Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

Well, I haven’t logged on in a month or two but I started it up again today to check out the new areas. Except after it downloaded the new stuff I got an error saying the game isn’t supported on my OS when I try to open the launcher. This is on a Mac using Steam, which is how I’ve always played it. I haven’t installed any updates or anything on my computer since the last time I played. I suppose I could try reinstalling it, but from what I remember it takes an insanely long time to fully download everything.

I just wanted to see Dale... :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR

Dr. S.O. Feelgood posted:

Well, I haven’t logged on in a month or two but I started it up again today to check out the new areas. Except after it downloaded the new stuff I got an error saying the game isn’t supported on my OS when I try to open the launcher. This is on a Mac using Steam, which is how I’ve always played it. I haven’t installed any updates or anything on my computer since the last time I played. I suppose I could try reinstalling it, but from what I remember it takes an insanely long time to fully download everything.

I just wanted to see Dale... :(

They've admitted the Mac client needs some polishing up, I would check the forums though as there are a few work arounds. If none of those work, yeah you might want to re-install from the website this time or Steam again.

This update is really really good. I should be questing but there's 20 new species of fish and King Thranduil told me I can do anything I want in his crystal tree mansion because his son saw me kill loads of orcs.

Let's try to avoid spoilers for a while, I'll just say in terms of gear: The chest armor you get from the book quest is a significant upgrade and most of the new barter items are for crafting recipes, a lot of jewelry, a few armor sets. So if you're in Mordor and struggling, barter for gloves or legs first.

extra stout fucked around with this message at 11:19 on Mar 9, 2018

Brave New World
Mar 10, 2010
Patched up and logged in last night for the first time in months. I'm plesantly surprised at how much I'm liking the new UI/Character Selection screens! My main is still at Pelenor Field, so I have a lot of stuff to catch up on.

Fried Sushi
Jul 5, 2004

Brave New World posted:

Patched up and logged in last night for the first time in months. I'm plesantly surprised at how much I'm liking the new UI/Character Selection screens! My main is still at Pelenor Field, so I have a lot of stuff to catch up on.

When I heard they were updating the Character select screen I was hoping they were adding the ability to sort your characters, sadly disappointed. Other than that I really like the update.

Brave New World
Mar 10, 2010

Fried Sushi posted:

When I heard they were updating the Character select screen I was hoping they were adding the ability to sort your characters, sadly disappointed. Other than that I really like the update.

Yeah, people have been asking for that feature for years. So many other games can do it, why not here? It sucks having a crafting alt at the top of the list.

jalapeno_dude
Apr 10, 2015
After months of trying to push my way through Talath Ului, getting discouraged, ragequitting, and going back to FFXIV, I finally succeeded in grinding my way through Nargroth tonight. (My poor red-line Hunter can handle 2 signatures if I'm paying attention, but if I get sloppy or accidentally pull another mob it all goes to poo poo. Plus there's a hole in the level geometry that I managed to hit and insta-"die to misadventure" at least twice.) It was definitely worth it; I unlocked the capstone instances for the region, a new Allegiance quest, and the next few chapters of the Black Book of Mordor. The storytelling in this game continues to be great; it's a pity they seem to have forgotten everything they knew about dungeon design. (I don't love their choice to make landscape questing harder, but I can respect it; what really infuriates me is that we're back to the whole "retrace your steps through a camp/dungeon three or four times" thing. It's like the Chetwood all over again!) Hopefully the rest of Agarnaith will be less painful and I can finally unlock the Allegiance dailies/weeklies.

jalapeno_dude fucked around with this message at 09:35 on Mar 13, 2018

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR
To avoid spoiling anything I'll say that Mordor is half grindy darkness but one of the more fun and unexpected questlines is in Agarnaith as well as Seregost, which you need to run up through the gates into the middle to unlock the current easiest high loot end game instance.

Also the Black Book questline goes from good to perfect in the new quest pack.

