Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

X-O posted:

I believe it was a really bad case of acne. Like really bad.

That's a bit surprising. I thought it looked sort of like Gary Moore's facial scarring, and I know that resulted from him getting hit in the face with a bottle when he was playing a club in Belfast in the 70s and some of his friends tried to stitch him (possibly while drunk), so I assumed it would've been something more like that.

Edit: One of my favourite things in Miami Vice is when Edward James Olmos beats up all the bad guys with karate moves. I like the one where he's sneaking around a mansion like Snake and taking out KGB agents with a samurai sword.

Wheat Loaf fucked around with this message at 01:01 on Mar 30, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

DC Murderverse posted:

Married with Children is terrible and Roseanne (at its best) was really drat good, so you may have had just a weird childhood.

also Cheers is probably the best older sitcom left where none of the most important cast members (shouts to Coach) have passed away so they need to get on that poo poo. Plus you've got your Obnoxious Hot Takes About Conservatives quotient because John Ratzenberger is an occasional Fox News guest and everyone knows Kelsey Grammar is a really obnoxious conservative, plus I think Kirsty Alley has said some dumb poo poo too. And on the other end you have Woody Harrelson, who is basically a commie.

You get out of here with that Kristy Alley poo poo obviously it would be Shelley Long.

I couldn't get past 6 episodes after she left :(

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

If we’re gonna revive a bunch of poo poo let me get some more Night Court please.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008
Looking through poo poo on prime video. Is Comrade Detective any good?

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Zerilan posted:

It's very funny. If you were born before 1979 it's really funny.

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009
Hates Native American people and tries to justify their genocides.

Put this racist on ignore immediately!

Zerilan posted:

I liked Comrade Detective, but I'm a bit hesitant to recommend it. It's a one joke show - what if there was a fervently pro-communism Romanian cop show? - but that one joke gave me some hearty belly laughs.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Party Plane Jones posted:

Put one more on the pile:

(click the picture for the article but it does not get any better from that header image)

I loving knew it.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Siren is good, Free Willy but mermaids and a secret military mermaid hunting unit.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost

Croatoan posted:

You know I can see M*A*S*H being rebooted and being good

The setting (both where and when) could be tough. I'm not in the service, but I doubt that modern combat trauma surgery happens with three or four simultaneous teams in the same suite, and the back-and-forth in the operating tent between the surgeons provided some of the most important moments on the show. I could be wrong, though.

On top of that, it's just tough to balance lighthearted moments with the sheer bleakness of the situation. It seems harder to justify a medical outpost that's so far removed from the rest of the command that you have two surgeons pranking everyone and building a still in their tent, let alone someone dressed in drag to get kicked out of the service.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

There are too many medical dramas already. They need to make a super procedural that is about the lives of firefighters, cops, lawyers, and doctors and how their lives interconnect. Executive produced by Dick Wolf.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost
Personally I think we just need a show that spends fifty-five minutes detailing a single person's chaotic last hours, and then five minutes of having them show up dead in the ED, me pronouncing them after noting futility, and filling a death certificate that gets it completely wrong while patients with stubbed toes scream that they've been waiting A WHOLE HALF HOUR. Zero medical drama, all about how we marginalize and dehumanize people who have stories to tell.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Mu Zeta posted:

There are too many medical dramas already. They need to make a super procedural that is about the lives of firefighters, cops, lawyers, and doctors and how their lives interconnect. Executive produced by Dick Wolf.

Would you take a super procedural about the lives of firefighters, cops and first responders, and how their lives interconnect, executive produced by Ryan Murphy.

Cause it's a thing, and it has a killer jumping castle.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
I liked how M*A*S*H was able to be lighthearted at times but soul crushing at others. It might have been a "lightning in a bottle" show though that current showrunners wouldn't be able to keep that balance. Besides, America was so sick of war at that time and currently we seem to be just fine with constant war so I don't know if the political environment would be good for it anyway.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Mu Zeta posted:

Don't all of the Chicago shows cross over like that?

(I don't watch them myself but my sister likes them.)

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Mu Zeta posted:

Didn't this exist as a show called 3rd Watch or something? I don't think there were any lawyers but I didn't watch it.

Aardark
Aug 5, 2004

by Lowtax
The entire Three Body trilogy is one of the best sci-fi works ever, and if they actually spend all that money on a TV series and let competent people work on it, it's gonna be loving awesome. Really cool news.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Wheat Loaf posted:

Don't all of the Chicago shows cross over like that?

(I don't watch them myself but my sister likes them.)

That's :thejoke:

Croatoan posted:

I liked how M*A*S*H was able to be lighthearted at times but soul crushing at others. It might have been a "lightning in a bottle" show though that current showrunners wouldn't be able to keep that balance. Besides, America was so sick of war at that time and currently we seem to be just fine with constant war so I don't know if the political environment would be good for it anyway.

M*A*S*H was absolutely a product of its time and it would never fly today.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Not a huge surprise but ABC has ordered another season of new Roseanne. 13 episodes instead of 9.

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll
The cast are all going to make a million an episode I presume

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Oh man, I would LOOOVE to be in a room with those execs if the ratings crater on the 2nd episode.

The premier of any revival of a popular show is going to pull in big numbers. Can they sustain it though once curiosity is satisfied?

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Yes. Sure, they'll dip a bit as all shows do. But people are watching this show for the same reason they voted for Trump: they feel underreprsented and are afraid their way of life is dying. Seeing right-leaning, lowerclass America on screen is hugely validating and incredibly comforting to them.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Also it's Roseanne. Even if the rest of this season sucks it's going to have people watching it. Season 2 is where things might get shaky if the quality of the show is no good, but even then I can see it doing well for however long they keep it on just by virtue of being familiar to people. I mean look at how well Fuller House has done and that show is terrible. Or any number of lovely sitcoms that don't even have a recognition/nostalgia to coast off of.

