Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I was actually about to ask if enemy variety ever, y'know, happens. I've seen people talk about an extremely small number of enemy types and I have no idea what's exaggeration and what's accurate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Each kingdom adds about 5 or so more enemy types until the after third one then that's about it.

Sakurazuka fucked around with this message at 18:35 on Mar 30, 2018

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Hoo boy, okay, that one's gonna be a problem for me :negative:

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

Sakurazuka posted:

Each kingdom adds about 5 or so more enemy types until the after third one then that's about it.

Gah

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Edited because I forgot the water place adds a few water enemies and the science place some robots

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Well I finished it, what a weird disjointed ending. Given that the game seems so... lacking in areas I wonder if it was supposed to have a DQ V style switch to playing Ferdinand at some point

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

The entire end sequence is 100% classic Dragon Quest and weird as heck.

Also literally every enemy in the game

*Slimes
*Slime Skeletons
*Fairies
*Wing Drake
*Kind of Bigger Wingdrake
*Big Ape
*Chimera Centaur thing
*Humanoid Robot
*Dragon Quest Robot w/ Morph Ball
*Your pet hamster
*A dragon
*A jellyfish w/ gun
*Those things from Tremors

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

The entire end sequence is 100% classic Dragon Quest and weird as heck.

Also literally every enemy in the game

*Slimes
*Slime Skeletons
*Fairies
*Wing Drake
*Kind of Bigger Wingdrake
*Big Ape
*Chimera Centaur thing
*Humanoid Robot
*Dragon Quest Robot w/ Morph Ball
*Your pet hamster
*A dragon
*A jellyfish w/ gun
*Those things from Tremors

You forgot about not-orcs and those dog things (assuming pet hamsters is those chinchilla things). There's also some ancient stone golems, and annoying birds who like to spam at you from range.

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

regardless of all of those enemies, you pretty much mostly fight skeletons, slimes and chinchillas

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Caesar Saladin posted:

regardless of all of those enemies, you pretty much mostly fight skeletons, slimes and chinchillas

I dunno, I feel like I fought a lot of those spiky dogs too.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

So is there any explanation for why the post credits scene seems to make out that the stuff in the intro never happened?

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Magic.

Valleyant
Jul 23, 2007

That darn catte
Pretty disappointed with chapter 8.

I kind of figured Evan would forgive the guy for murdering his dad/attempted genocide but I really didn't expect him to get away scott free with it. In terms of "bad ruler" it's a pretty big step above "Cheats at gambling", "lovely Silicon Valley guy" and "vague groundhog's day".

Roland is the absolute best though.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

I had to laugh when Chapter 8 was wrapping up and Leonhard's ghost manifested to reconcile with Mausinger, then he loving vanished without one spare word for his own son.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Really Pants posted:

I had to laugh when Chapter 8 was wrapping up and Leonhard's ghost manifested to reconcile with Mausinger, then he loving vanished without one spare word for his own son.

They shared a MANLY NOD which is worth a thousand words.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

I can't deny that.

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica
I'm actually liking this game. How do the other recent JRPGs like xenoblade or FF15 compare? I havnt played JRPGs in a while, are their stories equally fucktarded?

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

MOVIE MAJICK posted:

I'm actually liking this game. How do the other recent JRPGs like xenoblade or FF15 compare? I havnt played JRPGs in a while, are their stories equally fucktarded?

Xenoblade 2 has that same Saturday morming cartoon feel but it actually feels like a story.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

NnK2 tries hard to evoke the feel of children's fairy tales & bedtime stories--fanciful imagery, simplistic wholesome themes, and absolutely no attention to detail. Most JRPGs will be at least a little better in that respect, if it's a problem.

If story is what you want most and you don't mind something older, cheaper, & turn-based, I'd say Trails in the Sky is your best bet.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Really Pants posted:

NnK2 tries hard to evoke the feel of children's fairy tales & bedtime stories--fanciful imagery, simplistic wholesome themes, and absolutely no attention to detail. Most JRPGs will be at least a little better in that respect, if it's a problem.

If story is what you want most and you don't mind something older, cheaper, & turn-based, I'd say Trails in the Sky is your best bet.

