Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

JIZZ DENOUEMENT posted:

I am extremely happy to hear that every tournament isn't just space marines winning over and over

Space Marines are super popular but have never been good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!

Corrode posted:

That is not what I recall from a bajillion years ago but I will trust you on this

Hra Mormo posted:

Honestly armies relying on Keyword Aeldari, Imperium or Chaos just need to get dunked on super hard in general from an armybuilding perspective that doesn't touch any of the armies used on their own. You'd have to make some concessions for the various stupid microfactions reliant on Imperium but I guess you could just do that with a special rule like ignore these models for purposes of Imperium-as-only-keyword related penalties.

Yeah I'm surprised such broad keywords are even allowed at tournaments.

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

In the grim future, there is only commerce.

Corrode posted:

Null Zone is exclusive to SM, short ranged and hard to cast, on an expensive platform. It has severe limitations.

Its an aura that doesn't suddenly stop working the second a guardsman decides to take a shot is the thing I was trying to say.

edit: on the same thought, weirdly enough I think one of the only debuff powers that specify it only works when interacting with specific units is that one Harlequin power.

Der Waffle Mous fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Mar 30, 2018

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Zuul the Cat posted:

Honestly, the DE release feels like what the entirety of 8th should have been. Lots of armies got their codex that were simply copy/pasted from their older ones (Space Marines, AdMech, Grey Knights) and while stratagems are strong and offer cool stuff, this is the first codex that's been teased that feels like how the army is depicted in the books will be how it plays on the table.

I'm sure as it moves forward and once all the armies have their codices, they'll start to tweak stuff.

My guess is that they looked at armies that were crazy good in 7thed and decided to go conservative with their 8ed codexes, since even a new edition drags a lot of Character hanger-ons with it. Tau, GK, and Marines were some of the best 7ed armies and few competitive armies that could actually be ran as armies and not, you know, "3 flyrants" or "5 daemon princes".

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
Also I've never seen a GK army that wasn't boring and tedious both visually and gamewise so their codex can sit 'n spin for all I care :colbert:

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

The bonds of blood transcend all others.
But no blood runs stronger than that of Sanguinius
Grimey Drawer
Grey Knights were considered good back in 7th? Their only viable build was to spam Dreadknights and even that seemed somewhat mediocre.

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

The only time GK were good were the days of the Mat Ward codex.

And even then it was mostly because of how rending worked and having access to all the weird inquisition toys.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender
Grey Knights, Custodes, and Deathwatch should be exactly the kind of factions that exist to get a single unit or two mixed into Imperial Soup armies. The travesty is not that GK/DW don't have strong armies--their armies should be a novelty--but that their 1-2 core units aren't worth taking in larger imperial/SM armies.

and I say this as someone with a full Deathwatch army

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

Corrode posted:

Battle Company last edition

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

mango sentinel posted:

I missed 7th ed but my understanding was that Taudar, Daemons and Necrons were the power armies. I could be wrong, in my mind we've transitioned seamlessly from 5th to 8th.

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

mango sentinel posted:

I mean, that was less because your stuff was good on its own and more because you had like an extra several hundred points of it for ~reasons~.

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Hero of hormagaunts everywhere!
Buglord

JIZZ DENOUEMENT posted:

I am extremely happy to hear that every tournament isn't just space marines winning over and over

This really hasn’t been the case for an awfully long time. Most tournaments are actually pretty varied and there’s occasional surprise wins from unique builds. “Imperial Soup” gets a lot of play but that’s typically Astra Militarum with a smattering of Astartes. Space Marines have been strong from time to time and are obviously the most popular/iconic, but they generally don’t dominate tournament play.

One_Wing
Feb 19, 2012

Handsome, sophisticated space elves.
Quick question for the thread - does anyone know if any of the audiobook subscription services like audible have black library audiobooks on them? I’d quite like to gradually consume some of the horus heresy stuff, and have a lot of painting planned for the next month (even more if I end up having to speed paint 40 drukari models by the end of May), but I looked at their headline audiobook prices and hooooly crap that’s a lot of money.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

One_Wing posted:

Quick question for the thread - does anyone know if any of the audiobook subscription services like audible have black library audiobooks on them? I’d quite like to gradually consume some of the horus heresy stuff, and have a lot of painting planned for the next month (even more if I end up having to speed paint 40 drukari models by the end of May), but I looked at their headline audiobook prices and hooooly crap that’s a lot of money.

They recently switched over to Audible and the monthly subscriber credits work for the Black Library books.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

I'm looking deeply at AdMech. I've always loved their models, and now ebay is full of cheap Skitarii.

Are they merely just decent or are they the dumpster fire I've been led to believe?

