Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

nrook posted:

Arkeus actually sounds way more impressive and godlike than Arceus. Why didn't they just write the name with a k to begin with?

They admitted their mistake when naming Silvally's ability, at least.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

tom bonsly

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Geode-/oo/de.

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

oddium posted:

tom bonsly

I'll raise you Beautiflee

and Cutieflee

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe

less laughter posted:

Buddy, ally, hmm... :abrathink:

how long has this been a smiley? also what thread is buying pokemon smileys

Lant
Jan 8, 2011

Muldoon

Chill Penguin posted:

Can anyone suggest a 4th mon for my Battle Tree Doubles squad? I currently have:

If you haven't, go breed some pokemon with synchronize and get modest, adamant, & jolly (you probably want to get every nature eventually as well). Then go get a gold bottle cap (the easiest way is to beat every surfing mini game) and catch either a modest Tapu Koko or jolly (or adamant) Landorus. If you get Landorus, go back to Heahea City and talk to Professor Burnet in the lab for the Reveal Glass, then use that on Landorus to turn him into Landorus-T. Level their EVs (Koko 252S.Attack 252 Speed, Land-T 252Attack 252 Speed) and then go SOS chain Chanseys from ambush encounters off the 2 bushes in the south to lvl100. Congrats now not only do you have something to help you in battle tree but you now also have a very good and viable competitive pokemon.

TL:DR, Tapu Koko or Landorus-T.

If you want to hit me or someone else up as well, Hidden Ability Incineroar is also very good.

Lant fucked around with this message at 00:25 on Mar 31, 2018

Hustlin Floh
Jul 20, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
It's pronounced Wig-lee-tueph, with a long "u".

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

Lant posted:

If you haven't, go breed some pokemon with synchronize and get modest, adamant, & jolly (you probably want to get every nature eventually as well). Then go get a gold bottle cap (the easiest way is to beat every surfing mini game) and catch either a modest Tapu Koko or jolly (or adamant) Landorus. If you get Landorus, go back to Heahea City and talk to Professor Burnet in the lab for the Reveal Glass, then use that on Landorus to turn him into Landorus-T. Level their EVs (Koko 252S.Attack 252 Speed, Land-T 252Attack 252 Speed) and then go SOS chain Chanseys from ambush encounters off the 2 bushes in the south to lvl100. Congrats now not only do you have something to help you in battle tree but you now also have a very good and viable competitive pokemon.

If you want to hit me or someone else up as well, Hidden Ability Incineroar is also very good.

I think legendaries are guaranteed to have 3 perfect IVs, so a gold bottle cap is likely a waste. You can farm regular bottle caps by:

1) Fishing
2) Hunting for shards on Isle Aphun on Pokepelago (you can exchange 30 shards of any one color for a bottle cap in Festival Plaza)
3) Find someone on Festival Plaza offering a 2-Star Treasure Hunt. Make that person a VIP. Add their Treasure Hunt to your plaza and immediately visit it - the first prize is always a bottle cap. You can keep 'adding' their Treasure Hunt to your plaza (just have it replace itself) and visiting it for another bottle cap. Comes out to about 150-200 coins per bottle cap.

Its much easier snagging 3 regular caps than one gold one.

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you
Lando T is a dog or a cat.
Torn T is a bird.

What is Thund T? A weird cat ape? A dragon thing? Help.

Lant
Jan 8, 2011

Muldoon

Dienes posted:

I think legendaries are guaranteed to have 3 perfect IVs, so a gold bottle cap is likely a waste. You can farm regular bottle caps by:

1) Fishing
2) Hunting for shards on Isle Aphun on Pokepelago (you can exchange 30 shards of any one color for a bottle cap in Festival Plaza)
3) Find someone on Festival Plaza offering a 2-Star Treasure Hunt. Make that person a VIP. Add their Treasure Hunt to your plaza and immediately visit it - the first prize is always a bottle cap. You can keep 'adding' their Treasure Hunt to your plaza (just have it replace itself) and visiting it for another bottle cap. Comes out to about 150-200 coins per bottle cap.

Its much easier snagging 3 regular caps than one gold one.

I have like 30 golds and 5 normals, if you can do Battle Agency golds are much easier. Big if tho, Battle Agency is a bitch to do. You naturally can just buy both tho like you said if you also do Battle Agency.

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe

Lant posted:

I have like 30 golds and 5 normals, if you can do Battle Agency golds are much easier. Big if tho, Battle Agency is a bitch to do.

I have about 10 golds I think, and 999 normals. I just VIP'd a player with a 2-star Treasure Hunt and for a while there every time I levelled up I overwrote the Treasure Hunt and then added it back again. 100 FC per bottle cap. I am level 50 at the battle agency but I can't be bothered to play it just to farm gold bottle caps when the regular ones are so easy to get.

It's so easy to get bottle caps this way that the shard cave at poke pelago is basically entirely pointless, even after they boosted the number of shards you get from it in USUM.

Hammerite fucked around with this message at 00:44 on Mar 31, 2018

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

What the gently caress is with Beldum's catch rate?? I got him but Christ almighty that took a while. I don't even know what I'm doing, I've just never used this line before.

Lant
Jan 8, 2011

Muldoon
I like that Beldrum also has Take Down so if you false swipe him he just kills himself.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Lant posted:

I like that Beldrum also has Take Down so if you false swipe him he just kills himself.

Joke's on him, I swapped out my False Swiper and forgot to teach it to anyone else.

Chill Penguin
Jan 10, 2004

you know korky buchek?

