Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blast of Confetti
Apr 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

lil baby anime posted:

That vid is something else. Cute lil ball of wind just puttering along. Then in like .5 secs you go from trees lightly swaying to a utility pole getting snapped jesus

the most kawaii tornado

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti

Cable Guy
Jul 18, 2005

I don't expect any trouble, but we'll be handing these out later...

Slippery Tilde

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

silentsnack posted:

How many bicyclists have a car behind them that could go fast enough to trigger the speed limit radar, on flat city streets? (without paying attention to surroundings, etc.) I'd guess that sentence refers to motorcyclists, who have engines and gears and such.

Fixed. :colbert:

There are a few "your current speed" radar displays around my town, and they do pick me up on a bike going 15mph or so. But if a car starts coming up behind me, as far as a block or so away, the display will instantly change to showing the car's (higher) speed instead. Fortunately, these radars aren't hooked up to devices designed to suddenly yank the road out from under me and throw up a barrier right in front of my wheel.

revolther
May 27, 2008
Wouldn't a cyclist go around the speed bump anyways? It's not really there to control their speed. When riding my bike I don't needlessly change my riding posture but I don't usually choose to pointlessly rack myself in the crotch either so...

HarmB
Jun 19, 2006

revolther posted:

Wouldn't a cyclist go around the speed bump anyways? It's not really there to control their speed. When riding my bike I don't needlessly change my riding posture but I don't usually choose to pointlessly rack myself in the crotch either so...

I definitely go to either side to dodge conventional speed bumps now. This would be a welcome addition, still easy enough to dodge, and if it turbofucks cars, I'm real into it.

Jet Jaguar
Feb 12, 2006

Don't touch my bags if you please, Mr Customs Man.

When he goes out of frame he just starts whistling and walking the other way. "Nothing to see here, move along."

Krabboss
Nov 11, 2016

MY HUSBAND'S PARSE IS BETTER THAN YOURS
I've watched that video of the tornado barreling down the old man recording it through his window 5 times in a row now. It's haunting.

Whistling Asshole
Nov 18, 2005

the new hit single from Billy OSHA -- Get Outta My Dreams, Get into My (Driverless) Car

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

quote:

A Tesla vehicle was on Autopilot when it crashed in California last month, killing the driver, the company has confirmed.

A 38-year-old man died when his vehicle crashed into a concrete lane divider
Tesla says driver took no action to stop vehicle from crashing despite warnings
Autopilot feature makes accidents less likely to occur, Tesla says

It becomes the latest accident involving a self-driving vehicle after a pedestrian was hit and killed by a car being tested by Uber in Arizona last month.

Tesla said the driver, who was killed in the accident in Mountain View in California's Silicon Valley, did not have his hands on the steering wheel for six seconds before the crash, despite several warnings from the vehicle.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-04-01/tesla-says-vehicle-in-fatal-crash-was-on-autopilot/9608172 hahahahahahhhh

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

quote:

The company said the crash was made worse by a missing or damaged safety shield on the end of the freeway barrier that is supposed to reduce the impact into the concrete lane divider.

Lmao nice deflection

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

HEY NONG MAN posted:

Lmao nice deflection

Actually the lack of deflection killed the driver.

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013

quote:

Tesla says driver took no action to stop vehicle from crashing despite warnings

"what's that loving beeping noise?"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2hMn7ZweF6s
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5McECUtM8fw

http://www.tribune242.com/news/2015/feb/27/pilot-told-alert-shut/

quote:

THE pilots of the Learjet that crashed and killed all nine on board in Grand Bahama last year disabled the plane’s “terrain awareness warning system” when it warned them they were flying too low and deliberately failed to adhere to standard procedures, according to the official aircraft accident report of the incident.

One of the pilots said “ah, shut up” before disabling the terrain awareness warning system (TAWS) when it was advising them that they were “too low” and needed to “pull up,” according to an analysis of the cockpit voice recorder (CVC).

The plane was carrying Dr Myles Munroe, his wife, Ruth, and other members of Bahamas Faith Ministries International to a global leadership conference in Grand Bahama when it crashed into a junkyard crane in bad weather on November 9. According to the report one of the pilots exclaimed “climb, climb, climb” just before impact with the crane.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Powered Descent posted:

"and two-wheeled vehicles can easily avoid actibump."

...by riding way the hell over in the gutter where a bicyclist generally shouldn't be. I hope there are all kinds of warning signs and flashing lights to warn bikers that there's a "safety" device spanning most of the road up ahead, which could easily kill them if they go over it.
I dunno about the implementations in other places but here they're only used on roads with segregated bike lanes.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
Just do a bunny hop. We all played California Games it ain’t hard.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

quote:

Tesla said the driver, who was killed in the accident in Mountain View in California's Silicon Valley, did not have his hands on the steering wheel for six seconds before the crash, despite several warnings from the vehicle.