Mef989
Feb 6, 2007

One_Wing posted:

Audible definitely does, though I'd absolutely advocate buying the credits since you'll be paying a lot more otherwise. Most of the HH books on Audible run $25 or so, but you can get 3 credits for $36. I've listened to Eisenhorn and the first 10 HH books that way. Black Library prices were insane the one time I went there ($54 for Tales of Heresy, decided I didn't need to listen to it that badly)

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat

One_Wing posted:

Schadenboner posted:

They recently switched over to Audible and the monthly subscriber credits work for the Black Library books.

Just know that you cant buy more credits until a couple of months in so until that you'll be stuck at 1 book for the month unless you pay the insane price.

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

Gyro Zeppeli posted:

I'm looking deeply at AdMech. I've always loved their models, and now ebay is full of cheap Skitarii.

Are they merely just decent or are they the dumpster fire I've been led to believe?

Ad Mech aren't top tier but they're not garbage either. Good solid army. Their major problem is their limited unit selection, which leads to them being quite samey (although Thanqol has some ideas on them I've not really considered which might give a very different playstyle).

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
How are ruststalkers, because those not-eversors are one of my favorite mechanicum not-robot models.

NovemberMike
Dec 28, 2008

Corrode posted:

Ad Mech aren't top tier but they're not garbage either. Good solid army. Their major problem is their limited unit selection, which leads to them being quite samey (although Thanqol has some ideas on them I've not really considered which might give a very different playstyle).

Someone did the math and they were top quintile at Adepticon IIRC. They're a solid army.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

NovemberMike posted:

Someone did the math and they were top quintile at Adepticon IIRC. They're a solid army.

What was the top player composition %? I imagine it's healthily mixed just by virtue of the Allies system. Obviously Tyranids, Imperium, and Chaos forces are pretty high up, but I doubt Eldar or Tau did too bad either. Orks are in dire shape.

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

Neurolimal posted:

How are ruststalkers, because those not-eversors are one of my favorite mechanicum not-robot models.

Way easier to kill than you'd expect for 2W models and their CC is very swingy.

Infiltrators fare better but more because their 5-shot uzis synergize with certain stratagems and not their awesome taser goads they'll never actually get to use in close combat.

NovemberMike
Dec 28, 2008

Neurolimal posted:

What was the top player composition %? I imagine it's healthily mixed just by virtue of the Allies system. Obviously Tyranids, Imperium, and Chaos forces are pretty high up, but I doubt Eldar or Tau did too bad either. Orks are in dire shape.

http://fieldoffiregaming.com/best-armies-at-adepticon-singles-2018/

It's going by battle points so take that as you will. A lot of the popular imperium armies were probably also brought down by mediocre players playing them.

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Buglord
Can I just go ahead and sub out any Dragoons I was considering for Warglaives? They seem to essentially be mightier versions with a little more punch and less real-world cost and since AdMech desperately need intercepting melee units it seemed like a good way to go. I love the Dragoon models but not the price. :(

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

I'm curious what the Adeptus Ministorum guy brought.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
What are the bottom tier armies? Index armies and GK?

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

Dawgstar posted:

It gives me a bit of hope that Orks will be really cool when they finally drop.

I think what the Dark Eldar codex really shows is that whoever wrote it was passionate about the faction and bringing them to life in the game in a way that's fun and powerful. That's really what Orks need... for some reason they keep putting someone on them who doesn't care about the faction

NovemberMike
Dec 28, 2008

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

What are the bottom tier armies? Index armies and GK?

Looks like Orks, Grey Knights, Space Wolves, Dark Elves and Necrons.

So yeah.

tallkidwithglasses
Feb 7, 2006

One_Wing posted:

I am open mouthed at how preposterously broken that strategem is. I legitimately thought “no countering strategems” was a deliberate design choice they were making. The number of potentially uses is drat near infinite, and it will say “3CP - win the game” far too often. Even shutting off a command re-roll will often be clutch - imagine turning off a reroll for Guilleman or Celestine’s res? Or more hilariously, opponent planning on using insane bravery to keep that blob of 20 Necron warriors you whittles down to 5 in the game? All aboard the nope train.

I would not be surprised if this gets straight up nuked from orbit as fast as commissars did.

I...am going to have to email the London GT organisers and ask how they’re handling dark Eldar detachments. If they’re going for the obvious choice of 3 Drukari patrols = 1 normal detachment, then I think I’m going to have to see if I can coordinate getting an allied force together rather than running my Craftworlds brigade.