Lant posted:

I haven't caught any of the legendaries in US yet. I have all the synchronizers, but how do you know which one to bring with you through the wormhole? I would love to have a powerful Lando-T.

Chill Penguin
Jan 10, 2004

you know korky buchek?

less laughter posted:

That's not what zeitgeist means.

Please, enlighten me.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

EthanSteele posted:

Lando T is a dog or a cat.
Torn T is a bird.

What is Thund T? A weird cat ape? A dragon thing? Help.

he's my friend

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

actually thundrus T sucks but regular thundurus is my friend

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

A dragon. They need a fourth one that's a turtle.

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you

oddium posted:

actually thundrus T sucks but regular thundurus is my friend

That is ok, I will be his friend in your stead. Even if I do not know what he is I will stand by him.

U.T. Raptor
May 11, 2010

Are you a pack of imbeciles!?

HopperUK posted:

What the gently caress is with Beldum's catch rate?? I got him but Christ almighty that took a while. I don't even know what I'm doing, I've just never used this line before.
It has one of the lowest catch rates in the game (the same as most legendaries, I think?) for... reasons :shrug:

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

the genies are cool and its pronounced silvally

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.

It's because it's a robot and its powerful AI figures out how to break out really quickly. :crossarms:

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

nrook posted:

Arkeus actually sounds way more impressive and godlike than Arceus. Why didn't they just write the name with a k to begin with?

I'd probably have been more receptive if the pronunciation had been Arkeus, with the first half of the name being based off Archaic

Are-KAY-us
ARE-key-us

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

if beldumb is so smart why is it just a arm

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

ark-eus sucks. gods have smooth crisp names like jesus or seth or sylvester

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

U.T. Raptor posted:

It has one of the lowest catch rates in the game (the same as most legendaries, I think?) for... reasons :shrug:

In Gen 3 you could only get it as a girt so they might not have bothered to change the catch rate I guess. :shrug:

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

oddium posted:

tom bonsly

rip

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

Vinylshadow posted:

I'd probably have been more receptive if the pronunciation had been Arkeus, with the first half of the name being based off Archaic

Are-KAY-us
ARE-key-us

It would make more sense if it was spelled more like Archaic, or like a mix of Archaic and Chaos. Archaos.

English has so many ridiculous grammar rules that it's really difficult to make up new words based on other words and have everyone know how to pronounce them. I tend to go with whatever pronunciation makes sense and doesn't sound dumb. I pronounce Milotic similar to "Melodic" rather than My-LOW-tic.

Lant
Jan 8, 2011

Muldoon

Chill Penguin posted:

I haven't caught any of the legendaries in US yet. I have all the synchronizers, but how do you know which one to bring with you through the wormhole? I would love to have a powerful Lando-T.

This guide will help a lot. Landorus needs both Tornadus and Thundurus in your party to spawn, which again I can let you borrow one if you have the other. Koko is quite a bit easier to get overall since you don't need to do the wormhole minigame a bunch.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben
I always assumed it was AR-kay-us because that's how you'd pronounce it if it were classical Latin. I also realized the other day that it's probably lop-unny (lop + bunny), but it just seems like it should be low-punny.

I never watched the anime, so I have no idea if I'm mispronouncing some of these or not.

White Light
Dec 19, 2012

oddium posted:

if beldumb is so smart why is it just a arm

It's not an arm, it's a dumbbell

Beldum = Dumbel

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben
I named a Beldum I caught PhimosisJones and wonder traded it to some Japanese person who surely won't appreciate it.

Zuzie
Jun 30, 2005

I got this for a Ratatta on GTS.

It's kind of a shame that they can't go back to Pokémon names that are just creatively spelled versions of common names like Muk, Drowzee or Dewgong. Or naming Pokémon after celebrities like Bruce Lee and Jackie Chan (but they probably won't since the whole Yuri Geller incident...).

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

Parrotine posted:

It's not an arm, it's a dumbbell

Beldum = Dumbel

it's one of metagross' four arms and one of metang's two

Zuzie posted:

It's kind of a shame that they can't go back to Pokémon names that are just creatively spelled versions of common names like Muk, Drowzee or Dewgong.

or cloyster

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

Rollersnake posted:

I always assumed it was AR-kay-us because that's how you'd pronounce it if it were classical Latin. I also realized the other day that it's probably lop-unny (lop + bunny), but it just seems like it should be low-punny.

I never watched the anime, so I have no idea if I'm mispronouncing some of these or not.

Why would you assume Classical Latin pronunciation rules for a Pokemon?

I was once at a game store looking at some of the Pokemon plushies and a teen girl started talking to me about Pokemon and that she was still missing Why-vel-TEAL and Ex-er-NEE-as.

I was like "What? I don't know those Pokemon... wait, do you mean Yveltal and Xerneas?"

It's weird to hear someone pronounce Pokemon names in a way you weren't expecting, so you have to think about what Pokemon they might be talking about.

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

U.T. Raptor posted:

Nintendo subsists on our tears.

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

Hey, man, I distinctly remember this being an episode of Spongebob. :colbert:

Ever since "bee-doo-ff" I've decided the anime has no idea how pronunciation works anyway.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Imagine if pokémon either kept their Japanese names or were pronounced literally like their cries, whether it's the anime or game versions

If only for Solrock to be named "Blblblbl"

Then you'd have to carry around an orchestra if you ever wanted to pronounce Kriketune correctly

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022
Surely you could just carry around the Kricketune in that case.