Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Also there's maintaining the service to download things costs money and Valve certainly has an upcharge on that so that they make a profit.

I can't reasonably say "well you're saving the money to print it on a disc and ship that", it's more "you're spending that money in a different way".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007

Len posted:

I've always assumed it was because if a company went "our game is x% cheaper digital buy it that way!" Brick and mortar retail stores which I imagine is where most parents buy games for their kids at will go "hey Bethesda gently caress you." And just never stock anything they put out again.
That was the original argument, though less where parents buy what - however

quote:

Also because people have shown time and time again they'll drop full retail on digital only so why should that change?
this is what it really comes down to. On PC at least, there is enough competition between retailers - as strange as that is when they're all basically selling steam keys - that you kinda have to go out of your way to pay full price. Sony isn't too bad on store discounts, but the discounts you can land and their frequency on PC is in a completely different league. Doesn't stop publishers from pushing the 60$ MSRP.

BUT I DIGRESS

I am super stoked to see a lot of my favorite game types migrating to PC. Between DQXI and Monster Hunter World this is going to be a busy second quarter for me.

In other news - I didn't see it mentioned on the last page - how much more content does the 3DS version have? I'm kinda OK taking the hit for roughly another DQ8 in visuals, but I got the impression there was a pretty significant difference.

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

A portly feline wizard waddles forth, muttering something about conjured food.

Shugojin posted:

Also there's maintaining the service to download things costs money and Valve certainly has an upcharge on that so that they make a profit.

I can't reasonably say "well you're saving the money to print it on a disc and ship that", it's more "you're spending that money in a different way".

This makes sense and I understand it, but I find it hard to believe cloud storage, bandwidth, and software maintenance are at equal cost to factory pressing, warehousing, shipping/logistics, and retail space. e: Modern physical games ALSO have cloud storage, bandwidth, and software maintenance on top of that.

I know programmers are highly paid, so maybe the third aspect of the former is a considerable money sink, but until I see some numbers for both sides I'm going to continue my belief that AAA digital games cost too much at launch.

Ofecks fucked around with this message at 13:11 on Mar 30, 2018

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Ofecks posted:

I know programmers are highly paid, so maybe the third aspect of the former is a considerable money sink, but until I see some numbers for both sides I'm going to continue my belief that AAA digital games cost too much at launch.

Not as highly as you'd think in the games industr.

Really, I suspect a good part of the reason why digital games aren't cheaper than physical is because the market isn't treating physical copies as especially desirable anymore. If physical copies cost meaningfully more than digital, even fewer people would opt for physical over digital. Maybe that's not a bad thing, necessarily, but right now publishers/studios are getting away with charging what they are for digital releases so they're not about to stop.

Harrow fucked around with this message at 14:49 on Mar 30, 2018

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca
Cleanse yourself of the lameness of no English 3DS release by GETTING HYPE:
https://twitter.com/VIZMedia/status/979765228220149760

Wendell
May 11, 2003

I am interested in getting a look at that!

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Just so I know what kind of experience to look forward to in DQXI:

Do late-game bosses still do that "wave of ice" thing where they constantly cancel out your buffs but also you really need those buffs so you're constantly re-buffing? Also, is psyching up still a thing?

As much as I enjoyed DQVIII, the interaction between those two things made some of the late-game bosses really annoying to fight, just all the time trying to psych up and "lol no wave of ice psych up again sucker"

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007

Harrow posted:

Just so I know what kind of experience to look forward to in DQXI:

Do late-game bosses still do that "wave of ice" thing where they constantly cancel out your buffs but also you really need those buffs so you're constantly re-buffing? Also, is psyching up still a thing?

As much as I enjoyed DQVIII, the interaction between those two things made some of the late-game bosses really annoying to fight, just all the time trying to psych up and "lol no wave of ice psych up again sucker"

Think you may be overstating the importance of buffs. Yes, they're strong, and yes, wave of ice hurts because of that - but sounds more like you stubbornly beat your head against a wall instead of trying to work other options around a boss specifically having a hard counter to one of your strengths.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Kiggles posted:

Think you may be overstating the importance of buffs. Yes, they're strong, and yes, wave of ice hurts because of that - but sounds more like you stubbornly beat your head against a wall instead of trying to work other options around a boss specifically having a hard counter to one of your strengths.

