Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tazjin
Jul 24, 2015

Some stupid computer website posted:

Listen to the beeping sound and write down the number of beeps before each pause, if the beeps are long or short, or if the beeps high or low in tone. Once a pattern is determined, use the following beep code table to identify which component might be causing the problem

I loving hate hardware

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ConanTheLibrarian
Aug 13, 2004

dis buch is late
Fallen Rib
look if you can think of a better way to signal problems than chinese morse code, we'd love to hear it

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

Media Bloodbath posted:

look at that Acxiom drop

:discourse:

I hope GDPR obliterates the adtech industry.

I'm sure a bunch of them will adapt :(

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

i wish i still had access to the photogrammetry software i used in college for surveying

maybe 5-6 inches above the joint between those two rows of longitudinal pavers

it’d be hard to calc for certain without knowing the height of the camera (and its pitch)

sounds like a good way to get your firm shortlisted for any FB projects

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope
https://www.theverge.com/2018/3/30/17179100/facebook-memo-leaks-boz-andrew-bosworth

quote:

Although we all subconsciously look for signal on integrity in interviews, should we consider whether this needs to be formalized in the interview process?

quote:

This is so disappointing, wonder if there is a way to hire for integrity. We are probably focusing on the intelligence part and getting smart people here who lack a moral compass and loyalty.

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

Wherein "integrity" means "loyalty at all costs"

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope

Not a Children posted:

Wherein "integrity" means "loyalty at all costs"

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an

leaking posts crying about how terrible it is that people leak posts :magical:

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison
lmao jesus christ

quote:

This is the very real cost of leaks. We had a sensitive topic that we could engage on openly and explore even bad ideas, even if just to eliminate them. If we have to live in fear that even our bad ideas will be exposed then we won’t explore them or understand them as such, we won’t clearly label them as such, we run a much greater risk of stumbling on them later. Conversations go underground or don’t happen at all. And not only are we worse off for it, so are the people who use our products.

fire facebook into the sun

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

tazjin posted:

I loving hate hardware

my man

my bike trainer cut out during a workout once and the status light was blinking red, so i went to look up what it meant:

https://www.cycleops.com/Uploads/PDF/CycleOps-Manuals/Hammer-Magnus-LED-Combinations.pdf

they tell you what the blinking light means in loving hertz

this is certainly a thing the average person will know how to figure out

lesson is, never, ever, let the engineers write the user's manual

TerminalRaptor
Nov 6, 2012

Mostly Harmless
Supposedly magic leap is finally shipping test hardware to devs under the requirement they store it in a safe.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2018-03-30/magic-leap-ships-first-set-of-devices-under-tight-security-constraints

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

uncurable mlady posted:

lmao jesus christ

they're correct

Lyon
Apr 17, 2003

Shaggar posted:

their correct

Babies Getting Rabies
Apr 21, 2007

Sugartime Jones

Shaggar posted:

there correct

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Shaggar posted:

they're correct

yes how will they ever understand bad ideas are bad when they keep getting leaked and widely denounced as bad by the populace

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice
blast from the past

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2007/feb/08/business.comment

remember when myspace looked invincible?

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

i agree with shaggar but it doesn’t absolve facebook at all. the problem is they’ve been constantly choosing the bad options- not that the discussion of them is happening

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope

Rex-Goliath posted:

i agree with shaggar but it doesn’t absolve facebook at all. the problem is they’ve been constantly choosing the bad options- not that the discussion of them is happening

oh no, what if they have been choosing the good options from the ones presented?

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

tazjin posted:

I loving hate hardware

lol

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

ate all the Oreos posted:

i love these stories that come up when yet another startup reinvents the shame cube

there's like 8 different brands of them already but nope this one came up with it and it's the future of private space!!

hell, shame

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

Just-In-Timeberlake posted:

my man

my bike trainer cut out during a workout once and the status light was blinking red, so i went to look up what it meant:

https://www.cycleops.com/Uploads/PDF/CycleOps-Manuals/Hammer-Magnus-LED-Combinations.pdf

they tell you what the blinking light means in loving hertz

this is certainly a thing the average person will know how to figure out

lesson is, never, ever, let the engineers write the user's manual

even more lol

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe

uncurable mlady posted:

lmao jesus christ

but people might leak our discussions of how we could profit from and support racism/bigotry/xenophobia :qq:

Boot and Rally
Apr 21, 2006

8===D
Nap Ghost

lancemantis posted:

but people might leak our discussions of how we could profit from and support racism/bigotry/xenophobia :qq:

