Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Im at like chapter 13 or so of World of Final Fantasy and this game is not very good. Its got a bad leveling mechanic, combat mechanics that encourage spamming items aka not using your monsters abilities, and wasting your time by making Reyn and Lann ben in all your stacks (I know beating the game changes this but uhhhh).

Plus it calls Midgar Nibelheim which is driving me bonkers

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Barudak posted:

Im at like chapter 13 or so of World of Final Fantasy and this game is not very good. Its got a bad leveling mechanic, combat mechanics that encourage spamming items aka not using your monsters abilities, and wasting your time by making Reyn and Lann ben in all your stacks (I know beating the game changes this but uhhhh).

I don't even remember items being in that game?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Yeah, I never needed to spam items in WoFF and I did everything in the game.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Maybe its where Im at in the game or something but items massively outclass both my damage and my healing amd have all the status effects so so far every boss fight is just use items and leisurely win while using my AP abilities maybe once or twice a fight.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Barudak posted:

Maybe its where Im at in the game or something but items massively outclass both my damage and my healing amd have all the status effects so so far every boss fight is just use items and leisurely win while using my AP abilities maybe once or twice a fight.

I used a baby behemoth, ifirt, shiva, ramuh, a magitek armor, and a white dragon, spent the entire game leveling them and transofrming them as other boards became available and I wanted to mix things up. Never had issues with leveling (though yes, having all your 'pokemon' start at level 1 when you get them at level 40 was a bad design choice) and I think I used a few items to hit the odd weakness qualifier I didn't have coverage of. WoFF was real good and I hope we get another game for them to iron out the issues. I would've loved to get into the multiplayer with some more interesting all monster builds but didn't have PS+.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Barudak posted:

that area is actually more Kalm than anything

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
Not all sewer levels are bad.

Sewer surfin' from TMNT4, for example.

lobster22221
Jul 11, 2017

seiferguy posted:

Chrono Trigger's has an alright one. Probably because it is short, has an acceptable gimmick, and its Chrono Trigger. Probably the weakest point in a great game though.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

lobster22221 posted:

Chrono Trigger's has an alright one. Probably because it is short, has an acceptable gimmick, and its Chrono Trigger. Probably the weakest point in a great game though.

It’s even optional. :love:

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Die Sexmonster! posted:

It’s even optional. :love:

Uhh, you still have to get to Death Peak and Belthasar at some point.

lobster22221
Jul 11, 2017

seiferguy posted:

Uhh, you still have to get to Death Peak and Belthasar at some point.

By the time you have to go, you can wipe the floor with those enemies. Hell, its actually possible to go through it as soon as you have access to it, speeding things up even more.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
"Hey, haven't we seen the crest on those doors before?"

*flashback to a totally optional area from way back at the start of the game that is really out of the way that you'd have had no reason to go to and very probably never actually visited*

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

seiferguy posted:

Eternal Sonata made the bold move of having the sewer level be the literal second area with monsters in the game so it's just a straight shot and, like, two switches. Putting it early on enough that it has to be trivial makes it tolerable!

(Eternal Sonata is not a well designed game. I love it anyway even though it's trash.)

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

DACK FAYDEN posted:

Eternal Sonata made the bold move of having the sewer level be the literal second area with monsters in the game so it's just a straight shot and, like, two switches. Putting it early on enough that it has to be trivial makes it tolerable!

(Eternal Sonata is not a well designed game. I love it anyway even though it's trash.)

eternal sonata or, the very philosophical caterpillar

lobster22221
Jul 11, 2017

DACK FAYDEN posted:

I love it anyway even though it's trash.

Isn't that why we are all here?

Shoenin
May 29, 2013

Everynight I wake up Screaming.
(and beating the dragon)

seiferguy posted:

The turtles live in the sewers so they better make their home drat good.
I miss non-terrible Konami and good TMNT games

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

seiferguy posted:

After playing Tales of Symphonia every sewer level seems “not that bad.”

At least the game has the decency to let you quick jump through it once you beat it.

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

Barudak posted:

I'm not sure what you're doing that means items are outclassing your damage other than maybe you're just under leveled because level differential plays a large role in damage calculations, especially if you're the one that's low. also make sure you're hitting weaknesses, I guess.

in terms of leveling, I feel like it takes maybe 5-7 battles at most, usually, if you put a new mirage in your stack, to get them leveled up to a reasonable place for wherever you are (more if you're just going off of auxiliary exp from being in the party). I dunno, what are you using in your stacks?

lobster22221
Jul 11, 2017

ROFL Octopus posted:

After playing Tales of Symphonia every sewer level seems “not that bad.”

At least the game has the decency to let you quick jump through it once you beat it.

I like how there is a skit acknowledging that there should be a quick jump in one of the long dungeons. That game's dungeons went from super short to way too long.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Is it weird that I kind of enjoyed Noctis's route in Chapter 13? Practicing timed dodges and just blowing enemies up with Holy has been pretty fun.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
I liked Ch13 too but it definitely seems to be a minority opinion

The ring buff is definitely welcome though, this thing is supposed to be some sort of weapon of mass destruction, after all. It's actually a weapon you would voluntarily use now.

I have absolutely no idea what is going on with the new Armiger and the practice room for it in the tutorial menu doesn't exactly do a good job of explaining what is going on. I tried using it against Lv99 practice Aranea and just instantly ate poo poo.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

The White Dragon posted:

eternal sonata or, the very philosophical caterpillar
I played the PS3 version so at least the environmentalism didn't come completely out of left field and there was a real boss fight, but that caterpillar in the ending still made zero sense.