It was more the way it interacted with psyching up, which was really important for dealing damage to late-game bosses in an MP-efficient way (unless I was playing super wrong).

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
I played the same way, which felt like the most efficient way iirc. A buffed, fully psyched attack did as much damage as like 10 turns of normal attacks so it felt worth it. The sort of game of chicken you'd play with the boss where you'd try to get your psyched up attack in before the wave (meaning it wasn't always a full psych up) was very fun to me.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

MMF Freeway posted:

I played the same way, which felt like the most efficient way iirc. A buffed, fully psyched attack did as much damage as like 10 turns of normal attacks so it felt worth it. The sort of game of chicken you'd play with the boss where you'd try to get your psyched up attack in before the wave (meaning it wasn't always a full psych up) was very fun to me.

Yeah, maybe I just didn't like the psyching up mechanic all that much to begin with. I don't really have an issue with charging attacks before I use them--late-game bosses in Persona games feature a ton of that kind of thing--but the occasional randomness in psyching up, combined with needing to do it multiple times to get a lot of value out of it, didn't really click with me. Waves of ice just added frustration, like "god drat it I finally got to 100 tension and you cancel it gently caress you" sorts of feelings. Though, full disclosure, I also haven't played the game since it came out, so it's been a good long while and I might have a very different experience now.

Still really liked the game, though.

Is psyching up in DQXI? I don't remember if it was in IX or not.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

it was in IX, i remember because one of the few things the main character gets over everyone else is a psych up that targets other party members which is why you don't want your MC to be your main damage-dealer

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Oh right, I remember now. I made my main guy an Armamentalist so he could just focus on buffing everyone I think

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

Psyching Up is best done in moderation. Actually getting to 100, while rad, is hardly ever necessary. I often threw out attacks just at 25, or more if the random element of some of the tension-increasing skills and such in the game happened to line up.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Psyching up has an element of risk and reward, in part because of all the things that can lower your tension back to 0. It's just that in 8, the game that introduced the concept, a large number of the story bosses had the "gently caress all your buffs" Disruptive Wave ability as their signature move. All the other games have had fewer enemies who gently caress you over like that, even 9 which had a lot of really mean bosses in the postgame.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I liked the item that gave everybody a round of psych up

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
The timbrel of tension was amazing and getting two of them is like the most broken thing.

Marogareh
Feb 23, 2011
I liked those boss fights that were nothing but a psyche up race for everyone involved.

Raitzeno
Nov 24, 2007

What? It seemed like
a good idea at the time.

It was also cute how you had maybe 1 or 2 things that could erase enemy tension, and iirc you had to spec into them with skillpoints. If you didn't know they existed and were building a different weapon specialty on those characters, well, sucks for you, enemies can Psyche Up and there's dick-all you can do about it.

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

Raitzeno posted:

It was also cute how you had maybe 1 or 2 things that could erase enemy tension, and iirc you had to spec into them with skillpoints. If you didn't know they existed and were building a different weapon specialty on those characters, well, sucks for you, enemies can Psyche Up and there's dick-all you can do about it.

if you weren’t giving Angelo Charisma then you were playing wrong :colbert:

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

In DQXI, is there any point to moving around during combat? It's still the normal DQ turn-based system in practice, I know. Does positioning matter at all or is it just a "eh, might as well let you move around if you want to I guess" thing?

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

welp, time to grab an emulator and play DQ2.

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007

Harrow posted:

It was more the way it interacted with psyching up, which was really important for dealing damage to late-game bosses in an MP-efficient way (unless I was playing super wrong).

If you weren't enjoy it, then it was wrong. It clearly works, but if efficiency is sort of your thing, then not spending turns buffing means the boss is spending turns doing literally nothing while you lean on low cost abilities doing work every single turn. Suggestion of course. It's mostly that you didn't have fun with playing that way and those encounters are basically specifically tailored to discourage playing that way.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

Freakazoid_ posted:

Don't play the NES version or rather, don't play DQ2 and read a let's play on it. It is a terrible game that is not balanced at all and full of bad design decisions. Play DQ3 and imagine it is DQ2 without any dungeons of one turn party-wipe casters.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Freakazoid_ posted:

No don't you have so much to live for

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Wendell posted:

I am interested in getting a look at that!

