-automatic guns would have an enormous effect on the illegal gun trade inside the US, supply would be drastically cut and prices would shoot up, making them far less available on the black market

Goddamn, my plan is like a fractal of upsides, with literally no downsides!

Canemacar
Mar 8, 2008

Guy Goodbody posted:

Good point, banning the production and legal selling of semi-automatic guns would have an enormous effect on the illegal gun trade inside the US, supply would be drastically cut and prices would shoot up, making them far less available on the black market

Goddamn, my plan is like a fractal of upsides, with literally no downsides!

"Good point, banning the production and legal selling of semi-automatic guns whiskey would have an enormous effect on the illegal gun alcohol trade inside the US, supply would be drastically cut and prices would shoot up, making them far less available on the black market."

I feel like we're going in circles here. I say I don't support gun control because it'll turn out like Prohibition. You say you want to know a country with a black market in guns. I say we already have one. You say this proves we should do Prohibition again.

Canemacar has a new favorite as of 23:19 on Mar 29, 2018

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

oldpainless posted:

Hmm yes my friend I totally agree but instead of shooting victims who are dumb it’s rape victims I think are the idiots

Victims can be both stupid and not at fault. And that's a false equivalency anyways.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
I like to imagine that it’s harder to build a gun than to make moonshine but I don’t have faith in this hellworld anymore

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Canemacar posted:

"Good point, banning the production and legal selling of semi-automatic guns whiskey would have an enormous effect on the illegal gun alcohol trade inside the US, supply would be drastically cut and prices would shoot up, making them far less available on the black market."

I feel like we're going in circles here. I say I don't support gun control because it'll turn out like Prohibition. You say you want to know a country with a black market in guns. I say we already have one. You say this proves we should do Prohibition again.

Prohibition banned all alcohol. My plan only band semi-automatic guns, which I thought I had made quite clear. Also, I asked for a first world country with a black market in guns as extensive as the black market for alcohol during prohibition or drugs during now. Yes, there is a black market in guns in the us, but it's pretty small.

I want to be super clear here, because I guess I wasn't before. We should ban all semi-automatic guns. You will still be able to buy guns. Just not semi-auto guns. The onus is on you to prove that people so desperately crave the thrill that only a semi-automatic gun would provide, that a massive black market would spring up to replace legal channels, to the point where there isn't even a noticeable drop in the supply of guns because people just go down to their local black market like they would to Ducks Unlimited now.

Please also explain where the guns would come from, because as I said, it would not be legal to manufacture those guns in America.

Canemacar
Mar 8, 2008

fruit on the bottom posted:

I like to imagine that its harder to build a gun than to make moonshine but I dont have faith in this hellworld anymore

The world will always find new ways to disappoint you.

Google zipgun.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Canemacar posted:

The world will always find new ways to disappoint you.

Google zipgun.

I'm losing my poo poo here. I want to ban semi-auto guns. Regular guns would still be legal. If you really think some dude in his garage churning out assault weapons out of scrap is gonna replace the current legitimate gun manufacturers, You have a faith in backyard manufacturing that would make Mao blush.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

There was a prisoner that launched a sharpened piece of wire out of a pen tube that pierced a prison guard's face shield. People can make guns out of anything. They're like the bongs of murder devices.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

hawowanlawow posted:

barbeque sauce is gross
I sorta agree...

I like the barbeque flavor when its on something that was actually cooked on a grill. It really needs that smoky carmelization and bit of burntness that cooking on a fire provides. BBQ chips and anything else flavored like that is gross to me

Elizabethan Error
May 18, 2006

Canemacar posted:

yah this is a dishonest comparison. you can make liquor for <200-300$, whereas gunsmithing requires equipment far in excess (value wise) of that.

Canemacar
Mar 8, 2008

Guy Goodbody posted:

Prohibition banned all alcohol. My plan only band semi-automatic guns, which I thought I had made quite clear. Also, I asked for a first world country with a black market in guns as extensive as the black market for alcohol during prohibition or drugs during now. Yes, there is a black market in guns in the us, but it's pretty small.

I want to be super clear here, because I guess I wasn't before. We should ban all semi-automatic guns. You will still be able to buy guns. Just not semi-auto guns. The onus is on you to prove that people so desperately crave the thrill that only a semi-automatic gun would provide, that a massive black market would spring up to replace legal channels, to the point where there isn't even a noticeable drop in the supply of guns because people just go down to their local black market like they would to Ducks Unlimited now.

