Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
I've just been informed there's an episode of Mr.Belvedere where a kid has AIDS and actually says "Well I have AIDS, but other than that, I'm pretty good!"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2SE1SWashuU

Fuckin' incredible. There's also a REALLY off-color racial joke in episode that I shan't spoil. I just found this series, seems good.

El Gallinero Gros has a new favorite as of 18:59 on Mar 31, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

https://twitter.com/garya1an/status/979788746424897536

- There's a rumor that a 'The Nanny' revival is in the works.
- Fran Drescher had a meeting with the Nanny writers and posted it to instagram.
- “As far as a reboot goes, I would be open to it if somebody wanted to do it,” revealed Drescher. “I am in touch, definitely. Renee Taylor (Sylvia Fine) is a good friend of mine, Charlie [Shaughnessy] (Maxwell Sheffield) is a good friend of mine. Recently I reconnected with Nicholle Tom (Maggie Sheffield), and periodically I speak to everyone, but I’m very good friends with Charlie and Renee, for sure.”

Sarcopenia
May 14, 2014

Koalas March posted:

- Fran Drescher had a meeting with the Nanny writers and posted it to instagram.
- “As far as a reboot goes, I would be open to it if somebody wanted to do it,” revealed Drescher. “I am in touch, definitely. Renee Taylor (Sylvia Fine) is a good friend of mine, Charlie [Shaughnessy] (Maxwell Sheffield) is a good friend of mine. Recently I reconnected with Nicholle Tom (Maggie Sheffield), and periodically I speak to everyone, but I’m very good friends with Charlie and Renee, for sure.”

YAAAAAAAAS.
I contrast to Barr, Drescher is also crazy but in a "My friend and I were raped in front of my husband and dealt with trauma by believing in aliens kind of way". :unsmith:
I haven't seen it in a long time but I looooved that show back in the day and the concept isn't something that would be dated.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Sarcopenia posted:

YAAAAAAAAS.
I contrast to Barr, Drescher is also crazy but in a "My friend and I were raped in front of my husband and dealt with trauma by believing in aliens kind of way". :unsmith:
I haven't seen it in a long time but I looooved that show back in the day and the concept isn't something that would be dated.

Whoa, I never heard about that one. Jesus loving christ.

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

There’s an episode of Murder She Wrote where one of the suspects emphasizes how angry he was in in a flashback by saying “of course I was mad, I have 3 kinds of Latin blood in me”

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I'm sure at least one of them was Pig Latin.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003
I love Quantum Leap and am now afraid of watching it again to see if any of the writing has aged poorly.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

Mooseontheloose posted:

I love Quantum Leap and am now afraid of watching it again to see if any of the writing has aged poorly.

Nope, looks good from here.

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

Mooseontheloose posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jYmn3Gwn3oI

Not Operator
Jan 1, 2009

Not A doctor, THE Doctor!

Mooseontheloose posted:

Every show you ever loved is actually just five or six high points amid a hundred hours of garbage.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Koalas March posted:

Well, I guess that since Roseanne seems to have been a success, I am sure all kinds of sitcoms are getting dusted off and TV execs are hurriedly checking whether the stars have been caught doing naughty stuff.

Jollity Farm
Apr 23, 2010

I remembered an episode of Red Dwarf, probably from the early nineties, where Lister is recounting the tale of losing his virginity. Rimmer asks him how old he was, and Lister replies that he was twelve. Rimmer's reaction is one of envy that Lister of all people could be so lucky as that. I am not sure such a joke would be made now, although plenty of people still have Rimmer's reaction to such stories, so perhaps they would.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Remember that Rimmer is supposed to be an absolutely grotesque excuse for a person so him having that reaction doesn't necessarily mean the writers agree with him.

Jollity Farm
Apr 23, 2010

This is true, though I don't remember it being presented as something disgusting. Mind you, it is literally decades since I saw it, and I can't actually remember which episode it was, so this may just be my brain getting it mixed up with other creepy men I've met since :shobon:

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

NEVER play "Lady of Spain" AGAIN!

Not a Children posted:

There’s an episode of Murder She Wrote where one of the suspects emphasizes how angry he was in in a flashback by saying “of course I was mad, I have 3 kinds of Latin blood in me”

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Krispy Wafer posted:

Nope, looks good from here.