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

Sapozhnik posted:

I liked Ch13 too but it definitely seems to be a minority opinion

At release it wasn't very fun to play and dragged on for way to long. But i liked the atmosphere and idea of it. Especially when saving/setting up camp and it was just noctis all alone in a room with no camp music. No food to be made. No photos to look at. Stuff that you were used to doing by routine at that point in the game just being gone really emphazised how things had gone to poo poo for him. What a bummer.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

I liked chapter 13 but it did go on a bit long compared to other segments in the game. I also played it after they upgraded the ring, so it never bothered me. But I was baffled by people talking about the 'forced stealth' segment b/c even before the update there is no way I would have been stealthing through that rather than dodging and using the ring.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

It's about twice as long as it should be and the unkillable boss grinds my gears, otherwise it's ok now.

aegof
Mar 2, 2011

I enjoyed Ch13 more than Titan, Leviathan, or the ignis dungeon, even if it did go on a while and I got really annoyed by the not-dead bodies everywhere.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

It's definitely way too long, but in general I liked the idea of ch.13.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
ya just everything to do with altissia is extremely bad, including their attempts to patch it via episode ignis because none of that dlc makes the slightest bit of sense from start to (either) finish

just peak ff13 syndrome: hey look at these cool explody flashy set pieces. pay no attention to the fact that nobody's actions make the slightest bit of goddamn sense

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Altissia made me hate gondolas forever.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I'm in Chapter 14 now and for some reason ever since I got the team back together at the end of Chapter 13, I can't switch to controlling other party members anymore, even when I go back to the open world through Umbra. Any reason for that? A bug or something?

Edit: Huh, never mind, resolved itself. Weird.

Harrow fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Mar 31, 2018

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
How are you supposed to use the ring? I played with no HUD so I didn't get any control prompts, and holding down the attack button just did some weird absorb attack :confused:

esperterra posted:

Altissia made me hate gondolas forever.

you should've smoked more weed before you got on the gondolas. i was high every time i got on and oh man it's soooooo relaxing :420:

That said I never used them except to get to Maagho. Altissia is such a well-made city. I loved learning and navigating it.

Fur20 fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Mar 31, 2018

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

The White Dragon posted:

How are you supposed to use the ring? I played with no HUD so I didn't get any control prompts, and holding down the attack button just did some weird absorb attack :confused:

you should've smoked more weed before you got on the gondolas

I smoked allllllll the weeeeeeeeedddddddddddddddd

But the gondolas still sucked. I think you can skip past the actual boating animation once you get in but it's still a pain in the rear end getting on and off the drat things if you're clearing the Altissia hunts.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

The White Dragon posted:

Holding down the normal attack button casts Death, which is a slow HP drain that eventually instakills the target and heals Noctis.

Dodging with the ring equipped casts Holy, which is a normal dodge that restores some MP and damages whatever attacked you. If you press the dodge button right before the attack connects, you do like a crazy super-Holy that does a ton of AoE damage and restores all your MP. (It also looks awesome as hell.)

Holding down the warp strike button casts Alternis, which is just X-Zone/Warp from older games. Takes all your MP and sucks all the enemies away into the void but you don't get any drops I think.

Harrow fucked around with this message at 21:01 on Mar 31, 2018

aegof
Mar 2, 2011

Harrow posted:

Holding down the warp strike button casts Alternis, which is just X-Zone/Warp from older games. Takes all your MP and sucks all the enemies away into the void but you don't get any drops I think.

It's pretty strong, and definitely tells us how challenging the developers want the game to be.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VSk05He_7P4&t=480s

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Chapter 13 was a bit too long but was really cool. You can tell it was patched a lot after release though lol, Ardyn keeps phoning you to make fun of how lovely the ring is when you just teleported through an axeman and blew him up in one swift move

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

The White Dragon posted:

you should've smoked more weed before you got on the gondolas. i was high every time i got on and oh man it's soooooo relaxing :420:

That said I never used them except to get to Maagho. Altissia is such a well-made city. I loved learning and navigating it.

Circle is "Death" which is a ranged attack that inflicts continuous damage while you are holding attack. Some enemies instantly explode into literal pink mist, others take very small damage over time.

Square is "Holy" which causes dodges to inflict damage and drains your MP constantly. It's kind of lovely tbh unless you are surrounded by enemies that are constantly spamming attacks at you.

Triangle is Alterna which takes a few seconds to charge up, requires a full MP bar (which gets completely consumed) and AoE instakills everything with a varying probability depending on the enemy.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

morallyobjected posted:

I'm not sure what you're doing that means items are outclassing your damage other than maybe you're just under leveled because level differential plays a large role in damage calculations, especially if you're the one that's low. also make sure you're hitting weaknesses, I guess.

in terms of leveling, I feel like it takes maybe 5-7 battles at most, usually, if you put a new mirage in your stack, to get them leveled up to a reasonable place for wherever you are (more if you're just going off of auxiliary exp from being in the party). I dunno, what are you using in your stacks?

Im hitting weaknesses but like on a boss using my spell is 1kish damage and the item is 2k+.

I was rocking shiva and then a rotating cast of creatures based on the dungeon/boss. I doubt its underleveling as with one or two exceptions I can cruise through every random encounter spamming attack and never need to use any AP skill. Its not really a huge deal as its not as though im having any actual difficulty with the game, spells just feel aenmeic for their cost.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
https://twitter.com/FFXVJP/status/980104937303625728

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UPaI3YV4GeA

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Explain

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

It is April Fools day in Japan and this is a FFXIV joke.