Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

a primate
Jun 2, 2010

Perhaps turning everyone into wage slaves with no time to spend with our children is... bad???

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

quote:

At older ages, program exposure is associated with worsened health and life satisfaction, and increased rates of criminal activity.

How much of this is simply due to them being Quebecois?

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

Reince Penis posted:

I'm skeptical of any legislation that expands reverse onus conditions. It directly contradicts the idea of innocent until proven guilty, a cornerstone of our and most western legal systems.

I like that these lawyers can at least admit that stacking the jury by skin color is a thing. The Boushie trial probably would have found the same thing regardless of skin color of jurists. But that white guy trial is changing it so that the minorities who are on trial more often are getting getting to use that obscene race based jury selection technique less often which will actually make the system better. Good job Libs.

quote:

Defence lawyers are sounding the alarm about sweeping changes to the criminal justice system unveiled Thursday by the Liberal government, warning the proposals will further stack the deck against those accused of a crime while doing little to promote a more equitable justice system.

Bill C-75, introduced Thursday by Justice Minister Jody Wilson-Raybould, will remove sections of the Criminal Code that allow for peremptory challenges — which allow lawyers to remove a potential juror without giving reasons — in an effort to reform jury selection so the panels are "more representative of the Canadian population."

Some defence lawyers tell CBC News they actually use these challenges to make juries more diverse — by challenging some would-be white jurors — to ensure a fairer trial for visible minority clients.

The government is arguing the reverse, saying that ending peremptory challenges will prevent Crown attorneys and defence lawyers alike from barring minority candidates from juries.

Some believe that's what happened in the Colten Boushie trial — that Indigenous jurors were weeded out to better the odds of a not-guilty verdict for Gerald Stanley, the white farmer accused of Boushie's murder. Stanley was found not guilty of second-degree murder in the death of 22-year-old Indigenous man.

"This one case is going to strip away peremptory challenges, and it's only because of the [Boushie] backlash, which should tell you how crassly political this whole bill is," Solomon Friedman, a prominent Ottawa-based defence lawyer, said in an interview with CBC News.

"The fact that this bill was pushed out in the afternoon before a long weekend, when Parliament is going to rise for two weeks, tells you how ashamed the government really is of this bill."

http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/liberal-justice-reforms-jury-selection-1.4600007

ChairMaster
Aug 22, 2009

by R. Guyovich

a primate posted:

Perhaps turning everyone into wage slaves with no time to spend with our children is... bad???

I've always been a little confused by the attitude that all families should have two working parents that ship off their kids to daycare every day rather than having a society where both parents don't need to be working at all times in order to survive.

I guess people turn it into a gender thing because for the last few millennia it was women being forced to stay home, but this never seemed like a very good solution to me.

just another
Oct 16, 2009

these dead towns that make the maps wrong now

ChairMaster posted:

I've always been a little confused by the attitude that all families should have two working parents that ship off their kids to daycare every day rather than having a society where both parents don't need to be working at all times in order to survive.

I guess people turn it into a gender thing because for the last few millennia it was women being forced to stay home, but this never seemed like a very good solution to me.
One of the hopes I have for a UBI is that it results in more households where only one parent works, and more households where a single parent has the option of staying home if they value child-rearing over employment. Women will continue to disproportionately opt for child-rearing, and rent seeking intellectuals will continue trying to gaslight them into thinking they've internalized misogyny, but at least it would give more people more freedom to live how they want.

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

id be down for Five Full Years of Paid Parental Leave

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?
my fiancees 80 year old uncle over easter brunch complained about the new muslim leader of the ndp selling out the country and then 3 other large grown adults complained about naked native men for 20 minutes. holy gently caress I hate family dinners.

