Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
if you take 10000 steps a day you can eat anything you want and you won't gain an oz

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

Ur Getting Fatter posted:

hackers know I've been eating too many carbs

quote:

the majority with the hashing function called bcrypt

quote:

majority

Lysidas
Jul 26, 2002

John Diefenbaker is a madman who thinks he's John Diefenbaker.
Pillbug

Wheany posted:

majority

yeah thats p reasonable, after you upgrade to bcrypt there isnt much you can do to the old passwords* and you update users passwords to the newer hasher/params after they log in next, if a user hasnt used the service since you updated the password hashing you will probably have the password stored in the old format still

*without doing something super hacky like if all you have in the database is old_sha1_method(password), update everything and store bcrypt(old_sha1_method(password)) under a separate format like https://docs.djangoproject.com/en/2.0/topics/auth/passwords/#password-upgrading-without-requiring-a-login and this can be enough of a pain that "let it work itself out for any active users" is a reasonable choice, not to mention the big cost of hashing everything all at once instead of as each user logs in

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

or after a while you just invalidate the weakly hashed passwords and make users reset

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
i hack my fitness every day with a snack overflow

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Lysidas posted:

*without doing something super hacky like if all you have in the database is old_sha1_method(password), update everything and store bcrypt(old_sha1_method(password)) under a separate format like https://docs.djangoproject.com/en/2.0/topics/auth/passwords/#password-upgrading-without-requiring-a-login and this can be enough of a pain that "let it work itself out for any active users" is a reasonable choice, not to mention the big cost of hashing everything all at once instead of as each user logs in

doesn't facebook use the that but over every password hashing method they've ever used and also involving HSMs?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Cocoa Crispies posted:

doesn't facebook use the that but over every password hashing method they've ever used and also involving HSMs?

basically

https://youtu.be/7dPRFoKteIU

Jimmy Carter
Nov 3, 2005

THIS MOTHERDUCKER
FLIES IN STYLE
oh cool Charles Proxy now available for iOS time to see who is abusing background app refresh

https://twitter.com/lukas_kollmer/status/978911283675324417

Dylan16807
May 12, 2010

Lysidas posted:

super hacky? if you have 50 lines of code to manage multiple password hashes and migrate, it's like five more to do it the secure way. requiring a login to convert an account to secure is the unreasonable method

Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We
set myself and a couple of my Apple-using partners up with S/MIME personal certs from comodo for encrypted email, very nice & easy

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Dylan16807 posted:

super hacky? if you have 50 lines of code to manage multiple password hashes and migrate, it's like five more to do it the secure way. requiring a login to convert an account to secure is the unreasonable method

remember that time mtg. ox lost their database to sqli and then some enterprising bitcoiners realized they could make more dosh mining salted-fast-hashed passwords instead of cybercoins?

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Jimmy Carter posted:

oh cool Charles Proxy now available for iOS time to see who is abusing background app refresh

https://twitter.com/lukas_kollmer/status/978911283675324417
im the shock that a stargazing app would need to know your location

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
also shocked that ios is contacting apple servers

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

anthonypants posted:

when it's not open?

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

anthonypants posted:

There's no reason it needs to send your information off to the servers when not in use.

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

if its granted background access its not super surprising, though the value of knowing exactly where to map the stars on opening is a bit silly for most users since it isnt like most people are rushing to raise their phone faster than a gps lock

id chalk it up to lazy programming before anything else but ios also supports disabling location access when closed now specifically to handle this

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Subjunctive posted:

when it's not open?

EVGA Longoria posted:

There's no reason it needs to send your information off to the servers when not in use.
so turn the location setting from "Always" to "While Using the App". that's what that's setting's for. or maybe you've got it set to Always so that the app will load quicker, like you would with maps. maybe you're confused about why you think it needs to talk to a server, because you think the images of the sky are hosted in the app and not on some guy's server somewhere.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe

ate all the Oreos posted:

don't worry they've separated the avionics from the entertainment system by a very secure-looking firewall graphic

nah they don't even do that anymiore

https://www.gao.gov/assets/670/669627.pdf#page=23

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

anthonypants posted:

so turn the location setting from "Always" to "While Using the App". that's what that's setting's for. or maybe you've got it set to Always so that the app will load quicker, like you would with maps. maybe you're confused about why you think it needs to talk to a server, because you think the images of the sky are hosted in the app and not on some guy's server somewhere.

cool job being dense about the privacy implications of apps constantly sending your gps location when not in use

also cool job not realizing that they did that for years before iOS forced the "only when using app" as an option

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

EVGA Longoria posted:

cool job being dense about the privacy implications of apps constantly sending your gps location when not in use

also cool job not realizing that they did that for years before iOS forced the "only when using app" as an option
it's a stargazing app, it's supposed to know your location. this is not a security fuckup.

