Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Reco
Feb 26, 2011

enemy one body to the proximity Zan attack discard the power slap hit.
From a bit of digging around there's better pservers out there that cut out a good chunk of bullshit and keep certain things in like HP teleports, they also have an automated stock of items in the AH

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kaempfer0080
Aug 22, 2011

Certified Weeb

Seems like there isn't really a good FFXI private server out there. Things like XP/speed bonuses, changed death penalties, free gil, etc. are actually unappealing to me. I would prefer an authentic experience. It seems like Nasomi is the closest thing to that, but it's also a server where magic skill was giving double the benefit and BLM were able to solo Dynamis and other end game content.

I want the classic WoW private server experience. Something that feels like it has integrity and authenticity(despite the people running it being horrible disingenuous greedy fucks). And, ya know, a playerbase.

frodnonnag
Aug 13, 2007

kaempfer0080 posted:

Seems like there isn't really a good FFXI private server out there. Things like XP/speed bonuses, changed death penalties, free gil, etc. are actually unappealing to me. I would prefer an authentic experience. It seems like Nasomi is the closest thing to that, but it's also a server where magic skill was giving double the benefit and BLM were able to solo Dynamis and other end game content.

I want the classic WoW private server experience. Something that feels like it has integrity and authenticity(despite the people running it being horrible disingenuous greedy fucks). And, ya know, a playerbase.

If you want the classic pre toau experience of ffxi, just put your balls in a vice and slowly crank that poo poo shut.

pretty soft girl
Oct 1, 2004

my dead grandfather fights better than you
Supernova is a fairly decent private server but it's effectively got a server-wide linkshell thing going on so if you don't like the people it's a struggle

And yeah if there's a universal constant with private servers, the admins always have a hard-on for black mages

pretty soft girl fucked around with this message at 17:48 on Mar 17, 2018

Tanners
Dec 13, 2011

woof

kaempfer0080 posted:

I played KupoFFXI for a while last year and found it to be really nice. The pop was lacking but there was atleast enough people to level without too much pain.

I heard it changed admins recently though so i cant guarantee how it is now.

LiquidFriend
Apr 5, 2005

frodnonnag posted:

If you want the classic pre toau experience of ffxi, just put your balls in a vice and slowly crank that poo poo shut.
And pay me $3,000 for a chance to claim Fafnir.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
What statues drop infinity cores in Dynamis? Is it just the bosses?

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

If you have a problem Yo, I'll solve it

I think so

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

I've only been playing this since January but it's a really good game

frodnonnag
Aug 13, 2007

voltcatfish posted:

I've only been playing this since January but it's a really good game

Stockholm syndrome dot txt.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

frodnonnag posted:

Stockholm syndrome dot txt.

I wouldn't say that. I can definitely see a lot of the elements that may have been annoying quite a bit in the past simply due to number of adventurers you'd have to get in a party to do stuff, but I think it's a great experience now when you manage to work out the formulas. Once I hit 99 I started doing Chains of Promathia content and the whole experience has been quite positive in my eyes. It's certainly one of the more interesting MMOs I've ever played and I've played just about all the big name ones I think?

frodnonnag
Aug 13, 2007

voltcatfish posted:

I wouldn't say that. I can definitely see a lot of the elements that may have been annoying quite a bit in the past simply due to number of adventurers you'd have to get in a party to do stuff, but I think it's a great experience now when you manage to work out the formulas. Once I hit 99 I started doing Chains of Promathia content and the whole experience has been quite positive in my eyes. It's certainly one of the more interesting MMOs I've ever played and I've played just about all the big name ones I think?

Cop was one of the better stories... entirely hidden behind level caps.

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

look, if you didn't spend three hours with your static in sacrarium trying to get a goddamn key to drop from the motherfucking fomors before giving up and pos-hacking behind that piece of poo poo door, did you even really play ffxi

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

World War Mammories posted:

look, if you didn't spend three hours with your static in sacrarium trying to get a goddamn key to drop from the motherfucking fomors before giving up and pos-hacking behind that piece of poo poo door, did you even really play ffxi

This is exactly why I held off doing most of XI's story content until now

With that said gently caress the Altepa Gate, needed to get there for the Savage Blade WSNM and even with the lodestone it's still about a half-hour of running while needing sneak/invis

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

frodnonnag posted:

Cop was one of the better stories... entirely hidden behind level caps.