*Sells conversations for money, gets mad when conversations get leaked. Possibly because no one got paid for them.*

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

uncurable mlady posted:

lmao jesus christ

fukken love that framing

yeah, I'm sure that thread was just full of employees telling a company VP that his idea was a piece of poo poo in a non-anomymous setting

like, sure, people should be able to discuss bad ideas. but that memo wasn't about ideas. it was about telling their employees that ethically dubious or even outright dangerous practices are a-OK, and people should put ethical questions aside because Facebook is an inherent good for the world

FamDav
Mar 29, 2008

quote:

How loving terrible that some irresponsible jerk decided he or she had some god complex that jeopardizes our inner culture and something that makes Facebook great?

isn't "inner culture" a term used to describe cults

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
"inner culture" = suburban immunity/affluenza

"someone leaked that I said I didn't want to live in a neighborhood with those people, and now lots of people are mad at me and won't leave me alone and won't just forget about it like I ask them to"

"apologize? why would I do anything like that, I've never done it before in my life"

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison
he also defends the post as a “straw man” which, yeah ok, there’s nothing corporate VPs love more than to make straw man arguments to their entire company in order to “start a discussion”

prisoner of waffles
May 8, 2007

Ah! well a-day! what evil looks
Had I from old and young!
Instead of the cross, the fishmech
About my neck was hung.

uncurable mlady posted:

he also defends the post as a “straw man” which, yeah ok, there’s nothing corporate VPs love more than to make straw man arguments to their entire company in order to “start a discussion”

"Even I didn't agree with my post as I was making it!!! If the employee who leaked thought it was in earnest and argued fully against it instead of leaking, I would have given them a cookie and a promotion!!!! Now, when we find him or her, they will have to endure the Punishment Cube"

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an

uncurable mlady posted:

wouldn't be entirely surprised given the prior example from Google of 'women: mentally deficient?' that apparently nobody thought to memory hole before more than a handful of people saw it

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

uncurable mlady posted:

lmao jesus christ

quote:

This is the very real cost of leaks. We had a sensitive topic that we could engage on openly and explore even bad ideas, even if just to eliminate them. If we have to live in fear that even our bad ideas will be exposed then we won’t explore them or understand them as such, we won’t clearly label them as such, we run a much greater risk of stumbling on them later. Conversations go underground or don’t happen at all. And not only are we worse off for it, so are the people who use our products.

someone tell these kids about “discovery” and how it’s virtually certain their bad ideas will not only be exposed, but portrayed by a lawyer in the most unflattering possible light in front of a jury

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

eschaton posted:

someone tell these kids about “discovery” and how it’s virtually certain their bad ideas will not only be exposed, but portrayed by a lawyer in the most unflattering possible light in front of a jury
[/quote]

it is impressive how absolutely ignorant of discovery in legal actions is, and how wildly self-incriminating they will be if they think theyre clever

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

prisoner of waffles posted:

"Even I didn't agree with my post as I was making it!!! If the employee who leaked thought it was in earnest and argued fully against it instead of leaking, I would have given them a cookie and a promotion!!!! Now, when we find him or her, they will have to endure the Punishment Cube"

lots of people at Facebook would happily endure the Punishment Cube if it meant some respite from their open plan hell

people there construct makeshift cubicles from mobile whiteboards only to see them taken away because “hey, doesn’t look like you’re using this…”

Greatbacon
Apr 9, 2012

by Pragmatica
yeah, like rule number 2 of being in business is never write something down you wouldn't want your mom or a jury to hear

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Greatbacon posted:

yeah, like rule number 2 of being in business is never write something down you wouldn't want your mom or a jury to hear
seriously

im seeing people upset by the announcement from slack that companies will soon have greater ability to read the contents of "private" slack channels on their servers and im just baffled. dont type stuff on company systems that you dont want the company to read, thats like Being An Employee 101 level knowledge

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Boot and Rally posted:

*Sells conversations for money, gets mad when conversations get leaked. Possibly because no one got paid for them.*

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
https://twitter.com/ashleyfeinberg/status/979721747808309248

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

*hastily deletes MYCRIMES.TXT*

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

Greatbacon posted:

ive heard it as the 3 m's
media
manager
mother

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe

qirex posted:

*hastily deletes MYCRIMES.TXT*

"what's a search warrant? I did this on my personal computer you can't look at that its private!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
crimes was sadly taken but

https://s3.amazonaws.com/mycrimes/mycrimes.txt

s3 bucket names are global