Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Can you keep playing after the story, or do you get a checkpoint to go do all the fun stuff after the crappy story?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nessin
Feb 7, 2010

Ultimate Mango posted:

Can you keep playing after the story, or do you get a checkpoint to go do all the fun stuff after the crappy story?

You can keep playing after the story. You go to the menu after the credits and can continue the save like normal.

Mr Scumbag
Jun 6, 2007

You're a fucking cocksucker, Jonathan

nexus6 posted:

So is there no middle ground between "enemies spawning every 30 feet" and 'defeat a Seed and stop all spawns"?

Re-enrol in highschool and kill your classmates and teachers.

If you're already in highschool or a teacher this is even easier so good for you.

'MERICA!

Eyud
Aug 5, 2006

This game is fun like Far Cry always is but god drat the story and characters are so bad.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

Eyud posted:

This game is fun like Far Cry always is but god drat the story and characters are so bad.

It really sucks that Ubisoft doesn't even have the gall to really mock militia movements or christian cults, but here we are I guess. I wonder how bored the people who played the Seeds were saying their roles? Probably didn't have as much fun as the dude who played - what was his name from 4? Let alone Michael Mando as Vaas.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY

nexus6 posted:

So is there no middle ground between "enemies spawning every 30 feet" and 'defeat a Seed and stop all spawns"?

Monkey's paw, bitches.

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you

Crabtree posted:

It really sucks that Ubisoft doesn't even have the gall to really mock militia movements or christian cults, but here we are I guess. I wonder how bored the people who played the Seeds were saying their roles? Probably didn't have as much fun as the dude who played - what was his name from 4? Let alone Michael Mando as Vaas.

Pagan Min, and agreed. An okay character made great by the VA's nuance.

*Edit -

Morter posted:

That would be Troy Baker who played Pagan, and Troy Baker generally owns

Yep!

isk fucked around with this message at 17:36 on Mar 31, 2018

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY
That would be Troy Baker who played Pagan, and Troy Baker generally owns

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

isk posted:

Pagan Min, and agreed. An okay character made great by the VA's nuance.

I thought that Faith's VA was pretty good imo, she got that "righteous anger" thing down pretty well, in the sense that she has total faith but also sees things going to poo poo as you interact with her. The soldier brother was probably the worst, he mumbles "cull the herd" like he is answering questions in study hall.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
every time Joseph appears i can't stop laughing because he looks like Elijah Wood in I Don't Feel at Home in This World Anymore (where he plays a goony "tough guy" that carries around throwing stars)

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

precision posted:

every time Joseph appears i can't stop laughing because he looks like Elijah Wood in I Don't Feel at Home in This World Anymore (where he plays a goony "tough guy" that carries around throwing stars)

I'm pretty sure that dudes with man buns cannot be threatening by law

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
I honestly can't tell the difference between the seed brothers as they look so goddamn similar that its almost pointless to have them be separate characters doing - I dunno, THINGS DIFFERENTLY in this cult. Too many pointless characters that just exist, too many drug out moments that take away player agency just because they could, too much time divided out to not really build up a character into something you'd care about.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

DreamShipWrecked posted:

I thought that Faith's VA was pretty good imo, she got that "righteous anger" thing down pretty well, in the sense that she has total faith but also sees things going to poo poo as you interact with her. The soldier brother was probably the worst, he mumbles "cull the herd" like he is answering questions in study hall.

i though the father and faith were the best acted. jacob just mumbles and his plot is dumb, john is alright but i only encountered him once so far. faith if better written would be depressing character. with better writing they would be interesting/tragic villians. the father is alright, the actor has some good quiet religious nuttiness to him.

the resistance type story missions are fine. my biggest issue with the story set up is that every encounter with sibling(outside the end) is a protracted cut scene with no mission attached. outside maybe johns area. faiths is the worst area because there basicaly is no story missions at all.

DreamShipWrecked posted:

Summary of the ending, in order: :confused: :magical: :cripes:

Boss fight was bad. Chain reviving people as a game mechanic? Blah. Escape sequence was metal as hell, loved that. Ending? Total garbage. Why does this dude have infinite plot armor. gently caress that.

the theories i have heard is, its either all a hallucination, which seems likely. or the cult blew a bunch of bombs nukes up because Montana has a ton of nukes in storage. but yeah the ending is poo poo, i dont mind bleak endings but they need to earn it. this didn't.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Ohhh noooo the writers are in love with their waaaaaacky characters and their oooh strong powerful cult of personality villains noooo

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Crabtree posted:

