Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

HUGE PUBES A PLUS posted:

How do you phrase something like that in a real estate listing? "Yes, I'm interested in an X bedroom, X bath home with a security system and tactical Russian assassin proofing throughout."

Mostly asking for places with high walls and a gate, or the possibility of building that, with security systems being a bonus. My other problem is explaining my job to mortgage providers without it sounding like I have some form of mental illness. That more a general person when explaining my work to anyone who doesn't already know about it, especially if they don't work in a relevant sector of employment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Vacuum sealable housing only.

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend

Brown Moses posted:

Mostly asking for places with high walls and a gate, or the possibility of building that, with security systems being a bonus. My other problem is explaining my job to mortgage providers without it sounding like I have some form of mental illness. That more a general person when explaining my work to anyone who doesn't already know about it, especially if they don't work in a relevant sector of employment.

Didn't you end up lecturing at universities on occasion? Maybe start with that?

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Putin's new ICBM is primarily for dickwaving I take it?

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

Tevery Best posted:

Didn't you end up lecturing at universities on occasion? Maybe start with that?

Then they ask me what I lecture on. Usually I just go with journalist and hope that puts them off.

Xerxes17
Feb 17, 2011

Grouchio posted:

Hi MbS, how's Saudi Arabia doing?

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Xerxes17 posted:

Hi MbS, how's Saudi Arabia doing?
You've got the wrong shithead pal.

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

I read something about Novichok leaving gnarly permanent damage so this is a bit of a pleasant surprise unless they're vastly overselling the state of affairs with "improving rapidly"

Elukka
Feb 18, 2011

For All Mankind

Grouchio posted:

This is all just speculation based on my understanding of nuclear strategy, so take it with a grain of salt:
I think it's both dickwaving and a response to worries about US missile defense, which seems currently considered with small-scale threats like NK, but they haven't really made it clear that they would restrict it to this and there's no guarantee they won't expand it. This will force other nuclear powers to improve and expand their arsenal, or develop defenses of their own, or they risk a situation in the future where their opponent can win a nuclear war. Weapons are also a sort of safe way to rattle some sabers since weapons (unlike defenses) don't actually change the status quo or force any sort of reponse from others, since the status quo is MAD, and you don't get bonus points for destroying your enemy 110% while they destroy you 100%. Weapons still sound scarier though so they're superior for dickwaving purposes.

HorrificExistence
Jun 25, 2017

by Athanatos

Grouchio posted:

It's so loving stupid is what it is. My god, an ICBM that can dodge ABMs with computers. The Americans have never thought about this! It's the classic Russian strategy of making something stupid and then telling everybody. In the US they make something stupid and don't tell anybody. That's the main difference.

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

It'll make sense, eventually.
Meanwhile, in Poland.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

HorrificExistence posted:

It's so loving stupid is what it is. My god, an ICBM that can dodge ABMs with computers. The Americans have never thought about this! It's the classic Russian strategy of making something stupid and then telling everybody. In the US they make something stupid and don't tell anybody. That's the main difference.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6LjKfs7MjYE

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

lol yes they do, the entire arms race is who can market their useless overpriced military tech better.

HorrificExistence
Jun 25, 2017

by Athanatos

Truga posted:

lol yes they do, the entire arms race is who can market their useless overpriced military tech better.

yeah, but when america makes rail guns and poo poo they release 1 slow motion video, not an cg cutscene of the railgun punching holes in the admiral Kusnetsov

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

Grouchio posted:

I figured it was to increase turnout in the election he was about to win.

I am the jacket that robot is wearing.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

yeah, but when america makes rail guns and poo poo they release 1 slow motion video, not an cg cutscene of the railgun punching holes in the admiral Kusnetsov

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1oyCzT6sB_4
:colbert:

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

Brown Moses posted:

The US has plenty of real estate that relatively cheap and no one bats an eye if tell em you want to move into a bunker. :v:

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Back Hack posted:

The US has plenty of real estate that relatively cheap and no one bats an eye if tell em you want to move into a bunker. :v:
You can also literally buy a decomissioned missile silo specifically hardened against nuclear attack:

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

mobby_6kl posted:

You can also literally buy a decomissioned missile silo specifically hardened against nuclear attack:

Yeah the problem for him is the internet access is usually real bad out at them, unless you have a lot to spend on cajoling a fiber line installation from dozens of miles away.

HUGE PUBES A PLUS
Apr 30, 2005

https://twitter.com/bellingcat/status/980777892111110144

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Of course Jew-berg, but of course.

the heat goes wrong
Dec 31, 2005
I´m watching you...
Good news everyone.
Skripal poisoning has been solved. According to Sergei Lavrov, it was done by British intelligence services. Why did the British government execute Sergei Skripal, you ask? Obviously it was done in order to drive away attention from the Brexit negotiations. :downs:

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Wait. Americans are making fake news for Russians now? Don't they know the market is already saturated?

bearic
Apr 14, 2004

john brown split this heart

Paladinus posted:

Wait. Americans are making fake news for Russians now? Don't they know the market is already saturated?
Some Russians helped too! Ilya Ponomarev, the sketchy Duma rep who fled the country after Krymnash/etc, had a pretty big part as well.