Bugfixes are here! The patch coming in the morning will fix about 20 bugs, put some of the daily quests for Mirkwood/Erebor/Dale back into the game, and most important you will be properly aligned with your map in Eryn Lasgalen.

https://www.lotro.com/forums/showthread.php?&postid=7821963#post7821963

Fried Sushi
Jul 5, 2004

Everyone, quick login to the game to redeem the incredible coupon this week!

The Weekly Coupon gets you Fall Injury Immunity x5 with coupon code FALLINJURY now through March 22nd!

sgbyou
Feb 3, 2005

I'm just a shadow in the light you leave behind.

nvm: finding hunter boring.

sgbyou fucked around with this message at 02:45 on Mar 16, 2018

Ossipago
Nov 14, 2012

Muldoon
Spring festival is here, if you like running in circles in hedge mazes.

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR

Ossipago posted:

Spring festival is here, if you like running in circles in hedge mazes.

It's not the most exciting of the events but if you park alts at horses and do some shrew stomping on your main it's enough, no grind needed. There's a new mount/warsteed, a hedgehog pet, two new fiddle instruments, and some new elf clothes.

Updated Update 22 Review: It's really really good, I don't want to insult Mordor much but this $7 mini pack has been more fun for me. It's now got the best armor in the game, so Update 22 feels like an apology for some of the choices of Mordor and a way for people who aren't spending much money on the game or playing hours a day to finally be able to raid anyway.

As usual make sure you get rep accels from a skirmish camp, each questline in Erebor/Lake-Town/Dale/Eryn Lasgalen will give you a lot of rep, but without tasks or repeatable daily quests you won't hit kindred each time. And it is challenging for near all classes, so don't even try to kill wolves or deer here until you're 115 and mostly done with Mordor.

edit

Join the discord quoted in the OP for help if no one is on or you have Seregost unlocked and want to run it with me

extra stout fucked around with this message at 05:24 on Mar 18, 2018

Ossipago
Nov 14, 2012

Muldoon
The thing about the spring festival is there's some really odd design decisions. The shew stomping, dire beers, and tweens dailies are worse to play the more people are around, which is backwards for an MMO.

On the plus side, between the festival dailies and the ale quests I'm knocking out a level a day in XP. If you're trying to level up before hitting expansion content this is an easy/cheap way to do it.

Cloyster
Jun 26, 2011
I've logged in for the first time in.. 8 years? so goddamn much has changed i have no idea what im doing. Created a new character to play with goons though, when is generally a good time of day to get an officer online?

edit: found my lost characters! hooray!

Cloyster fucked around with this message at 04:45 on Mar 22, 2018

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR

Cloyster posted:

I've logged in for the first time in.. 8 years? so goddamn much has changed i have no idea what im doing. Created a new character to play with goons though, when is generally a good time of day to get an officer online?

edit: found my lost characters! hooray!

Pro tips: Our new discord link is in the OP, quoted maybe two paragraphs down

You can also post your character name, I'm online now and a couple of other officers are on discord. Welcome back! Ctrl+\ to unlock and lock the UI to customize things a bit, the website 'lotro interface' has about 50 free skins for the UI as well, and you can always ask questions here or in the discord

bombhand
Jun 27, 2004

Quest packs are on sale this week, with the unfortunate but expected exception of the new region. Also I'm done slogging through Mordor finally! I would be happy to go back there to help anybody else with any of it, even if it's just to help speed things along for you. You deserve to see the sun again!

(And any other content at any other level, mind - if I'm online and I'm not already in a group thing I am almost always ready to go join you wherever you are and run you right into the nearest roving threat.)

jalapeno_dude
Apr 10, 2015
Anyone have any idea what the collection boxes in the Mordor Allegiance halls are for? As far as I can find there don't seem to be faction-specific tasks in Mordor, just the ones for the Conquest of Gorgoroth in the actual camps within Mordor.

moebius2778
May 3, 2013

jalapeno_dude posted:

Anyone have any idea what the collection boxes in the Mordor Allegiance halls are for? As far as I can find there don't seem to be faction-specific tasks in Mordor, just the ones for the Conquest of Gorgoroth in the actual camps within Mordor.