I honestly can't tell the difference between the seed brothers as they look so goddamn similar that its almost pointless to have them be separate characters doing - I dunno, THINGS DIFFERENTLY in this cult. Too many pointless characters that just exist, too many drug out moments that take away player agency just because they could, too much time divided out to not really build up a character into something you'd care about.

the seeds could have been interesting if they had better defined personalities and had actual missions tied to them. what sucks is i genuinely like the aesthetic design of the cult. i also kinda wish their was almost a crackdown/mordor type system to them. like if you got jacob first, the cult would have shittier gear and training in the other regions.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I think Jacob does a slightly better job than John. I've only had one Faith event and my eyes rolled out of my head. I got a second Jacob event last night but my resistance in his zone is a few hundred short of the next break point, so I don't think they happen at exactly the break points unless I got a weird bug. I think maybe they happen based on total RP (the raw number, not the level) so that you can't put yourself in a situation where you literally get kidnapped 3 times in a row.

shut up blegum
Dec 17, 2008

--->Plastic Lawn<---

Crabtree posted:

Same. I thought that Joseph guy was the father, and that's why I didn't touch that area at first. I zoned out in most of the cutscenes tbh

EDIT: I'm confusing Joseph and Jacob, so yeah, like the guy below says :shrug:

shut up blegum fucked around with this message at 18:18 on Mar 31, 2018

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Crabtree posted:

It doesn't help that they all have the same name. Joseph, Jacob, John.

Noirex
May 30, 2006

I can barely tell the difference between 3 white bearded Jared Letos of differing ages. I wish they had done something more interesting with their appearances and personalities. No idea about Faith yet since I haven't met her, but her songs sounds pretty I guess?

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

DreamShipWrecked posted:

It doesn't help that they all have the same name. Joseph, Jacob, John.

my friend have you read the GOOD BOOK

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

precision posted:

my friend have you read the GOOD BOOK

John, Jacob, Jingleheimer Schmidt. The father, the son, the holy ghost.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Faith's section seems the best. Cause her VA is better and her capture "missions" are zero effort so I can just look at my phone til they're done unlike the annoyance of John and Jacob's jarring gameplay limitations.

DreamShipWrecked posted:

I'm pretty sure that dudes with man buns cannot be threatening by law

Well white dudes anyway. Samurai movies show that plenty of Japanese actors manage it.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
The sheer quantity of assets that make almost every location unique is really impressive. That and the design work involved in not making every point of interest some variation of a tower or guard outpost.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Calaveron posted:

Ohhh noooo the writers are in love with their waaaaaacky characters and their oooh strong powerful cult of personality villains noooo

i think the main problem is that strong powerful cult of personality villains should probably have, I dunno, a personality. the seeds are too boring to even be called generic, they're like blander-than-average villains so the whole idea of someone like joseph seed running a cult makes no sense because the guy has no charisma or charm at all

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Rinkles posted:

The sheer quantity of assets that make almost every location unique is really impressive. That and the design work involved in not making every point of interest some variation of a tower or guard outpost.

I think it'll go a long way towards me not burning out as quickly as I usually do with these games. Exploration and progress* feels more freeform, and as a result I'm not falling into typical checklist monotony (at least not yet). There's more to do and it's more varied.

*Although I'm not quite sold on their perk acquisition system.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Earwicker posted:

i think the main problem is that strong powerful cult of personality villains should probably have, I dunno, a personality. the seeds are too boring to even be called generic, they're like blander-than-average villains so the whole idea of someone like joseph seed running a cult makes no sense because the guy has no charisma or charm at all

i think they blew their load with pagan min. a good villain is either someone you can sorta empathize with or if you can't do/write that. they make you hate them. the seeds don't do either. at least with assassins creed, most of the villians are interesting or at least hateable. the game needed a voiced protag but the plot would collapse even more if there was one.

Dapper_Swindler fucked around with this message at 18:42 on Mar 31, 2018

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Their cult and their cultists are also utterly unbelievable.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Rinkles posted:

Their cult and their cultists are also utterly unbelievable.

kinda. the overt super violence is "passable" because of death cults like ISIS make poo poo like this look like PBS fun time. the problem is outside some nods to the seven seals and joe hearing voices maybe. they don't have poo poo. i don't mind that they didnt go "they are nazis alt right types" but gently caress me just make more cult poo poo up. just dig into the bible and the various other weird side texts and go nuts.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Dapper_Swindler posted:

i think they blew their load with pagan min. a good villain is either someone you can sorta empathize with or if you can't do/write that. they make you hate them. the seeds don't do either. at least with assassins creed, most of the villians are interesting or at least hateable. the game needed a voiced protag but the plot would collapse even more if there was one.

