Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

s.i.r.e. posted:

It's the Shawn Lane paradox, they can play like motherfuckers but their music is so hard to stomach.

The Franz Liszt paradox

There was a handful of violin composers who did the same thing: "this song features the highest note and lowest note on the violin, the longest note is a hemi-semi-demi-quaver and also has a note that technically cannot be played on a violin but I'm just that good."

Edit: Paganini is who I'm thinking of
Video to show I'm being a little sarcastic
https://youtu.be/vPcnGrie__M

Jonny Nox fucked around with this message at 14:24 on Mar 29, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

That made me feel super incompetent with my instrument thx

Rugoberta Munchu
Jun 5, 2003

Do you want a hupyrolysege slcorpselong?
Needs a Stratocaster body to qualify.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

I caught up with a dude I had been building pedals with when we were both new at it. He has a company now and sells rebranded Tube Screamer and Fuzz Face clones (amongst other clones). That poo poo is sort of depressing if you are into building/using pedals.

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Jonny Nox posted:

fun fact: that guy's grandson was the drummer for mr bungle

cdc posted:

Accidentally bought this because I got a good deal on it.

Posting it here because it's a purple flame maple top with gold hardware and bat inlays.

Plays and sounds great though.

lol is that the cradle of filth guy's signature model

cdc
May 28, 2007

To you, Baldrick, the Renaissance was just something that happened to other people, wasn't it?

The Muppets On PCP posted:

lol is that the cradle of filth guy's signature model

yep, sure is

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Jonny Nox posted:

The Franz Liszt paradox

There was a handful of violin composers who did the same thing: "this song features the highest note and lowest note on the violin, the longest note is a hemi-semi-demi-quaver and also has a note that technically cannot be played on a violin but I'm just that good."

There's a strange of realm of people who are really good at doing something, over doing it or having super weird rear end tastes. So for instance you have Michael Angelo Batio who plays fast but his guitar never shuts the gently caress up, or Shawn Lane who played electric guitar on a level no one else will ever get to writing lame-rear end elevator jazz music.

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

s.i.r.e. posted:

There's a strange of realm of people who are really good at doing something, over doing it or having super weird rear end tastes. So for instance you have Michael Angelo Batio who plays fast but his guitar never shuts the gently caress up, or Shawn Lane who played electric guitar on a level no one else will ever get to writing lame-rear end elevator jazz music.

it's a corollary to how there's an optimal level of studying before diminishing returns kick in and eventually your brain just starts jumbling into mush whatever new info you're trying to cram in there, the same works with practicing an instrument as pertains to musical taste

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

it's a corollary to how there's an optimal level of studying before diminishing returns kick in and eventually your brain just starts jumbling into mush whatever new info you're trying to cram in there, the same works with practicing an instrument as pertains to musical taste

The world of high fashion seems to be the same way, where you diverge away from practical stylish clothing to pieces of trash glued to models. It's just nonsense.

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

cdc posted:

Accidentally bought this because I got a good deal on it.

Posting it here because it's a purple flame maple top with gold hardware and bat inlays.

Plays and sounds great though.

Hey, I had one of those, except with active pickups (EMG). drat nice player!

BDA
Dec 10, 2007

Extremely grim and evil.
https://pittsburgh.craigslist.org/msg/d/rockford-fosgate-fender/6545536144.html

I don't think this guy understands how negotiation works.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.

"I'm gonna start things at $400 but there's probably gonna be at least a few people who will offer more because this is such a sweet axe. We'll see how it goes."

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

he's selling specifically to people who understand the awesome danger of Rockford Fosgate, that's all

Rugoberta Munchu
Jun 5, 2003

Do you want a hupyrolysege slcorpselong?
First thing I'd do is buy mahogany knobs to improve tone.

BDA
Dec 10, 2007

Extremely grim and evil.
http://customshop.seymourduncan.com/slug/
48k DCR what the goddamn gently caress

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

The djent crowd is getting out of control

Doomy
Oct 19, 2004

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

personally attacked rn

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.
To be fair, those switchers are awesome because you can program presets with them, not just because they are true bypass. One button press = lots of stuff can change at once = less tap dancing.

(not that this will actually stop people from tap dancing more than they normally would)

(no, I do not own one)

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

I really want barefoot buttons but they’re stupidly expensive

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
I play barefoot. It's awesome.

1000 Brown M and Ms
Oct 22, 2008

F:\DL>quickfli 4-clowns.fli
I do too, but the only pedal I use with any regularity is a tuner

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Replace all of that poo poo with an HM-2 and a DS-1.

Done.

Verizian
Dec 18, 2004
The spiky one.

KozmoNaut posted:

Replace all of that poo poo with an HM-2 and a DS-1.

Done.

That's not how you spell SF300
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uBib5SBjI1I

Not the greatest fuzz ever but considering you can pick up a sealed, new one for £10 from any number of ebay sellers it's a must have pedal. Hell if you're worried about breaking the lovely behringer plastic case just rip the guts out and stick it in a better one or buy an armful and swap them out as they break because it's gonna be at least £50 to find another fuzz that's as good as this one.