Big Hubris
Mar 8, 2011

the heat goes wrong posted:

Good news everyone.
Skripal poisoning has been solved. According to Sergei Lavrov, it was done by British intelligence services. Why did the British government execute Sergei Skripal, you ask? Obviously it was done in order to drive away attention from the Brexit negotiations. :downs:

Wouldn't put it past May to do so but the idea she wouldn't get caught on mic is preposterous.

HUGE PUBES A PLUS
Apr 30, 2005

Xerxes17
Feb 17, 2011

It seems that the ruble is crapping itself against the Euro again?

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Yeah, Americans put up new sanctions, and Russia stocks took the worst dive since 2014.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2018-04-09/russian-stocks-sink-most-in-2-years-on-sanctions-syria-tensions

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

https://twitter.com/christogrozev/status/984115190919847937?s=19

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

https://www.theguardian.com/inequality/2018/apr/11/eu-moves-ban-sale-lower-quality-branded-food-eastern-europe Holy poo poo, it's actually happening. :eyepop:

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

huh

I had this vague suspicion when I was in Poland but just assumed that the general grim humor of the locals had rubbed off

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

cinci zoo sniper posted:

Of course Jew-berg, but of course.

I am oddly disappointed and irritated by this.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

GreyjoyBastard posted:

huh

I had this vague suspicion when I was in Poland but just assumed that the general grim humor of the locals had rubbed off

Nah, the contrast is absolutely absurd if you grow up here and then move elsewhere. Even in blatant details, like the consistency of sausage with 80% meat content.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

My wife is off to visit her family in Ukraine and their top demands for presents are:
Decent quality olive oil
Decent quality honey
Decent quality chocolate

Apparently these things are nearly impossible to find in Ukraine, which seems crazy. It might be linked to the above because almost all the "high end" products in Ukraine are imported from Poland. I just can't believe in a country that's such an agriculturally rich land like Ukraine, and has been famous for its honey production for centuries, they can't even get good honey. It's never been great, but they say in the last few years quality of everything has dropped. Even the small upper middle class can't get quality stuff locally, there's just no products to buy. The wealthy all go abroad and buy their non-garbage quality items to bring home.

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009
Hates Native American people and tries to justify their genocides.

Put this racist on ignore immediately!

Baronjutter posted:

I just can't believe in a country that's such an agriculturally rich land like Ukraine, and has been famous for its honey production for centuries, they can't even get good honey. It's never been great, but they say in the last few years quality of everything has dropped. Even the small upper middle class can't get quality stuff locally, there's just no products to buy. The wealthy all go abroad and buy their non-garbage quality items to bring home.
That's really weird; honey bees require very little labor or capital to raise. I'd have expecteed local production to ramp up.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Gobbeldygook posted:

That's really weird; honey bees require very little labor or capital to raise. I'd have expecteed local production to ramp up.

I gather the local producers have been selling their best out of country and possibly diluting or otherwise stretching the rest.

HUGE PUBES A PLUS
Apr 30, 2005

Baronjutter posted:

My wife is off to visit her family in Ukraine and their top demands for presents are:
Decent quality olive oil
Decent quality honey
Decent quality chocolate

Apparently these things are nearly impossible to find in Ukraine, which seems crazy. It might be linked to the above because almost all the "high end" products in Ukraine are imported from Poland. I just can't believe in a country that's such an agriculturally rich land like Ukraine, and has been famous for its honey production for centuries, they can't even get good honey. It's never been great, but they say in the last few years quality of everything has dropped. Even the small upper middle class can't get quality stuff locally, there's just no products to buy. The wealthy all go abroad and buy their non-garbage quality items to bring home.

Isn't the president of Ukraine a billionaire because of his chocolate business?

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

HUGE PUBES A PLUS posted:

Isn't the president of Ukraine a billionaire because of his chocolate business?

Yes, and Roshen chocolate is actually good. Plus you can buy pretty much any European brand if you live in a bigger city.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Paladinus posted:

Yes, and Roshen chocolate is actually good. Plus you can buy pretty much any European brand if you live in a bigger city.

They're like a few blocks away from Maidan square so I have no idea why they can't find honey, chocolate, or olive oil.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Baronjutter posted:

They're like a few blocks away from Maidan square so I have no idea why they can't find honey, chocolate, or olive oil.

I guess it's something inherited from the Soviet past, and people still think that good thing only exist West of border. At airport duty frees you can see plenty of Russia speaking tourists buying copious amounts of alcohol, even though the same stuff is available in the supermarket five minutes from their house, but maybe costs a dollar a bottle more. It's ridiculous.