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

I’m curious what’s his reply when you say the guy isn’t muslim

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord

Terror Sweat posted:

He offered his criticism here on SA

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

Terror Sweat posted:

he ignored me then when on to talk about all the terrorism singh has committed

also lmao

https://twitter.com/Brian_Pallister/status/981615378643251201

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.
please like

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

lmao

https://twitter.com/CBCNews/status/983668930647642112

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

I'd laugh at them but they may send a hit squad to kill me. I heard that place is very good though - at least for breakfast but there was always tons of bikes outside at all hours. gently caress joke though to go on Facebook. :lol:

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
lmao.

nice yelp review you've got there. it'd be a shame if anything happened to it

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
the kinder, gentler HA: review bombing, not firebombing

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

Vintersorg posted:

I'd laugh at them but they may send a hit squad to kill me. I heard that place is very good though - at least for breakfast but there was always tons of bikes outside at all hours. gently caress joke though to go on Facebook. :lol:

marion street eatery is very good, it's the same chef that was running the restaurant attached to the zoo on osbourne before some developers shut it all down to turn that place into condos

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

During Canada day a couple years ago I was with my friends at street fest in Osborne and we had stopped at the zoo for beers and pizza and a bunch of Nomads members sat down at our table beside us. My girlfriend at the time came back with her pizza and sat down beside me and the 2 ladies that with the motorcycle gang started yelling at us because we "stole" their chair. They starting running their mouths off and telling us we hosed up and there was going to be trouble. Dale Kelland(the guy in that story) came and sat down on the other end of the table at this time and I was pretty sure we were all dead. One of my friends, who I'm 90% sure was part of a chapter of the Hell's Angels in California like 15 years ago went up to Dale and started talking to him like it was no big deal. My friend came back and explained that Dale was on probation for a minor crime(he was in street clothes and couldn't wear his colours) and that the ladies shouldn't have been running their mouths off to "civilians" and they would be dealt with. They became like the friendliest group of people of people after that and we shared pizza.

Moral of the story is if you live in Winnipeg get a friend that is an ex-gang member

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN

I saw this and immediately thought of that CSPAM thread about how we live in the lamest possible Cyberpunk Dystopia.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

DariusLikewise posted:

Moral of the story is don't live in Winnipeg

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

:lol:

quote:

Get rid of Trudeau. Never let the Liberals or the Left wing get back in to a Majority ever. They are obviously not to be trusted. The people that voted for him did it because he wasn't Harper. Trudope and his party have no substance, no foresight, and have hosed Alberta over for the last time. I used to work in Fort Mac Murray now I'm on Ei. I have entered into college again at age 40 instead of providing for my family by having a job. I'm done with civil discussion. gently caress you you liberal hippies. You are cutting off our collective noses to spite our face, all in the name of environmentalism. What a sick joke to live here in Alberta and have other citizens of Canada laugh at us because we weren't prepared for the rest of Canada to turn their backs on us. Trudeau has sunk his own ship by not having a spine on any issues unless its virtue signaling that he's a feminist, immigrant , trans person. And blames the previous government for not putting us into crippling debt. I feel like most Canadians don't even pay attention to his lack of substance, only that he has nice hair.

A Typical Goon
Feb 25, 2011

watch out, the Hell’s angels might vote this thread a one if you keep making fun of them :ohdear:

James Baud
May 24, 2015

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

lmao what the gently caress

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manitoba/hells-angels-no-gang-colours-policy-1.4616713

quote:

The president of the Manitoba Nomads, a local chapter of the Hells Angels Motorcycle Club, is comparing a Winnipeg business's "no gang colour" policy — which resulted in customers wearing the biker gang's trademark logos being turned away — to the discrimination Indigenous Canadians faced under the Indian Act.

But a Toronto-based lawyer and author says it's the gang that may be breaking the law, through their recent online targeting of the businesses.

"This treatment of Canadians was wrong then and it's wrong now," Nomads president Dale Kelland wrote on his Facebook page, where he cited an 1884 amendment to the Indian Act that made it a felony for Indigenous people to enter a licensed establishement.

A number of local Indigenous organizations declined to comment on Kelland's claims.

Kelland is better known as Dale Donovan — a full-patch Hells Angel, the highest rank in the gang — who's been convicted of a number of crimes including conspiracy to commit an indictable offence, and trying to recruit gang members into a criminal organization. In 2009 he was sentenced to eight years in prison for his role in a drug trafficking operation.

Kelland didn't respond to multiple CBC News requests for an interview about the online campaign he launched against two local businesses he believed had a "no gang colours" policy.

As CBC News recently reported, he urged members to boycott businesses that had turned away those wearing gang colours, and urged them to leave one-star reviews of the businesses on social media.

