Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

Grognan posted:

what happens if the building is full of mad science without safety protocol.

Torgue? Torgue, Torgue Torgue. TORGUE!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
I don’t really want to get too close to the infantry. But I’m in a tricky position; either get close to infantry or make myself a target for maybe all of the enemy mechs with only move mods to help me.

Is everybody onboard with advancing fast and decisively?

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer

Grognan posted:

Something wonderful.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Grognan posted:

The grandest experiment of all

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

chktshadeclaw posted:

I can't seem to edit it, is that normal?
I did have a question for the thread - would it be better to run or jump to 1133? I'd be using my full mp both ways, for a total distance of five hexes, but I'm leaning toward jumping.

I forgot to set the edit privileges. It was late. Fixed now I think.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
PTN I wish you all the luck in the world keeping track of what's what on this one because with 8-12 literal carbon copy mechs I'd be making mistakes left and right heh.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

Affi posted:

I don’t really want to get too close to the infantry. But I’m in a tricky position; either get close to infantry or make myself a target for maybe all of the enemy mechs with only move mods to help me.

Keep in mind the mech on the left has almost no weapons that actually do damage- It's got all heat generators (Flamers can do either I guess but they're all really short range).

I made a pic with ranges marked off:

Outside the yellow hexes the Hellfire cannot damage you.
Orange hexes are medium range for the medium lasers from the Sphinx, which also means it's very unlikely to land a hit with it's huge pile of them if you're outside those.

IIRC PTN treats all enemy units starting on the map first turn as if they had run with a +2 move mod, and since these clanners are crappy pilots, they're not going to have great shots yet either. They're going to be needing 6es before even accounting for range, your movement, or any cover or forests.

I almost feel bad for these poor schlubs since the Sphinx and Hellfire are about to eat fire from at least 4 mechs a piece shooting with guns that are definitely not pea shooters.

e: The real comedy would be if the Hellfire is packing only inferno missiles for those SRMs.

Gwaihir fucked around with this message at 15:02 on Mar 30, 2018

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

Gwaihir posted:

IIRC PTN treats all enemy units starting on the map first turn as if they had run with a +2 move mod

Depends on the map, I usually count them as having moved their full walking MP in a straight line unless they have reason to have not been able to do so (such as: because they were standing in a bunch of cave entrances 'guarding' them like morons)

These guys have no move mods, go nuts.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
:getin: :getin: :getin:

I'd maximize your shots this turn goons. If you can, walk to shoot the Hellfire or Sphinx, you want to make the most of any situation where the enemy doesn't have a move mod. If that hellfire lives for any length of time in range of you it's going to be exceptionally annoying due to the whole plasma and flamers flying everywhere potentially crimping your heat capacity.

Gwaihir fucked around with this message at 16:29 on Mar 30, 2018

Farseli
Sep 28, 2009

This is what I live for. This is the purpose of living, for those who have no life.
Just keep in mind that the JagerMech and the Mad Dog look like they have some good overwatch positions behind low cover. Being reminded that the Hellfire can only hit me with heat convinces me to run to the woods instead of jumping.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
I'm not sure how the map tiers work, are the elevations in the upper level additive to the lower ones? Or are they just overlapping.

Farseli
Sep 28, 2009

This is what I live for. This is the purpose of living, for those who have no life.
The lower map shows the bottom edge of the upper map's hexes and it looks like height 0 on the upper map is height 3 for the lower.

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

"Nothing a shitload of bleach won't fix"

Grognan posted:

The watermelon get's squished.

Now if only I could remember which Battletech novel that bit was from.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

PoptartsNinja posted:

Shoot the building with your PPC :ssh:

Yeah, I'd have gotten there eventually ;)

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Farseli posted:

The lower map shows the bottom edge of the upper map's hexes and it looks like height 0 on the upper map is height 3 for the lower.

This is correct, I didn't want to click 3 times on every single hex to fix the elevations but all of the 'height 0' hexes on the upper map are height 3.

MJ12
Apr 8, 2009

Zaodai posted:

are there any weird rules for the pilot TSM activating or is that basically just always on?

Cyborg TSM uses the original formulation of triple-strength myomer, the sort which is always on but can be defeated by anti-TSM gas.

This is largely because few people are going to pack anti-TSM gas solely to gently caress with cyborgs, especially since if you have a launcher for that and dedicating ammo to killing cyborgs you can just hit them with frag missiles instead, which are probably more effective all told.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
I am hideously bad at diagramming vertical LoS in my head vs horizontal but I think that puts the Vulture out of LoS from most things because of the long hill in front of it, but not the Hellbringer.

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

jng2058 posted:

You'd only be able to go 7 hexes to 1831 because you wouldn't have the extra MP to make it into the water. That's okay, though, because you'd still get the +3 to be hit for moving 7 hexes. You'd end up with 8's on your HPPC and TSEMP and 10s on the APGs if you alpha strike. The Sphinx would need 9s to hit you with his(?) ER Larges and 11's for the wall of ER Mediums because you'd be a couple of hexes into Short Range for the ERLs. With all those woods on either side of you, you'd probably be okay from anyone else's fire. You couldn't warcrime the infantry, but otherwise it seems viable unless there's some movement priority thing I'm forgetting where you'd bounce off the back of my 'mech or something.