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

feedmyleg posted:

Yes. Sure, they'll dip a bit as all shows do. But people are watching this show for the same reason they voted for Trump: they feel underreprsented and are afraid their way of life is dying. Seeing right-leaning, lowerclass America on screen is hugely validating and incredibly comforting to them.

It's not even that right-leaning. The second episode was about Roseanne and Dan coming to terms with their grandson preferring to wear girls' clothes, supporting him and defending him for it to his classmates.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

less laughter posted:

It's not even that right-leaning. The second episode was about Roseanne and Dan coming to terms with their grandson preferring to wear girls' clothes, supporting him and defending him for it to his classmates.

Yep. And like I posted above, her character wanted a union job and no neoliberal tax breaks for companies to entice them into the area. None of those things are right leaning.

E: they're into guns though!

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll
And Jackie represents the other side.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Matt Zerella posted:

E: they're into guns though!

They owned a gun but didn't know where the gently caress they kept it which honesty was a very Roseanne plot point.

I'm starting to come around on the reboot, but there's still big parts of it I didn't like much.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

I think Roseanne Barr (and by extension, Roseanne Connor), broadly speaking, still has a bunch of left-leaning political beliefs (pro-union, pro-taxing rich people, pro-women's rights) but she's also a crazy person who likes Donald Trump and has terrible opinions about political correctness (which stem from being a comedian) and trans people (which stem from being a TERF), and also hates the democratic party. She's not a "typical" Trump fan in terms of how she came to that support (i.e. not a Republican) but the particular morass of political beliefs of Roseanne and her particular personality result in being obnoxious to liberals for obvious reason but also probably obnoxious for a broad swatch of conservatives because she's not really a conservative.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

DC Murderverse posted:

I think Roseanne Barr (and by extension, Roseanne Connor), broadly speaking, still has a bunch of left-leaning political beliefs (pro-union, pro-taxing rich people, pro-women's rights) but she's also a crazy person who likes Donald Trump and has terrible opinions about political correctness (which stem from being a comedian) and trans people (which stem from being a TERF), and also hates the democratic party. She's not a "typical" Trump fan in terms of how she came to that support (i.e. not a Republican) but the particular morass of political beliefs of Roseanne and her particular personality result in being obnoxious to liberals for obvious reason but also probably obnoxious for a broad swatch of conservatives because she's not really a conservative.

She's a Lanford of contrasts.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

I don't get it. America is at open war with itself. Donald Trump is literally bringing in laws and creating divisions that are killing people and everyone just accepts a right wing supporter of his on TV because it opens a "dialogue." gently caress that. You all should be in open, violent rebellion to take back your country.

That said I feel the same way about the UK too and were just collectively sleep walking towards an economic and cultural armageddon.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

DC Murderverse posted:

good post but i bolded all you need to say for you :v:

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

PriorMarcus posted:

I don't get it. America is at open war with itself. Donald Trump is literally bringing in laws and creating divisions that are killing people and everyone just accepts a right wing supporter of his on TV because it opens a "dialogue." gently caress that. You all should be in open, violent rebellion to take back your country.

That said I feel the same way about the UK too and were just collectively sleep walking towards an economic and cultural armageddon.

History has done a pretty good job of showing that the absolute worst way to deal with broken brained people is to silence and marginalize them. It just makes them double down, and keeps their activities largely mysterious rather than openly mockable.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

i can't remember which review of the Roseanne premiere I read that talked about it (i think AV club) but someone pointed out that Jackie having pulled the lever at the last minute for Jill Stein is pretty clearly a Roseanne Barr invention because of her deep, deep dislike of Clinton.

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll
Jackie voting for Stein was the joke in and of itself though

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

PriorMarcus posted:

There's a deeper reason these populist feelings are rising and a lot of them can be traced back to the rise of neoliberalism/austerity under Regan and Thatcher and their dismantling of labor unions in the process.

Roseanne is a decent prism into that world for those of us who might not understand it.

I've said it over and over, Roseanne Connor is a pretty different person from Roseanne Barr and I commend her and the writers from putting up a decent firewall there. Again, the Trump stuff is overblown as hell in the first episode. It was a thread in the story but there were others like how it's insanely stupid that both sides act like petulant children who won't even sit down and TRY to understand the other side. Not that the answer is there either.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

PriorMarcus posted:

You all should be in open, violent rebellion to take back your country.
Lmao can you even imagine

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

precision posted:

History has done a pretty good job of showing that the absolute worst way to deal with broken brained people is to silence and marginalize them. It just makes them double down, and keeps their activities largely mysterious rather than openly mockable.

I wish the white supremacists would go back to being quiet and mysterious

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Mu Zeta posted:

I wish the white supremacists would go back to being quiet and mysterious

I remember the days they couldn't go down the shop with a tattoo showing, they'd get loving battered. Good old days.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

PriorMarcus posted:

You all should be in open, violent rebellion to take back your country.

Nothing you can do, folks. Although the Second Amendment people — maybe there is, I don’t know.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Rocksicles posted:

I remember the days they couldn't go down the shop with a tattoo showing, they'd get loving battered. Good old days.

most large cities in America, if you're a neo-Nazi skinhead and it's obvious, you will in fact get constantly harassed by SHARPs and probably also beaten up. i really haven't noticed that happening any less, if anything it happens more now