Eh Sky is about interpersonal relationships. It’s plot is kind of weak.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

MOVIE MAJICK posted:

Xenoblade 2 is kind of... really grating honestly.It dives hard into generic action anime territory for better and worse but I just disliked most of the cast and the gameplay so ehh. This isn't the universal opinion though so...

FF15 has a fairly barebones plot (though it holds together and unlike NnK2 characters actions do make sense even if the reasons aren't apparent at first. Especially now with the patched in extra content and the DLC shoring up characterisation and making some information more prominent than it was in the base game) but the writing rides on the strength of it's main characters being incredibly likeable (which is important as 80% of the playtime is them dicking around an open world doing silly poo poo) and a villain who is just a complete joy every time he's on screen (his English VA puts in an all time great performance as far as video game villains go). And having a really chill open world that hit me like a drug.

A Sometimes Food fucked around with this message at 10:06 on Mar 31, 2018

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Did they fix Gladious being a huge rear end in a top hat outta nowhere in the second part or explain the weird random rear end skip in time that gets dropped and never mentioned again?

Cause if not then I'm not sure if I'd call it that much stronger.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Did they fix Gladious being a huge rear end in a top hat outta nowhere in the second part or explain the weird random rear end skip in time that gets dropped and never mentioned again?

Cause if not then I'm not sure if I'd call it that much stronger.

On the former, I read Gladio as the kind of person that reacts to stress and loss by being a complete poo poo. It was the same at the start of the game. I mean Gladio is just kind of an rear end in a top hat. On the latter I'm not sure what you're talking about so either I missed it or they fixed it when I played.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR
How does the actual game play of FFXV compare to NNKI 2?

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Lorini posted:

How does the actual game play of FFXV compare to NNKI 2?

FFXV's world structure takes a lot of inspiration from Western-style open worlds rather than the classic JRPG world map that NNK2 has. That comes with the good (wide-open places to explore, beautiful vistas, riding chocobos all over the place) and the bad (lots of low-effort side quests and invisible walls).

The combat is still an action-RPG, but really different. It doesn't have light and heavy attacks like NNK2, just one attack button, but Noctis (the main character) can equip a wide variety of different weapon types and switch at any time, including mid-combo. Directional inputs matter somewhat, too. Noctis also has superpowers--he can become immaterial to phase through attacks (basically you dodge attacks just by holding a button, but it costs MP) and teleport around by throwing his weapon and warping to it. That's also a good way to attack enemies. Your other three party members are mostly AI-controlled but you can call on them to do special moves which Noctis can then chain off of, and in turn your party members can chain off of things Noctis does, like his warp strikes or hitting an enemy in the back.

They patched in the ability to switch to the other three party members in combat once the DLCs where you play as those characters were released. Originally you could only control Noctis. What's cool about it is that each character plays drastically differently. Gladiolus has big, slow attacks and a timed parry system that amps up his damage when he successfully blocks. Prompto uses guns so playing him is like playing a third-person shooter. And Ignis has elemental daggers with different combo strings and a ton of mobility--I'd say he plays closest to Noctis, but with much more AoE capability.

Magic is there in the form of crafted items that are basically elemental grenades. It's pretty simplistic but very powerful and can sorta trivialize some fights.

NNK2 reminds me a lot of a simpler, but still fun, take on a Tales game, while FFXV is honestly kind of its own beast. It has a little Kingdom Hearts in its DNA, but I wouldn't really say they play similarly.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR
Thanks!!! It looks like it needs more combat skill than I have unfortunately. I can barely get through the bosses in NNK2.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Lorini posted:

Thanks!!! It looks like it needs more combat skill than I have unfortunately. I can barely get through the bosses in NNK2.

Ehh, I wouldn’t say so. It’s a pretty easy game. It has a more complex combat system but you can really button mash your way through anything in the main story and just spam items to stay alive. The complexities come in when you do post-game challenge stuff, or if you just want some variety to have fun. It’s also really easy to massively over level the story by doing side quests and you can have Ignis cook you food that drat near doubles your stats.

