Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

I was thinking Callidus, but that one works just as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

Artum posted:

Its not even a matter of being dependent on it, but getting stopped part way through setup leaving you critically exposed.

They can't use it during deployment or before the game starts

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat

TheChirurgeon posted:

They can't use it during deployment or before the game starts

As in a maneuver not deployment, i'd probably just headbutt my opponent if they nullified chapter master.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
I'l drop my side of this if only because I obviously lack actual game experience (still building dat army, waiting on the Inceptors + skull heads and fire pads), I just think that the designers are accounting for limited detachments when allocating power.

On another topic: has any book hinted at what Nulls/Culexii are meant to be? My guess has always been psychopaths, both for the lack of emotion and empathy (which forms a lot of the basis for chaos).

One_Wing
Feb 19, 2012

Handsome, sophisticated space elves.
On a completely different topic then - I wish so hard that I had the level of talent to take the new sea elf on giant wave from https://www.warhammer-community.com/2018/03/30/april-white-dwarf-preview/, paint it up as if it was a wave of magma, and use it as an avatar of khaine.

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat

Neurolimal posted:

I'l drop my side of this if only because I obviously lack actual game experience (still building dat army, waiting on the Inceptors + skull heads and fire pads), I just think that the designers are accounting for limited detachments when allocating power.

On another topic: has any book hinted at what Nulls/Culexii are meant to be? My guess has always been psychopaths, both for the lack of emotion and empathy (which forms a lot of the basis for chaos).

Nulls literally don't have souls, this makes you surprisingly powerful in this setting with the only drawback being other people abhor your presence and hate you instinctively, but might be able to work past that. They're not inherently psychopaths or anything and people like bequin in the eisenhorn series and sister alaya in watchers of the throne are great.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Artum posted:

Nulls literally don't have souls, this makes you surprisingly powerful in this setting with the only drawback being other people abhor your presence and hate you instinctively, but might be able to work past that. They're not inherently psychopaths or anything and people like bequin in the eisenhorn series and sister alaya in watchers of the throne are great.

Yeah I know the in-universe reason, just that a lot of 40k's roots are in satire and real-world analogs which made me wonder.

E:

One_Wing posted:

On a completely different topic then - I wish so hard that I had the level of talent to take the new sea elf on giant wave from https://www.warhammer-community.com/2018/03/30/april-white-dwarf-preview/, paint it up as if it was a wave of magma, and use it as an avatar of khaine.

You'd need to do a lot of kitbashing to accurately represent the avatar as drowning in the magma wave (presumably after being shot in the dick by a lasgun guardsman), though.

Neurolimal fucked around with this message at 23:37 on Mar 30, 2018

tallkidwithglasses
Feb 7, 2006
People should just play with power points and unlimited detachments, as GW intended.

One_Wing
Feb 19, 2012

Neurolimal posted:

Yeah I know the in-universe reason, just that a lot of 40k's roots are in satire and real-world analogs which made me wonder.

E:

You'd need to do a lot of kitbashing to accurately represent the avatar as drowning in the magma wave (presumably after being shot in the dick by a lasgun guardsman), though.

I’ll admit that one area in which my painting skills are deficient is how to really evoke “I am about 100 points overcosted” in visual form.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

Artum posted:

As in a maneuver not deployment, i'd probably just headbutt my opponent if they nullified chapter master.

It says it can't be used for those.

The key to this will be like playing against Counterspells in Magic; you have to play around it until they don't have the CP to counter you, which means either avoiding critical CP-dependent moves until later in the game, or feinting with moves that aren't critical to your strategy early to bait out the counter.

I wouldn't want to see counters in more than one or two armies, but I really like it conceptually because it introduces a very interesting mind game/yomi aspect to the game that isn't normally there.

e: Though lol the nastiest possible use is denying your opponent's emergency invasion beam from a dying Monolith/Night Scythe. Prevent a unit from arriving and functionally destroy it and anything left off the table if that's the last one, but depending on the circumstances, you can just not set units up that way during deployment against Dark Eldar

TheChirurgeon fucked around with this message at 23:55 on Mar 30, 2018

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat

TheChirurgeon posted:

I know.

One_Wing
Feb 19, 2012

TheChirurgeon posted:

The key to this will be like playing against Counterspells in Magic; you have to play around it until they don't have the CP to counter you, which means either avoiding critical CP-dependent moves until later in the game, or feinting with moves that aren't critical to your strategy early to bait out the counter.

