Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

ryonguy posted:

:nws:So, uh, Suicide Squad: Hell to Pay has full, not in shadows nudity.:nws:

Also from the little bit I watched of it, it's R-rated violence with bloody deaths too. Kind of surprised this is the direction DC is willing to take their animated movies, a bit of a bold move. Not sure I like it to be honest.

guess i missed that this morning

ngl i was very surprised when it turned out to not be harley

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

site posted:

ngl i was very surprised when it turned out to not be harley

100 emoji

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

Autism Sneaks posted:

That's nudity the same way a stripped Barbie doll is nudity and just as unsettling :barf: They continue to take their house style to new and horrible places

DC finally got to the level of 90s animes

ryonguy
Jun 27, 2013

Autism Sneaks posted:

That's nudity the same way a stripped Barbie doll is nudity and just as unsettling :barf: They continue to take their house style to new and horrible places

It's been pretty bad for awhile. The ugly-rear end fixed-weight lines look like dogshit, and they just can't seem to get away from them. I know they owe every bit of animation success to Bruce Timm (compare BtAS to Marvel's neverending 90's turds), but christ, try something different.

Unmature
May 9, 2008
I've seen the animated Spider-Man trailer in theaters twice in the last week and man it looks good. I get way more excited for that than the Infinity War trailer.

Imagine working on lovely DC animated direct to DVD films for ten years and then Marvel just drops that trailer on you.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Unmature posted:

I've seen the animated Spider-Man trailer in theaters twice in the last week and man it looks good. I get way more excited for that than the Infinity War trailer.

Imagine working on lovely DC animated direct to DVD films for ten years and then Marvel just drops that trailer on you.

Is it the same one that was released a few months back, or is there a second one?

Kurzon
May 10, 2013

by Hand Knit
I've just finished watching Hell to Pay. I don't get DC's idea of how Heaven and Hell work. Why do villains do villainy if they know Hell is a real place? And wouldn't it just be simpler to accept Jesus Christ as your Lord and Savior than to fight over a magic card?

Unmature
May 9, 2008

Skwirl posted:

Is it the same one that was released a few months back, or is there a second one?

It's similar but has some new stuff. Unless I just forgot that we see Peter in the first one.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Ugh.

https://twitter.com/CNschedules/status/977378224945745920

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
Part of me is interested if it's true, another part of me assumes it's the standard "give fans hope with a vague nonpromise so they don't clog this panel's loving Q&A with TT S6 questions and ruin it for everyone" but worded a bit too boldly by mistake.

e: Michael Jelenic was the one who said it, so yeah, probs just the usual "gotta get poo poo fans to shut up preemptively" tactics he developed since Batman the brave and the bold. Ended up checking his IMBD, dude's pretty great. Even wrote the music meister ep for brave and the bold, and the screenplay for return of the caped crusader.

MorningMoon fucked around with this message at 02:38 on Mar 31, 2018

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

That show ended with a good finale about letting things go. It doesn't need to be brought back.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC
Yeah I was gonna ask how the show ended since so many people seem ravenous for it to return. I assumed it had some kind of cliffhanger or something. Has there been any new info on the DC streaming thing and its original programs?

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

ToastyPotato posted:

Yeah I was gonna ask how the show ended since so many people seem ravenous for it to return. I assumed it had some kind of cliffhanger or something. Has there been any new info on the DC streaming thing and its original programs?

It had a pretty notorious non-ending of a last episode that was honestly really goddamn depressing(personally I just ignore it's existence as best I can and pretend the last episode was the end of the Brotherhood of Evil arc)

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
It was something about Beast Boy thinking some random schoolgirl was Terra who had sacrificed herself to take down Slade that one time in the Judas Contract and he had to realize that no, Terra blew herself up to kill Slade and she ain't coming back right

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

ToastyPotato posted:

The entire point was that things change, and the things you like will have to leave at some point.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
And then they went to Tokyo.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

From what I recall, the show felt like it had gotten pretty tired by the point it ended. I think in the penultimate season all the main characters had gotten about as much character growth as any of them were going to get (Beast Boy and Starfire never had full arcs centered around them, even though they had their fair share of individual episodes). The last season was pretty much a victory lap, where instead of building further upon anything or continuing the show's old formula, the team split up globetrotting and meeting up with various young superhumans around the planet. I can't quite remember if the show was buried in scheduling or if it was just one of those periods where I trailed off of watching TV.