And if all else fails it has two difficulty modes so you can turn it down to easy

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

A Sometimes Food posted:

On the former, I read Gladio as the kind of person that reacts to stress and loss by being a complete poo poo. It was the same at the start of the game. I mean Gladio is just kind of an rear end in a top hat. On the latter I'm not sure what you're talking about so either I missed it or they fixed it when I played.

Late game spoilers for FFXV When you're on the train and Noct starts seeing Prompto as whats his name. At least originally there's no explaining what's going on and a loadng screen just says "He uses his time manipulating magic to take advantage of a wrinkle in time to pretend to be Prompto and confused poor Noctis! But there's no time to turn around! A king most going on!" or some poo poo and it's just ??? what the gently caress.
It never gets brought up again and it explains nothing so it's just kind of there.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Late game spoilers for FFXV When you're on the train and Noct starts seeing Prompto as whats his name. At least originally there's no explaining what's going on and a loadng screen just says "He uses his time manipulating magic to take advantage of a wrinkle in time to pretend to be Prompto and confused poor Noctis! But there's no time to turn around! A king most going on!" or some poo poo and it's just ??? what the gently caress.
It never gets brought up again and it explains nothing so it's just kind of there.

Yep, that's the part where I put the game down for a while.

I already knew the whole story and all of that, I know the villain's deal, and that scene still felt like it had absolutely no respect for taking the player's time. There's this big setpiece that leads up to a weirdo twist and then it's dropped, that's it, done.

My biggest issue with FFXV actually has to do with the DLC. The DLC is really very good and has satisfying story beats. But the problem is that, especially in the case of Prompto and Ignis's DLCs, the story in them is actually really important to those characters' development in the last parts of the game, and it's locked away in DLC. If those scenes had been in the main game I bet the story from Chapter 9 onward would flow much, much better than it does.

I wish Ignis's DLC didn't spoil the ending because playing it when it actually happens adds a lot to the following scenes.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Speaking of DLC has Bamco made any mention of what the season pass for this actually includes?

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

I can't find anything beyond "two upcoming expansions."

Pulsarcat
Feb 7, 2012

I finished the game, and overall it was it was pretty fun, but I had some pretty big issues with it.

I'll get the good out of the way first.
Despite being a bit too easy I did enjoy the combat, it was fast paced and easy to figure out and I really liked the major boss fights.
And the ability to tweak things like resistances and damage bonuses outside of combat is something I want to see in more games.

I also loved the goofy army battles.

The Kingdom building was addicting as hell, I loved how the crafting aspect would just tell straight up where to find all the bits you needed to make gear and more importantly which buildings produced them.
By the end of the game I was rolling pretty much entirely in stuff I made myself.

Now the bad, and it's mostly plot related.
First of all I honestly didn't really care about the party members outside of Roland and Evan.

People have mentioned they really didn't have much motivation for joining you, and while that's true that's not what bothered me.
No, what bugged me is how little they actually did, Tani had only one or two moments, but largely disappeared after chapter 5 and Bracken mostly just used SCIENCE! to help out a couple times.
And they were the lucky ones, Batsu and Leander mostly just stood around and commented on things.
And on top of that, all of their backstory was front loaded before they joined you and they had basically zero character development afterwards.

But even that isn't what bugged me the most, no what truly bugged me was the fact your party was made up of five and a half humans.
It's absolutely baffling to me when RPGs created a vibrant world full of colourful races and let you play as none of them, and it's even more baffling in this game since the entire story was about uniting all the various kingdoms and races.

Where was the mouse sorceress who grudgingly joins you at the beginning, comes to care for Evan over the course of the story and is confronted with a choice between the king she loves and her own people?
Where is the loyal, but somewhat naïve dog soldier who joins to stop a massive injustice in his own town, and stays when he sees what's truly at stake?
Where is the Merwoman who rebels against oppressive laws and fights for a world where everyone is free?
And most importantly of all, where is the adorable robopal who hangs out making cute little beep boop sounds?

What I'm saying here is if your game features such a diverse collect of species you should take a page out of Breath of Fire's book and have your main party be the fantasy equivalent of the BK Kids club.

And finally, the plot stuff surrounding the citizens you recruit for your kingdom, or rather, the fact that there wasn't any.