I wouldn't want to see counters in more than one or two armies, but I really like it conceptually because it introduces a very interesting mind game/yomi aspect to the game that isn't normally there.

e: Though lol the nastiest possible use is denying your opponent's emergency invasion beam from a dying Monolith/Night Scythe. Prevent a unit from arriving and functionally destroy it and anything left off the table if that's the last one, but depending on the circumstances, you can just not set units up that way during deployment against Dark Eldar

See, the whole “opponents literally can’t risk using normal parts of their army’s rules” thing is part of why I think this is so good.

Mef989
Feb 6, 2007

TheChirurgeon posted:

This is my view. It's good, but if your opponent is smart they will do as you say and bait it out or play around it. Counter spells in MtG (and this imo) almost get more power from getting into the opponents head and forcing them to address it rather than just jam down whatever. This will only be absolutely amazing when someone just lets lose their strategem dependant deathstar right into an open counter and let's themselves fall for the "gotcha"

Karl Rove
Feb 26, 2006

Oh man, the Elders are really lovely guys. Their astral projection seminars are literally off the fucking planet, and highly recommended.

Neurolimal posted:

Tau, GK, and Marines were some of the best 7ed armies and few competitive armies that could actually be ran as armies and not, you know, "3 flyrants" or "5 daemon princes".
What timeline are you posting from?

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

One_Wing posted:

See, the whole “opponents literally can’t risk using normal parts of their army’s rules” thing is part of why I think this is so good.

Mef989 posted:

This is my view. It's good, but if your opponent is smart they will do as you say and bait it out or play around it. Counter spells in MtG (and this imo) almost get more power from getting into the opponents head and forcing them to address it rather than just jam down whatever. This will only be absolutely amazing when someone just lets lose their strategem dependant deathstar right into an open counter and let's themselves fall for the "gotcha"

Yeah, though the coolest part about it is that you don't even have to use it--the threat of cancelling a key strategem will prevent your opponents from using their strategems, allowing you to not have to worry about it and use your points late in the game on other stuff, after it's too late for them to use them.

Let the mind games begin!

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
The idea of baiting out couterspells in WH40K feels.... wrong.

That said, I'm willing to entertain feeling wrong if it means that someone netlisting gets hosed really hard because they're following a play-by-flowchart army tactics guide and forget about it or are just really bad at guessing or baiting them out in the first place.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

TheChirurgeon posted:

Yeah, though the coolest part about it is that you don't even have to use it--the threat of cancelling a key strategem will prevent your opponents from using their strategems, allowing you to not have to worry about it and use your points late in the game on other stuff, after it's too late for them to use them.

Let the mind games begin!
Dark Eldar, using fear as a weapon? Get in.

Mef989
Feb 6, 2007

Strobe posted:

The idea of baiting out couterspells in WH40K feels.... wrong.

I mean, to some extent I already do this with psychic denials anyway, using powers I don't care about first to try and bait them into attempting to deny those before the ones I want to succeed.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Karl Rove posted:

What timeline are you posting from?

The Matt Ward era. I admittedly didn't pay as much attention to 40k when that time rolled around.

I'm still amazed that there are people who are into the concept of "the other, other, other Emperor's chosen elite, this time they're psychic, and so uber secret they genocide worlds to stay hidden" beyond whenever it's a FotM.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

Mef989 posted:

I mean, to some extent I already do this with psychic denials anyway, using powers I don't care about first to try and bait them into attempting to deny those before the ones I want to succeed.

I play Tau. What is this 'psychic' you refer to? :v:

Thanqol
Feb 15, 2012

because our character has the 'poet' trait, this update shall be told in the format of a rap battle.

Gyro Zeppeli posted:

I'm looking deeply at AdMech. I've always loved their models, and now ebay is full of cheap Skitarii.

Are they merely just decent or are they the dumpster fire I've been led to believe?

Corrode posted:

Ad Mech aren't top tier but they're not garbage either. Good solid army. Their major problem is their limited unit selection, which leads to them being quite samey (although Thanqol has some ideas on them I've not really considered which might give a very different playstyle).

Admech is rad. I think they're pretty much the perfect army. Even the limited unit selection winds up being cool because it means I can play any forgeworld and any set of tactics for them with the models I have, which serves to make them shockingly adaptable on the table. Everything does exactly what it needs to do and not one step more.

Onager Dunecrawlers with Neutron Lasers are one example. They have exactly enough STR to wound Russes on 3s and exactly enough AP to mean that russes don't get a save at all in response, and their min damage of 3 means that three of them firing at a russ will 100% delete it. So their offensive power is exactly what it needs to be. But their defensive power is -also- what it needs to be - in that they can move and shoot with no penalty. So you can deploy your spidertanks out of LOS and then swing them around a corner with a respectable 8' movement range and delete a russ no problem. From there they've got a 5++ rerolling ones bubble and if they're not killed outright the nearby Dominus can bring one back up to full health in a single repair pass.