Yeah, it could work.

Anybody mind if I switch my plan to running forward seven and alpha’ing the Sphinx?

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

So far, only nine of us have orders listed on our spreadsheets. Remember our first orders are due around midnight tomorrow night! If you don't have time to submit orders yet, now is a good time to ask for an extension, which PTN is usually pretty good at permitting.

Affi posted:

The infantry out front have a maximum range of 3, and I think despite their ACE status they are very likely to stay in their buildings (given PTN suggested to shoot their buildings). I'm closing to exactly 3 hexes with a walk order, in order to get my gauss into short range for maximum warcrimes. They can do a maximum of 9 damage if all their troops are alive when shooting, and they'll get decent shots on me, but my intent is that we wipe them out entirely this turn so we leave nothing behind us as we advance. Also since I'm driving one of the mechs in the rightmost lance (red shoulders), I haven't got too good shots on the mech in 2624 (there's either forest or terrain in the way for all the available sightlines, I believe - best shot is through partial cover) or the mech in 1824 (from height 2 terrain I might be able to see over the heavy woods in 1629-1928... but I doubt it, and I don't want to move to e.g. 2034/2033 because then the L22 building in 2234 blocks LOS to the troops).

So long story short, I think closing with these troops out front is OK, and I'm not advancing at maximum speed this turn. Once we start tangling with protomechs then definitely we should re-evaluate just how close we want to get.

More broadly, I agree with advancing quickly. Here's my tentative orders:

quote:

MOVE PHASE:
WALK 3 hexes from 2038 to 2035, end facing 2034 (4 MP)
TORSO TWIST as necessary to fire:

FIRING PHASE:
IF the infantry that began the turn in 2335 (Clan Militarized Police platoon number... 1? Probably?) are still in their building and not all dead: FIRE rHeavy PPC at building in 2335, secondarily fire 2x AP gauss at the infantry.
OTHERWISE IF the troops are in LOS and can be hit on a 12+ or better and are not all dead: fire rHeavy PPC and 2x AP gauss at infantry
OTHERWISE IF the troops are not in LOS or cannot be hit on a 12+ or better or are all dead, and if it can be hit on a 12+ or better fire rHeavy PPC at mech in 2624 (2526 probably blocks this shot?).
OTHERWISE IF the mech in 2624 is out of LOS or cannot be hit on a 12+ or better, fire rHeavy PPC at mech in 0624 (18 hexes I believe, and maybe hex 0825 doesn't block LOS?)

PHYSICAL COMBAT PHASE:
Kick any enemy that my mech can kick. Is this too vague? Kick the troops if they can be kicked. Those troops, the blue helmet guys who were in 2335. Stomp the bastards.

And just to explain my contingencies: I never want to shoot a 13+ to hit, unless I explicitly want to just to gain heat; and I always want to leave a contingency to kick an enemy, and while there's ACEs within any possibility of my target move hex (or even a hex I could wind up in if I gently caress up my move orders/run into an ally) I want to make sure I have an order to kick them. I also don't want to needlessly fire at dead enemies, and I don't know when I'm going in the turn order and can already see another ally is also shooting at the troops, so maybe they'll all be dead. And finally whenever the LOS is a bit ambiguous I want to make sure I don't waste a firing turn because I thought I had LOS when I actually didn't.

e. Hey PTN. how tall is the building in 2335?

Leperflesh fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Mar 30, 2018

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Also standard first-turn-of-a-mission reminder that having your orders in the googledoc doesn't count as submitting them, you still have to send them to PTN, the doc is just for planning and coordination.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Leperflesh posted:

e. Hey PTN. how tall is the building in 2335?

L5

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Ahah, so with +2 terrain, it's not even possible to just directly jump on top of it to intentionally collapse it, even if doing so wasn't already a poor idea due to the leg damage and falling prone.

But also, that's 5 levels of building gonna come down, so yeah.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.
The turn planning spreadsheet and the strategy discussion doc have not yet had input from Affi, theJJ, or Chronojam, so I'm just putting those links out there again.

Leperflesh posted:

MOVE PHASE:
WALK 3 hexes from 2038 to 2035, end facing 2034 (4 MP)
TORSO TWIST as necessary to fire:

FIRING PHASE:
IF the infantry that began the turn in 2335 (Clan Militarized Police platoon number... 1? Probably?) are still in their building and not all dead: FIRE rHeavy PPC at building in 2335, secondarily fire 2x AP gauss at the infantry.
OTHERWISE IF the troops are in LOS and can be hit on a 12+ or better and are not all dead: fire rHeavy PPC and 2x AP gauss at infantry
OTHERWISE IF the troops are not in LOS or cannot be hit on a 12+ or better or are all dead, and if it can be hit on a 12+ or better fire rHeavy PPC at mech in 2624 (2526 probably blocks this shot?).
OTHERWISE IF the mech in 2624 is out of LOS or cannot be hit on a 12+ or better, fire rHeavy PPC at mech in 0624 (18 hexes I believe, and maybe hex 0825 doesn't block LOS?)

