Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.

Elentor posted:

Genos is unpleasant but that doesn't make him less heroic. Genos was genuinely worried about saving that girl and it was not for fame, narcissism or worry about the hero's image. He doesn't care for fame and he finds the people who worships him dull because his physical appearance is just a literal shell.

I think that the fact that he's constantly willing to sacrifice himself for others when he has a clear vendetta and to an extent the power to pursuit it makes him one of the most heroic characters in OPM. Genos knows that he shouldn't be doing what he does, but he can't help it. He has to help others.

Do you think his willingness to help in this way was with him initially, or do you think it came entirely from watching Saitama? I get the feeling that early, fight-obsessed, let-my-guard-down Genos wouldn't be as concerned as fighting for a greater good until he met Saitama who was a hero for the hell of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

SpacePig posted:

Do you think his willingness to help in this way was with him initially, or do you think it came entirely from watching Saitama? I get the feeling that early, fight-obsessed, let-my-guard-down Genos wouldn't be as concerned as fighting for a greater good until he met Saitama who was a hero for the hell of it.

I think there's a parallel between early Saitama and Genos now in that Saitama's breakdown was when he decided to quit looking for jobs and follow his instinct that was protecting that kid. I'd call Genos as an absent-minded hero, if such a thing exists, he has been written as a bit of a hero in the traditional sense since the moment we saw him but he can't focus for poo poo. He mentions how he can fight Mosquito girl now that every building has been evacuated, meaning he is super worried about collateral damage, and he gets startled when he realizes that Saitama would have died from his blast because he was absent-minded about it. He also decides to sacrifice himself even though he has a revenge mission.

I think it's part of his character that he inherently cannot stand injustice but he's written different from other characters who think of justice in terms of justice (Mumen Rider even makes a speech about it). Everything about Genos is very brash and impulsive, so even his sense of justice is consistent with that. I think Genos is less self-aware that he's a hero than Saitama and Mumen Rider who both make a speech about justice and heroism at some point, Genos just throws himself at it. It makes for a good joke since he often is punished for his bravery, but it is very consistent and has been there since before he met Saitama.

Elentor fucked around with this message at 19:09 on Mar 29, 2018

Billzasilver
Nov 8, 2016

I lift my drink and sing a song

for who knows if life is short or long?

Man's life is like the morning dew

past days many, future days few

Elentor posted:

Genos is unpleasant but that doesn't make him less heroic. Genos was genuinely worried about saving that girl and it was not for fame, narcissism or worry about the hero's image. He doesn't care for fame and he finds the people who worships him dull because his physical appearance is just a literal shell.

I think that the fact that he's constantly willing to sacrifice himself for others when he has a clear vendetta and to an extent the power to pursuit it makes him one of the most heroic characters in OPM. Genos knows that he shouldn't be doing what he does, but he can't help it. He has to help others.

Genoa is the meanest good boy

If you can’t handle me at my Demon Cyborg, you don’t deserve

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

There's only one true hero in OPM. He's also the best boy.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
We still don't anything about what Drive Knight even does or is.

skaianDestiny posted:

Genos is also very cold to most anyone not named Saitama. He'll save people like the girl in the Sea King arc but he's a very intense person otherwise and not likely pleasant to be around.
having your family murdered and your body remodeled so you can quell the fires of revenge can make you intense.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.

Monaghan posted:

There's only one true hero in OPM. He's also the best boy.

Licencesless Rider is the only absolutely true hero, but there are others who are heroic when it counts.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Expect My Mom posted:

having your family murdered and your body remodeled so you can quell the fires of revenge can make you intense.

90% of Saitama's advice for Genos amounts to "calm the gently caress down."

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Expect My Mom posted:

yea but they're very mean about it!

except superalloy darkshine, he's cool

Also Watchdog Man, who is a dog and therefore a Good Boy isn't exactly social but dresses up as a dog to make children happy, and he doesn't mind people gawking at him and stuff.

But yeah, a big theme with the S-Class heroes, though not all of them, is that they're heroes incidentally, pursuing other goals that coincidentally help people, or that they don't really care about the people they save, but they are still helping and saving people.

Schwarzwald posted:

And it's good advice. Also the only advice of Saitama's that Genos doesn't take.

Roland Jones fucked around with this message at 21:23 on Mar 29, 2018

Billzasilver
Nov 8, 2016

Schwarzwald posted:

It’s good advice for Genos and also for everyone else, especially me.

Hopeford
Oct 15, 2010

Eh, why not?
I know it will never happen but I would want nothing more than toward the end of the manga for Genos to one day actually follow Saitama's 100 pushups training for no logical reason since he's a robot and then beat his fated evil enemy with one punch as all his hair starts to fall and we're never given any explanation why the physical training made his purely mechanical body stronger.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
That would be legit amazing.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

Hopeford posted:

I know it will never happen but I would want nothing more than toward the end of the manga for Genos to one day actually follow Saitama's 100 pushups training for no logical reason since he's a robot and then beat his fated evil enemy with one punch as all his hair starts to fall and we're never given any explanation why the physical training made his purely mechanical body stronger.

It would make for a fun epilogue.

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord

skaianDestiny posted:

MangaStream adds random swears everywhere. Genos probably didn't actually call Fubuki a bitch.

Yeah, he said "kisama" (貴様) which is rude but not the same as say "kono ama" (この尼) which is how Jotaro calls his mom a bitch.

Amante
Jan 3, 2007

skaianDestiny posted:

So someone on Reddit pointed out that on the page where Dr. Genus is talking about people turning into monsters, near the joined speech bubble you can see Genos's eye and face.

https://www.reddit.com/r/OnePunchMan/comments/86v74g/one_punch_man_chapter_89_full_translation/dw8mfhf/

Doesn't surprise me; Kuseno seems way too nice. Between that and him showing up in an ominous looking mech suit this chapter, I'm pretty sure there's a betrayal coming in the future. Like him being the one who destroyed Genos's village all along.

