Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos
Random question but does anyone know if delivering to a post-office via canada post gets it to you faster or slower than to your home address? Basically do they drop it off at the end of their route? Or does it take a more direct route?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yeast Confection
Oct 7, 2005

cowofwar posted:

Random question but does anyone know if delivering to a post-office via canada post gets it to you faster or slower than to your home address? Basically do they drop it off at the end of their route? Or does it take a more direct route?

Do you mean like using a flex delivery address? I find mine land in the middle of the day in time for me to pickup after work. Better than making a delivery attempt at my house, then sending it back to sort for delivery to the post office pickup the next business day.

RBC
Nov 23, 2007

IM STILL SPENDING MONEY FROM 1888

cowofwar posted:

its delivered to the post office in the morning and you can pick it up when the lazy minimum wage skeezebag at shoppers drug mart scans it after their 5th smoke break

EvidenceBasedQuack
Aug 15, 2015

A rock has no detectable opinion about gravity
To me, "vote buying" occurs when policies and government action target groups of people with strong messaging while at the same time doing very little to help them or at least those who are the most in need.

The legal definition is however. Yet in my mind there's no doubt that the Ontario Liberals intend to get votes for cheap.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

RBC posted:

its delivered to the post office in the morning and you can pick it up when the lazy minimum wage skeezebag at shoppers drug mart scans it after their 5th smoke break

Please do not malign the working class like this :v:

Math You
Oct 27, 2010

So put your faith
in more than steel

RBC posted:

The Canada Post desk at my rexall is staffed by a young woman who is very personable and helpful. I'll be sad when she graduates :(

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
I've been selling poo poo on ebay and the canada post office near my office is run by a Korean family in their convience store. Super friendly and helpful all thr time.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

The GLobe & Mail's long-winded obituary of Peter Munk had time to talk about his building of a fancy yacht port for Saudi princes in Montenegro and how he skiied with Prince Charles, but they couldn't find any room to discuss various murders, rapes and atrocities committed by Barrick and its subsidiaries.

EvidenceBasedQuack
Aug 15, 2015

A rock has no detectable opinion about gravity

eXXon posted:

The GLobe & Mail's long-winded obituary of Peter Munk had time to talk about his building of a fancy yacht port for Saudi princes in Montenegro and how he skiied with Prince Charles, but they couldn't find any room to discuss various murders, rapes and atrocities committed by Barrick and its subsidiaries.

I love hate how Barrick Gold's website just shrugs it off as an inevitable consequence of doing business:

https://www.barrick.com/responsibility/society/human-rights/security/default.aspx posted:

As a result, we may have no choice but to enter into relationships with security forces that have questionable human rights records, over which we have no control. 

It's so hard to exploit nations, man

Stickarts
Dec 21, 2003

literally

eXXon posted:

I almost posted it to the thread. I detect a trend in thinking I’ve read before.

quote:

And as the company’s mining empire expanded, so too did the social criticism, with accusations of abuse at mines in Papua New Guinea and Tanzania drawing protests and reprimands.

But Mr. Munk was unapologetic, and held fast in his convictions that the company was overall a source of good as part of a globalized world of capitalism.

“Someone has got to create and generate wealth,” Mr. Munk said at his last annual general meeting in 2014.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
I dunno that's pretty refreshing compared to the normal PR smoke screen of how they're working with community stakeholders and blah blah blah instead of just being upfront about a business there to make money and the impact on other people is irrelevant.

Good example of how capital externalizes costs so that there can be a net gain in material conditions elsewhere too.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Stickarts posted:

I almost posted it to the thread. I detect a trend in thinking I’ve read before.

That was the shorter news article. Here's the longer one if you don't mind a fawning portrait of a kind moustache-twirling top-hatted capitalist:

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/business/article-peter-munk-the-extraordinary-life-of-a-business-legend/

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
I don't recall seeing this in the thread so if it's a repost sorry but I glanced at our feminist PM's exaltation of a dead man whose company was responsible for the rape of several hundred women and noticed a lot of people tweeting #DelayedIranianApplications and this turns out to be a hell of a problem for a lot of Iranian applicants:

https://ipolitics.ca/2018/03/28/scores-of-iranians-living-in-canada-decry-lengthy-wait-times-for-permanent-residency/

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
And just in case you were feeling good about today anyway, here's some reporting on more released OPP interviews with residential school survivors!

https://newsinteractives.cbc.ca/longform/st-anne-residential-school-opp-documents

love too read comments defending the school system where children choked themselves with a towel for a momentary escape

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Dreylad posted:

And just in case you were feeling good about today anyway, here's some reporting on more released OPP interviews with residential school survivors!

https://newsinteractives.cbc.ca/longform/st-anne-residential-school-opp-documents

love too read comments defending the school system where children choked themselves with a towel for a momentary escape

As long as it still produces journalism like this, don't defund the CBC imo.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
Welp. Here we go...

e: tl;dr: The Liberals are looking to back-door privatize portions of the TTC in the same way they have the new LRT lines.

infernal machines fucked around with this message at 17:23 on Mar 30, 2018

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
Lol Ontario. I'm hoping that the train wreck that is the current privatization boondoggle serves to make people think twice of giving the conservatives a second term here.

ChairMaster
Aug 22, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Does the NDP even have a real chance at being relevant in any capacity in Ontario? I was under the impression that they had no options other than Conservatives or conservatives there.

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

infernal machines posted:

Welp. Here we go...

e: tl;dr: The Liberals are looking to back-door privatize portions of the TTC in the same way they have the new LRT lines.

Oh cool maybe it will actually work then

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

ChairMaster posted:

Does the NDP even have a real chance at being relevant in any capacity in Ontario? I was under the impression that they had no options other than Conservatives or conservatives there.