PHYSICAL COMBAT PHASE:
Kick any enemy that my mech can kick. Is this too vague? Kick the troops if they can be kicked. Those troops, the blue helmet guys who were in 2335. Stomp the bastards.

I'll be submitting something very similar to this, only aimed at the infantry on the left from 0735 or 0835.

Lemniscate Blue fucked around with this message at 22:49 on Mar 30, 2018

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.
EDIT: Double posting is rude, sorry.

Teledahn
May 14, 2009

What is that bear doing there?

Pretty sure PTN doesn't care for conditional orders based on to-hit #s. Conditional based on LOS and 'is my target alive?' I think are okay?

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Yeah, conditionals are so you don't waste a turn of firing on something that's already dead or was an ACE that moved out of your LOS.

Ardlen
Sep 30, 2005
WoT

I thought conditionals like "only fire if it is possible to hit" were okay, and that's equivalent to saying you want to shoot on 12s or better.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Ardlen posted:

I thought conditionals like "only fire if it is possible to hit" were okay, and that's equivalent to saying you want to shoot on 12s or better.

I think PTN has mentioned that he doesn't accept to-hit-based conditionals before because it adds a lot of extra and unnecessary steps to his turn resolution. At any rate, the information for a player to calculate their own to-hits are available in the post and for matters of LOS they can always ask. I could swear PTN processed a few shooting orders against impossible targets instead of following to-hit-based conditionals before.

I don't want to put words in his mouth but I believe the tone of his response was something along the lines of, "I'm already crunching a lot of numbers and you only have to worry about calculating your own to-hits, please work with me here people."

PoptartsNinja posted:

I won't accept to-hit based secondary targets, so if conditionals include all weapons I'll stop at the first one that's partially achievable.

Oh.

Runa fucked around with this message at 02:49 on Mar 31, 2018

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
I won't accept to-hit based secondary targets, so if conditionals include all weapons I'll stop at the first one that's partially achievable.

It's complicated but nothing is moving after the players do.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

I will absolutely take "unless to-hit is X or worse" conditions if they're all or nothing (or a specific group of weapons) but secondary targets must be declared at the outset and that secondary target can't also be the primary target. I won't accept contingencies on a per-weapon basis.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Lemniscate Blue posted:

The turn planning spreadsheet and the strategy discussion doc have not yet had input from Affi, theJJ, or Chronojam, so I'm just putting those links out there again.

I'll be submitting something very similar to this, only aimed at the infantry on the left from 0735 or 0835.

I've been busy today but will be on that tomorrow afternoon, I'm here so don't worry.

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

Mezzanon posted:

Anybody mind if I switch my plan to running forward seven and alpha’ing the Sphinx?

This is what I am going with:

Legion #7

Movement

Run Forward in a straight line 7 hexes to 1831 (stops me right before the water)

Shooting

Fire PPC, TSEMP Cannon, and one AP Gauss Rifle at the Sphinx in 1824 (this will put me (with running) at +9 heat for TSM right?)

Additional Orders: If anything ends up in melee range: Kick it.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker

Mezzanon posted:

(this will put me (with running) at +9 heat for TSM right?)

33 heat, 6 short but no penalties. 2 for running, 20 for the rHPPC, 10 for the TSEMP and 1 for the APGauss. It's late, I'm wrong.

AJ_Impy fucked around with this message at 05:23 on Mar 31, 2018

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
33 -24 should be 9!

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker

Gwaihir posted:

33 -24 should be 9!

Check below the 12-24 sinks to the 0-30 heat indicator. Yeah, not reading things correctly.

AJ_Impy fucked around with this message at 05:24 on Mar 31, 2018

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
What am I missing here? These mechs don't have any special heat stuff that I can see so it should just be business as usual for heat?

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

AJ_Impy posted:

Check below the 12-24 sinks to the 0-30 heat indicator.

The 0-30 heat indicator is where the overflow is stored. When a 'Mech hits 30 (after heatsinks), it automatically shuts down. It's not the maximum you can generate in a turn.

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
Will be getting orders in soonish

the JJ
Mar 31, 2011
I exist, will be ordering soon. Did I miss how to tell the different lance mates apart? They all look the same to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ardlen
Sep 30, 2005
WoT

the JJ posted:

I exist, will be ordering soon. Did I miss how to tell the different lance mates apart? They all look the same to me.
Each goonlance has a different color (white, green, and red). Within the lance, that color is in different places: left shoulder only, right shoulder only, both shoulders, and head.

Ardlen fucked around with this message at 09:53 on Mar 31, 2018

• Locked thread