It had a good run, not cut down in its prime at all. The way American TV works, it promotes successful shows to run on and on forever until they start to wear out. Really great shows that were cancelled before their time are way in the minority.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

SlothfulCobra posted:

From what I recall, the show felt like it had gotten pretty tired by the point it ended. I think in the penultimate season all the main characters had gotten about as much character growth as any of them were going to get (Beast Boy and Starfire never had full arcs centered around them, even though they had their fair share of individual episodes). The last season was pretty much a victory lap, where instead of building further upon anything or continuing the show's old formula, the team split up globetrotting and meeting up with various young superhumans around the planet. I can't quite remember if the show was buried in scheduling or if it was just one of those periods where I trailed off of watching TV.

It had a good run, not cut down in its prime at all. The way American TV works, it promotes successful shows to run on and on forever until they start to wear out. Really great shows that were cancelled before their time are way in the minority.

Starfire didn't get a full arc, but Beast Boy you could argue got two of them, the Terra arc revolved heavily around him, and the Brotherhood of Evil arc was definitely an arc for him as it centered on villains from his original team(kinda a bit of a plot hole when you think about it that despite being involved at the very start of the arc the Doom Patrol had no involvement in it's resolution)

Also if the show did come back, the best way to do it would be to do more episodes in the vein of the Titans East and HIVE 5 episodes

drrockso20 fucked around with this message at 06:47 on Mar 31, 2018

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten
The only thing it really left open is who the second Red X is and maybe re-killing Slade.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

wdarkk posted:

The only thing it really left open is who the second Red X is and maybe re-killing Slade.

I still think he's Jason Todd!

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

SonicRulez posted:

Same

Autism Sneaks
Nov 21, 2016

SonicRulez posted:

also

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KOKP7NlVuew

"I STILL THINK YOU'RE JASON TODD!"

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Calaveron posted:

It was something about Beast Boy thinking some random schoolgirl was Terra who had sacrificed herself to take down Slade that one time in the Judas Contract and he had to realize that no, Terra blew herself up to kill Slade and she ain't coming back right

Yeah but it's also done in such a way that it can be Terra came back to life and decided she wanted to live as a normal school kid and not be a superhero.

Like it's ambigeous* enough that you can pick either and not be wrong. But everyone hammered home about how it can only be "Beast Boy is crazy and nothing else."

It happened the same time that Mike Omeing wrote a Thor story that everyone who read swore was Thor killing himself and being super dead and never coming back. Despite the issue himself had Thor talk just about going to sleep. Fans are the worst.

*= It's also based off a famous Japanese movie too.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

The whole point of Red X is that he could be anyone. Robin says as much in the episode where the "second" Red X showed up. That's why he has Robin's voice actor; who he is under the mask is less important than his role as a foil for Robin.

Making him Jason Todd (who has no relevance to the show's narrative outside of an easter egg), or someone we saw in the show, or whatever, would honestly ruin his character. Just like how the main characters and other villains on Teen Titans are primarily their super hero identities and rarely get into their "secret ones", he isn't anyone but what he calls himself. He's Red X. The short is more a parody of the fandom's obsession with the mystery than anything significant.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

If I have learned anything, it is that any kind of ambiguity in story telling, no matter how temporary, will send most internet fans into a head clutching, rocking back and forth tantrum. Merely suggesting that something was intentionally ambiguous (because you know, it is a common tool of story telling) does it, actually. I mean, sure I am exaggerating a bit, but Jesus do people not like ambiguity on the internet when it comes to their nerdy stories. "He's DEAD. FOREVER. REEEEEEEEE."

