Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alpha Mayo
Jan 15, 2007
hi how are you?
there was this racist piece of shit in your av so I fixed it
you're welcome
pay it forward~

Shrimp or Shrimps posted:

Kinda feel like graphics quality is getting so good and optimized that it's not such a big deal going mid range anymore.

I've said this in the thread before, but the differences between medium and high are getting smaller and smaller. Not quite as miniscule as the gap between high and ultra, but getting there.

Like, go play BF1, and honestly tell me you can see the difference in typical game play (ie. actual run and gun and not inspecting every last blade of grass). Smoke effects being noticeably worse is the only thing I typically see/notice.

Maybe I suffer from graphics blindness, but I've been doing a lot of testing between medium and high on a variety of games, and in most cases it's just not that noticeable, but the temperature gains (laptop) are palpable.

With that said, I'd still opt for the 6gb 1060.

Nah you aren't blind, each graphical leap is less than the next and it gets exponentially harder to improve graphics with each generation of games. That's why the holy grail is raytracing, which would offer that next big leap forward, it's just that GPU's haven't even been close to being able to render that in real time, and still aren't really. But GPUs are getting close to being able to do real-time raytracing with the help of tricks like AI denoising.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
The ultra Nvidia enhanced god rays in wildlands is worth it. Everything else medium or ultra makes no difference.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Rastor posted:

If I were a GPU manufacturer I would publish a store app in Steam which allowed you to purchase one (1) GPU upgrade for immediate shipping at MSRP if your system hardware showed you were on a gaming PC that needed an upgrade.

Thank you whoever read my idea at AMD

https://wccftech.com/amd-project-canis-flagship-intel-joint-venture/

quote:

At the stated rate of 2441 MHz, AMD RX Canis GPU will be able to boost to 50 TFLOPs of compute performance (single precision). If this isn’t an insane value – I don’t know what is. This truly represents a generational leap in performance as far as graphics cards go. The card will be rocking HBM4 memory, which is a newer and cheaper variant of HBM3. The JEDEC standard will be produced by Micron and Samsung in collaboration with Intel and the JV expects no memory bottlenecks like before. The total bandwidth available on the card is a massive 4 TB/s which should be more than enough for even the most strenuous graphic requirements.

Of course, higher performance means this is going to be an absolutely insane value proposition for the mining crowd and its unlikely we will see this card in stock at launch. Thankfully, both Intel and AMD are committed to dedicate a significant portion of supply to gamers only – this will be achieved by validating gamers through their Steam accounts. There will be a standard 1 card per user policy which will have to be further validated by linking your Steam account (which must have at least $100 worth of games and 100 hours of gameplay).

Oh wait, this is WCCFtech

quote:

We also learned that a very select group of press was shown the prototype behind closed doors and not only were they made to sign an NDA but will have to actively deny the card exists if asked. This is probably one of the reasons why you will not see anyone talking about it and if you ask these certain someones, you will get a response along the likes of “its clearly fake”.

WCCFt you morons, it's clearly fake

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️
"Let's make poo poo up, and then end with a plausible deniability copout that we didn't. How do you like my quality journalism?"

craig588
Nov 19, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
The last extreme PC hardware NDA I saw was basically "If it's bad it doesn't exist, pretend the problems don't exist, report on what's good" It makes no sense to show a card to press under complete NDA.

Those were the terms of old ATI NDAs but turns out the 9700 and X800 actually were good cards so it wasn't hard to write about them. Glossing over problems is a pretty standard thing, obviously there will be problems and they will be fixed, otherwise the card would already be ready to be sold.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Palladium posted:

"Let's make poo poo up, and then end with a plausible deniability copout that we didn't. How do you like my quality journalism?"

I don't think WCCFt made it up, I think they clicked publish on something in their tips inbox from someone whose time zone is already April 1

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

Rastor posted:

I don't think WCCFt made it up, I think they clicked publish on something in their tips inbox from someone whose time zone is already April 1

Oh I forgot today is T-minus 19 days from 4/20 again.

Krailor
Nov 2, 2001
I'm only pretending to care
Taco Defender
Hey, you can't prove its not true...

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

gingerberger posted:

Saw this and thought about pulling the trigger but still split on whether bumping up to the 6gb is worth the extra cost. I’ve seen the 3gb on sale a lot more than the 6gb the last couple weeks.