maybe thats why they do the forced story missions. they can't write characters well enough to make you hate the villains for story or characterization reasons, so they make you hate them by interrupting the actual fun part of the game

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Earwicker posted:

maybe thats why they do the forced story missions. they can't write characters well enough to make you hate the villains for story or characterization reasons, so they make you hate them by interrupting the actual fun part of the game

maybe. i'll say that good/great villains are hard to do. pagan min was a lightning in caught in bottle. the right voice acting with the right kind of portrayal and interactions and he works with the themes of the game. everything has to be right for it to all work right.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Dapper_Swindler posted:

kinda. the overt super violence is "passable" because of death cults like ISIS make poo poo like this look like PBS fun time.

you can look at ISIS and if you study even the basics of the history of the region, you can probably figure out why someone in that area might be motivated sign up to fight and die for them as a soldier.

there's no reason that makes any kind of sense for hundreds of people to sign up to kill and die in the pickup truck army of some dude that looks like he just quit his job at starbucks, and who doesnt seem to have any kind of ideology or belief system behind him other than mumbling random bits of biblical sounding text

its too bad because cults are an interesting phenomenon and there have been a lot of weird and fascinating cults in American history. but this poo poo is so shoddily thrown together that calling it half-assed sounds like too much praise. i mean having either a charismatic cult leader or some other pressing reason for people to actually join and follow the cult in question is kind of the most basic thing you need, and there's nothing here.

Earwicker fucked around with this message at 18:55 on Mar 31, 2018

Pozload Escobar
Aug 21, 2016

by Reene
I bet they were gonna go in deeper on the religious right wing militia chuds angle but chickened out

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Earwicker posted:

you can look at ISIS and if you study even the basics of the history of the region, you can probably figure out why someone in that area might be motivated sign up to fight and die for them as a soldier.

there's no reason that makes any kind of sense for hundreds of people to sign up to kill and die in the pickup truck army of some dude that looks like he just quit his job at starbucks, and who doesnt seem to have any kind of ideology or belief system behind him other than mumbling random bits of biblical sounding text

no poo poo(also all the dumb kids from the west who signed up for isis) anyway. id say for all its various issues. bioshock infinite did the weird cult poo poo better. you can understand to an extent why someone would follow Comstock.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

A Buff Gay Dude posted:

I bet they were gonna go in deeper on the religious right wing militia chuds angle but chickened out

maybe, maybe in the very early development, i mean yeah you can make interesting/scary/compelling nazis like deathshead. but i think making all the bad guys chuds would be boring, because it would basicaly be "look at the dumb alt right chud rear end in a top hat say racist/sexist poo poo, now shoot him in the head" also, it wouldnt age well. i think cults/psycho religious sects are more interesting. you know when they are done right.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

Does this game ever get harder? I've killed faith and I'm really well.geared now. Nothing is a threat to me anymore.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

kidkissinger posted:

Does this game ever get harder? I've killed faith and I'm really well.geared now. Nothing is a threat to me anymore.

sorta. stuff can gently caress you up if gang up on you, but no, not really.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Earwicker posted:

its too bad because cults are an interesting phenomenon and there have been a lot of weird and fascinating cults in American history. but this poo poo is so shoddily thrown together that calling it half-assed sounds like too much praise. i mean having either a charismatic cult leader or some other pressing reason for people to actually join and follow the cult in question is kind of the most basic thing you need, and there's nothing here.

The scale is pretty messed up as well. The story would be absolutely believable if the cult had twenty members, weird crazy sects happen all the time. But of course the game would be over in ten minutes if that was the case, so instead Man Bun has the sheer charisma to command thousands of people who apparently eat nothing but canned beans and ammunition.

I mean, even Waco only had 130 cultists. This is more of a small nation.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010
Also uh, the cult is significantly more diverse then the Resistance.

Like it's REALLY WEIRD that they went for the "this is rural Montana, there is a single black person here." for the good guys, but the bad guys are 50/50/50 and all are represented equally.

shut up blegum
Dec 17, 2008

--->Plastic Lawn<---

Rookersh posted:

Also uh, the cult is significantly more diverse then the Resistance.

Like it's REALLY WEIRD that they went for the "this is rural Montana, there is a single black person here." for the good guys, but the bad guys are 50/50/50 and all are represented equally.

What are you talking about? I've met loads of black people in the game?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

shut up blegum posted:

What are you talking about? I've met loads of black people in the game?

this. a lot of the resistance were minorities too.