It's not a complicated unit but, again as is the theme with AdMech, it fills its tactical role perfectly and not one step more.

And they've got perfectly calibrated counters like this against every possible unit. Destroyers with grav cannons mince superheavy infantry like Custodes or light vehicles like sentinels. Kastellian robots can kill infinity guardsmen - two put down 36 shots wounding on twos and negating armour saves, which is basically 15 dead guardsmen - before you add any of their many potential rerolls and synergies. Sidonian Dragoons are perfect flankers and harassers who absorb crazy amounts of fire for what they cost and if left unattended will wind up in your enemy's tank line. Even Imperial Knights work great with AdMech armies despite/because they have no synergies with anyone else - the rest of the Admech army is somewhat slow and synergistic which means that it needs to advance in a bit of a clump, you can give a Knight an entire flank to itself and it'll move around at a shocking speed and prevent your opponent from concentrating their fire on your fire base. One CP per turn for a 4++ makes the Knight unstoppable.

And while your armies will always be samey in terms of models, it means switching between FW tactics doesn't require any additional investment. For instance, just by adding a few more Destroyers than I normally do I get a fantastic Agrippia list which allows me the craziest overwatch in the game (5+, with two hits on 6's via a relic, which is mathematically equal to destroyers normal BS) and the ability to resurrect a crippled unit of Destroyers. Or I can switch that to Mars, put down a unit of six robots, and add 15 mortal wounds to my existing 108 shots.

People talk poo poo about the AdMech codex being boring but I don't agree with that at all. Ply into it a bit and you can find interesting ways to get a tonne of mileage out of any unit, from a lance of 6 Sidonian Dragoons bringing down a Knight in a single charge, to getting Sicarian Infiltrators to a profile of 2+/5++ 3 STR7 attacks hitting on 2s and doing 3 hits on 5s.

We also have the coolest models in the business. Literally the only thing we lack is a transport.

AdMech is good. Buy in.

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

The bonds of blood transcend all others.
But no blood runs stronger than that of Sanguinius
Grimey Drawer

Thanqol posted:

Admech is rad. I think they're pretty much the perfect army. Even the limited unit selection winds up being cool because it means I can play any forgeworld and any set of tactics for them with the models I have, which serves to make them shockingly adaptable on the table. Everything does exactly what it needs to do and not one step more.

Onager Dunecrawlers with Neutron Lasers are one example. They have exactly enough STR to wound Russes on 3s and exactly enough AP to mean that russes don't get a save at all in response, and their min damage of 3 means that three of them firing at a russ will 100% delete it. So their offensive power is exactly what it needs to be. But their defensive power is -also- what it needs to be - in that they can move and shoot with no penalty. So you can deploy your spidertanks out of LOS and then swing them around a corner with a respectable 8' movement range and delete a russ no problem. From there they've got a 5++ rerolling ones bubble and if they're not killed outright the nearby Dominus can bring one back up to full health in a single repair pass.

It's not a complicated unit but, again as is the theme with AdMech, it fills its tactical role perfectly and not one step more.

And they've got perfectly calibrated counters like this against every possible unit. Destroyers with grav cannons mince superheavy infantry like Custodes or light vehicles like sentinels. Kastellian robots can kill infinity guardsmen - two put down 36 shots wounding on twos and negating armour saves, which is basically 15 dead guardsmen - before you add any of their many potential rerolls and synergies. Sidonian Dragoons are perfect flankers and harassers who absorb crazy amounts of fire for what they cost and if left unattended will wind up in your enemy's tank line. Even Imperial Knights work great with AdMech armies despite/because they have no synergies with anyone else - the rest of the Admech army is somewhat slow and synergistic which means that it needs to advance in a bit of a clump, you can give a Knight an entire flank to itself and it'll move around at a shocking speed and prevent your opponent from concentrating their fire on your fire base. One CP per turn for a 4++ makes the Knight unstoppable.

And while your armies will always be samey in terms of models, it means switching between FW tactics doesn't require any additional investment. For instance, just by adding a few more Destroyers than I normally do I get a fantastic Agrippia list which allows me the craziest overwatch in the game (5+, with two hits on 6's via a relic, which is mathematically equal to destroyers normal BS) and the ability to resurrect a crippled unit of Destroyers. Or I can switch that to Mars, put down a unit of six robots, and add 15 mortal wounds to my existing 108 shots.