It’s pretty neat, although it mostly has the actual finished character art and not a boatload of rough drafts like I was hoping. And it’s missing the vocation artwork for 7 3DS, but other than that it’s a cool way to see promotional/obscure artwork and Toriyama’s art style change through the years.

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

Harrow posted:

In DQXI, is there any point to moving around during combat? It's still the normal DQ turn-based system in practice, I know. Does positioning matter at all or is it just a "eh, might as well let you move around if you want to I guess" thing?

It's pointless and actively makes the combat lamer. Turning it off enables the classic 8/9 style where the camera cuts around and shows you doing stuff in a way that has weight whereas having free move on disables that and makes everything look super unimpressive.

Also psyching up isn't in the game there's some new limit breaky thing where you can do dual triple and quad techs with your teammates instead.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Zaggitz posted:

It's pointless and actively makes the combat lamer. Turning it off enables the classic 8/9 style where the camera cuts around and shows you doing stuff in a way that has weight whereas having free move on disables that and makes everything look super unimpressive.

Also psyching up isn't in the game there's some new limit breaky thing where you can do dual triple and quad techs with your teammates instead.

That all sounds pretty rad. I was planning on turning the movement off anyway so it's good to know I won't be missing anything. And that team attack thing sounds fun.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

If you're going to play Dragon Quest 2, play the mobile version, even though it's ugly compared to the Super Famicom version.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Alxprit posted:

Psyching Up is best done in moderation. Actually getting to 100, while rad, is hardly ever necessary. I often threw out attacks just at 25, or more if the random element of some of the tension-increasing skills and such in the game happened to line up.

You should be psyching up to 100 to watch your hero character go :ssj:

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

raditts posted:

You should be psyching up to 100 to watch your hero character go :ssj:

That was an addition to the US PS2 release, absent from the 3DS release, so be careful.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Which DQ games have you go :ssj:?

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Scalding Coffee posted:

Which DQ games have you go :ssj:?

The tension mechanic exists in 8 and 9. In the US PS2 version of 8, at max tension, the hero's hair changes and becomes spiky.

Keito
Jul 21, 2005

WHAT DO I CHOOSE ?

Scalding Coffee posted:

Don't play the NES version or rather, don't play DQ2 and read a let's play on it. It is a terrible game that is not balanced at all and full of bad design decisions. Play DQ3 and imagine it is DQ2 without any dungeons of one turn party-wipe casters.

Bad opinions. DQ2 SFC at least is an excellent, open-ended game with some of the best music in the series. Late-game enemies might have 1HKO spells, but so does your party along with revivals too unless you've run from every battle, so it doesn't feel unfair.

It's crazy how many improvements and additions DQ2 brought to the table after the first game, so the whole "DQ2 is bad" meme gets tiring. The exploration gameplay and world is excellent.

So yeah, I for one was really happy to hear that DQB2 will take place in DQ2's setting. Gonna be great.

Wendell
May 11, 2003

Maybe it isn’t a meme, maybe it is a commonly held genuine opinion that Dragon Quest 2 is bad. You would feel very sad if I said the Dragon Quest 2 Is Good, Actually meme was tired, because it would be handwaving your opinion! Please be respectful.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

I played the poo poo out of Dragon Warrior as a kid, and DW2 put me off the series until DQ8 came out.

Bongo Bill posted:

That was an addition to the US PS2 release, absent from the 3DS release, so be careful.

What?? Lame.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I wanted to play the 3DS version of DQVIII but I think I’d really miss the reorchestrated soundtrack. I know it was just for the Western release and that makes me a dumb American baby, but the orchestrated soundtrack was so drat pretty.

If I ever do replay it I’m gonna name the hero Guv though

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

My only experience with DQ2 has been playing the fan translation of the SNES version and I found it to be like Final Fantasy 2; interesting for what it did for the series but otherwise a rather unfun slog to play through.

Had some pretty good tunes tho.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Love to slog up a big tower to get a cape just so that I fall slightly further when I jump off of a different tower and then almost immediately get a fuckin boat after that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vakal
May 11, 2008
I still have the poster that came with my copy of Dragon Warrior 1.

As a kid I thought it was the coolest thing ever, but in retrospect it is a really weird design for a dragon that has no relation to anything in the actual game.