Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is YISUN?
Mother
A lie we tell ourselves to have a purpose
Bliss
A paradox with no solution
Father
A strong female protagonist
The weakest thing there is and the smallest crawling thing
Creator
Everything in this miserable and hellish existence
A solution with no paradoxes
View Results

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

SlimGoodbody posted:

Unpopular, correct opinion: Layla Brimstone is alive, Layla Brimstone has always been alive, Layla Brimstone will always be alive. :colbert:

Every time there's a pursuer fight, Layla ends up obviously dead and then just turns up again at the next one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Layla Brimstone is not a person, but a title. Every time she dies, one of her guns rises up to take up her mantle.

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm
Can someone please remind me who the hell all of these people are and why they're chasing Allison?

Gaj
Apr 30, 2006
She has a God-Key in her forehead, and is (was to them) an otherwise a dumb, weak girl. So grabbing her and splitting her head open like a Kinder Egg gives you demigure powers.

What they dont know is that she will likely Kinder Egg their skulls, and laugh as she feasts on their sorrow.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

MikeJF posted:

Every time there's a pursuer fight, Layla ends up obviously dead and then just turns up again at the next one.

Each time Layla dies, a backup clone is sent by Friend Computer through a Ballistic Sub-Orbital Clone Replacement Missile.

Polaron posted:

Can someone please remind me who the hell all of these people are and why they're chasing Allison?

They are the Pursuers. This should answer both questions.

But basically they're the biggest non-Demiurge badasses around, and they think they've got a pretty good chance to claim Allison's key for themselves. They travel in pack, unleashing chaos as they try to get close to Allison, and when they do get close they start to fight each other because only one can claim the key of kings, unleashing even more chaos. During which Allison gets away, so they stop fighting and resume pursuit.

voting third party
Sep 5, 2006
~

Polaron posted:

They're guild mercenaries/the pursuers. They first showed up at the brothel in book one and started killing each other over the key, then stopped long enough to pursue her to Mottom's palace in book two. I think only Maya, Layla Brimstone, and Eris-Lo Kai were actually named in comic and have had dialogue.

Malpais Legate
Oct 1, 2014

A lot of them are fan-designed characters, aren't they? Like I'm pretty sure Layla and INGSVLD are.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
wasn't it a goon who made ingsvld?

also some of these guys prob don't care about the key and just want the bounties like 2000x the weight of her head in black glass

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Yea, I am pretty sure Ingsvald's creator posts here, and also I think the creator of the dude with one arm and a hammer? IIRC those two characters have some sort of pre-existing beef.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
Wonder how many of the Devils that joined the heist will end up being part of the eternal punch-up.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Cat Mattress posted:

But basically they're the biggest non-Demiurge badasses around

Except for Auntie Maya, who is essentially an ex-demiurge and might have been leader of the Middle Army* before Incubus? I'm not entirely clear on this point beyond the fact that she used to rule a handful of universes.

*or whatever they're called, the dudes with 中 on the back of their coats

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Kai Tave posted:

I like the jaunty sprig of holly on the stock of Layla's gun, it's very festive.

Real talk: if she's on the hunt for immortals, that should be a sprig of mistletoe.

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.
I loving love the pursuers as a narrative construct because whenever the story or arc gets even a little too comfortable there's an easy out with THAN A GIANT GOLDEN BABY BURSTS THROUGH THE WALL. I mean in any other story we'd have to make peace with 0000000001 and grandpa dragon but nah gently caress that, we got the info we need and now the second we have it a city falls through the roof, a city filled with BAD GUYS and ENEMIES

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

"Someone kicks in the door" is a tried-and-true narrative construct, in general. It's even part of the general advice to dungeon masters going back several editions of D&D. Not sure how far back, but it's been in there for decades.

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.

ConfusedUs posted:

"Someone kicks in the door" is a tried-and-true narrative construct, in general. It's even part of the general advice to dungeon masters going back several editions of D&D. Not sure how far back, but it's been in there for decades.

Yeah but when its the golden baby you know why they're kicking in the door and how imminent the kicking in of faces is, no questions asked nor necessary.

hey girl you up
May 21, 2001

Forum Nice Guy

Pureauthor posted:

00001 is gonna be so loving pissed off by the end of this arc.

gotta replenish the ranks of the pursuers somehow

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?

SniperWoreConverse posted:

wasn't it a goon who made ingsvld?

also some of these guys prob don't care about the key and just want the bounties like 2000x the weight of her head in black glass

That'd be me, yes. For a given value of 'made Ingsvld', but he was my fan submission (The name first came up early when the text below the comic was a fancy way of saying which reader suggestions were picked for story direction--I said that they were going to meet Preem Nand to find out more about the key (We did not, at that point, know exactly what 'Preem' meant, and Nand hadn't been mentioned at all), so "The Lord of Hats" became "INGSVLD, Master of Helms and Arms". And then the character submissions came up, so I threw that back in there--my actual description was a lot closer to one of the Eidolons, actually, but he's much better as-is).