Doomy
Oct 19, 2004

Here’s a photo of my pedal “board” since I’m not one to throw stones while living in a glass house:

Now that you mention it I wouldn’t mind a couple of those big plastic stomp buttons, or an altoid. I’ve got the JM and Telecaster with coily cable covered already so I might as well lean into it.

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.

Kilometers Davis posted:

That made me feel super incompetent with my instrument thx

Paganini will do that to you.

Most classical audiences know when to applaud and when not to but sometimes a pizzicato variation just owns so hard and the performer pulls it off perfectly-

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hsJdLv38fy8&t=187s

Catch his "that was pretty cool huh" face

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
lol $160 on reverb for an fz-2 (the pedal that behringer is a ripoff of) and that's significantly cheaper than ebay

good grief

BDA
Dec 10, 2007

Extremely grim and evil.

lol $160 on reverb for an fz-2 (the pedal that behringer is a ripoff of) and that's significantly cheaper than ebay

good grief

I found a 2008 thread on the seymour duncan forum from a guy who found one in a pawn shop for $20 and was asking if it was any good. I sure the hell hope he snagged it.

Verizian
Dec 18, 2004
The spiky one.
Sometimes even broken FZ-2's sell for £50+ because people buy them and swap the innards with the SF300 or custom parts then relist it as "modded" for the much higher price.

BDA
Dec 10, 2007

Extremely grim and evil.
Scalloped fretboards are kinda stupid music poo poo to begin with but of all the guitars to scallop...
https://reverb.com/item/10950334-teisco-et-200-1960-s-sunburst-with-scalloped-fretboard

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Anime Reference posted:

Scalloped fretboards are kinda stupid music poo poo to begin with but of all the guitars to scallop...
https://reverb.com/item/10950334-teisco-et-200-1960-s-sunburst-with-scalloped-fretboard

Why. :cripes:

Schpyder
Jun 13, 2002

Attackle Grackle

Anime Reference posted:

Hey, I had one of those Teiscos waaaaay back in the day!

It was the biggest piece of poo poo instrument you could possibly imagine.

BDA
Dec 10, 2007

Extremely grim and evil.
Maybe if you'd scalloped the fretboard it would've unlocked its potential.

Gringostar
Nov 12, 2016
Morbid Hound

GreatGreen posted:

To be fair, those switchers are awesome because you can program presets with them, not just because they are true bypass. One button press = lots of stuff can change at once = less tap dancing.

(not that this will actually stop people from tap dancing more than they normally would)

(no, I do not own one)

i had one built with 2 loops and an amp channel switch and it owns being able to switch between clean/dirt/delay+mod/wah+boost or fuzz all at one location

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Verizian posted:

Not the greatest fuzz ever but considering you can pick up a sealed, new one for £10 from any number of ebay sellers it's a must have pedal. Hell if you're worried about breaking the lovely behringer plastic case just rip the guts out and stick it in a better one or buy an armful and swap them out as they break because it's gonna be at least £50 to find another fuzz that's as good as this one.

Counterpoint: it’s one of THE greatest fuzzes ever. The Boss FZ-2 (this is a clone of that) creates sub-genres the way the HM-2 did. Considering it’s a Univox Superfuzz on lots of crack and meth it has a great pedigree.

BDA
Dec 10, 2007

Extremely grim and evil.
The FZ-2 is the Electric Wizard fuzz which ought to be all the recommendation anybody needs.

Oscar Romeo Romeo
Apr 16, 2010

Doomy posted:

Here’s a photo of my pedal “board” since I’m not one to throw stones while living in a glass house:

Now that you mention it I wouldn’t mind a couple of those big plastic stomp buttons, or an altoid. I’ve got the JM and Telecaster with coily cable covered already so I might as well lean into it.

I need to sort this buggery out.

That photo is from about... four or five years ago? The only change since then is occasionally using a wah pedal and sometimes trying to squeeze an eq pedal in. I'd be better off ditching the the whole board and getting something that wasn't designed for the purpose of only loading it with BOSS stuff.

darkwasthenight
Jan 7, 2011

GENE TRAITOR

Verizian posted:

SF300 into a Bad Monkey has been my secret sauce for about six or seven years now. Wish they came in a sturdier box but you can literally afford to buy spares, and I just have one sat in my bug-out studio bag in case I get asked for fuzztones or whatever. Roll the bass off Mode 1 for vintage tonebender sounds or push it for big muff stoner stuff, push the treble on Mode 2 for pseduo-octave sounds, AND you've still got a 2 band clean boost on Mode 3. Oh, and it only needs a new battery once a year... And it's bright orange. Can't lose at that price.

Edit: I have one of those Teisco/Kays too. I think everyone had one at one point. The pickups are surprisingly beefy and I like it for one afrobeat/world gig I do occasionally. Not sure it's a gigging guitar but I've used it on a few tunes where character was more important than intonation.

darkwasthenight fucked around with this message at 00:34 on Apr 1, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Verizian
Dec 18, 2004
The spiky one.
You can also jam the mode switch between positions one and two to get the ultimate fuzz sound that mixes a mid scoop and mid boost tone with near flawless layering of harmonics.