I just finished up Chains today and yeah, it was some pretty solid storytelling.

Male of the Century
Jan 7, 2004

PISH-POSH!
I recently leveled a new account to 99 and then did every expansion storyline mission to record it all and I can tell you 100% that CoP is still pretty terrible even while clipping through all the bullshit locked doors and moving at 300% speed but the aesthetic and story of it all was just as cool as i remembered.

LiquidFriend
Apr 5, 2005

CoP can be done in less than a day with clipping, fast shoes, hp/sg warp addons and FastCS.

WotG sucks still. No matter what.

frodnonnag
Aug 13, 2007

LiquidFriend posted:

CoP can be done in less than a day with clipping, fast shoes, hp/sg warp addons and FastCS.

WotG sucks still. No matter what.

Lol, wotg is padded with like 3 recaps of past events in the story.

keep it down up there!
Jun 22, 2006

How's it goin' eh?

frodnonnag posted:

Lol, wotg is padded with like 3 recaps of past events in the story.

WOTG was downright embarrassing. They hyped up going back to the past where this cool lore thats driven so much of the story so far happened and we'd get to experience it live! It sounded awesome.

Then they barely cover the war at all, half the story revolves around kids, and they basically don't include any of those cool events at all. And that's not even mentioning the insanely long gaps between content releases that totally killed any kind of momentum.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

keep it down up there! posted:

WOTG was downright embarrassing. They hyped up going back to the past where this cool lore thats driven so much of the story so far happened and we'd get to experience it live! It sounded awesome.

Then they barely cover the war at all, half the story revolves around kids, and they basically don't include any of those cool events at all. And that's not even mentioning the insanely long gaps between content releases that totally killed any kind of momentum.

It's been a while, but didn't it take them like 2-3 years to finish off the WotG story? I feel like they were concurrently releasing Abyssea updates, too.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

I don't know what WotG release was like at the time, but I just ran through the story quickly over the past couple of days and I'd say I enjoyed it. Though I enjoyed the Windurst "side story" more than the "main story", which definitely felt padded with a lot of running around clicking on things. At least it's not nearly as much hassle now with campaign teleports, survival manuals, and home points everywhere. The Windurst story at least did focus on the war itself and events that were talked about in the original Windurst missions.

pretty soft girl
Oct 1, 2004

my dead grandfather fights better than you

It's good to know that that garbage expansion never paid off, everyone I knew stopped playing when they announced the level cap raise to 80 and I always kind of wondered if WotG ever picked up

I'm still annoyed 8 years later that the release content of an expansion about vanadiel world war 1 focused almost exclusively on an unhelpful cat and a dancing half elf

LiquidFriend
Apr 5, 2005

DizzyBum posted:

It's been a while, but didn't it take them like 2-3 years to finish off the WotG story? I feel like they were concurrently releasing Abyssea updates, too.
The level cap was up to 90 by the time they finally finished the storyline. It was a major flop of an expansion, outside of Dancer.

"Hey cool, the past. Okay lets go back to killing Colibri's non-stop after we unlock Dancer."

Cuchulain
May 15, 2007

My tiny godly CoX shall burn forever!
That, that's not fair.

Scholar is ok.

gently caress wotg

keep it down up there!
Jun 22, 2006

How's it goin' eh?

WOTG is fine now that it's complete. It's story isn't terrible, though its certainly one of the weaker expansions, it's just not what was sold and was so drawn out at the time you stopped caring.

I recommend people go through it now that it's done and faster.

taels
Oct 19, 2012

K:CID:X
What was coolwith those 'past zones' is that they were hi level mirrors to the zones on launch and that gave them a sense of danger and excitement again; provided you actually went in them.

