Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

infiniteguest posted:

Brigade Kitchen System:

So, this is how a normal brigade system works. The basic principle is this. In order to work the most effectively, labor in a kitchen needs to be divided and compartmentalized so that one person doesn't have to do everything, and that each person has a set of tasks that make sense to do simultaneously. So to illustrate this, we will compare the kitchen brigade to a more traditional modern American kitchen.

In an American kitchen you have "stations" that are generally divided by resources. Grill station, fry station, saute station, pizza station (pizza generally referring to a station that utilizes a pizza oven) and a salad station. The workflow of the kitchen is defined by the equipment available to the cook in their space. The problem with that is you tend to balance the menu by station and therefore you are required to cook proteins or vegetables with methods that are not ideal for flavor or presentation but ideal for the balance of workload. Also You are giving people tasks that do not mesh well - cook a steak, warm garnish, plate entrée, manage tickets. The timing and mechanical methods for these tasks are not compatible and therefore if someone gets truly busy one or all of these elements will suffer.

A brigade kitchen divides labor in a more sensible way. You have a Chef or Sous Chef at the pass, managing tickets and table. As tables are determined to be ready, tables are fired (fire 2nd course table 23, fire intermezzo on 18, etc.) to various parts of the kitchen usually known as lines or stations. A larger brigade will have the Chef De Cuisine (or Executive Sous on CDCs days off) on the pass and a Sous Chef on each line.

This information is then filtered to individual stations. So say you've fired entrees on table 55 - a four top with a vegetarian pasta, two steaks, and a halibut. The Chef firing entrees on 55 has three sous chefs pulling their ticket to the fire area - meat station sous, fish station sous, pasta station sous.

Let's say that, with a 12 minute fire time, pasta station has the longest time on the order. Pasta stations yells out, 12 minutes on 55. All the stations are coordinated to put entrees on the pass for inspection by the chef in 12 minutes.

On a station you will have a sous chef to oversee quality and manage tickets - they will group fires, hold fires, and coordinate with other stations to manage the flow of food coming out of the kitchen. This not only makes the kitchen more efficient but also keeps your 12 course tasting menu from dragging to a four-hour snooze-fest where you are losing money on a table turn and pissing off your guests who want to go see Hamilton or whatever the gently caress.

Aside from the sous chef you will have the protein cook and the entremetier. (entremetier traditionally means vegetable cook but that's like super old school) The protein cook cooks the protein and communicates timing to his entremat and sous chef to communicate to others. The protein cook's primary responsibility is to execute perfect, flawlessly consistent food with impeccable timing so that diners receive their food at the height of it's deliciousness. At JG, for example, if you slice a duck and plate it too early, after a minutes goes by under a heat lamp the duck is thrown away and the entire ticket is refired. The "protein" here could refer to fish, meat, or pasta.

The entremat follows the lead for the protein cook and essentially cooks garnish. Pasta station they'll normally pan up condiment and wait for pasta to be cooked to be sauced. A meat cook might warm up creamed spinach or mount pommes puree with butter and touch up seasoning. A fish cook might emulsify a sauce with finishing cream or char a piece of broccoli to lean up against a grilled piece of salmon.

A big brigade kitchen will actually have separate lines - each their own tiny kitchen unto itself - for each station. Meat roast will have it's own grill, range, even a broiler to execute all the dishes of that station. A fish station might have a steamer setup, a plancha, and it's own grill as well. A station is less defined by the parameters of the equipment and more by the needs of the workload the station is required to perform.

The stations you find in a normal brigade:

Grillardin (meat roast)
poissonier (fish cook)
hot apps (dunno the French word for this, the station that serves hot appetizers)
garde mange (cold apps, essentially)
patisserie (pastry)
amuse (the snack station where interns go to die)

Now also some kitchens will employ a cheese station, a saucier, and a bunch of other fancy French terms for cooking jobs but it largely depends on the restaurant.The Grill (the new four seasons restaurant) might need to distinguish between the grillardin who grills and the grillardin who uses the rotisserie or the wood fired broiler. Le Bernardin might need a fish saute, fish grill, and fish poach station because drat they sell hella seafood in that restaurant. Del Posto might have a pasta guy, pasta condiment guy, and hell a guy who literally only makes a risotto because why not? He can do some prep during service too.

This delineation means that's as a cook you can focus entirely on the quality of your work and think less about what is going on with the entire dining room. It's the only effective method I've seen for putting out food at an extremely high level, or putting out food when you're doing 800 covers of fine dining a night.

