Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

A deep infection in his ear afaik.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Rad Valtar posted:

My wife's friend just had a cat who passed away so they are thinking about taking him in and if that doesn't work a neighbor who loves animals said they would take him. Both are great people so I'm happy that he is going to get a good home. I appreciate your guys help.

Yay! Now you must post pictures of the kitty.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

So despite his pearly white fangs, my cat does have a little bit of tartar buildup on his teeth. This was noted in a recent vet visit, and they said that usually they can just administer anesthesia and do a dental cleaning. But, Jet's got hypertrophic cardiomyopathy, and that means he has a chance of cardiac failure i.e. death if he's put under. That means that it's probably best for me to learn to brush his teeth :shepface: Does anyone brush their cat's teeth, and what's the best product for it?

Also, his breath is pretty stinky (much more than it used to be) and he has this odd habit of shaking his head when he eats, throwing food everywhere. Does that mean he already has some sort of disease, and should I be worried?

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

I need IMMEDIATE help.

I just found four newborn kittens on my backyard patio, possibly born within the last 24 hours. They were found completely unprotected, out in the open, and attached to something that is either poo poo or some sort of afterbirth... probably the latter... whatever it is, it’s attracting flies.

I didn’t want to touch them because I was scared the mother might reject them if I did (I don’t know poo poo about kittens), but at my father’s urging I ended up placing them on a folded towel inside of an open plastic bucket laying on its side. They are clinging very tightly to each other, to the point where I couldn’t pick them up one at a time, and the poo poo/afterbirth/whatever is attached so strongly that I couldn’t remove it (I thought it was poo poo at first and VERY VERY GENTLY tried to remove it, but I couldn’t get it off, and anyway it doesn’t really smell or look like poo poo, hence my thinking now that it’s afterbirth). I only handled them very minimally using sterile plastic gloves.

I need to know what to do. We’re assuming the mother will return, but I want to make sure they’re okay and I’m terrified of inadvertently screwing them somehow. I’m praying to God that I haven’t screwed them already. :ohdear:

Please help. This is making me very emotional.

Joburg
May 19, 2013

Fun Shoe

Dr. Gitmo Moneyson posted:

I need IMMEDIATE help.

I just found four newborn kittens on my backyard patio, possibly born within the last 24 hours. They were found completely unprotected, out in the open, and attached to something that is either poo poo or some sort of afterbirth... probably the latter... whatever it is, it’s attracting flies.

I didn’t want to touch them because I was scared the mother might reject them if I did (I don’t know poo poo about kittens), but at my father’s urging I ended up placing them on a folded towel inside of an open plastic bucket laying on its side. They are clinging very tightly to each other, to the point where I couldn’t pick them up one at a time, and the poo poo/afterbirth/whatever is attached so strongly that I couldn’t remove it (I thought it was poo poo at first and VERY VERY GENTLY tried to remove it, but I couldn’t get it off, and anyway it doesn’t really smell or look like poo poo, hence my thinking now that it’s afterbirth). I only handled them very minimally using sterile plastic gloves.

I need to know what to do. We’re assuming the mother will return, but I want to make sure they’re okay and I’m terrified of inadvertently screwing them somehow. I’m praying to God that I haven’t screwed them already. :ohdear:

Call the nearest vets office for advice. In the meantime those kittens need to be kept warm, however you can do that. If the mom is not around it is probably best to proceed as if she has abandoned them.

DirkDonkeyroot
Feb 25, 2007
Should probably go get some kitten milk replacement from a pet store and get to feeding them.

Crooked Booty
Apr 2, 2009
arrr

I need IMMEDIATE help.

Yeah this is a tangle of placentas and umbilical cords. This happens sometimes and it can be very tough to untangle. Sometimes the kittens can end up with pretty serious injuries if they’ve got a foot or other extremity stuck in the tangle. If there is a 24 hour vet in your area, I would take the kittens there as soon as you can. Mom will most likely not be able to fix this issue and the kittens will likely die without intervention.

If you can take them to a vet and bring them back quickly, Mom may reclaim them. If not, there may be a rescue or shelter in your area that can bottle raise them or show you how.

Pixelante
Mar 16, 2006

You people will by God act like a team, or at least like people who know each other, or I'll incinerate the bunch of you here and now.
The emergency (24 hour) vet in my region gives you the option to surrender the animal if you bring in a stray you rescued. Means you're not on the hook for vet bills, but you don't get to take them home again. You could also try cat rescues on FB and see if any of them have a volunteer who could come help you. The rescue I work with in British Columbia would swoop in for something like that.

I'm not 100% sure it's the right thing to do, but if I were in your situation I'd put them in a soft warm container and drive them straight to the vet.

Pixelante fucked around with this message at 05:22 on Apr 1, 2018

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

We don’t really have any money to pay vet bills. I might call a 24-hour vet near me and see if they’ll let me surrender them for free.

I can’t imagine why the mother wouldn’t come back. She’s pretty much made her home in my backyard, and this isn’t the first litter she’s given birth to here. However I’m worried about the fact she hasn’t come back for them yet. We just had a guy clean off our patio today, so maybe that has something to do with it?