The Nomads president has now taken to social media to rally members in support of his calls to end what he called "discrimination."

"I don't think the Hells Angels are gonna get very far with that," said Warren Kinsella, a visiting professor in the University of Calgary's faculty of law.

But Kinsella, who is a Toronto-based lawyer and author, said businesses have the right to exclude anyone from their establishments.

"That right exists … [but] they're not allowed to do that on the basis of race or religion or disability or something like that," said Kinsella.

Kinsella had never heard of a criminal organization banding together to give businesses one-star reviews on social media. He said while that might appear almost comical, it's not.

"This is not just a bad review, it's a bad review on steroids. It has a menacing overtone," he said.

He said words have different meanings coming out of different mouths, recalling an incident several years ago outside an Ottawa courthouse.

Kinsella had testified at a hate trial. As he was walking out of the courthouse with police, a skinhead walked by and said Kinsella's home address.

"That's all he said — he didn't say anything else."

Kinsella said police phoned him that night and told him they were arresting the skinhead because his words amounted to a threat.

He wonders if the Hells Angels' social media attacks on the Manitoba businesses could also be considered a crime.

"I think the emotional and psychological impact of hundreds of Hells Angels members going after your business, even if they're not standing there in the lobby — you know, wearing their leather jackets and looking threatening — even if they're not doing that, I would imagine for these businesses it is quite intimidating and quite upsetting," said Kinsella.

He said police in Winnipeg should take a hard look at Kelland and the other Hells Angels who posted reviews, because if they did it to threaten or intimidate a business, their actions won't be protected under the Charter of Rights and Freedoms.

"What if this is not just a one off? What if this is the beginning of a strategy for these guys? It's a strategy that could have an impact on a lot of people's bottom line," Kinsella said.

"If it's the beginning of a trend, it's something that people in politics, and bureaucrats and police and the Crown need to look at, to see if this is the start of something far more sinister."

Mike Desautels, supervising senior Crown in the Manitoba Prosecution Service's criminal organization unit, said the province has the legislative toolkit to go after gang members.

"In this sense it isn't about adding more offences to the Criminal Code. We have to use the provisions that we have and that is largely dependent on the nature and quality of the evidence that we have available," he said.

Desautels worked on a number of cases involving gang members and said section 467 of the Criminal Code sets out the offences designed to combat criminal organizations.

"A person can be convicted of some of the criminal-organization offences without actually being proven to be a member of the criminal organization — an association is enough," he said.

In 2010 the province seized the Hells Angels' clubhouse in Winnipeg under the Criminal Property Forfeiture Act, and later sold it.

Last year, a judge gave police permission to destroy the contents found within it, including 100 Hells Angels Winnipeg greeting cards, T-shirts and ball caps.

A spokesperson for Canada's Department of Justice said last October a private member's bill (Bill C-349) was defeated in Parliament that would have made it a criminal offence to wear the emblem of a listed criminal organization.

"There are no plans at this time to amend the Criminal Code in this regard," the spokesperson said in an email.

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
https://twitter.com/ddale8/status/986306297589972992?s=19

You and every housewife in Etobicoke

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

lmao my fragile white male identity

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/pol...campaign=PM2018

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

https://twitter.com/SharonCreelman/status/986729923124580352

SoupyTwist
Feb 20, 2008

https://twitter.com/JohnIbbitson/status/884973365525610497

Reince Penis
Nov 15, 2007

by R. Guyovich
Mayo is the new woke

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

thank you for this exciting news update cbc, "canadian mentioned in america"

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

Nobody puts Phil in a corner.

https://twitter.com/RWJBoon/status/986687587057356801

Your conservative party everyone.

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

https://www.ctvnews.ca/canada/i-was-so-scared-beaver-on-the-lam-after-break-in-attempt-1.3894366#_gus&_gucid=&_gup=twitter&_gsc=Ozusx9b

quote:

It may have only been about 30 centimetres tall with a plump figure and a slow waddle, but a bucktoothed beaver delivered quite the scare when it tried to gnaw its way into a home in Nanaimo, B.C.