FOH also has a similar breakdown, where the dining room is divided into stations. Each station has a Captain - who coordinates and manages their squad consisting of runners, back waiters, front waiters, and sommeliers. The number of each role in any given station varies from restaurant to restaurant. This allows workers to focus on the quality of their work - bussing, running, selling food, selling wine - instead of juggling 6 incompatible tasks to mediocre effect. These old restaurant traditions are what have formed the structure of most modern restaurants today - it is unforttunate that many of them don't fully understand the systems so they generally implement them poorly. It also makes me sad to see the very nature of this conversation - people who are angry at the poor management of most restaurants (thus negatively affecting the personal and financial lives of their staff) but also railing against the financially tiered apprentice system that is the best way to correct it. The wonderful fairness of restaurants in this old tradition is that you literally get paid to train in your craft. If you want to be a chef, or a sommelier, or a General Manager, you don't need to afford school or loans or whatever. You just find a great restaurant to work for, put your head down, and work your way up. It's the only industry I know of where you can have literally nothing, not even a passing knowledge of the regional spoken language, and end up as a salaried manager with a beach house and a popular Instagram or whatever. It's not easy, or glamorous, and it doesn't pay a lot of money (like, ever, at any level) but it's loving fair and I love that.

I hope this all makes sense.

It did, and I would have happily murdered someone to work in a kitchen like that when I used to cook.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE
I just wanted to know about the fish cook.

A Man and his dog
Oct 24, 2013

by R. Guyovich
Wooooo boy the last few pages went off the rail.

Also I wanna be the fish cook....

infiniteguest
May 14, 2009

oh god oh god

Field Mousepad posted:

I just wanted to know about the fish cook.

I have a fish cook - he works five days on “fish station” but cooks both fish, garnish, and a couple pastas because of the layout of the kitchen. (I have a five station kitchen and no entremat, just a tournant or sous chef to float between stations.)

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004
Someone forward Migos infiniteguests essay I lost their number.

Also I never realized that all the 20something sorority girls who talk about how bougie they are at brunch are actually controlling the means of production... I learned something today!

Also I totally realize that tacking an arbitrary amount onto each item is a poor way to recoup revenue from increased labor, but to suggest that is necessary to allow for equitable pay is also suggesting that the business is in such a marginal state that equitable pay would affect operations instead of just NOI, in which case you probably have other problems.

I get it. I also run a kitchen and I'm not authorized to pay my staff as much as I would like to. And I run 9% boh labor. Until I'm in a financial position to be able to own an operate my own business, or until theres a pretty major upheaval in the industry I doubt I'll be able to. It sucks.

pile of brown fucked around with this message at 07:14 on Mar 31, 2018

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:

infiniteguest posted:

Brigade Kitchen System:

Okay I want to eat at your place.

Quabzor
Oct 17, 2010

My whole life just flashed before my eyes! Dude, I sleep a lot.

pile of brown posted:

Also I never realized that all the 20something sorority girls who talk about how bougie they are at brunch are actually controlling the means of production... I learned something today!

We've had literal 13 year olds in for desserts with 5 of their friends and they asked our 65 year old server ask what they should tip as they pay with their parents credit card.

And IG/CDC I don't hate either of you, but you both give off the "better than working class" aura. IG I wish my manager knew half of the culinary terms in your effort post. You both just happen to remind me of our old GM (who made high 6 figures) that told our manager to cut our only host because she was "the expensive one."

But change come from riling up the base of worker who are poo poo on. You two are a part of that, because you almost certainly have standards set above you as far as wages and poo poo go. When you talk about change before you raise wages, you need to be part of the solution, not part of the problem.

A Man and his dog
Oct 24, 2013

by R. Guyovich
Ok this bougie term is out of hand...:

The hell people.

Quabzor
Oct 17, 2010

A Man and his dog posted:

Ok this bougie term is out of hand...:

The hell people.

It's not really though. Words evolve, and whenever this started being used as an adjective it isn't necessarily wrong. As far as I've heard it, it's being used to describe someone who believes they are better than working class, which would put them into middle class (bougiouse by definition AFAIK).

The problem is that we now have two steps to working class. Those who can afford comfort and those who can't. They both still sell their labor(proletariat) to make a living.

Alobar
Jun 21, 2011

Are you proud of me?

Are you proud of what I do?

I'll try to be a better man than the one that you knew.
I work for a staffing agency called Pared in the SF Bay area, mostly in SF, but sometimes south city and east bay. It's for when restaurants and catering companies don't have a dishwasher, prep cook, line cook, busser, server, etc. The thing about it is that it starts out at 16 an hour for a shift and, the more desperate people get to fill the shift, the wage will be raised. I got paid 35 an hour to wash dishes sunday before last at some thai place that was pretty cool. The kitchens that use this company to fill shifts range from the worst in the SF Bay area to the best. I've worked in 6 different michelin star restaurants now because I was willing to pick up dish shifts at them. I was offered a stage but I'm literally too busy making more money than they'd offer, which is pretty heartbreaking to be honest.

