Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

FactsAreUseless posted:

Same but the other way around despite having played way more Tetris over the years. Making chains/combos in Tetris makes no sense to me, I can only make Tetrises.

Tbh just focusing on Tetris clears and keeping back to back is fine until you get to a very advanced speed level that I'm certainly not at yet.

Long combos feel loving sweet though especially when you just stumble into a 7 or 8 while downstacking. If you try to keep a level surface and not block holes you can set yourself up for it without actively thinking more than one move ahead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
Do they still give you a tspin bonus? I never got the hang of those.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

corn in the bible posted:

Do they still give you a tspin bonus? I never got the hang of those.
Ya. I've seen videos of people setting them up and they seem pretty easy to pull off but I still can't force my brain to do anything other than a straight stack.

mycophobia
May 7, 2008
tspins are one of the many mechanics ruining modern tetris

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

mycophobia posted:

??????????

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

I just wanted him to expand on the thought.

mycophobia
May 7, 2008

the natural flow of a tetris game traditionally involves stacking for tetrises (i.e., stacking flat on one side and leaving an opening at one end to clear lines in). stacking for a t-spin line clear often involves a completely different strategy (i.e., making a very specific shape for one specific piece often right in the middle of your stack). when you make the bonus for a t-spin line clear significant to the point where you cannot remain competitive without relying on them (as many modern guideline tetris games have) you've basically forced players to adhere to a really unnatural playstyle that doesn't at all resemble traditional tetris.

basically if I want to go up against the best of the best in guideline tetris I can't just play fast and go for tetrises and that's bad

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Splatoon 2.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

mycophobia posted:

the natural flow of a tetris game traditionally involves stacking for tetrises (i.e., stacking flat on one side and leaving an opening at one end to clear lines in). stacking for a t-spin line clear often involves a completely different strategy (i.e., making a very specific shape for one specific piece often right in the middle of your stack). when you make the bonus for a t-spin line clear significant to the point where you cannot remain competitive without relying on them (as many modern guideline tetris games have) you've basically forced players to adhere to a really unnatural playstyle that doesn't at all resemble traditional tetris.

basically if I want to go up against the best of the best in guideline tetris I can't just play fast and go for tetrises and that's bad

I think it's cool that there's different stacking requirements

mycophobia
May 7, 2008
i don't. it's tetris. don't make me do other arbitrary poo poo

mycophobia
May 7, 2008
god I wish tgm2 was in fightcade

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

It's thursday, retards.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

mycophobia posted:

god I wish tgm2 was in fightcade

Isn't it in FC2?

mycophobia
May 7, 2008

In Training posted:

Isn't it in FC2?

last I heard tgm2 runs like absolute poo poo in fba

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Wormskull posted:

It's thursday, retards.

It's a Christian holiday. Chill out and maybe open a Bible for once.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

mycophobia posted:

What are the other mechanics ruining it? Tspins are the only difference between this and traditional old gameboy tetris that I picked up on

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

mycophobia posted:

last I heard tgm2 runs like absolute poo poo in fba

FC2 doesn't use FBA, it's why they rebranded into a new launcher

mycophobia
May 7, 2008

In Training posted:

FC2 doesn't use FBA, it's why they rebranded into a new launcher

I'm pretty sure it does? just a newer version

mycophobia
May 7, 2008

goferchan posted:

What are the other mechanics ruining it? Tspins are the only difference between this and traditional old gameboy tetris that I picked up on

without going too deep into it it's mainly that the rotation system is all jacked up and overly complicated and makes no intuitive sense. also single player is basically pointless given the fact that in most games you can just move or rotate the piece endlessly after it's touched down and it won't lock into place.

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

mycophobia posted:

without going too deep into it it's mainly that the rotation system is all jacked up and overly complicated and makes no intuitive sense. also single player is basically pointless given the fact that in most games you can just move or rotate the piece endlessly after it's touched down and it won't lock into place.

thats how i beat tetris ds

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
I beat meteos ds by wildly swiping the stylus back and forth across the screen

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

I play Marathon mode of PPT while taking shits.

Elusif
Jun 9, 2008

It is finally time to play Monster Hunter World

tao of lmao
Oct 9, 2005

E Equals MC Hammer posted:

It is finally time to play Monster Hunter World

Enjoy it’s a great game.

Been playing GTAV this week on PC. For a five year old game it looks loving great still. Kinda bouncing around between story mode, online, and modded role play servers. Three very unique experiences within the same game.

mycophobia
May 7, 2008
Tatsujin

Pumprag
Jan 29, 2013

First time playing Stardew Valley and passing out from exhaustion on the first day.

Bobby The Rookie
Jun 2, 2005

Pumprag posted:

First time playing Stardew Valley and passing out from exhaustion on the first day.
It's an addictive game for sure.

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

Kuni II & maybe some OW

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

played a lot of BB and im gonna replay sotfs cause its been a while and i miss certain things about it

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

Drippy-goo-yay, mother-gunker!
Ni No Kuni II: Revenant Kingdom

Neurotic Roleplay
May 20, 2005

who knows I have a bunch of games on my pc that I haven't played so maybe I'll fire one of those up

Mr. Sophistication
May 16, 2014

I know this wasn't your original avatar but I just love this game. Cheers, rediscover.
Either a little Fortnite or no gaming for me this Friday

Spoderman
Aug 2, 2004

Going to play BOTW for the first time

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Lumpy the Cook posted:

Ni No Kuni II: Revenant Kingdom

Same. I also started Hellblade

Plebian Parasite
Oct 12, 2012

I'm working literally all day which is a shame because I'm right on the doorstep of the last boss in nnkii

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Spoderman posted:

Going to play BOTW for the first time

i'm jealous. it's great.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

I'm feeling Hitman on PS4, I haven't played it in a while and it's crazy fun.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
More Atelier I guess?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baxate
Feb 1, 2011

Super Mario Galaxy 2 and Dragon Quest IV methinks