You can probably build a 3 patrol blob including a 20 wych block for under 500 points. You make the Archon your warlord, with the KotBH regen CP trait (which craftworlds are already frustratingly don’t have outside half of it on autarchs, which are trash in Biel Tan anyway), pay your one CP to level the haemoculus up to the “lol now gain d3” trait and a succubus to ???, then run a craftworlds battalion + something else. Trade 500 points of craftworld stuff to get access to a premier chaff clearing unit in the Wyches, a couple of objective grabbing troops choices and three decent characters, and get access to what is probably the best strategem in the game, CP regen, and a bunch of other neat tricks.

My Necron army might have to wait.

Everything about this codex screams out to me that this is going to turn out to be a terrible mistake. I really hope they know what they’re doing. Maybe soup is getting some serious nerfing in the FAQ, something like “only get strategems that match all factions of your warlord” would help.

+2 charge strat is Biel Tan only though? Can’t do anything about quicken I suppose.

This post made me preorder the deldar codex and buy the old start collecting box.

One_Wing
Feb 19, 2012

Handsome, sophisticated space elves.

tallkidwithglasses posted:

This post made me preorder the deldar codex and buy the old start collecting box.

It is only fair of me to say that others in the thread are less convinced that it’s busted compared to me, but you do you - I’m certainly going to buy a copy of the book just to see what I can pull off with allied detachments, especially if Dark Reapers do get a nerf and leave a hole in my faction.

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

Honestly I'm liking that the reaction to the counter-stratagem is that it should immediately nerfed out of the game rather than doing something like perhaps considering making lists that are not entirely dependent on a game-winning CP spend.

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat

Der Waffle Mous posted:

Honestly I'm liking that the reaction to the counter-stratagem is that it should immediately nerfed out of the game rather than doing something like perhaps considering making lists that are not entirely dependent on a game-winning CP spend.

Its not even a matter of being dependent on it, but getting stopped part way through setup leaving you critically exposed.

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

Artum posted:

Its not even a matter of being dependent on it, but getting stopped part way through setup leaving you critically exposed.

If you're playing against a DE army with access to this stratagem and still try to make the play without having planned for this eventuality you deserve what happens to you.

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

PierreTheMime posted:

Can I just go ahead and sub out any Dragoons I was considering for Warglaives? They seem to essentially be mightier versions with a little more punch and less real-world cost and since AdMech desperately need intercepting melee units it seemed like a good way to go. I love the Dragoon models but not the price. :(

Dragoons are 68pts and have a couple of great stratagems which interact with them, Warglaives are 240pts and don't. Dragoons are insanely good for their cost and surprisingly survivable, and a unit of 3 will tear up most things they hit with the +2 to hit stratagem.

The models are great but yeah, super expensive. Also fiddly, fragile and hard to transport. But they look great on the table and they're definitely up there in the "Ad Mech weirdness" stakes.

TheChirurgeon posted:

I think what the Dark Eldar codex really shows is that whoever wrote it was passionate about the faction and bringing them to life in the game in a way that's fun and powerful. That's really what Orks need... for some reason they keep putting someone on them who doesn't care about the faction

Yeah this. You can spot the books where they weren't sure where to go with them (Ad Mech, Grey Knights, Tau) and the ones with real advocates in the studio (Guard, Eldar, Nids and now apparently Dark Eldar).

tallkidwithglasses
Feb 7, 2006

One_Wing posted:

It is only fair of me to say that others in the thread are less convinced that it’s busted compared to me, but you do you - I’m certainly going to buy a copy of the book just to see what I can pull off with allied detachments, especially if Dark Reapers do get a nerf and leave a hole in my faction.

I don’t think the stratagem is busted at all, but your histrionics were so delightful it prompted me to spend money.

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

Dragoons are the unit I absolutely wish I had more of in 8th edition.

but $60cad per model.

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Buglord

Der Waffle Mous posted:

Dragoons are the unit I absolutely wish I had more of in 8th edition.

but $60cad per model.

:same:

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

TheChirurgeon posted:

It was probably Phil Kelly leading that one. I saw him give a seminar on DE a couple of years after they came out and he was obviously still totally into them.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

Lovely Joe Stalin posted:

It was probably Phil Kelly leading that one. I saw him give a seminar on DE a couple of years after they came out and he was obviously still totally into them.

Yeah the Dark Eldar are Phil Kelly's baby. He was the credited author on the 5th Edition codex update for them and it was the only 5th edition codex that read like the author was actually passionate about the codex he was making.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

The bonds of blood transcend all others.
But no blood runs stronger than that of Sanguinius
Grimey Drawer

Der Waffle Mous posted:

I'm significantly less chicken little about that strategem that several people in here and I'm still willing to admit that it's going to be completely crippling for a lot of lists. Core faction mechanics are frequently locked behind strategem use and being able to counter them is extremely powerful and honestly feels pretty lovely for the player on the receiving end.