La Folie was the only dish shift I've picked up at a michelin restaurant that I didn't like (and it's definitely not the place that offered me a stage). I've never seen such a crazy ridiculous pile of dishes. I explained--me--I explained what a 9-pan was to one of the cooks. They said, "I need one of those small metal pans to put things in," and I'm just like, "What....what are you talking about?" Really nice people, but the kitchen was an absolute clusterfuck. Holy poo poo.

Anyway, not all the shifts are insane 35 an hour shifts or working at michelin star kitchens. I generally wait til it gets up to be around 20 dollars an hour and by this point I can pick and choose which restaurants I work at because I've been to quite a few now. Sometimes I get paid 25 an hour to stand around in a really relaxing dishpit, but the other side of it is poo poo falling apart in a grimey kitchen while I'm chuckling that I'm still getting 20 an hour. Sometimes I pick up prep and line shifts, but the dish shifts are more frequent. A great thing about it is that I get to choose my own schedule and can randomly take days off and afford to do that.

It's kind of seems too good to be true, but I quit my job as a chef de partie/prep chef at a catering company (and just went to part time, rarely working at all) to work for the company full time. Since moving to part time with them I've been given a raise to 20 an hour, but it's still more worth my time to work for the other company. The variety of experience along with the pay rate is absolutely ridiculous. Sometimes I have to very slowly explain to people that I'm a chef and I know what to do and to leave me alone because it's dishes, but when I'm in michelin kitchens they treat me with the same respect as they would give to any other cook (even La Folie even though that kitchen is pointlessly insane).

tl;dr I get paid $20-$30/hr to mostly wash dishes because the system is broken. It is so, so broken.

Edit: P.S. The bourgeois are out of hand.

infiniteguest
May 14, 2009

oh god oh god
I’m loving the direction of this discussion, tbh. High fives all around.

Also for the sake of transparency I pull 70k a year. I work more hours than I would expect a person to work for that salary but I’m a crazy person who loves to cook.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

infiniteguest posted:

Brigade Kitchen System:

The only Brigade kitchen I ever worked was a golf country club that had hot apps managed by the the roast/fry chef (rôtisseur & friturier as a single position) and had the poissonier act as the saucier as well. It was a great experience, even though I was never in there for service as I was a baking commis on the early morning under the patissier and only near the line to deliver product before lunch.

bentacos
Oct 9, 2012

infiniteguest posted:

Brigade Kitchen System

I love this post and I love you.

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004

bentacos posted:

quote:

infiniteguest
I love this post and I love you.

Me too

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Brandy does in fact, in my experience, contribute to Getting Down.

Quabzor posted:

We've had literal 13 year olds in for desserts with 5 of their friends and they asked our 65 year old server ask what they should tip as they pay with their parents credit card.

And IG/CDC I don't hate either of you, but you both give off the "better than working class" aura. IG I wish my manager knew half of the culinary terms in your effort post. You both just happen to remind me of our old GM (who made high 6 figures) that told our manager to cut our only host because she was "the expensive one."

But change come from riling up the base of worker who are poo poo on. You two are a part of that, because you almost certainly have standards set above you as far as wages and poo poo go. When you talk about change before you raise wages, you need to be part of the solution, not part of the problem.

I'll also say that I'm only making 60k, with 80-100hr work weeks at the moment.

I think you misunderstand our mindset. IG and I both work in very large operations. People rely on us for career training, job security, covering their days off, etc, etc. I absolutely love my team, but at the end of the day, I'm a chef. Short, and to the point, so I can move on to the next task.

I absolutely want labor reform to happen. Honestly, I'd love to see everyone making $20/hr, because monetary stress is one of the biggest things that affects your work. I also want everyone making $20/hr so they can go eat here and there, do this and that, have amazing experiences, and use that to further their knowledge and careers.

As far as riling up the working base, that isn't cooks and dishies. The working base are farmers, commercial butchers, etc. Those are the people who have to be riled up, and stop the means of production. Me refusing to cook for you is a minor inconvenience. Everyone being unable to cook for you is what makes change happen.