But yeah, it's all about the promise of power and riches that they're all chasing after that key. Of course, as time goes on I imagine there's going to be a certain level of operational drift, and it's going to turn into "we follow her and then have gigantic fights whenever we catch up because that's just what we do"

The Lord of Hats fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Mar 30, 2018

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

The Pursuers are, to quote the author, "a bunch of rowdy, dirty fight boys, looking for a good punch up".

darthbob88
Oct 13, 2011

YOSPOS

ConfusedUs posted:

Dates back at least as far as Raymond Chandler in 1950, and I wouldn't be surprised if Shakespeare had "If the plot's getting slow, send in a bear" carved into the wall above his desk.

Terrifying Effigies
Oct 22, 2008

Problems look mighty small from 150 miles up.

darthbob88 posted:

Dates back at least as far as Raymond Chandler in 1950, and I wouldn't be surprised if Shakespeare had "If the plot's getting slow, send in a bear" carved into the wall above his desk.

With Shakespeare it's definitely "throw in a fart joke", autographed by Chaucer.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

darthbob88 posted:

That's how I detective in roleplaying games: start asking questions until someone tries to beat me up or kill me. That means I'm on the right track.

D.Ork Bimboolean
Aug 26, 2016

https://twitter.com/Orbitaldropkick/status/979946344621232128

Dragopocalypse or Old Yeller?

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

:getin:

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

Grandpa dog :( :( :(

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
'Uncouth ruffian'.

Beautiful

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Oh no, Mottom's gonna go Old Yeller on him. :ohdear:

Edit: I just realized. Wasn't Mottom turning old in a matter of hours before? Does she still have a leftover stockpile of fruit, or is she finally holding her youth up with the power of royalty?

girl dick energy fucked around with this message at 06:37 on Mar 31, 2018

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
I like how you could walk around behind the hole where they busted in

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

I know that there's basically no support for it in the text but I really like the idea that Mottom is back to being young because she's finally no longer afraid and is just running on pure unbridled turbofury. Just so indescribably loving mad at this shithead barista that she's forgotten to age.

NachtSieger
Apr 10, 2013

Babysitter Super Sleuth posted:

I know that there's basically no support for it in the text but I really like the idea that Mottom is back to being young because she's finally no longer afraid and is just running on pure unbridled turbofury. Just so indescribably loving mad at this shithead barista that she's forgotten to age.

this too is royalty

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

:hf:

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
murders mottom w anger management classes

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

:allears:

So what metal song started playing in your head? Or anime soundtrack for the more DBZ-inclined.

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

D.Ork Bimboolean posted:

Dragopocalypse or Old Yeller?

The title of this page is "Annihilation of the Tower".

Mammon's word is "Tower".

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
The tower doesn't necessarily literally refer to Mammon himself though: if you read the story of the tower under one of the pages near his introduction, the tower is the mental and physical wall he's built up around himself to keep the outside world at bay.

As of this page, that wall has literally been annihilated.

ConanTheLibrarian
Aug 13, 2004

dis buch is late
Fallen Rib

She was already older looking at the end of book two than now. Someone mentioned earlier in the thread that the fruit was just an indirect step in what was basically vampirism. Mottom had a city full of people she could harvest to keep herself going until now.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

yo

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Too angry to remember shes supposed to be old.

Also there's hella support for it in the text, seeing as how Allison grew and ungrew horns and changed skin colors through emotion.
A thing with this world is that if you act without thought, throw away all reason and limits out the window and just become a pure incarnation of that act the world will bend over itself for you.

Rigged Death Trap fucked around with this message at 13:09 on Mar 31, 2018

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

Renaissance Robot posted:

The tower doesn't necessarily literally refer to Mammon himself though: if you read the story of the tower under one of the pages near his introduction, the tower is the mental and physical wall he's built up around himself to keep the outside world at bay.

As of this page, that wall has literally been annihilated.

Hedging my bets on this because the alternative is sad while Mammon becoming the Grand Dragon once again is metal

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

Rigged Death Trap posted:

yo

Also there's hella support for it in the text, seeing as how Allison grew and ungrew horns and changed skin colors through emotion.
A thing with this world is that if you act without thought, throw away all reason and limits out the window and just become a pure incarnation of that act the world will bend over itself for you.

I mean I'm fairly sure Allison grew horns bc of the Blue Devil liquor

Do you mean Cio?

Aumanor
Nov 9, 2012

Honestly, I think it's more probable that she simply has a stockpile. Note that her servants here were gathering the fruits into baskets, it's only logical she has at least some stashed away. Except now that stash is very, very finite and since she can't make more of them anymore, she can literally count the days she has left.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhaka
Feb 15, 2008

Practice knighthood and learn
the art that dignifies you

MonsieurChoc posted:

:allears:

So what metal song started playing in your head? Or anime soundtrack for the more DBZ-inclined.

The Lufia II Sinistral battle theme worked wonders for me during the War of the Teacups/Mottom, and will again.