People talk poo poo about the AdMech codex being boring but I don't agree with that at all. Ply into it a bit and you can find interesting ways to get a tonne of mileage out of any unit, from a lance of 6 Sidonian Dragoons bringing down a Knight in a single charge, to getting Sicarian Infiltrators to a profile of 2+/5++ 3 STR7 attacks hitting on 2s and doing 3 hits on 5s.

We also have the coolest models in the business. Literally the only thing we lack is a transport.

AdMech is good. Buy in.

I’ll totally say Admech are tempting me pretty badly right now as I’m growing more disillusioned with Guard model range.

Thanqol
Feb 15, 2012

because our character has the 'poet' trait, this update shall be told in the format of a rap battle.

Pendent posted:

I’ll totally say Admech are tempting me pretty badly right now as I’m growing more disillusioned with Guard model range.

I love Guard thematically but their range is ancient and metal. If they do plastic guardsmen I'll come around. You can generally run Guard tactics with AdMech and be fine so if that's the tactical style you want, go for it.

One_Wing
Feb 19, 2012

Looks like the codex related content embargo has dropped cause the tabletop tactics Drukari intro battle report has been posted.

It’s quite something.

https://youtu.be/ChhwdS08HbY

I am so very not loving reassured

Mef989
Feb 6, 2007

Strobe posted:

I play Tau. What is this 'psychic' you refer to? :v:

I don't remember where I read this idea, but I love the suggestion of kroot getting fleshed out to include shaman so that Tau get a psychic phase.

tallkidwithglasses
Feb 7, 2006

One_Wing posted:

Looks like the codex related content embargo has dropped cause the tabletop tactics Drukari intro battle report has been posted.

It’s quite something.

Please have a meltadown and convince me to give GW more money.

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

In the grim future, there is only commerce.
Honestly how dare they make me want to buy a box of wracks.

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!

One_Wing posted:

It’s quite something.

I realize this is a tough question based on the codex just coming out... but do the battle reports from this channel accurately represent good lists and games? Or is it more of a sponsored deal where they are playing to show off the model range?

Booley
Apr 25, 2010
I CAN BARELY MAKE IT A WEEK WITHOUT ACTING LIKE AN ASSHOLE
Grimey Drawer

JIZZ DENOUEMENT posted:

I realize this is a tough question based on the codex just coming out... but do the battle reports from this channel accurately represent good lists and games? Or is it more of a sponsored deal where they are playing to show off the model range?

Its about 60/40. Depending on who's playing they have some decent players (the main guy won heat 1 of the london GT iirc), but they do usually make concessions to having fun lists rather than being super competitive. Their preview games like this one do want to try to show off new units/strategems, but they don't go out of their way to use them if it would lose them the game.

Miles O'Brian
May 22, 2006

All we have to lose is our chains
Hyped about Dark Eldar. I was getting a bit frustrated with some of the infantry kits as you can tell they are not quite as modern, with join lines in weird and annoying places.

They look super rad when they're finished but I wasn't really enjoying the build process. Giving me a second wind here.

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat

JIZZ DENOUEMENT posted:

One of those fellas was the guy who shocked everyone by winning the first heat of the GT a few months back with that ultramarines army with 6 tactical squads. They were good enough to make the internet poo poo itself inside out trying to explain that he was wrong and it didnt count because etc.

tallkidwithglasses
Feb 7, 2006

Booley posted:

Its about 60/40. Depending on who's playing they have some decent players (the main guy won heat 1 of the london GT iirc), but they do usually make concessions to having fun lists rather than being super competitive. Their preview games like this one do want to try to show off new units/strategems, but they don't go out of their way to use them if it would lose them the game.

Sell your collection and buy a DE army, they’re the only playable faction now.

R0ckfish
Nov 18, 2013

Mef989 posted:

I don't remember where I read this idea, but I love the suggestion of kroot getting fleshed out to include shaman so that Tau get a psychic phase.

Just add Nicassar for floating psyker bears! If they want to give Tau interactivity in more phases then the obvious solution is to expand auxiliaries.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Artum posted:

One of those fellas was the guy who shocked everyone by winning the first heat of the GT a few months back with that ultramarines army with 6 tactical squads. They were good enough to make the internet poo poo itself inside out trying to explain that he was wrong and it didnt count because etc.

Can you elaborate on this story, because that both sounds hilarious and I quite like watching the TT guys battle reports because they seem like cool 'hams and not regular (read awful) 'hams.

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

The bonds of blood transcend all others.
But no blood runs stronger than that of Sanguinius
Grimey Drawer

hooman posted:

Can you elaborate on this story, because that both sounds hilarious and I quite like watching the TT guys battle reports because they seem like cool 'hams and not regular (read awful) 'hams.

