Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?
What exactly is ASIC? I thought it was just a bank of graphics cards. How can ethereum be considered ASIC proof?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

It's a chip designed for a specific application. In this case, mining using that algo.

They aren't general purpose at all and can be very efficient because of it.

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

ASIC just stands for "Application-specific integrated circuit".

Basically, a circuit with the necessary mathematical and logic operations for a particular usage(3D graphics, for example. Or bitcoin mining) built as much as possible into the physical hardware, rather than more generic hardware (your computer's CPU, for example) where the complex mathematical and logical operations are done by software breaking the complex stuff into simpler parts to run through the generic hardware. So presumably Ethereum's hash guessing rules were intended to optimize the amount of math and logic that would be easily done by graphics cards, and minimize the benefit provided by bitcoin-centric ASICs, until someone was willing to invest the money in designing an Ethereum-centric ASIC.

I think.

I'm an idiot but that's my understanding of it, at least.

hailthefish fucked around with this message at 09:58 on Mar 30, 2018

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!

Dead Like Rev posted:

What if Lockheed Martins attempt to create a cold fusion device were all so they had infinite energy for Crypto?

they were beaten by the ICO promoters

the main guy is also a UFO chaser

Dave Concepcion
Mar 19, 2012
lol a literal alchemy project and it's raised closed to 600k

there really is no limit to stupidity

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

Hey, it says right there that the smart contract will pay out as soon as he transmutes trash into platinum, checkmate, nocoiners!

klafbang
Nov 18, 2009
Clapping Larry

ilmucche posted:

What exactly is ASIC? I thought it was just a bank of graphics cards. How can ethereum be considered ASIC proof?

As mentioned, ASICs are built for a specific purpose. If that purpose is simple, like computing SHA for bitcoin, you can put a lot of processors doing the same in a single circuit, instead of having a lot of generic circuitry that isn't used for the simple guessing process of bitcoin.

ASICs are specific to the computation, so each shitcoin in principle needs their own ASIC.

You can make it hard to make an efficient ASIC by requiring that the circuitry for one computation is complex. This is typically done by requiring a lot of memory for each computation in a way that cannot be shared. If your computation needs 1024 bytes of memory, you can have a million circuits in an ASIC with one GB of memory. If each computation needs 1 MB of memory, you can only have one thousand.

GPUs typically have gigabytes of memory and thousands of cores, so they are hard to beat for computations that require 1 MB (they are memory bounded), but for a simple computation like bitcoin, you are bounded by the number of cores and keep all of those GBs of memory powered for no reason.

The reason Ethereum is now getting ASICs is that you don't have to be efficient to win at butts, you just have to be less inefficient than the others (use less electricity per guess), and Ethereum is reaching the point where making ASIC might be profitable now.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

At this point when people are selling "rigs" to mine coins over just using them to mine themselves it's over.

Rip. Sell it off.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

numberoneposter posted:

At this point when people are selling "rigs" to mine coins over just using them to mine themselves it's over.

Rip. Sell it off.

Who's ready for "only used 3 months" burned out 1080ti's for sale everywhere?

junan_paalla
Dec 29, 2009

Seriously, do drugs
This ”crash” is just institutional money conspiring against my portfolio manipulating the prices down and getting in on the cheap before the inevitable new ATH, or in other words

Prepping the Bull

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

this is a better avatar than what I had before
who's ready for nvidias stock price to just absolutely crater

Stink Billyums
Jul 7, 2006

MAGNUM
I've been waiting 3 months to buy a graphics card, this poo poo needs to fall faster.

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

Buy freddie mac/fannie mae.

Double Bill
Jan 29, 2006

abigserve posted:

After reading poo poo like this: https://www.cnbc.com/2018/03/29/nvidia-ceo-jensen-huang-cryptocurrency-blockchain-are-here-to-stay.html

Yeah, burn that company to the ground.

