Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️
I wanna know who the gently caress is forever hodling butts at $8k/butts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

hello :)

Palladium posted:

I wanna know who the gently caress is forever hodling butts at $8k/butts.

Yeah I dont know, I'm sitting on a growing pile of BTC just waiting. Trading volume is also very low which isn't great when the price is "low". One thing for sure is most of the steam is gone for the time being.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
lmao all the Ethereum miners on Reddit are super in denial about ASICs

"it's probably just a fancy GPU rig!"

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Paul MaudDib posted:

Every post you make on this subject makes me want to just post :dong:

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Paul MaudDib posted:

This sounds amazing

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

I’m down for some choice quotes

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

Comfy Fleece Sweater posted:

I’m down for some choice quotes

Here's a fun one, but I think it's bargaining, rather than denial:
Would you support a hard fork that obsceletes ETH ASICs?

This guy's still stuck in anger, though (or just stupidity)

CryptoBlockchainTech posted:

You have little understanding the way BitMain works. They use ASICs to mine coins long before they release them to the public.

Take a look at the ETH difficulty chart over the last few months when it has been impossible to buy GPUs. Answer where all that hash power has come from? Bingo BitMain.

Now take a look at the ETH/BTC chart and notice ETH price two months ago was at .123BTC and is now at .056 down over 50% in two months. Where did all that ETH selling pressure come from (and no it was not all EOS). Bingo Bitmain.

I love how every goddam libertarian loves freedom until they suddenly stop winning. Then it just isn't fun anymore and they need their special protections.

Stickman fucked around with this message at 07:37 on Mar 29, 2018

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Paul MaudDib posted:

o hear me ayn rand, please let this just be a momentary spike in computing power and not a long-term trend

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Stickman posted:

I love how every goddam libertarian loves freedom until they suddenly stop winning. Then it just isn't fun anymore and they need their special protections.

Bioshock is extremely on-point about this aspect of libertarians

Alpha Mayo
Jan 15, 2007
hi how are you?
there was this racist piece of shit in your av so I fixed it
you're welcome
pay it forward~

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

Stickman posted:

The implied notion of any fairness in crypto is as valid as a school of piranhas talking about ethics while they eat other alive.

And woot, my 1070 breaks the $1/day barrier...downwards.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Paul MaudDib posted:

Bioshock is extremely on-point about this aspect of libertarians

It's just the nature of people at large to be honest.

unknown
Nov 16, 2002
Ain't got no stinking title yet!

Wow, some guys I know just spun up a new 18 GPU mining rig today.

Got to have spent like $10k on it at least. The majority was a cash kijiji type deal for the video cards from some guy getting out who must be celebrating.

Fortunately they "don't have to pay for power" as it's included in someone's lease. After getting it all started up with (I think) nicehash, they were proclaiming that they were making $11/day.

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

unknown posted:

Got to have spent like $10k on it at least. The majority was a cash kijiji type deal for the video cards from some guy getting out who must be celebrating.

Fortunately they "don't have to pay for power" as it's included in someone's lease. After getting it all started up with (I think) nicehash, they were proclaiming that they were making $11/day.

lol someone is going to have their head by the next power bill

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord
Only 900+ days to break even :downs:

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

unknown posted:

11 per day NOW, but in the future this man is mining 10,000 dollars per day!!!

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

unknown posted:

Whoever pays that hydro bill will definitely not be very happy with the increase come next month. I predict an eviction is likely in the near future. And BTC will hit $1 and I'l buy some.

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

Did they not check profit calculators? Lol. But drat $0.61 a day without considering power usage on EIGHTEEN gpus? Paying for power or not that should trip some mental flags. There is zero indication things will get better, and despite supply problems we are also on the verge of another Nvidia generation at some point here...

Out of all the silly things I've seen in this thread that is actually one of the worst decisions I've seen yet.

Cinara
Jul 15, 2007
Tons of models of GPUs are no longer profitable unless you have cheap power, and even then at .1/kwh a bunch of cards are making like .1-.3 usd per day. Even a 1080ti is barely netting over $1 usd per day after power cost, 700 day payoff rate nothing could go wrong there. I am glad there's always this thread to fall back on as a small island of sanity in the stupid world of mining.

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Semantically, "you" is both singular and plural, though syntactically it is always plural. It always takes a verb form that originally marked the word as plural.

Also, there is no plural when the context is an argument with an individual rather than a group. Somfin shouldn't put words in my mouth.
Hey, tell that dude I’ll sell him EVGA 1070s (FTW and SC2) still under warranty for MSRP. Why stop at 18 GPUs? To the MOOOOOOOON

E: current MSRP :smuggo:

unknown
Nov 16, 2002
Ain't got no stinking title yet!