E: brigade system: my banquet kitchen runs a full brigade for the most part, every section is broken down, everyone has specific jobs, etc. It's definitely a sight to behold, because tasks get done so quickly. We've got 4 sous, 7 CdPs, and 20 commis. It's just fantastic to know that Andiswa has VIP lounge canapes done, and they're beautiful, taste amazing, etc. because that is her 100% focus. Everything is consistent because only 1 person ever does it

Chef De Cuisinart fucked around with this message at 12:36 on Mar 31, 2018

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Yesterday, I had a customer go "If my food isn't done how I like it I'm throwing it back, just so you know."

Well, A. don't say it like an asshat (which you did), and B. ok thank you for the heads up. I'd rather have someone go do that then eat all their food and go "IT'S NOT GOOOOOOOOOOOD" and demand a refund or comp.

also people stole jellies yesterday. Why the gently caress they do that I don't know.

Quabzor
Oct 17, 2010

Alobar posted:

tl;dr I get paid $20-$30/hr to mostly wash dishes because the system is broken. It is so, so broken.

That's incredible.

The contract crew that works with us gets minimum wage and no holiday pay. They're all immigrants that get bussed in from the nearest city. Same for 2/3rds of the housekeepers.

pseudosavior
Apr 14, 2006

Don't you do cocaine at ME,
you son of a bitch!
All I'm really seeing is that I made the worst possible choice when it comes to this industry.

Rather than actually work in a functional kitchen with competent people for a decent wage, I'm stuck in a franchise wingpit, deep-frying chicken ends for rubes for 8.50/hr alongside morons and methheads.

I'd probably actually kill for 15/hr.

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008
Oui, Chef!

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

pseudosavior posted:

All I'm really seeing is that I made the worst possible choice when it comes to this industry.

Rather than actually work in a functional kitchen with competent people for a decent wage, I'm stuck in a franchise wingpit, deep-frying chicken ends for rubes for 8.50/hr alongside morons and methheads.

Sadly this is about 95% of the people working in the industry.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

I get paid :10bux: which is poo poo, but I'm the sole employee and I get all the tips in the cup which is pretty great for the ~100 days a year that the tourists are here buying our overpriced seafood

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

pseudosavior posted:

obviously i don't know the exact context of were you live, but if you're making poo poo money at a bad restaurant why don't you just jump ship and scout around. the singular perk of this industry is that it's incredibly easy to walk into most places and get a job. maybe this time you'll be paid poo poo but the company will be halfway decent

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

pseudosavior posted:

The good news is it's easy to quit and become a computer janitor and start working your way up the IT ladder.

pseudosavior
Apr 14, 2006

you son of a bitch!

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

obviously i don't know the exact context of were you live, but if you're making poo poo money at a bad restaurant why don't you just jump ship and scout around. the singular perk of this industry is that it's incredibly easy to walk into most places and get a job. maybe this time you'll be paid poo poo but the company will be halfway decent

I'm despairing mostly due to the tail end of March Madness making my life a living hell lately, but honestly it's not THAT bad, especially since our resident maga-worshipping manchild got fired for making death threats to other cooks.

The GM actually gives a poo poo, the actual work isn't terribly hard most of the time, and everything there is dumbed down enough for the aforementioned morons that I can get into the zone startlingly easily when it picks up. Only real downside is that we lost a few cooks due to general shittiness so we've been understaffed, and we have a few shitbags who call off with lame-but-credible excuses.

And I've tried branching out in the area, and I'm actually in one of the nicer restaurants around (with the exception of The Nicest Restaurant In Town, and someone basically has to die for them to have an opening. I've lived in this town for 5 years, never once heard of them hiring). Most everything else is just more of the same, only the inmates are running the asylum.

Rural Illinois is a goddamned wasteland.
Hell, rural anywhere is halfway to The Road these days.

Stuck in the area due to family, but the town's getting a Chipotle this year, so I got that going for me.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Errant Gin Monks posted:

The good news is it's easy to quit and become a computer janitor and start working your way up the IT ladder.

This is really true. If you have the work ethic to be a good cook, you'll blow people away in a desk job.

pseudosavior
Apr 14, 2006

you son of a bitch!

Liquid Communism posted:

This is really true. If you have the work ethic to be a good cook, you'll blow people away in a desk job.

Ironically, the last desk job I had was in the Army.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Liquid Communism posted:

Speaking for myself and probably many others, there’s a specific reason I chose to cook for poo poo pay rather than take an actual Desk Job.

In all seriousness though, I’m halfway to a desk job now anyways. How did you all transition to computer janitoring, what’s the starting pay relative to like median income in your area and how quickly did you advance? I’m decently taken care of for the moment, but I don’t have many prospects for advancement.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Hauki posted:

Speaking for myself and probably many others, there’s a specific reason I chose to cook for poo poo pay rather than take an actual Desk Job.