Please also explain where the guns would come from, because as I said, it would not be legal to manufacture those guns in America.

Couple things:

1: Prohibition didn't ban all alcohol. Aside from "medicinal" alcohol, sacramental wines,
and it's industrial uses; you could also make your own wine or beer at home. People weren't satisfied with that just as I don't think they'll be satisfied with a semi-auto ban.

2: The arms trade in the US isn't exactly small. The main interstate along the eastern seaboard is called the Iron Pipeline for a reason.

3: Where *wouldn't* the guns come from? You can make fully automatic guns in any metalshop. That's why the Kalashnikov is so popular around the world; you can buy them for under $100 in some countries. And that's not counting any sort of zipgun; basically the "bathtub gin" of guns.

Canemacar has a new favorite as of 23:46 on Mar 29, 2018

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Canemacar posted:

Couple things:

1: Prohibition didn't ban all alcohol. Aside from "medicinal" alcohol, sacramental wines,
and it's industrial uses; you could also make your own wine or beer at home. People weren't satisfied with that just as I don't think they'll be satisfied with a semi-auto ban.

2: The arms trade in the US isn't exactly small. The main interstate along the eastern seaboard is called the Iron Pipeline for a reason.

3: Where *wouldn't* the guns come from? You can make fully automatic guns in any metalshop. That's why the Kalashnikov is so popular around the world; you can buy them for under $100 in some countries. And that's not counting any sort of zipgun; basically the "bathtub gin" of guns.

this is very tiring

1: My plan still allows completely legal sales of regular guns. No special allowances necessary like were needed for medicinal or sacramental alcohol. You could just walk into a store and buy them, you wouldn't need to make them at home.

2: OK, so we've gone from "as big as the current drug trade" to "n[o]t exactly small" Great, That's progress. Now I want you to consider how the arms trade would be effected by the shutting down of all legal semi-auto gun manufacturing in the US. I think, it would be negatively effected, and it would become much harder to obtain a gun.

3: OK, now this is the really important point, and I think we're gonna need to put all of our brain power on it. Do you think that there would be fewer guns manufactured in secret metalshops than there are currently being manufactured in the open legally in big gun factories? Don't answer right away, think on it. Roll the idea around in your brain for awhile. Large manufactures legally operating in the open in massive factories and legally ordering materials, small illegal operations operating under the radar. Remember that demand isn't going to be as high as you think, because regular guns will still be legal. They'll only be serving clientele who for whatever reason want an illegal semi-auto gun because they aren't satisfied with regular guns. So add that to your brain pan, people who want to legally purchase a gun vs people who want to illegally purchase a gun. think on it, really do.

And jesus christ shut up about zipguns, you loving moron. I have explained over and over again that I would only ban semi-automatic guns. People would sitll be able to buy regular guns, with even fewer restrictions than exist now. Stop bringing up zipguns, jesus christ.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Canemacar posted:

Couple things:

A little point on that one; prohibition did even prohibit making it for personal use.

quote:

After one year from the ratification of this article the manufacture, sale, or transportation of intoxicating liquors within, the importation thereof into, or the exportation thereof from the United States and all the territory subject to the jurisdiction thereof for beverage purposes is hereby prohibited.

It was in fact illegal to make it for yourself. But like tends to happen with that sort of thing most people who did found ways around it or just didn't get caught because how are you going to police that? There were things like people buying grape juice but letting it ferment but being all "well I just forgot it was in the back of the cupboard, you know how it is" if they got caught. Making it yourself was still counted as "manufacture."

There were obvious exceptions like sacramental wine, industrial alcohols, and medicinal use.

Alcohol laws work right now because they regulate it in the variety of ways; we know people are going to drink so as long as you're not stupid about it it's fine to do. Like if you want to get ragingly drunk then go for it but keep yourself away from cars and heavy equipment.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
I think I understand now. To stop school shootings, we must ban grapes.

Canemacar
Mar 8, 2008

Guy Goodbody posted:

this is very tiring

1: My plan still allows completely legal sales of regular guns. No special allowances necessary like were needed for medicinal or sacramental alcohol. You could just walk into a store and buy them, you wouldn't need to make them at home.

2: OK, so we've gone from "as big as the current drug trade" to "n[o]t exactly small" Great, That's progress. Now I want you to consider how the arms trade would be effected by the shutting down of all legal semi-auto gun manufacturing in the US. I think, it would be negatively effected, and it would become much harder to obtain a gun.