Wait I've assumed all these years it's a photoshop

Not Operator
Jan 1, 2009

Not A doctor, THE Doctor!
I.. actually think it was reasonably respectful, all things considered?

I am 100% not going back to check though, ever.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer
At the very least it's a period show so it can reasonably show people being asses as long as it was historically accurate for the time.

If they make a Quantum Leap revival they'll make Beckett leap into the body of a cop standing over the dead body of an unarmed black man. And it'll be okay because that's still totally normal behavior.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Jollity Farm posted:

I remembered an episode of Red Dwarf, probably from the early nineties, where Lister is recounting the tale of losing his virginity. Rimmer asks him how old he was, and Lister replies that he was twelve. Rimmer's reaction is one of envy that Lister of all people could be so lucky as that. I am not sure such a joke would be made now, although plenty of people still have Rimmer's reaction to such stories, so perhaps they would.

No, no, Rimmer is horrified because Lister did it on a golf course but wasn't a member of the club and hadn't paid any green fees.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

Wheat Loaf posted:

No, no, Rimmer is horrified because Lister did it on a golf course but wasn't a member of the club and hadn't paid any green fees.

Nah he was horrified before that, the spoilered part was an additional observation afterwards.

e. Actually just watched it again, your recollection was more accurate

dissss has a new favorite as of 22:57 on Mar 31, 2018

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Regardless, it's still a bit odd to hear in any case Lister casually discussing losing his virginity to an older woman when he was 12 like it's just one of those things that happens, however Rimmer reacted. You probably wouldn't get that as part of a joke nowadays.

I think "Marooned" is probably the best episode of the series in any event. It's either that or "Back To Reality".

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty

EmmyOk posted:

Wait I've assumed all these years it's a photoshop

Nope, in fact it's one of the only cases where Sam leaped into the same person again seasons later. That one starts out with the guy running some heavy lifting construction equipment (because despite his disability, as the first time taught, he is still fully capable of a real job, dammit), and Sam realizes who is by looking in the side mirror, and gets all excited and distracted and mildly crashes, but everyone takes it easy on the guy because of who he is.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
Quantum Leap suffers from being a bit over earnest sometimes, and tripping over gimmick episodes too often in later seasons. Otherwise it’s aged really well. Have no fear, watch it again, bear in mind Al’s attitude to women isn’t actually as bad as it sometimes looks.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Rahonavis posted:

On-topic: you know how every so often, "Ren and Stimpy" would have an episode that felt, like, wrong somehow? Welp. :allbuttons:

Could you please expand on this a bit? Because every episode of Ren and Stimpy felt wrong. Wasn't that the point? Has some new revelations come to light, or is it just a case of "Holy poo poo I was a hosed up kid for enjoying that"?

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Randalor posted:

Could you please expand on this a bit? Because every episode of Ren and Stimpy felt wrong. Wasn't that the point? Has some new revelations come to light, or is it just a case of "Holy poo poo I was a hosed up kid for enjoying that"?

Fart City posted:

Big write up about John K’s (creator of Ren & Stimpy) long history of grooming/preying on young girls.

I’d long heard him to be a creepy dude, but I didn’t know it was that bad.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
If we're talking about show which might make a comeback, can I suggest one I hope doesn't?

The Pretender.

It was a show about a super smart guy who could learn any skill perfectly and can pretend to be anyone. Each episode was him pretending to be someone new while on the run from the evil organisation which trained him. Well, that's how it started, it very quickly turned into the most sadistic power fantasy revenge bullshit imaginable as the main character would go to a new place, see someone he didn't like and then destroy their life in the most horrific ways.

I've never watched a show that just got so mean spirited and nasty.

AvesPKS
Sep 26, 2004

I don't dance unless I'm totally wasted.

Gorilla Salad posted:

If we're talking about show which might make a comeback, can I suggest one I hope doesn't?

The Pretender.

It was a show about a super smart guy who could learn any skill perfectly and can pretend to be anyone. Each episode was him pretending to be someone new while on the run from the evil organisation which trained him. Well, that's how it started, it very quickly turned into the most sadistic power fantasy revenge bullshit imaginable as the main character would go to a new place, see someone he didn't like and then destroy their life in the most horrific ways.