Uranium 235
Oct 12, 2004

someone showed up at the OKEx office threatening to commit suicide by drinking a bottle of insecticide because he had a large margin position liquidated in a flash crash

https://www.newsbtc.com/2018/03/30/okex-incident-shows-responsible-trading-importance/

https://twitter.com/8bitandstuff/st...fw_site=newsbtc

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

Kobayashi posted:

Yeah that’s my biggest beef with bitcoin (or, more accurately, all proof of work variants): By outsourcing “trust” to computers, the energy consumption necessary to secure the network scales to infinity as the value increases. If all these coin assholes had their way, then you’d essentially end up with the combined computing power of the US squaring off against that of China and/or Russia, plus some conglomeratation of rear end in a top hat libertarians, all vying for control of the global economic system. Bitcoin’s success implies a dystopian future.
Food 200 Acres remaining arable land
Data 100 zettabytes public ledger
Breathable Air 100 km^3
Dyson Sphere Cryptomining 380 yottawatts
Laborers 2 million
someone who is good at the economy please help me budget this. my planet is dying

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004

abigserve posted:

There is so much pent up demand from gamers, only way I could see that happen is a double whammy of miners flooding the used market until Christmas and big shiny automobile names cancelling their partnership with Nvidia.
Even then their core markets of gaming and professional/datacenter are too strong.

VictorianQueerLit
Aug 25, 2017

If you ask a true believer though the crash from 20,000$ was just the first sell off and we are in the bear trap headed for $100,000

Dead Like Rev
Sep 6, 2010

"The dead walk among us."

Uranium 235 posted:

also there's a rumor that a big mining group found a way to make ASICs for mining ethereum, which is supposed to be ASIC-resistant. this has let them massively increase the hash power for ethereum and take a very large share of mining rewards, which they're dumping

there are a few fixes to this problem but they'll take a long time to implement for various reasons

lol

Wasn't a rumor though, the main asic supplier bit something i cant loving remember confirmed they have a working ASIC prototype for eth and are releasing it this summer~ish. I think they are even doing loving pre-orders.

Edit: Bitmain is the name of the outfit. And hilariously the Eth kool-aid drinkers (its like a loving jonestown thing) want to fork off from eth and create eth 2.0 thats "ASIC resistant" until it gets cracked by an ASIC but literally starting over again.

IPCRESS
May 27, 2012
No, but you see it's fine because the graph is actually forming a classic hyperbolic tea cozy shape.

Further, my technical analysis tells me that the price can't help but go up as soon as we find the albino sorceress that's caused this current irregularity.

WalletBeef
Jun 11, 2005

someone make this into a loss edit with bitcoin in the last panel tia

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

AEMINAL
May 22, 2015

barf barf i am a dog, barf on your carpet, barf
Lol btc is at 6000 ish again

Anyone know why??

Knight
Dec 23, 2000

SPACE-A-HOLIC
Taco Defender
Linear progression of time

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

AEMINAL posted:

Anyone know why??

It's 7000ish.

WalletBeef
Jun 11, 2005

I hope it breaks through that previous low and make a new even lower low :getin:

Double Bill
Jan 29, 2006

Waltzing Along posted:

It's 7000ish.

We always round towards the thread title here.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

divabot posted:

they were beaten by the ICO promoters

the main guy is also a UFO chaser

The philosophers stone... but with a blockchain.

Sneaky Wombat
Jan 9, 2010

So if it rounds down to 6k, is the thread title appt?

Andy Dufresne
Aug 4, 2010

The only good race pace is suicide pace, and today looks like a good day to die

Sneaky Wombat posted:

So if it rounds down to 6k, is the thread title appt?