Jessica Boyd was sitting in her living room watching television with her nine-year-old son sleeping upstairs on Wednesday evening when she said she heard a startling racket.

“I heard this horrible scratching sound,” she told CTV Vancouver Island on Thursday. “It actually sounded like somebody was trying to break in through the window.”

Alarmed, Boyd said she immediately called her neighbour who then called police. A lone officer responded within minutes and entered the backyard to search for the source of the noise.

“He's a big, burly, young RCMP guy. He had the vest on and everything, and he was a little frightened,” Boyd recalled.

Boyd said she grabbed an ice scraper in case she needed to defend herself from the possible intruder while she waited inside for the officer to investigate.

“I was shaking. I was so scared,” she said.

As backup officers arrived, the responding officer went to the laundry room to see if he could spot the suspect through the window, Boyd said. He heard some movement and shone his flashlight through the window to the area in question.

“They put their flashlights on it and the hands didn’t come up, but the paws came up,” Const. Kevin O’Brien of the Nanaimo RCMP said.

Even though it was caught with its tail between its legs, the beaver made a break for it, escaping into the night.

“The suspect was last seen waddling down Sun Valley Drive and it’s best described as about 12 inches high, somewhat overweight with a large tail and very large, yellow teeth,” O’Brien said.

It’s believed the mischievous rodent is in hiding in the nearby wetlands.

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

https://globalnews.ca/news/4160736/unfounded-nuclear-attack-warning-shocks-osborne-village/

quote:

Some residents in Winnipeg’s Osborne Village were startled Sunday evening to hear what sounded like an emergency alert being broadcast over a loudspeaker.

The alert warned of an imminent nuclear missile threat to Canada.

The Manitoba government tells Global News it did not issue any alerts last night.

In audio recorded in the area, you can hear a loud siren, then a robotic-sounding voice warning of six nuclear missiles headed towards Canada and the United States.

“Due to the uncertain facts of these missiles, all Canadian residents should seek out a fallout shelter immediately,” it said.

It warns Canadian residents to seek shelter underground, to stay away from windows and to tune in to local media.

“Prime Minister Justin Trudeau will be speaking on all stations shortly,” it said.

Jon Lovlin, managing editor of Global News Winnipeg, heard the warning outside shortly after 9 p.m.

“Everyone in the condo was out on their balconies with their phones. They’re talking to their loved ones and relatives saying, you know, ‘are you hearing anything about this? Am I the only one hearing about this?'”

Winnipeg Police arrived in the area around 9:20 p.m. and the audio stopped shortly thereafter.

Constable Jay Murray says they’re still investigating the source of the audio.

“We only have a general idea of where this message came from,” Murray explained. “If you know of a friend who maybe talked about this kind of prank, give us a call.”

Murray said if they are able to track down the culprit, he or she could face charges of causing a disturbance.

The Manitoba government says only the Emergency Measures Organization and Climate Change Canada are authorized users of the emergency alerting system in the province.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

I don't thing being nuked would make Winnipeg any worse.

a primate
Jun 2, 2010

A bunch of people got run over by some asshat in a rental van on a nice day. It sucks.

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

McGavin posted:

I don't thing being nuked would make Winnipeg any worse.

It was a failed marketing stunt for Bethesda's new game, Fallout: Winnipeg

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

DariusLikewise posted:

It was a failed marketing stunt for Bethesda's new game, Fallout: Winnipeg

50's era technology in a city full of mutants? It should just be called Winnipeg because you wouldn't be able to tell the difference.

Reince Penis
Nov 15, 2007

by R. Guyovich
https://twitter.com/Tom_Winter/status/988543422179966977

Wtf hes an Incel :ughh:

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

I'm surprised they've stopped reporting Sam Hyde as the perpetrator every time something like this happens. Maybe just give it a while.

Le Saboteur
Dec 5, 2007

I hear you wish to ball, adventurer..
Man this one is hitting me hard. I don't know if it's the quick tragedies in succession we've had or what but this really loving sucks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Reince Penis
Nov 15, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Le Saboteur posted:

Man this one is hitting me hard. I don't know if it's the quick tragedies in succession we've had or what but this really loving sucks.

Chin up bud, the Leafs may be down 3-2 but I'd hardly call it a tragedy!