Uhhhhhhh

http://www.thedrive.com/news/19802/tesla-driver-allegedly-reported-autopilot-issues-to-dealer-several-times-prior-to-fatal-crash

quote:

Huang's family reportedly told local news that Huang made several complaints to his local Tesla dealer regarding the vehicle veering off the road with Autopilot engaged. What seemingly makes matters worse is that the dealer was allegedly told that it wasn't just any stretch of road Huang experienced the problem with, but the same stretch of road where the accident occurred.

"This car's autopilot has tried to kill me multiple times on this upcoming stretch of road, seems like the perfect time to start up a high stakes game of solitaire"

Former DILF
Jul 13, 2017

what if we find out they pushed a bugfix that made it so much worse he didnt have an opportunity to correct lmao

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat
The bugfix disabled the steering wheel hand sensor.

Budgie
Mar 9, 2007
Yeah, like the bird.

Karate Bastard posted:

The bugfix disabled the steering wheel hand sensor.

Was it this thread I saw this video in?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BjvlUI6mw0A

XTimmy
Nov 28, 2007
I am Jacks self hatred

Budgie posted:

Was it this thread I saw this video in?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BjvlUI6mw0A

Kept expecting this to end with him going up the back of a semi at 120km/h. I've driven across the Nullabor and you'd be surprised how quickly a vehicle going slower than you can appear quite suddenly even on long straight stretches like that.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

XTimmy posted:

Kept expecting this to end with him going up the back of a semi at 120km/h. I've driven across the Nullabor and you'd be surprised how quickly a vehicle going slower than you can appear quite suddenly even on long straight stretches like that.

Was waiting for the orange to slip out, him to fumble for it, disengage autopilot, roll under the brake pedal, and cause an accident.

Sadly, we do not live in that world. :(

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON

lil baby anime posted:

That vid is something else. Cute lil ball of wind just puttering along. Then in like .5 secs you go from trees lightly swaying to a utility pole getting snapped jesus

I dunno if it's growing up with a fascination with tornadoes that gave me a healthy respect for 'em, but my first response was not 'oh that's cute' it was 'YOU DUMB FUCKER GET AWAY' because that tornado is HUGE and headin' straight towards him. They look cool and fun up until they're tearing your poo poo apart, which happens very quickly (one moment stillness, next moment your house is gone) and they are well-known to sound like freight trains bearing down on you.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RpnNz2dJ0R0

Tornadoes will eat you and everything you love, and will make it seem like they've got a personal vendetta. Your house will be destroyed but your neighbors' spared, or vice versa.

Don't gently caress with tornadoes

EDIT: Something to help cheer us up a bit

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JKc4Inezm3k

StrangersInTheNight fucked around with this message at 14:00 on Apr 1, 2018

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

lil baby anime posted:

There's an old video by a guy travelling along a road with trees on either side. Suddenly the wind turns into a tiny tornado and just loving shreds the trees in front of him and then dissipates just as quickly.

Big tornadoes are an expected thing, but one just a metre across turning a tree into sawdust right in front of you is something else.

I'll try to find the video, but by googlefu hasn't helped me so far.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

quote:

The vehicle also caught fire, though Tesla said no-one was in the vehicle when that happened.
Was no one in there because the driver was ejected, or because he was definitely dead, or because the front of the vehicle was no longer technically a part of it?

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

SelenicMartian posted:

Was no one in there because the driver was ejected, or because he was definitely dead, or because the front of the vehicle was no longer technically a part of it?

If you look at the photo, the front of the vehicle is no longer technically a part of the material plane

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
well at least the crash solved the "cutting the tesla's power" problem

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QCIo8e12sBM

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

suicide by self-driving car

EssOEss
Oct 23, 2006
128-bit approved

beep-beep car is go posted:

On Alarm chat, my favorite one is the Sellafield Alarm sounds test on YouTube:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dtNgOeqBKQU

The "drop everything and run" alarm is harrowing.

Wow, I bet someone got a nice fat bonus for imlementing not one, not two but ELEVENTY different alarms for one facility. I bet there are also exams to see if people can tell the difference between the Area Gamma Alarm and the Criticality Alarm because god drat it Jerry Gerald it MATTERS whether you need to put on you respirator but not waste time locating one or whether you need to put on your respirator if available!

Blindeye
Sep 22, 2006

I can't believe I kissed you!