In all seriousness though, I’m halfway to a desk job now anyways. How did you all transition to computer janitoring, what’s the starting pay relative to like median income in your area and how quickly did you advance? I’m decently taken care of for the moment, but I don’t have many prospects for advancement.

I thought that for a lot of years. Then I found that they'd pay me 17 bucks an hour starting to go back to touching computers, in a place where $8 is good kitchen pay. That's right on the median for my area, and I'm pulling double that now four years in. Managing a crew of computer touchers is like managing a kitchen, only with less swearing.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

Hauki posted:

In the mid 2000s I left the kitchen and got my first IT job on a help desk making 8 bucks an hour.

Then teir 2 for 13 then got an msce and moved to server admin in 2007 for 20 bucks an hour.

2009 I became a manager for the department and made 55k a year. Moved to Microsoft and make 75k a year as an office 365 deployment engineer remote (working from my house) in 2012

Quit and got back into the restaurant biz in 2013, failed and went right back to the same job in 2015.

Left that to take a job in LA at 53 bucks an hour for a car manufacturer as a Windows/Unix provisioner in 2016. Moved into the mainframe security side of things and now I'm moving to the Midwest to make 60 bucks a hour ITYOOL 2018

So from 2005 to 2018 - 8 to 60 an hour

Edit for timeframe add

Errant Gin Monks fucked around with this message at 10:05 on Apr 1, 2018

A Man and his dog
Oct 24, 2013

by R. Guyovich
Oh god Easter Sunday..... I'm gonna be so drat busy.

Only server on all day so basically I will not stop moving from 10:30-9. This going to get ugly.

Anyways, time to buckle up. HeeeHaw!

Alobar
Jun 21, 2011

Are you proud of me?

Are you proud of what I do?

I'll try to be a better man than the one that you knew.
I'll never stop thinking that it's pretty hosed that the best advice any honest chefs have to people just starting out is "don't. Just pick something the gently caress else. Please." I'm at a point in my career where I'm gonna be slinging fried chicken sandwiches tomorrow for $20/hr. That's kinda all I ever wanted to do. Michelin star restaurants are interesting to be in, but holy poo poo. gently caress the sf bay area. It's reprehensible how rich people in this city live. The contrast between being in those kitchens and then seeing the grim reality of where I live is horrifying and sickening. I never really understood why so many people jump off the golden gate bridge until my second week in this city. Anyone who thinks that SF is any sort of liberal utopia has been fooled in some way, because this place is a capitalist dystopian nightmare.

amahd, I read your posts in the voice of the awkward pimple faced teenager from the simpsons. Sorry....? (I just laughed until I cried. I need to laugh about something.)

edit: I absolutely hate any sort of "rule" or suggestion that it's rude to talk about how much money everyone's making. You know who came up with that bullshit? The motherfucker making the most loving money.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

I was scheduled from 0900 to 2200, but now I'm going in an hour early because our other server called in so now our busser is serving alongside me. :suicide:

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE
Easter Sunday double let's do this! Give me all of your money hungover white people!

A Man and his dog
Oct 24, 2013

by R. Guyovich
^^^ Yeah, down here in the Bible Belt mine is give me all yo monies religious people.

And business is a booming!

Quabzor
Oct 17, 2010

Are holiday dinner shifts typically slow shifts for anyone else?

We'll do 1500 across the resort for brunch today but only like 200 for dinner.

The Maestro
Feb 21, 2006
I’m heading in in an hour to bartend. So many bloody Marys. I hate making bloody Marys. Ready for war

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

The Maestro posted:

I’m heading in in an hour to bartend. So many bloody Marys. I hate making bloody Marys. Ready for war

But they are so good.

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line
gently caress bloody Mary's/Caesers they are gross and annoying

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006
bloody mary's are good when you desperately need Something to forestall your oncoming death but are too hungover to hold down solids

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Women's Circuit Bender Union Local 34

I got cut because we were so slow this morning. :psyduck: I was dreading the worst: first Easter since we've been open on Sundays, so we had no frame of reference on how slammed we'd be; chef decides to roll out new spring menu on Easter, wtf; and one of our heavy hitters asked off and km scheduled a new guy who's never even done brunch in her place.

We were.... Kinda busy for the first 45 minutes we were open, and then nothing but tumbleweeds rolling thru our door. Eerie. I'm not salty about the cut, I have a big art show in a few days and I have plenty to keep me busy. In fact, I should get off the forums and get going on that stuff, but I wanted to check in on my industry peeps.

Godspeed to those of you getting fisted; may your tickets run smoothly, BOH, and your tips be fat, FOH.