Crooked Booty
Apr 2, 2009
arrr

We don’t really have any money to pay vet bills. I might call a 24-hour vet near me and see if they’ll let me surrender them for free.

I can’t imagine why the mother wouldn’t come back. She’s pretty much made her home in my backyard, and this isn’t the first litter she’s given birth to here. However I’m worried about the fact she hasn’t come back for them yet. We just had a guy clean off our patio today, so maybe that has something to do with it?
It doesn’t matter if she comes back unless they get untangled. They are stuck together because she failed to chew/eat the cords and placentas, so they got tangled. She was probably trying to move them somewhere and was having trouble because they’re one big kitten ball, so they ended up on your porch. Even if she comes back, they cannot effectively nurse and survive unless they are separated.

If the vet you call will not let you surrender them, you should try to untangle them. Get a small pair of scissors and some thread. They’re anchored to each other by the umbilical cords. You just need to snip the cords about an inch from the kitten’s belly. The cords may or may not bleed when you cut them. If they bleed, tie a little loop of thread around the cord in a knot to stop the bleeding. It’s fine to cut the cords shorter than an inch, but the shorter you cut them, the harder it is to tie them off. If the cords are tight around any of their legs or tails, they really must go to a vet. If you’re not going to do this, you need to make some phone calls and find someone who will. These kittens are going to die on your porch if you do nothing, regardless of whether or not Mom comes back.

Lyndon LaRouche
Sep 5, 2006

by Azathoth

Synthbuttrange posted:

A deep infection in his ear afaik.

This. He seems to be doing quite well. Being his normal self and eating well since we brought him back home. I just hope that he heals quickly and we can get his cone off soon, because he's been wearing it for just over 2 months now.

Lyndon LaRouche
Sep 5, 2006

by Azathoth

Once you've got the kittens to safety, you should really look into trapping the mama cat so she can get spayed, because she's likely to give you another litter in the future.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

I got to go out with Fred again.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Pixelante posted:

The emergency (24 hour) vet in my region gives you the option to surrender the animal if you bring in a stray you rescued. Means you're not on the hook for vet bills, but you don't get to take them home again. You could also try cat rescues on FB and see if any of them have a volunteer who could come help you. The rescue I work with in British Columbia would swoop in for something like that.

I'm not 100% sure it's the right thing to do, but if I were in your situation I'd put them in a soft warm container and drive them straight to the vet.

I just called the only 24-hour vet in the area and they don’t do surrenders. It would cost $90 for them to handle the umbilical stuff, which I don’t have. I checked and there’s no rescues around here that are open at this hour, and pretty much everything is closed until at least Monday morning because today is Easter Sunday and I live in backwards redneck Trump country. The only thing that’s open today is Petsmart, and they don’t open until 9 AM.

Crooked Booty posted:

If the vet you call will not let you surrender them, you should try to untangle them. Get a small pair of scissors and some thread. They’re anchored to each other by the umbilical cords. You just need to snip the cords about an inch from the kitten’s belly. The cords may or may not bleed when you cut them. If they bleed, tie a little loop of thread around the cord in a knot to stop the bleeding. It’s fine to cut the cords shorter than an inch, but the shorter you cut them, the harder it is to tie them off. If the cords are tight around any of their legs or tails, they really must go to a vet. If you’re not going to do this, you need to make some phone calls and find someone who will. These kittens are going to die on your porch if you do nothing, regardless of whether or not Mom comes back.

I don’t have anywhere near the confidence to do this, and I can’t find anybody who can.

I feel like absolute poo poo about this. :smith:

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

I just talked to my mom and she insisted we take the kittens to the vet.

The umbilical stuff has been taken care of and the kittens are at the vet getting a feeding and being warmed.

The vet told us that two of the kittens would probably need to be put down, due to circulation issues caused by the tangled placenta. One of those was pretty bad off when we got there and ended up passing away while we were there; the other one has some problems with one of its hind legs. They said those two might still have ended up dying if we had brought them in right after we found them late yesterday afternoon, but I just feel like absolute dogshit and really goddamn loving need somebody to tell me it isn’t my fault that two kittens died because I didn’t take them to the vet immediately.

When we got home, we found the mother alive and well in our garage nursing one or two other kittens, so we’re going to bring the surviving ones home in a little bit to be with their mom.

I. M. Gei fucked around with this message at 14:33 on Apr 1, 2018

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

I just picked the kittens up from the vet. They ended up NOT putting down the one with the bum leg, so it turns out three kittens survived instead of two (the grey tiger-striped one in the photo was the one that didn’t make it). I still feel really terrible about that, but I feel slightly better knowing one more survived.

I put the kittens in the place where we found the other two, where the mother was nursing them. All five kittens are now together, and the mom is nearby watching them.

The vet also gave us some syringes and bottle formula, just in case we need to feed them ourselves. I’m really hoping that doesn’t happen but it’s here.