Off bad memory, it's like 3x 1000w power supplies feeding I believe like 10x 1070Tis, 8x RX580s off I think that Asus B250 "mining expert" board mounted in something like this: https://www.amazon.com/Aluminum-Stackable-Cryptocurrency-Ethereum-Black-Green/dp/B0777HMTSK

I'm not into mining, so the parts might (probably) be wrong - I'll try to get the full specs of the rig.

Best thing so far was the guy going: "figured out why the system was crashing - there's not enough memory. But I fixed that by just increasing the swap size in windows". :eng99:

Alpha Mayo
Jan 15, 2007
hi how are you?
you're welcome
pay it forward~

unknown posted:

Off bad memory, it's like 3x 1000w power supplies feeding I believe like 10x 1070Tis, 8x RX580s off I think that Asus B250 "mining expert" board mounted in something like this: https://www.amazon.com/Aluminum-Stackable-Cryptocurrency-Ethereum-Black-Green/dp/B0777HMTSK

I'm not into mining, so the parts might (probably) be wrong - I'll try to get the full specs of the rig.

Best thing so far was the guy going: "figured out why the system was crashing - there's not enough memory. But I fixed that by just increasing the swap size in windows". :eng99:

How much is the electric rate? Hope the landlord likes power bill suddenly increasing by $300+ to subsidize their idiocy

Twinty Zuleps
May 10, 2008

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy
I've been enjoying the price halving and the difficulty doubling on ETH since the Mine4Erfworld thing started

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Semantically, "you" is both singular and plural, though syntactically it is always plural. It always takes a verb form that originally marked the word as plural.

Also, there is no plural when the context is an argument with an individual rather than a group. Somfin shouldn't put words in my mouth.

unknown posted:

Jesus Christ, 1070 Tis are like <5% better than a 1070 at mining, have worse perf/watt and have worse ROI time.

Combined with their poor timing, that’s an amazingly bad decision all around.

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

unknown posted:

:mad:

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Like goddamn man, if you’re gonna spend that kind of money at least get what’s going to be the best (for the next couple months). Hope your buddy is okay with taking a big loss when he sells those cards after making $10 a day.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Dropping $10k on GPUs right as the next generation of GPUs is about to come out lol

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

tehinternet posted:

Like goddamn man, if you’re gonna spend that kind of money at least get what’s going to be the best (for the next couple months). Hope your buddy is okay with taking a big loss when he sells those cards after making $10 a day.

Yeah, let me know when he ends up selling those 1070s.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness
He won't; he will hodl them forever!

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The product of hundreds of hours of scientific investigation and research.

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry
After the electrical fire, I am sure that "rig" is sure going to be great. I'm sure someone who just dropped 10k for "free money" is going to drop more money and energy to make sure they aren't overheating till melting.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️
$7000/butt barrier just got broken

Its the perfect time to buy in and hodl laddies to rub it into currency debasing gubments, while discussing how to do a pump-dump fork into a new coin when existing ones aren't working to your advantage because who needs regulations

Palladium fucked around with this message at 13:41 on Mar 30, 2018

Setset
Apr 14, 2012
Grimey Drawer
And so it begins..

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

1gnoirents posted:

Did they not check profit calculators? Lol. But drat $0.61 a day without considering power usage on EIGHTEEN gpus? Paying for power or not that should trip some mental flags. There is zero indication things will get better, and despite supply problems we are also on the verge of another Nvidia generation at some point here...

Out of all the silly things I've seen in this thread that is actually one of the worst decisions I've seen yet.

I assuming that's 18 x 1080 Tis, which VERY conservatively draws at least 3600W and that is already overloading a 230V circuit that is only rated at 13A max.

Boy, that's gonna be really fun on a 110V circuit.

Palladium fucked around with this message at 14:55 on Mar 30, 2018

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The product of hundreds of hours of scientific investigation and research.

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry
Don't worry they hooked it up to a cheap generator they bought on line. Gas is cheap , Bitcoins pricey.

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!
https://twitter.com/ButtCoin/status/979743693023322112

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

And yet difficulty is not going down at all, in fact still expected to increase... wtf?

https://data.bitcoinity.org/bitcoin/difficulty/5y?t=l

Running at a loss because of their great belief in the power of bitcoin, surely

Alpha Mayo
Jan 15, 2007
hi how are you?
you're welcome
pay it forward~
Most Chinese mining operations are ran out of their mom's basement. She pays the power bill so what they mine is basically all profit.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Lube banjo posted:

And so it begins..

let me know when cards people actually want are being sold at below msrp. None of those prices are anywhere near saying "it begins"

FAKE NEWS

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

Its been it beginsings. There is no new supply though, so the used market is still above msrp.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

1gnoirents posted:

Its been it beginsings. There is no new supply though, so the used market is still above msrp.

You should get that Bitcoin heatstroke checked out...

• Locked thread