I've never watched a show that just got so mean spirited and nasty.

I never understood how his 'power' was supposed to work. I remember in the pilot it shows him as a kid figuring out who killed JFK by recreating Lee Harvey Oswald's actions, and like I got how he could become a sniper, but not necessarily Lee Harvey Oswald.

Mad Doctor Cthulhu
Mar 3, 2008

AvesPKS posted:

I never understood how his 'power' was supposed to work. I remember in the pilot it shows him as a kid figuring out who killed JFK by recreating Lee Harvey Oswald's actions, and like I got how he could become a sniper, but not necessarily Lee Harvey Oswald.

I think he was just smart and malleable to the point of being able to learn about anything in a short period of time, to the point of becoming a genius about it. Therefore, he was able to step into any role and possibly any life and generally act like he should be there. A sort of honest mimicry, an idiot savant without any of the downsides such as sociopathy? I can't tell, I only saw a bit of the series to know that the name 'Pretender' was a bit silly. He wasn't pretending anything, he just was able to learn anything really quickly.

And honestly, is anybody getting sick of shows coming back simply because The X-Files did it? I'm torn because hey, more shows of a show I like, but it never seems the same and it stinks of executive and creative laziness.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Sounds a bit like Taskmaster. Or maybe Agent 47.

A Hitman TV show might be great.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
Burn Notice was kind of a Hitman TV show where Agent 47 gotta scrape around

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!

Mad Doctor Cthulhu posted:

And honestly, is anybody getting sick of shows coming back simply because The X-Files did it? I'm torn because hey, more shows of a show I like, but it never seems the same and it stinks of executive and creative laziness.

I've said before I'd probably find a 70s Show comeback as a 90s Show to be interesting enough to watch a few times to see if it was any good.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Thing is about That 70s Show is that it wasn't really at all about the 70s.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

Inescapable Duck posted:

A Hitman TV show might be great.
I’m torn between a) You love the Hitman movies, think they’re great and want more of the same only a third the length and every week or b) have never seen a Hitman movie due to you being below the age at which people are commonly admitted to these films, and are commensurately filled with insanely naive optimism.
No normal person would conclude ‘great’ as a possible outcome of a Hitman tv series, is what I’m saying.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Eh? I've never seen the movies. I'm talking about the games. (also not the comic book) Are you talking about the movies based on the games or something else?

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Samuringa posted:

Burn Notice was kind of a Hitman TV show where Agent 47 gotta scrape around

Burn Notice was more like GTA but you're a good guy. Person of Interest was Watch_Dogs before it came into existence. Westworld is Five Nights at Freddy with a budget and sex.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer
I thought all these series revivals were more about actors just having kind of a victory lap and maybe exploring short topical story lines they couldn't do before. TV nowadays allows a lot more flexibility to do one-off seasons and then the actors go back to doing whatever the gently caress else they were doing. Kind of like how anthology series work.

I didn't realize they wanted to actually bring back these shows like....for SEASONS. Now Will & Grace is back for 3 seasons and Rosanne for 2? I'm not sure how I feel about this. Case in point Rosanne. It was a funny episode and it's great reliving these characters, but I could have sworn I saw a lot more 'actor looking over the shoulder of another actor to see his cue card' than I ever remember seeing during it's original run. I'm not sure these actors are really into this like the first time around and this has the potential to really overstay it's welcome.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

Inescapable Duck posted:

Eh? I've never seen the movies. I'm talking about the games. (also not the comic book) Are you talking about the movies based on the games or something else?

I’m saying the games are of varying quality, and everything with the Hitman brand that isn’t a game is poo poo. The books are poo poo, the movies are poo poo: no one should have any expectation of ‘greatness’ from a t.v series based on the 100% poo poo rate already established by the idiots in charge of this franchise.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Okay, yeah. I suppose I can just watch Golgo 13 anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Brother Entropy posted:

Ren and Stimpy creator revelations.

Is there a smilie that encapsulates both a feeling of disturbing shock and yet at the same time not at all surprised that the guy who portrays girls in his cartoons as oversexualized underage teenagers would be a sexual predator? This is like Jimmy Savile all over again where all the signs are there, just no one was able (or willing) to put them together.