it's sending data to a central server, because, like siri or like 90% of the non-game apps on your mobile phone, that's where the data processing happens. this is not a security fuckup.

if you don't want it to do that while the app isn't open, there are settings to tell it to not do that while the app isn't open. this is not a security fuckup.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

if only phones had some sort of, say, positioning system, which it could use when you actually open the app, instead of requiring it to constantly phone home to ask where it is so it doesn't get lost

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

far more interesting than “makes a connection” would be the content of the data to and fro. That’s your real sec fuckup goldmine

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Trabisnikof posted:

far more interesting than “makes a connection” would be the content of the data to and fro. That’s your real sec fuckup goldmine

in the twitter thread he posts a screenshot of the stargazing app request, though he didn't include the response. the request looks like it's just lat/lon, app version and some flags

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

in the twitter thread he posts a screenshot of the stargazing app request, though he didn't include the response. the request looks like it's just lat/lon, app version and some flags

"just"

ohgodwhat
Aug 6, 2005

Hmm, I wonder what interesting data you could get from "just" constant updates of lat/long coordinates of peoples' phones. Perhaps someone could even make a heatmap of them and make it public?

Also lol at the idea that instead of just defaulting to a more private setting, every user now just has to make sure that generic app #182 isn't phoning home constantly. Granny doesn't want Bejeweled to know about the doctor she visits? Too bad she didn't know about some random permissions somewhere.

ohgodwhat fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Mar 30, 2018

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Pinging user locations every few minutes back to the server in the background all the time seems bad to me for a star gazing app. geofence those requests or something at least

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

ohgodwhat posted:

Hmm, I wonder what interesting data you could get from "just" constant updates of lat/long coordinates of peoples' phones. Perhaps someone could even make a heatmap of them and make it public?

Also lol at the idea that instead of just defaulting to a more private setting, every user now just has to make sure that generic app #182 isn't phoning home constantly. Granny doesn't want Bejeweled to know about the doctor she visits? Too bad she didn't know about some random permissions somewhere.
what do you tell someone who wants to use a stargazing app on their phone but is too paranoid to let that app access "just" their location

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

EVGA Longoria posted:

sure there is: location based events

hey user neat things are happening above you so maybe consider inclining your head within the next few minutes

granted that's gonna be somewhat rare but there's your reason

ohgodwhat
Aug 6, 2005

I don't know why you're struggling with the idea that maybe the default shouldn't be for apps to be able to send whatever they can back to 3rd party servers 24/7.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

anthonypants posted:

maybe it should only request your location when you're using it by default, instead of the user needing to go out of their way to opt out of them constantly feeding your day to day movements back to them for analytics or whatever

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

ohgodwhat posted:

I don't know why you're struggling with the idea that maybe the default shouldn't be for apps to be able to send whatever they can back to 3rd party servers 24/7.

but there's an option to not allow it if you dig around in the settings so it's your fault if you let this happen to you, grandma!

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
ios will ask you before the first time the app is allowed to access your location. I don't remember the exact wording of this dialog but maybe it doesn't make clear that you're consenting to location access for all time after that. it's not like android where you have to give permission as a condition of downloading it

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

also i think the general public probably doesn't realize that "allow this app to access your location" and "allow this app to run in the background" translates to "allow this app to take your location and send it to our servers, while running in the background, which we will be doing 24/7 from now on" but i'm not really sure how to solve that problem.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

haveblue posted:

ios will ask you before the first time the app is allowed to access your location. I don't remember the exact wording of this dialog but maybe it doesn't make clear that you're consenting to location access for all time after that. it's not like android where you have to give permission as a condition of downloading it

yeah you get a differently-worded version of this for background access:

and later you'll also get this:

apps get to specify the smaller text, the os controls the big headline

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

also i think the general public probably doesn't realize that "allow this app to access your location" and "allow this app to run in the background" translates to "allow this app to take your location and send it to our servers, while running in the background, which we will be doing 24/7 from now on" but i'm not really sure how to solve that problem.

turns out the whole concept of exposing permissions to the end user and making them figure out what their apps need to be able to access or not was a terrible idea

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

the implications of this email I just received aren't concerning at all

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Main Paineframe posted:

turns out the whole concept of exposing permissions to the end user and making them figure out what their apps need to be able to access or not was a terrible idea

we should just allow apps to do whatever they want without question

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

pseudorandom name posted:

we should just allow apps to do whatever they want without question

or better yet we shouldn't allow apps to do anything at all ever

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

ohgodwhat posted:

yeah weird

Cocoa Crispies posted:

yeah you get a differently-worded version of this for background access:

and later you'll also get this:

apps get to specify the smaller text, the os controls the big headline
did the pictures help explain why this isn't a security fuckup

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Optimus_Rhyme
Apr 15, 2007

are you that mainframe hacker guy?