EssOEss posted:

Wow, I bet someone got a nice fat bonus for imlementing not one, not two but ELEVENTY different alarms for one facility. I bet there are also exams to see if people can tell the difference between the Area Gamma Alarm and the Criticality Alarm because god drat it Jerry Gerald it MATTERS whether you need to put on you respirator but not waste time locating one or whether you need to put on your respirator if available!

This is actually very important for nuclear facilities and chemical facilities with a wide variety of hazards. Depending on the hazard, you may need to shelter in place, evacuate, or perform life-saving functions. Do the wrong thing and oops, you or your coworkers died. Sadly this is also endemic of a focus on putting more of the burden of worker safety on the workers themselves.

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

Raskolnikov38 posted:

well at least the crash solved the "cutting the tesla's power" problem

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QCIo8e12sBM

I can't follow the problem with cutting the interlock cable. Yes, interlock. That cable is only providing 12V to the internal contactors (one for plus, one for minus) in the HV battery. You wouldn't want to cut the actual HV cables. The power cables for popping the hood is just in case the 12V battery is dead and to recharge/change it. If there are no 12V, the HV battery isn't connected either. If it still is, the contactors have failed closed and cutting the interlock wouldn't do anything. The Fiat 500e has you manually remove the battery fuse under the rear bench and the 451 Smart ED makes you pull out a piece of plastic in the driver footwell. There probably is a way to temporarily cut the interlock for maintenance in the Model 3, too.

-e-
The first responders guide is quite clear about cutting the rear loop, too.

Lurking Haro fucked around with this message at 16:13 on Apr 1, 2018

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

xtal posted:

If you look at the photo, the front of the vehicle is no longer technically a part of the material plane

I go past / use this intersection all the time (in fact I went past it about 3 hours after the actual accident and saw the car sitting there as a burned out husk still with emergency vehicles near it), and the interesting thing is that that gore point used to have a shitton of the yellow water barrels in front of the guardrail (there's about a 20 foot long section of guardrail with a yellow warning sign on it that's then in front of the actual concrete wall, and there were about 20 barrels in rows of two sitting in front of that). But about two years ago some moron not in a Tesla or otherwise self driving car hit it going about 90 and similarly completely totaled his vehicle, though as I recall he lived somehow. But then Caltrans never replaced the water barrels. Laziness? Some decision that maybe they wouldn't help anyway? Who knows. But Tesla is correct that there should have been crash mitigation things in place. Kind of irrelevant though when the car decided to drive itself (repeatedly, apparently) into the barrier.

The retarded thing about all this is that that left exit lane begins a mile or so before the actual exit, it's incredibly clearly marked (short white dots on the right side, lots of signage), and since it was created in 2008 or so unless you JUST moved here or are a tourist you know how the 101/85 interchange works and would not be in the far left lane at that point. (And actually for three miles before it there are two left lanes, or carpool lanes anyway, and that leftmost one then exits up the ramp). So basically another rich gently caress was an idiot and died and none of us should have any problem with this.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Tesla’s decided they’re going to do more self driving with a fraction of the sensors so it’s really unsurprising the systems are unforgiving.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Gorilla Salad posted:

There's an old video by a guy travelling along a road with trees on either side. Suddenly the wind turns into a tiny tornado and just loving shreds the trees in front of him and then dissipates just as quickly.

Big tornadoes are an expected thing, but one just a metre across turning a tree into sawdust right in front of you is something else.

I'll try to find the video, but by googlefu hasn't helped me so far.

If you find it, let me know, because that sounds very cool.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

evil_bunnY posted:

Tesla’s decided they’re going to do more self driving with a fraction of the sensors so it’s really unsurprising the systems are unforgiving.

What sensors are they removing? HW2 has a lot more than HW1 did. Are they just disabling some?

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Sagebrush posted:

If you find it, let me know, because that sounds very cool.

Found it!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0NdQPpiFDlA&t=77s

Groda
Mar 17, 2005

Hair Elf

:catstare:
I'm guessing that wasn't in Sweden.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Subjunctive posted:

What sensors are they removing? HW2 has a lot more than HW1 did. Are they just disabling some?
About a year ago someone found out they more mostly only using a single forward camera, which explained the poor performance in backlit situations.

I’ve ridden in benz’es with about the same level of “autonomy” and they’re just about flawless. It’s really unsurprising Tesla has ~4x the crashes other high end sedans do.

revolther
May 27, 2008
I'm never surprised that things go horribly wrong more often for consumers when it's coming from the guy who invented Paypal.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Is that a gustnado?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
I don't think this is approved procedure.

https://i.imgur.com/RrjJAiX.mp4