I think they're for the collection quests in the Mordor resource instances.

ArchWizard
Mar 27, 2009

There's the Roy I know and love.

Something came up in Discord tonight; do any of you old-timers remember a web page where you could log in and see your characters and their gear? I wanted to link to it to get a gear evaluation but I can't remember how to reach it and I don't know if it even exists any more. I think it was connected to the old lottery system which doesn't exist any more, so I'm not hopeful.

Brave New World
Mar 10, 2010
Yeah, Turbine had a thing like that that was a little bit like WoW's Armorey. And you're right, it was tied to the lottery system. It also let you personalize your forum signature to feature one of your characters with race, class, level and where they were on the crafting tiers.

It's been gone for years. :(

Glass of Milk
Dec 22, 2004
to forgive is divine
I don't think it's like this game to add a new system and then just abandon it arbitrarily.

flowinprose
Sep 11, 2001

Where were you? .... when they built that ladder to heaven...
It was called my.lotro.com. It was a bit like a facebook page for your lotro character.

https://www.engadget.com/2008/12/10/turbine-releases-my-lotro-com-beta/

https://www.engadget.com/2009/11/27/lottery-system-in-my-lotro-updated/

jalapeno_dude
Apr 10, 2015

Glass of Milk posted:

I don't think it's like this game to add a new system and then just abandon it arbitrarily.

Epic Battles

(To be fair, I'm *extremely* glad they abandoned it, they sucked)

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES

jalapeno_dude posted:

Epic Battles

He was being sarcastic. They've done it tons.

Woodchip
Mar 28, 2010

jalapeno_dude posted:

Epic Battles

It’s skirmishes but worse! I think.

jalapeno_dude
Apr 10, 2015

Woodchip posted:

It’s skirmishes but worse! I think.

Oh man I totally forgot about Skirmishes! I remember they randomly became a required part of the Epic Story in Volume 2 and then disappeared again.

Glass of Milk
Dec 22, 2004
to forgive is divine
I've earned so many currencies thanks I'll never use again. Some go in the wallet and some don't.

Warhorses, slottable armor, skirmishes, legendary items, epic battles, traits, light of whatchamacallit... They've either been abandoned or have changed tremendously over the years.

It's ok, but drat if it doesn't make it difficult to figure out what to do after a long break. I thought Mordor was top tier but now it's back to Erebor I guess?

Fried Sushi
Jul 5, 2004

Mordor Collectors Edition and Ultimate Edition are on sale 20% off.

Still probably cost to much but if anyone was on the fence.

https://store.standingstonegames.com/store/ssg/en_US/list/id.CategoryProductListPage/categoryID.58516200/currency.USD

Glass of Milk
Dec 22, 2004
to forgive is divine
Wait Mordor is $40, but 2500 points which is enough for Mordor is $30? That can't possibly be right.

Fried Sushi
Jul 5, 2004

Glass of Milk posted:

Wait Mordor is $40, but 2500 points which is enough for Mordor is $30? That can't possibly be right.

The $40 includes an Aria of Valar, the Collectors edition has that and the High Elf race and some cosmetics. If you aren't interested in those then just buying the quest pack is better.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005
So did the Lone-lands get a massive overhaul at some point? I've been running an alt through there and I had to abandon it halfway through the region because I'd outleveled all its content due to the WALL of quests they threw at me.

I haven't been this far into the game in a while but it feels like there's WAY more content than there used to be.

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES

Alter Ego posted:

So did the Lone-lands get a massive overhaul at some point? I've been running an alt through there and I had to abandon it halfway through the region because I'd outleveled all its content due to the WALL of quests they threw at me.

I haven't been this far into the game in a while but it feels like there's WAY more content than there used to be.