Probably already mentioned, but you're not just losing 3GB of memory, the chip itself is a cut down version of the 1060 6GB GPU. Likely a big reason people shell out for the 6GB model, I've been seeing a lot crop up on Craigslist lately around the $300 price point but getting a used card that was possibly used for mining can be a crap shoot.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
As Polaris can't be reflashed, the biggest "crap shoot" is the fans. We've said it a bunch of times: don't buy AMD, buy a known brand with a transferable warranty.

craig588
Nov 19, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
Polaris definitely can be reflashed. My idea was messing with the memory clock speed by like 25MHz so you knew a flashed one. Pascal can not easily be reflashed though. The card doesn't have DRM but the flasher tool does so you need to break out a 3rd party hardware flasher if you want to start messing with it, which is unusual for most people to have and be able to use.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
Yeah I meant to say Pascal but got them mixed up because I tend to think of their consumer-facing model numbers, not their 'generation' codenames. gently caress AMD and Nvidia for both using codenames that start with P at the same time.

The Illusive Man
Mar 27, 2008

~savior of yoomanity~

Rastor posted:

I love how with WCCFTech articles, I genuinely can't tell if it's an April Fool's prank or a legitimate attempt at a 'scoop'.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
This scares me:

quote:

Thankfully, both Intel and AMD are committed to dedicate a significant portion of supply to gamers only – this will be achieved by validating gamers through their Steam accounts. There will be a standard 1 card per user policy which will have to be further validated by linking your Steam account (which must have at least $100 worth of games and 100 hours of gameplay).

Que? Pinche pendejos.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

yeah it should be more hours of gameplay, you are right

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
And a minimum of 50 games you never touched and forgot you had.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
Don't worry, GamersNexus lets us know they'll be competing with nVidia's Titan W: https://www.gamersnexus.net/news-pc/3273-nvidias-new-titan-w-graphics-card-weissman-gaming-architecture

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Semantically, "you" is both singular and plural, though syntactically it is always plural. It always takes a verb form that originally marked the word as plural.

Also, there is no plural when the context is an argument with an individual rather than a group. Somfin shouldn't put words in my mouth.

couldcareless posted:

And a minimum of 50 games you never touched and forgot you had.

Authentic Steam account spotted.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Should be a thousand game-years of ownership, at least.

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast
come on guys, they're only talking about AMD and Intel gpu's, these people have enough challenges already...

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
Breaking: WCCFtech tries to make the same joke a second time in one day, is not funny this time either

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

official yospos cat censor
Both are nvidia cards because even during april fools no one can be tricked into thinking AMD will release a card this year.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

wargames posted:

Both are nvidia cards because even during april fools no one can be tricked into thinking AMD will release a card this year.

no, I actually mean that WCCF tried to make the same joke twice today, once with AMD instead. I mean, how lazy can you get?

Not that "GPU company releases super-fast GPU that you can't afford" is remotely original or funny in the first place, even if it's GN making it. I actually thought the "GeForce Assist" aimbot from last year was funny, I guess the "GeForce Academy of Gamers" was OK this year, not super funny but at least they put a little more effort into it than GN and WCCF.

:bahgawd:

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

Paul MaudDib posted:

no, I actually mean that WCCF tried to make the same joke twice today, once with AMD instead. I mean, how lazy can you get?

Not that "GPU company releases super-fast GPU that you can't afford" is remotely original or funny in the first place, even if it's GN making it. I actually thought the "GeForce Assist" aimbot from last year was funny, I guess the "GeForce Academy of Gamers" was OK this year, not super funny but at least they put a little more effort into it than GN and WCCF.

:bahgawd:

I feel like there's plenty of low-hanging fruit in the crypto price wars - something like "NVidia introduces integrating kill tracking to combat mining - 11xx cards throttle to 10% for 24 hours if kills/minute drops below 30. Nvidia rep says 'no one playing non-violent games will notice the difference anyway.'" Or something - I'm not terribly funny.

VVV I'll admit I chuckled at the "W" VVV

Stickman fucked around with this message at 07:48 on Apr 2, 2018

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

I liked the GN one solely because of the Dual Titan V = Titan W joke, I didn't click on it though because I can never stand the lovely April Fools fake articles.

90s Solo Cup
Feb 22, 2011

To understand the cup
He must become the cup

"Sure, we hosed up by saying that NVIDIA would unveil their latest graphics cards at GTC 2018, but we know for sure the next-gen cards will be Turing-based, honest!!!"

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

couldcareless posted:

And a minimum of 500 games you never touched and know you have but have no time to actually play.