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

anyway the real crime is we never got an episode where he and Blackfire teamed up to menace Starfire and Robin while they were on a date

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

I'd say it has to do with "nerd" media having a long history of loving over the fans with things like dropped plot points or unresolved cliffhangers, so lots of people end up really disliking anything being vague or unexplained, and similarly it's why a lot of cartoon fans have become so vocal against "filler" episodes these days if a cartoon is remotely actiony or has even the slightest bit of an ongoing plot

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

That is a totally valid thing to feel burned by, but the fact that some people will so vehemently argue against the notion that perhaps, something was not meant to be answered, at least not yet, despite most of these mediums using these kinds of devices regularly is just dumb. I mean, I have seen people basically argue against the idea that a generic cliffhanger ending was actually a cliffhanger because they figured the most likely of the only two possible outcomes was going to happen.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

It just stands out especially for Red X because at the end of his first episode Robin all but literally says "who Red X is doesn't matter."

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

ToastyPotato posted:

If I have learned anything, it is that any kind of ambiguity in story telling, no matter how temporary, will send most internet fans into a head clutching, rocking back and forth tantrum. Merely suggesting that something was intentionally ambiguous (because you know, it is a common tool of story telling) does it, actually. I mean, sure I am exaggerating a bit, but Jesus do people not like ambiguity on the internet when it comes to their nerdy stories. "He's DEAD. FOREVER. REEEEEEEEE."

Even where there is not ambiguity, people will write articles or make YouTube videos about how Obi-Wan is Luke's REAL father or whatever based on two lines of dialog taken out of context.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Endless Mike posted:

Even where there is not ambiguity, people will write articles or make YouTube videos about how Obi-Wan is Luke's REAL father or whatever based on two lines of dialog taken out of context.

Honestly, I don't mind articles or YT videos with people theorizing about things because that is mostly harmless, it just sucks when actual discussions get ruined because of crap like that. Basically, that and people being ridiculously defensive against any criticism of their favorite thing are my two biggest pet peeves with online nerd culture. Needless to say, The Last Jedi has probably been the least I have enjoyed almost any movie in my life as a result of those two things colliding fantastically.

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Note to self: This one's the good one

The Question IRL posted:

Yeah but it's also done in such a way that it can be Terra came back to life and decided she wanted to live as a normal school kid and not be a superhero.

Like it's ambigeous* enough that you can pick either and not be wrong. But everyone hammered home about how it can only be "Beast Boy is crazy and nothing else."

Didn't it show that her stone-ified body was gone, too? I remember thinking it was really obvious that she came back and just wanted to be normal.

Autism Sneaks
Nov 21, 2016

Abroham Lincoln posted:

Didn't it show that her stone-ified body was gone, too? I remember thinking it was really obvious that she came back and just wanted to be normal.

yeah but get this: the kind of people who usually enjoy watching a cartoon for kids are either literal kids or loving stupid adults

VibrantPareidolia
Oct 12, 2012

Nodosaur posted:

anyway the real crime is we never got an episode where he and Blackfire teamed up to menace Starfire and Robin while they were on a date

That actually sounds like an amazingly obvious teamup and now I'M disappointed it didn't happen. Imagine what a power couple they would've made!

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I'm a petty bastard sometimes, which is why my favourite episode of Teen Titans Go! that I've seen was "Let's Get Serious". People take fiction too personally most of the time and the amount of :qq: over that episode was most amusing.

Wheat Loaf fucked around with this message at 09:39 on Apr 4, 2018

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Wheat Loaf posted:

I'm a petty bastard sometimes, which is why my favourite episode of Teen Titans Go! that I've seen was "Let's Get Serious". People take fiction too personally most of the time and the amount of :qq: over that episode was most amusing.

Every time there's an angry post somewhere about TTG, I gain a little more strength to carry me through the day. This means I am going to live for approximately 300+ years now.

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!
Sooo.. Ninja Batman is out and it's nutty.. the animation mostly sucks, but I found it fun. A lot of it doesn't make sense.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

Everything I've heard and clips I've seen about ninja batman makes it look completely nuts. The bat cycle turns into a power armor for batman

I love it.

TheDK
Jun 5, 2009

Monaghan posted:

Everything I've heard and clips I've seen about ninja batman makes it look completely nuts. The bat cycle turns into a power armor for batman

I love it.

It really is bonkers. Best part is the crazy just comes out of nowhere.

I wonder, after the end, does he keep the batgod powers?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!

TheDK posted:

It really is bonkers. Best part is the crazy just comes out of nowhere.

I wonder, after the end, does he keep the batgod powers?

*Ninjitsu spirit