Because they were the same places though they weren't as interesting and because there was barely any content and it was already behind a pretty significant difficulty gate it was largely empty and therefore unfun.

They tried to capture the magic of the games world on launch but you can't capture lighting in a bottle.

I did a lot of those "protect this tree fort" things though as they were casual, I was at winding down with my time online and in ffxi

LiquidFriend
Apr 5, 2005

Cuchulain posted:

That, that's not fair.

Scholar is ok.

gently caress wotg
SCH was mostly irrelevant until NNI.

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x38: FLOPPY_INTERNAL_ERROR

The worst story was A Crystalline Prophecy hands down. Doesn't even fit into the rest of the story and then the characters at the end forget it ever happened.

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

WOTG is fine now that it's complete. It's story isn't terrible, though its certainly one of the weaker expansions, it's just not what was sold and was so drawn out at the time you stopped caring.

I recommend people go through it now that it's done and faster.

WotG 2018: 30 hours of labor for a loving earring.

taels
Oct 19, 2012

K:CID:X

Paladine_PSoT posted:

WotG 2018: 30 hours of labor for a loving earring.

It says a lot that cop earrings are still an absolute gear must have 75-99 119 and wotg earrings are not

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

taels posted:

It says a lot that cop earrings are still an absolute gear must have 75-99 119 and wotg earrings are not

They're good but "absolute must have" seems excessive considering I (and I imagine quite a lot of people these days) leveled 75-99 just fine without them

Not sure whether you're referring to the level 30 rings or the Apocalypse Nigh earrings but both apply to the above

Herewaard
Jun 20, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

taels posted:

What? The WotG earring with 250 tp bonus is still really good for a lot of weaponskills

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

The post-WotG quests give you the Cait Sith and Atomos avatars. Are those useful for stuff? I don't really know enough about the game yet.

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

holy poo poo there's an FFXI private server? :eyepop: :eyepop: I am so fuckin stoked. I hope there are enough players to sustain grouping in Valkurm and stuff.

frodnonnag
Aug 13, 2007

Kazy posted:

The worst story was A Crystalline Prophecy hands down. Doesn't even fit into the rest of the story and then the characters at the end forget it ever happened.

Acp is a throwback to the game's opening cinema and resolution to aldo and his sister. Except gently caress you reset button.

Abysseas story is kinda worse. "Abyssea-you failed killing promathia."

Wotg had plenty of stories in the cities, it hit all major plot points of the war and the like, my only complaint is short of lilith, there was no memorable bcnm fights. Lilith also wasnt brought back as a hard mode fight.

There's also the issue of endgame that came out during wotg. It was all excruciatingly poo poo. Sandworm, ixion, legion, the preliminary augment systems, monstrosity, all utter poo poo.

Magil Zeal posted:

The post-WotG quests give you the Cait Sith and Atomos avatars. Are those useful for stuff? I don't really know enough about the game yet.

As the asura servers resident poo poo smn, yes. Both are essential.

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

This Nasomi private server is pretty dope. Everything runs well and there are a lot of players around. It also has a system that scales levels up/down according to server population to make sure there are people to group with.

frodnonnag
Aug 13, 2007

Frog Act posted:

This Nasomi private server is pretty dope. Everything runs well and there are a lot of players around. It also has a system that scales levels up/down according to server population to make sure there are people to group with.

Alternatively there are usually around 2000 people on asura at any time.

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

frodnonnag posted:

Alternatively there are usually around 2000 people on asura at any time.

That costs money though right?

Having said that, wow, I just did a little googling and it sounds like you can go from 0-99 in like two weeks. I opened a ticket with Square to see if they still had my old accoutn from 2003 - they seem to have retained it (last logged in like 2007) but I forgot my secret question so I'm waiting on them to get back to me.

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x38: FLOPPY_INTERNAL_ERROR

frodnonnag posted:

Acp is a throwback to the game's opening cinema and resolution to aldo and his sister. Except gently caress you reset button.

But none of the lore shown actually fits in. Like the "Seed Crystal" thing. It makes no sense.

Abyssea story was great. :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

ToaU was the best story. Fight me.