I guess it depends on what you mean by relevant. They aren't running a full slate of candidates, but they have the chance of maybe propping up a Liberal minority, or in the case of a PC minority, trying to bring down the government and for a coalition with the Liberals (lol, this will never happen). Of course since the Liberals will gladly prop up the PCs there's not much chance of either.

Some of the MPPs are actually quite good though and put a lot of work into drafting and supporting progressive legislation (e.g. Cheri DiNovo, who unfortunately is not running again).

But barring a massive plague wiping out southern Ontario, they will not be forming the government nor will they be the official opposition.

infernal machines fucked around with this message at 19:29 on Mar 30, 2018

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

EvilJoven posted:

Lol Ontario. I'm hoping that the train wreck that is the current privatization boondoggle serves to make people think twice of giving the conservatives a second term here.

This is Canada. People will double down on the cons because clearly whats needed is more privatization to make the initial privatization work properly!

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
Southern Ontario is filled with people who not only don't understand that there's a world of important issues beyond "whatever cuts my commute to my cottage" or "pay as little tax as possible" but become visibly angry if anyone dares point this out to them. Typically, the only reason their lives have been as easy as they are, or at least haven't totally fallen apart is because of their families' connections, and money they inherited or borrowed and can never hope to pay back

Unless there is some kind of massive plague that only targets suburbs there is no hope in this province

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
Just wait it out eventually traffic in Southern Ontario will get so bad one morning a good chunk of the population will just die out in a traffic jam. Hopefully it'll be an afternoon die off of the more wealthy types who all tried to duck out of work a few hours early on a Friday to beat the traffic heading to Muskoka and got caught in an inescapable heat wave after some dickhead crashed his lambo just south of the lovely outlet mall in Cookstown.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
So the Ontario lib budget has apparently started to close the gap with the cons at the polls. Enough people are satisfied in the short term to prevent a majority PC government but not yet enough to stop dougie.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
http://nationalpost.com/opinion/rex-murphy-cheers-for-the-meat-eating-hero-who-took-on-privileged-vegan-bullies

I’m very conflicted. On one hand, I hate Rex Murphy. On the other hand, I really, really hate preachy vegans.

lowly abject turd
Mar 23, 2009
vegan bullies.... right

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN
Not an unreasonable description in this context.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

It's hilarious. gently caress Rex Murphy, but it is very funny.

They're specifically targeting the restaurant because of their marketing about foraging and free range game animals. There's a butcher shop literally across the street from the restaurant, which would seem a better target for a vegan protest, but whatever, someone's got a bug up their rear end about this guy specifically. They've held several protests outside Antler at this point, and more are planned.

The upshot being a small but fairly successful specialty restaurant has got a ton of free marketing and reservations are through the roof. And, uh, people are aware that vegans don't like them, I guess.

Math You
Oct 27, 2010

So put your faith
in more than steel
My aunt shares lots of weird poo poo on Facebook. One was an image of bacon at various levels of doneness captioned "which piece is cooked perfectly?"

Queue 3000 comments of meat is murder and desperate claims that meatless alternatives taste "better", interspersed with the odd "geeze, I just wanted to talk about bacon" which all had 30+ replies of the same self righteous comments. Some of which implied that meat eaters would get cancer (and so, so deserve it).

This wasn't like a meat lovers page or something, just the usual click bait "funny" page which market themselves to old white people. Apparently there is an army of vegans who search Facebook for any reference to meat?

yellowcar
Feb 14, 2010

PT6A posted:

http://nationalpost.com/opinion/rex-murphy-cheers-for-the-meat-eating-hero-who-took-on-privileged-vegan-bullies

I’m very conflicted. On one hand, I hate Rex Murphy. On the other hand, I really, really hate preachy vegans.

Everyone in this story is goddamn retarded.

"These tofu lads are a scary lot."

Rex Murphy: legit terrified of vegans :laffo:

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

yellowcar posted:

Everyone in this story is goddamn retarded.

"These tofu lads are a scary lot."

Rex Murphy: legit terrified of vegans :laffo:

Counterpoint: the chef seems to be an alright guy who's being hounded by a bunch of crazy people for no sane reason.

It is extremely cool and good to mock and taunt preachy assholes of every stripe, but especially vegans.

yellowcar
Feb 14, 2010

I don't know who's dumber: preachy vegans or people upset by preachy vegans

It's both

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe
Ever get yelled at by a vegan wearing leather? It's loving precious when you point that out to them.

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

Stdh.txt

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

EvilJoven posted:

Ever get yelled at by a vegan wearing leather? It's loving precious when you point that out to them.

apparently there is such a thing as vegan leather. it's all goddamn bullshit, but they do swear by it being a thing

Reince Penis
Nov 15, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Reince Penis posted:

I cannot wait to see how fast that high PC vote intention nosedives now that Ford is the face of the party.

Oh yeah that's the stuff baby

(Forum poll so feel free to disagree)

Tippecanoe
Jan 26, 2011

Arivia posted:

apparently there is such a thing as vegan leather. it's all goddamn bullshit, but they do swear by it being a thing

Yes, it's made from vegan cows

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Vegan leather is just pleather, far as I know. I have a wallet made of the stuff, it's nice enough.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
As I said like 50 pages ago I completely get not eating meat because of the ethical concerns

But it shouldn’t extend to eggs and dairy

E: Also I hope it just quietly goes away in 10 years when we can actually effectively grow meat synthetically

TheKingofSprings fucked around with this message at 00:18 on Mar 31, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Reince Penis
Nov 15, 2007

by R. Guyovich
Tim Heidecker is a horse's rear end