Yep. :(

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
so, uh, what the hell? are we still boned forever as far as decently-priced GPUs being on the market?

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

so, uh, what the hell? are we still boned forever as far as decently-priced GPUs being on the market?

Prices are coming down very slowly but don't expect changes until there are new cards out, supply needs to increase or prices will stay fairly high. Retailers probably overpaid for their stock too, they don't want to take a loss on their current stock and would rather sell it slowly for a decent profit.

90s Solo Cup
Feb 22, 2011

To understand the cup
He must become the cup

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

Prices are coming down very slowly but don't expect changes until there are new cards out, supply needs to increase or prices will stay fairly high. Retailers probably overpaid for their stock too, they don't want to take a loss on their current stock and would rather sell it slowly for a decent profit.

Prices for GTX 1070s and up seem to be at least $100 higher than MSRP.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Domestic Amuse posted:

Prices for GTX 1070s and up seem to be at least $100 higher than MSRP.

Yes, and? I never said anything about MSRPs, prices are coming down from the highs they were at during the mining boom.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
yeah but will vega ever sell for msrp even 2 years from now?

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Fauxtool posted:

yeah but will vega ever sell for msrp even 2 years from now?

Would it have been profitable to sell a GM200 (980 Ti/Titan X) for $200 even during the Pascal generation? (not talking about firesales here, new-production on an old node) And then add in HBM2 on top of that. Now imagine that GM200 performs as well as the 1060, or maybe 1070 in select situations.

technically correct answer: MSRPs for aftermarket Vegas have increased by $100, the reference MSRP was a fakeout. So yes, they will reach (aftermarket) MSRP pretty soon, they only have another 10-20% to go.

edit: I guess the counterargument is Fiji itself... but AMD was selling that into the compute market for a prolonged period of time and we were getting the sloppy seconds.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 05:59 on Apr 3, 2018

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer
Anyone know anything about 391.35 drivers causing artifacts? I bought a used 1060 6GB off of HardForum and in fullscreen mode pubg has artifacts, but in Fullscreen window they disappear. In space engineers the grass and only the grass artifacts, but if I disable grass everything is fine.

beergod
Nov 1, 2004
NOBODY WANTS TO SEE PICTURES OF YOUR UGLY FUCKING KIDS YOU DIPSHIT
Worth replacing my i5 4590 with an i7 4790k? Trying to keep my rig in place for another year or so.

Running a 1080 at 4K/1440p ultrawide

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

beergod posted:

Worth replacing my i5 4590 with an i7 4790k? Trying to keep my rig in place for another year or so.

Probably not unless you're getting CPU bound in games. The 4790K is still over $300 so it's not easy to justify when that could go towards new stuff.

beergod
Nov 1, 2004
NOBODY WANTS TO SEE PICTURES OF YOUR UGLY FUCKING KIDS YOU DIPSHIT

Rexxed posted:

Probably not unless you're getting CPU bound in games. The 4790K is still over $300 so it's not easy to justify when that could go towards new stuff.

How can I tell? Far cry 5 seems to run like trash.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

beergod posted:

If you can get one cheap, why not. If you have to pay anywhere near MSRP (Intel CPUs don't usually get cheaper as they get older/replaced by new generations), don't bother.

beergod posted:

How can I tell? Far cry 5 seems to run like trash.

Define "like trash"?

ComputerBase benchmarked a handful of CPUs in FarCry 5. In 4k, high settings the difference between a 6 core/12 thread i7 8700k and the older 2 core/4 thread Pentium G4560 is a whopping 15%. The i3-8100 is pretty similar to your i5 and about manages 60 fps (average) in 4k, admittedly with a faster GPU (they used a 1080 Ti). Your setup should be well in GPU-limited territory.

In resolutions where it's not, the game scales well with more threads. CB tested 1080p, going from the 4 core/thread i3-8100 to the 6 core/thread i5-8400 is +20% FPS/+30% frame times. i5-8400 to i7-8700k adds another 15%, approximately. Unless you're willing to decrease the resolution, I don't think a CPU upgrade would help TBH.

orcane fucked around with this message at 10:15 on Apr 3, 2018

A good poster
Jan 10, 2010
Is it wrong of me to wish death upon someone asking for $900 for a 1070 on my local Craigslist?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

A good poster posted:

Is it wrong of me to wish death upon someone asking for $900 for a 1070 on my local Craigslist?

Death is too good for such monsters