3: OK, now this is the really important point, and I think we're gonna need to put all of our brain power on it. Do you think that there would be fewer guns manufactured in secret metalshops than there are currently being manufactured in the open legally in big gun factories? Don't answer right away, think on it. Roll the idea around in your brain for awhile. Large manufactures legally operating in the open in massive factories and legally ordering materials, small illegal operations operating under the radar. Remember that demand isn't going to be as high as you think, because regular guns will still be legal. They'll only be serving clientele who for whatever reason want an illegal semi-auto gun because they aren't satisfied with regular guns. So add that to your brain pan, people who want to legally purchase a gun vs people who want to illegally purchase a gun. think on it, really do.

And jesus christ shut up about zipguns, you loving moron. I have explained over and over again that I would only ban semi-automatic guns. People would sitll be able to buy regular guns, with even fewer restrictions than exist now. Stop bringing up zipguns, jesus christ.

You know what's tiring? Talking to an rear end in a top hat. You've been acting like a dick the entire time I've talked to you and now you're just name calling. People are allowed to disagree with you. Grow the gently caress up and deal with it.

Canemacar
Mar 8, 2008

ToxicSlurpee posted:

A little point on that one; prohibition did even prohibit making it for personal use.

It was in fact illegal to make it for yourself. But like tends to happen with that sort of thing most people who did found ways around it or just didn't get caught because how are you going to police that? There were things like people buying grape juice but letting it ferment but being all "well I just forgot it was in the back of the cupboard, you know how it is" if they got caught. Making it yourself was still counted as "manufacture."

There were obvious exceptions like sacramental wine, industrial alcohols, and medicinal use.

I looked it up when I wrote that because I couldn't remember the details. But it looks like I was wrong about the beer. Sort of.

From wikipedia:

"While the manufacture, importation, sale, and transport of alcohol was illegal in the United States, Section 29 of the Volstead Act allowed wine and cider to be made from fruit at home, but not beer. Up to 200 gallons of wine and cider per year could be made"

"Section 29 of the Act allowed 200 gallons (the equivalent of about 1000 750 ml bottles) of "non-intoxicating cider and fruit juice" to be made each year at home.[14] Initially "intoxicating" was defined as anything more than 0.5%,[15] but the Bureau of Internal Revenue soon struck that down[16] and this effectively legalized home wine-making. For beer, however, the 0.5% limit remained until 1933."

Canemacar has a new favorite as of 00:43 on Mar 30, 2018

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

fruit on the bottom posted:

I think I understand now. To stop school shootings, we must ban grapes.

And raisins. You can't pick and choose which grapes to ban. The only way to affect change is through a 100% comprehensive ban on all berries.

Canemacar
Mar 8, 2008

Solice Kirsk posted:

And raisins. You can't pick and choose which grapes to ban. The only way to affect change is through a 100% comprehensive ban on all berries.

You can have my strawberries when you pry them from my sticky, juice-covered hands.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Canemacar posted:

You can have my strawberries when you pry them from my sticky, juice-covered hands.

You son of a bitch. You goddamned son of a bitch. Strawberries aren't real berries, idiot. You goddamned idiot son of a bitch. Apologize to everyone in this thread for spreading your lies.

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos
I love how the "let's just ban guns" crowd conveniently forgets we're the largest weapons manufacturer in the world, and that our economy partially depends on that industry.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

MizPiz posted:

I love how the "let's just ban slavery" crowd conveniently forgets we're the largest cotton exporter in the world, and that our economy partially depends on that industry.

Or, more relevant to my country

MizPiz posted:

I love how the "let's just ban fossil fuels" crowd conveniently forgets we're the largest coal exporter in the world, and that our economy partially depends on that industry.

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...
Warhammer, 40k especially, loving suuuuuuuuuuucks

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

I think in 50 years drinking alcohol the way we do now will be seen by young people as a crazy risk, like the way we react to old people talking about how they never wore seatbelts or bike helmets.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Same but with eating meat

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Olive! posted:

Warhammer, 40k especially, loving suuuuuuuuuuucks
:agreed: but I like it on that score. It both scratches the itch of dumb poo poo I liked when I was 13 while simultaneously being a total mockery of said dumb poo poo.

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Or, more relevant to my country

By the mid 19 century, slavery as it was practiced in the south was extremely ineffecient and literally only continued to maintain the social order it created.