How many of you played the Suikoden series?
For those of you who haven't, the games were actually very similar, something bad happens at the start forcing the main character to create a home base, recruit over a hundred people and eventually save everything.
With 108 characters the way you recruited a lot of them could be summed up as "find jerk, bring item/perform chore, recruit jerk".
But just as often it didn't work like that, instead what would happen is, you would arrive at a place with the intent of getting it to join you, you would meet a bunch of unique characters and together you would all save the day and after wards most of the people you met would join you.

And because of this your home felt alive, because you knew most of the people there and had gotten involved with them.

In this game, it doesn't work like that at all, in fact despite what's going on in their town the unique towns people don't get involved at all.
No, instead your all human party comes in, saves the day with little to no help, and then later you swoop in and vacuum up all the citizens who have a unique model.
Now add to this you can't really explore your kingdom and well, you end up having a charming and colourful world where your own kingdom is the least charming and colourful place.

Anyways, despite my bitching I did enjoy the game, but unlike say Suikoden 2 I don't think I'll come back and replay this game.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

How the gently caress do you do these skirmish's that need you to catch a enemy? I'm getting seriously ticked off because I don't know what the game actually wants me to do. I'm level 50+ and mowing through enemies as fast as possible, tried to ignore enemies outright and just nothing is working and the guys Im chasing just teleport to the end and insta fail me.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

How the gently caress do you do these skirmish's that need you to catch a enemy? I'm getting seriously ticked off because I don't know what the game actually wants me to do. I'm level 50+ and mowing through enemies as fast as possible, tried to ignore enemies outright and just nothing is working and the guys Im chasing just teleport to the end and insta fail me.

How did you get that high-level in skirmishes anyway? The level goals for these feel really wonky for me.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

OddObserver posted:

How did you get that high-level in skirmishes anyway? The level goals for these feel really wonky for me.

I never swapped off the NPC's that I liked and read a trophy description of "complete 50 skirmishes"

Did 50 of them randomly then found out it *actually* meant 50 UNIQUE ones so now I'm overleveled and just trying to find flags.

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011
I finished Chapter 5! It all felt really arbitrary, the dungeon kinda blew and something about that tea time kid Evan visits every so often is starting to piss me off and I'm not entirely sure I can articulate why.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

I never swapped off the NPC's that I liked and read a trophy description of "complete 50 skirmishes"

Did 50 of them randomly then found out it *actually* meant 50 UNIQUE ones so now I'm overleveled and just trying to find flags.

So what was your 'never switch off' party? I went for the spear dog girl with a damage bonus for archers to serve as sort of a front line, and three squads of archers who had archer buffing effects. I dunno if it was the most effective thing I could've done, but it was pretty funny.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Infinity Gaia posted:

So what was your 'never switch off' party? I went for the spear dog girl with a damage bonus for archers to serve as sort of a front line, and three squads of archers who had archer buffing effects. I dunno if it was the most effective thing I could've done, but it was pretty funny.

I just had one of each because I thought that the game might demand something more of me at some point. I had the two sky pirate guys around from the start for a long rear end time but I kind of hate their designs so when I got into late game I swapped them out for other people and never looked back.

Marlene (Bow)
Yo Ho-Ho (Spear)
Drew (Hammer)
Ya Pi (Sword)

I just kind of walk around holding square and stuff blows up. I don't even need to use skills because I'd rather just buy in reinforcements.

Pulsarcat
Feb 7, 2012

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Which skirmish in particular? I know I had one that I failed like four times called something like Criminal capture: Bandit gang.
If it's that one I can help.

And my squad is

Ya Pi
Yo Ho-Ho
Moggy May
and Marlene

Pulsarcat fucked around with this message at 05:38 on Apr 1, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Pulsarcat posted:

Which skirmish in particular? I know I had one that I failed like four times called something like Criminal capture: Bandit gang.
If it's that one I can help.

And my squad is

Ya Pi
Yo Ho-Ho
Moggy May
and Marlene

Yeah it's the Bandit Gang capture. There's another one I messed up by a river but only got that to spawn once

• Locked thread