If you dig back on their channel Lawrence does a breakdown on that list. At the end of the day he won because he’s a very, very skilled player though.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
If we get a Kroot subfaction I really hope they in some way steal traits/special rules. They somewhat edge that way with the delf strat that lets an archon get more buff when they slay a character, give Kroot strats like that and make the base units average to compensate.

Kroot shapers could be a risk/reward thing where they're even weaker, but can spread stolen buffs to X kroot within range each turn.

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat

hooman posted:

there's not a huge amount to tell.

He won with an army that everyone was so convinced was bad people were running around insisting he only won because he didn't come up against xyz list, except it turned out he explicitly did and won.

Crini
Sep 2, 2011
Can anyone give me some feedback on this 1000pt Guard list? I'm just looking to play casual games. I have very little experience actually playing Warhammer, so I don't expect to be very good. I just want to push my plastic army men around a table and roll some dice, winning is secondary. What I don't want is to have a list that isn't any fun to play against or is cheesy.

My entire philosophy for this list is to shoot at everything that moves and most of everything that doesn't. I realize that with Guard if the enemy comes into contact with me then we have a less than ideal situation.

++ Battalion Detachment +3CP (Imperium - Astra Militarum) [22 PL, 432pts] ++

+ HQ +

Company Commander [2 PL, 35pts]: Chainsword, Display Astra Militarum Orders, Grand Strategist, Kurov's Aquila, Plasma pistol, Warlord

Primaris Psyker [2 PL, 46pts]: Force Stave, Nightshroud, Psychic Maelstrom

+ No Force Org Slot +

Regimental Doctrine: Astra Millitarum/Imperium

+ Heavy Support +

Heavy Weapons Squad [3 PL, 33pts]
. Heavy Weapon Team: Mortar

+ Elites +

Special Weapons Squad [2 PL, 45pts]: 3x Guardsman
. Guardsman W/ Special Weapon: Plasma gun

Special Weapons Squad [2 PL, 60pts]: 3x Guardsman
. Guardsman W/ Special Weapon: Meltagun

Special Weapons Squad [2 PL, 39pts]: 3x Guardsman
. Guardsman W/ Special Weapon: Grenade Launcher

+ Troops +

Infantry Squad [3 PL, 58pts]
. 5x Guardsman
. Guardsman w/ Vox-caster: Vox-caster
. Heavy Weapon Team: Heavy bolter
. Sergeant: Laspistol

. 5x Guardsman

. 5x Guardsman

++ Spearhead Detachment +1CP (Imperium - Astra Militarum) [35 PL, 570pts] ++

+ HQ +

Tank Commander [12 PL, 197pts]: Display Tank Orders, Heavy Bolter
. Command Battle Tank: Battle Cannon

+ No Force Org Slot +

Regimental Doctrine: Cadian

+ Heavy Support +

Basilisks [7 PL, 108pts]
. Basilisk: Heavy Bolter

Heavy Weapons Squad [3 PL, 33pts]

Leman Russ Battle Tanks [10 PL, 180pts]
. Leman Russ Battle Tank: Battle Cannon, Heavy Bolters, Lascannon

+ Troops +

Infantry Squad [3 PL, 52pts]
. 7x Guardsman
. Guardsman W/ Special Weapon: Flamer

++ Total: [57 PL, 1002pts] ++

Created with BattleScribe

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!

Miles O'Brian posted:

Hyped about Dark Eldar. I was getting a bit frustrated with some of the infantry kits as you can tell they are not quite as modern, with join lines in weird and annoying places.

They look super rad when they're finished but I wasn't really enjoying the build process. Giving me a second wind here.

I feel the same way about the actual troops. However I love most of the vehicle and coven monster models. The reavers are dope as heck. And I looooove hat cool futuristic daft punk / motorcycle helmet with the big visor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NovemberMike
Dec 28, 2008

@Crini
A few things pop out to me.

First, you're just Astra Militarum. Picking a regiment gives you a free boost.

Why does the warlord have a plasma pistol? Do you plan on using him aggressively?

What's the plan with the special weapon squads. I don't see a transport, do you have a plan to get them into range?

Your infantry squads all have vox casters. That's a little overkill when you can just take a couple of extra platoon commanders and spread your orders out with extra bodies (and extra orders). Vox casters are expensive for what you get.

Grenade launchers are kind of mediocre.

If you're going to add weapons to a tank, add them to the tank commander first (especially at lower points). Also, consider how much moving and shooting you plan on doing, it can really lower the value of the sponsons depending on your regiment.