All the original zones got a revamp, but it took them a while to get around to all the zones. I first played during The Hobbit goon rush, and at that point it had not been revamped, but I know it came after that at some point.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

xZAOx posted:

All the original zones got a revamp, but it took them a while to get around to all the zones. I first played during The Hobbit goon rush, and at that point it had not been revamped, but I know it came after that at some point.

Oh, kickass. I hope that means Forochel and Angmar are less soul-crushing than they used to be.

Lum_
Jun 5, 2006

Alter Ego posted:

Oh, kickass. I hope that means Forochel and Angmar are less soul-crushing than they used to be.

Nope, neither of those zones ever got revamped. Go directly to Eregion, do not pass go, do not collect 200 LOTRO points. The gap between Evendim and Eregion is currently the most painful in the game - your best bet is Misty Mountains, a bit of Forochel, and popping XP potions to get to 48 when you can start Eregion.

Fried Sushi
Jul 5, 2004

Lum_ posted:

Nope, neither of those zones ever got revamped. Go directly to Eregion, do not pass go, do not collect 200 LOTRO points. The gap between Evendim and Eregion is currently the most painful in the game - your best bet is Misty Mountains, a bit of Forochel, and popping XP potions to get to 48 when you can start Eregion.

Western Angmar isn't bad, Angmar doesn't really become soul crushing till you get into the NE portion of the map. I usually hit Western Angmar and Foro for a bit before going to Eregion.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
So I'm back in the game after getting the major stuff I missed after years and years gone. I plan on dabbling with all classes to see what I dig but my highest character is a level 50 Loremaster. Is there a best way to level or is it still just "do the epic storyline"?

flowinprose
Sep 11, 2001

Where were you? .... when they built that ladder to heaven...

sexpig by night posted:

So I'm back in the game after getting the major stuff I missed after years and years gone. I plan on dabbling with all classes to see what I dig but my highest character is a level 50 Loremaster. Is there a best way to level or is it still just "do the epic storyline"?

Doing epics is usually really bad for leveling quickly if that's really what you want to do, because you will spend alot of time running back and forth between areas. The quickest way to level is to hit big quest hubs and do the quests, then move on once you finish that hub or significantly over-level the area (quests and mobs are light blue and/or green). Epic quests are fine to include in all that as long as they coincide with other quest you have.

One particular area where it is a good idea to do the epics is west rohan. You will eventually unlock class trait points at the end of those.

flowinprose fucked around with this message at 13:38 on Apr 10, 2018

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR
https://www.lotro.com/forums/showthread.php?&postid=7827992#post7827992

Servers are back up from the patch

Glass of Milk
Dec 22, 2004
to forgive is divine
Every time I make a new alt I forget that I have to spend 70 points to get them riding. I know you earn those pretty easily but it's still annoying.

On the other hand my aoe champion tears through enemies, so there's that.

Trebuchet King
Jul 5, 2005

This post...

...is a
WORK OF FICTION!!

What I’ve had trouble with every time I try to get back into this is just gigantic piles of stuff in my inventory and I’m just grossly unclear on what I can toss, what I should stow, if anything’s reclaimable—that kind of thing. I loved goofing off at the level cap in SoM and if there’s like any kind of returning players guide with some inventory pointers that would be amazing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fried Sushi
Jul 5, 2004

Trebuchet King posted:

What I’ve had trouble with every time I try to get back into this is just gigantic piles of stuff in my inventory and I’m just grossly unclear on what I can toss, what I should stow, if anything’s reclaimable—that kind of thing. I loved goofing off at the level cap in SoM and if there’s like any kind of returning players guide with some inventory pointers that would be amazing.

Do you have the Wallet upgrade from the Store? That should store any currencies you care about. Other than that generally unless its an armor I like the look of or maybe a housing item I generally just toss anything I don't see immediate need for. at lower-mid levels you are going to be outpacing any use you might have for items in your inventory anyway. Worst case at the end of the day its just digital junk, not like you are going to break your character or anything if you empty your inventory.