At that point we'll set the title to 4k to further influence the price

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

The bonds of blood transcend all others.
But no blood runs stronger than that of Sanguinius
Grimey Drawer

Andy Dufresne posted:

At that point we'll set the title to 4k to further influence the price

Look, I don't think any of us wants some crazy Bitcoiner to start sending Lowtax death threats or anything because they think the goons are crashing the market. Leave well enough alone, IMO

Uranium 235
Oct 12, 2004

AEMINAL posted:

Anyone know why??
well the answer is probably something along the lines of "the rise to 20k was fueled by speculation, delusion, euphoria, greed, and fear of missing out on sick gainz... but was unsustainable"

sometime back in december, CNBC was talking about cryptocurrency every day for a week or two. people where i work (not a place prone to crypto enthusiasts) were talking about crypto. my parents were talking about it. just about everyone who would ever think of buying crypto had already heard about it and bought in, so the supply of new 'investors' was depleted and there wasn't enough new money coming in to keep the prices up.

there's also the element of manipulation, which i'm sure had a big role in the price going up so much and so fast. it's likely playing a role on the way down, too.

anecdotally, the crypto market has gotten much more difficult to trade profitably in the last month so i'm moving a lot of money out of crypto to use for other things. i know other traders who are doing the same thing--there are much better opportunities in stocks right now. so i think that has something to do with it, too

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Tether was a lot more brazen back then, too.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

Pendent posted:

Look, I don't think any of us wants some crazy Bitcoiner to start sending Lowtax death threats or anything because they think the goons are crashing the market. Leave well enough alone, IMO

Bitcoin is crashing! Sell! Sell! Sell!

Spudalicious
Dec 24, 2003

I <3 Alton Brown.
And here I thought I was making a huge mistake cashing out 1 ETH at 900 to buy stupid poo poo I didn't need. Joke's on you, coinhavers/nocoiners/someone/me.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Bitcoin is having a monthly sale. Time to buy buy buy! Because that's what you do with things that are on sale. You buy them. Even if they are useless. Can't pass up a good deal.

Andy Dufresne
Aug 4, 2010

The only good race pace is suicide pace, and today looks like a good day to die
I've made this post 3 times and someone else in the thread made it recently as well. It's really very simple math to know why the bitcoin price is dropping. What's harder to understand is why it didn't drop sooner.

12.5 BTC are created ("mined") every 10 minutes on average (more frequently when the miner arms race picks up, but I'm ignoring that). At a price of $7000 that's $12.6 million created every day. The people who are mining must trade those BTC to fiat to cover their costs, and so the only way for demand to equal supply is for $12.6 million of new money to enter the ecosystem every single day.

For all the talk you'll hear on crypto or bitcoin forums about a deflationary currency, lol, it might potentially be someday but right now we are printing mad cash. It's only deflationary if 1800 btc private keys are lost per day.

We're now more than 3 months past the point where everyone on the planet heard about bitcoin when the price spiked to $20k. Anyone who wanted to buy already did, so why did the price remain relatively stable in the 8-10k range for so long? My guess is that people who want to clean sanctioned currency in exchange for clean "crypto income" currency were happy to pay some portion of that $12.6 million per day as the vig. Here comes Ham Sandwiches to offer an alternative explanation for the price stability.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
And tether.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Double Bill
Jan 29, 2006

Uranium 235 posted:

well the answer is probably something along the lines of "the rise to 20k was fueled by speculation, delusion, euphoria, greed, and fear of missing out on sick gainz... but was unsustainable"

sometime back in december, CNBC was talking about cryptocurrency every day for a week or two. people where i work (not a place prone to crypto enthusiasts) were talking about crypto. my parents were talking about it. just about everyone who would ever think of buying crypto had already heard about it and bought in, so the supply of new 'investors' was depleted and there wasn't enough new money coming in to keep the prices up.

there's also the element of manipulation, which i'm sure had a big role in the price going up so much and so fast. it's likely playing a role on the way down, too.

anecdotally, the crypto market has gotten much more difficult to trade profitably in the last month so i'm moving a lot of money out of crypto to use for other things. i know other traders who are doing the same thing--there are much better opportunities in stocks right now. so i think that has something to do with it, too

I don't think the big sell-off has even started yet. Loads of people who bought in December are still holding on to their coins, and desperately trying to convince themselves that it's actually a long-term investment and the current price doesn't matter. As the price keeps dropping more and more people will lose their nerve, and just dump everything. Tether can't possibly keep vacuuming up all the sell orders.