Also, coal today is pretty much a deader industry than slavery (which is alive and well, even in this country). If you wanted to use a real example, you should've gone with oil, which, even though it is basically a dying industry, we depend on it even more than we do the arms trade.

MizPiz has a new favorite as of 04:37 on Mar 30, 2018

Blue Star
Feb 18, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
A lot of Northern European cuisine is actually pretty gosh darn good. All those different types of beers certainly count as cuisine. So do all those cheeses and sausages they got up there. And the desserts.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

MizPiz posted:

Also, coal today is pretty much a deader industry than slavery (which is alive and well, even in this country). If you wanted to use a real example, you should've gone with oil, which, even though it is basically a dying industry, we depend on it even more than we do the arms trade.
Coal dwarfs the oil industry here, even if you include gas. If fossil fuels were banned it'd still be an important industry because of how much of the coal is used in steel production.

I'm not sure why you call it a dead industry, even if it'd be good if a chunk of it did die.

Doctor Spaceman has a new favorite as of 05:24 on Mar 30, 2018

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar

Blue Star posted:

A lot of Northern European cuisine is actually pretty gosh darn good. All those different types of beers certainly count as cuisine. So do all those cheeses and sausages they got up there. And the desserts.

They do some weird things with fish but otherwise I agree. Most Norwegian food I had was really good. The dried fish that was basically everywhere though I just didn't get, but I could see how it might grow on me if I was surrounded by it.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

yeah I eat rear end posted:

They do some weird things with fish but otherwise I agree. Most Norwegian food I had was really good. The dried fish that was basically everywhere though I just didn't get, but I could see how it might grow on me if I was surrounded by it.
How was the dried fish spiced?

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Defender of democracy and human rights 🇺🇦
Dried fish really isn't that common, at least it Finland. Much less common than wet fish, like pickled herring, anyway.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar

mind the walrus posted:

How was the dried fish spiced?

It just tasted salty. I'm sure there were other varieties with different spices but I didn't try them.

also doverhog I was up in the islands in northern norway, maybe it's mostly local to that area but there were cod drying racks pretty much everywhere and it seemed to be a pretty popular snack.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
Soiled Meat

Canemacar posted:

I thought it was clear I don't support gun control. I don't think it's an effective solution anymore than Prohibition stopped people from drinking or the War on Drugs stopped people from using drugs.

You can't stop people, says a person in the only country this ever happens.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
Soiled Meat

MizPiz posted:

I love how the "let's just ban guns" crowd conveniently forgets we're the largest weapons manufacturer in the world, and that our economy partially depends on that industry.

We can't close down the Cyanide Candy factory, think of the unemployment rates!

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

We should encourage smoking again because the population is getting too large. Baby boomers are too healthy and will live forever, sucking on the teat of social security. Give the boomers more guns.

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

Canemacar posted:

Hey good point, prohibition didn't stop alcohol trade but you know what it did do it lowered the amount of people killed by alcoholism by a lot. country kinda like banning some guns won't end gun trade but it might lower the mass shooting epidemic.

i mean maybe everyone will start making bathtub AK's and selling them in seedy underground shooteasies

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Defender of democracy and human rights 🇺🇦

yeah I eat rear end posted:

It just tasted salty. I'm sure there were other varieties with different spices but I didn't try them.

also doverhog I was up in the islands in northern norway, maybe it's mostly local to that area but there were cod drying racks pretty much everywhere and it seemed to be a pretty popular snack.

Yeah makes sense, northern Norway is gonna be different.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Toronto is the least interesting and most generic Big City on the planet. That doesn't make it a bad place to live, it gets good stuff by virtue of being Big, but compared to any other city it's just... bleh.

The CN Tower shouldn't be considered a tourist attraction because it reveals to all how all of Toronto is a dull, grey nothingscape.

Also, if goons ever get declared Undesireables, yeah I eat rear end is gonna be the head kapo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Toronto is the least interesting and most generic Big City on the planet. That doesn't make it a bad place to live, it gets good stuff by virtue of being Big, but compared to any other city it's just... bleh.

The CN Tower shouldn't be considered a tourist attraction because it reveals to all how all of Toronto is a dull, grey nothingscape.

Also, if goons ever get declared Undesireables, yeah I eat rear end is gonna be the head kapo.

wrong, that honor is a four way tie between Dallas, Phoenix, Houston, and Atlanta