LostRook
Jun 7, 2013
It is interesting that King was blown away but Kuseno wasn't during the hotpot scramble. Of course the mechanical enemy arc is probably going to be one of the last arcs just based on how much is tied to it, so we'll probably be waiting a while for the answer.

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Amante posted:

Doesn't surprise me; Kuseno seems way too nice. Between that and him showing up in an ominous looking mech suit this chapter, I'm pretty sure there's a betrayal coming in the future. Like him being the one who destroyed Genos's village all along.

I thought Kuseno made the cyborg who destroyed Genos's village, and is trying to atone?

Billzasilver
Nov 8, 2016

We don’t know anything about Genos’ background :colbert:

Goffer
Apr 4, 2007
"..."
The way Kuseno talks to / about Genos in the latest chapter makes me think that Genos might actually not be human at all, it’s like he’s surprised his pet AI is making friends.

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker
I wouldn't be particularly surprised if it turns out it was Genos himself that went berserk and destroyed his own village.

Goffer
Apr 4, 2007
"..."
Could be Genos might actually be a demon level monster, just suffering amnesia after an earlier forgotten confrontation with saitama, and fixed by Kuseno to fight for good instead of evil.

Kid Emperor is right not to trust him.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
Genos is amnesiac cyborg Blast

Kegslayer
Jul 23, 2007

Amante posted:

Kuseno seems like a legitimately good guy though since he set up the same joke as Genos when he started giving out his back story.

Billzasilver
Nov 8, 2016

Saitama would know if Genos or kuseno were bad in any way

Saitama is the only hero to truly acknowledge licenseless rider

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Kegslayer posted:

Kuseno seems like a legitimately good guy though since he set up the same joke as Genos when he started giving out his back story.

that just makes him more suspicious :tinfoil:

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

AnonSpore posted:

Genos is amnesiac cyborg Blast
finally, a theory worth something

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I think Kuseno is good, Genos is good and Metal Knight is the bad guy as the story leads us to believe but I would actually enjoy if it turns out to be some of the plot twists suggested in the thread.

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord

skaianDestiny posted:

So someone on Reddit pointed out that on the page where Dr. Genus is talking about people turning into monsters, near the joined speech bubble you can see Genos's eye and face.

https://www.reddit.com/r/OnePunchMan/comments/86v74g/one_punch_man_chapter_89_full_translation/dw8mfhf/

I kinda noticed this but I thought that was the bdsm monster lady but there's no eyelashes so I guess it really is Genos huh

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

I wonder how Pig God falls into this equation. He seems like he might have 'monsterified' because of an obsession with eating, yet somehow retained being a decent human being.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
You guys are overthinking things. Genos is just really anti social so Dr. Kuseno is happy he made some friends.

d[-.-]b
Aug 1, 2004

my fav champ that hero who cats a spell that make all bad guy fall down and say my dick BIG

Mr. Lobe posted:

I wonder how Pig God falls into this equation. He seems like he might have 'monsterified' because of an obsession with eating, yet somehow retained being a decent human being.

I wonder what Pig God's relationship is to the pig looking executive monster from the MA.

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen

RatHat posted:

You guys are overthinking things. Genos is just really anti social so Dr. Kuseno is happy he made some friends.

:agreed:

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

RatHat posted:

No. Too straightforward. What if Dr. Kuseno is also Blast but only becomes him as a sort of Jekyll and Hyde situation?

where the red fern gropes
Aug 24, 2011

what if blast is blast

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

where the red fern gropes posted:

what if blast is blast

No, too straightforward, there has to be something else more complicated to it than that. You can't just have a hero people can't call on reliably in the No. 1 spot.

Billzasilver
Nov 8, 2016

RatHat posted:

Exactly 20 words :golfclap:

AtheistMantis
Oct 5, 2014
So I just finished reading the DBxSaitama crossover. It was fun throughout, but I thought the first couple chapters were the best. Things just got too drawn out and serious once Genos got introduced, the gags were less inventive by the third volume.

Dragon Garou Lee is amazing at recreating Toriyama's art style from the Saiyan saga, and flat ONE Saitama is still a funny gag that can't be that hard to draw. It just felt like something was off with the Serious Saitama panels. Like, he's a better artist than ONE, but maybe he's not as good as ONE at storyboarding to make doofy drawings feel epic. Maybe nobody can compare to Ultra Instinct Yusuke Murata.

Sir Ilpalazzo
Sep 4, 2012
I remember not liking the King chapter he did. The ones with Vegeta and Buu were good but somehow it felt like the author missed what makes King funny.

AtheistMantis
Oct 5, 2014

Sir Ilpalazzo posted:

I remember not liking the King chapter he did. The ones with Vegeta and Buu were good but somehow it felt like the author missed what makes King funny.

Yeah, the King Engine didn't even get to rev up before he just got randomly saved.

Artist didn't seem to get Genos either. At the end, even if the intended joke was that Genos was reciting the lyrics of Maka Fushigi Adventure, he has never rambled on for more than 20 words to Saitama since the first time.

All the one panel omakes after each chapter were pretty good though. This one was my favourite.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Billzasilver posted:

Exactly 20 words :golfclap:

Haha totally an accident.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

White Light
Dec 19, 2012

Expect My Mom posted:

yea but they're very mean about it!

except superalloy darkshine, he's cool

As someone who has never really been into modern superhero stories, I do have to give One Punch Man credit for having The Avengers But lovely, Lazy And Poorly Managed

Are they? I mean one time they had the Avengers headed by the Green Goblin of all people. I'd say they're about even here