EDIT: I’m really scared the mom might abandon the three kittens we brought home. I’m trying to leave everyone alone so she doesn’t move them, but I just checked on them while the mom was nursing and I saw two of the kittens but I couldn’t tell whether the other three were with her or not. Help.

I. M. Gei fucked around with this message at 16:51 on Apr 1, 2018

D1E
Nov 25, 2001

I just talked to my mom and she insisted we take the kittens to the vet.

The umbilical stuff has been taken care of and the kittens are at the vet getting a feeding and being warmed.

The vet told us that two of the kittens would probably need to be put down, due to circulation issues caused by the tangled placenta. One of those was pretty bad off when we got there and ended up passing away while we were there; the other one has some problems with one of its hind legs. They said those two might still have ended up dying if we had brought them in right after we found them late yesterday afternoon, but I just feel like absolute dogshit and really goddamn loving need somebody to tell me it isn’t my fault that two kittens died because I didn’t take them to the vet immediately.

When we got home, we found the mother alive and well in our garage nursing one or two other kittens, so we’re going to bring the surviving ones home in a little bit to be with their mom.

Please don't second-guess your actions, especially in light of what the vet said - he/she is a medical expert and the kitties were born medically compromised. This may be why the mother left them unattended to begin with. I know it's human nature to beat yourself up, but you took them to the vet and tried to help them. Doing that despite the financial burden you couldn't afford is a credit to you/your character.

Thank you.

Pixelante
Mar 16, 2006

You people will by God act like a team, or at least like people who know each other, or I'll incinerate the bunch of you here and now.

EDIT: I’m really scared the mom might abandon the three kittens we brought home. I’m trying to leave everyone alone so she doesn’t move them, but I just checked on them while the mom was nursing and I saw two of the kittens but I couldn’t tell whether the other three were with her or not. Help.

:glomp:

You did good. Sometimes nature does awful things and it's not your fault for being unable to fix them. Seriously, you did good.

Maybe you can bribe your way closer to mom with some tempting tinned tuna or other meat, to get a closer look. I help coordinate kitty foster homes, and I can tell you that most rescue groups probably have foster homes waiting for kittens and cats--kitten season just began, so some of them have been waiting awhile. Even high-needs baby kitties could probably get placed with a foster who can hand-raise them as well as humans can do.

Pixelante fucked around with this message at 21:32 on Apr 1, 2018

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

I agree with the two posters above me. I know how easy it is to blame yourself, but you need to remember that you didn't know what the situation actually was, and you came and asked for advice rather than just grabbing up some kittens who might have been okay, then made a sacrifice you could ill afford. From where I am, you didn't fail any kittens, you saved three, and gave the fourth the best chance possible. And now you're worried about them and trying to make sure they're ok and that momma takes them back even while you prepare in case she doesn't. You're a good, pure person, you stepped up, and you bear no blame that I could point to.

I also agree that leaving out some food and maybe water is probably the best thing right now, to give mom a little support that may nudge her instincts towards taking them back in, as well as building a little trust.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

I checked on the kittens a little bit ago while the mother was away. All five are accounted for and seem to be fine. Mom is nursing them and doesn’t appear to be rejecting any of them.

listrada
Jan 2, 2017

I checked on the kittens a little bit ago while the mother was away. All five are accounted for and seem to be fine. Mom is nursing them and doesn’t appear to be rejecting any of them.

Dr. Gitmo, thank you for taking care of those kittens. You did a good thing.

Mods, feel free to take this down if it's against the rules, but I have some extra cash this month and would like to help get that momma cat spayed once she's done with this batch of kittens.

Gitmo, can you get a quote for what spays go for in your area? Shoot me an email at listrada1370@gmail.com and I'll PayPal you.

Marchegiana
Jan 31, 2006

. . . Bitch.
I just wanted to chime in and reassure you that it is not your fault at all that one of the kittens died. I've been a volunteer foster for my local SPCA for years now, and we all know that kittens dying is a thing that can happen at any time, to anyone, and it has nothing to do with the care provided. I've had one of my kittens die- it was a singleton being cared for by mom with me supporting the two of them, but then suddenly he stopped gaining weight and within a few days he was gone.

Because of your help, there are more kittens alive than there would have been if you weren't there to find them. That is a victory. It's possible that the kittens were left behind by mom because she thought they were all going to die and so she abandoned them. The fact that you saved what could be saved and got Mom to take them back is a huge success. What I recommend now is to try to find a shelter who can take in mom and kittens both- that way they can all be spayed when they're ready and hopefully find good homes.

Rad Valtar
May 31, 2011

Someday coach Im going to throw for 6 TDs in the Super Bowl.

Sit your ass down Steve.
Some people were asking for pictures of kitty and he’s a fast mover so it was hard to get any with him facing me. I’ve been going out every day to spend time with him and he loves the attention.

Lyndon LaRouche
Sep 5, 2006

by Azathoth
Also coming in to say that losing a kitten is rarely any person's fault. I think it's just a fact that mama cats are likely gonna lose one or more of their babies given their reproductive strategy (frequent, large litters). Some of them are just born very, very weak and it's not all that uncommon for a mama cat to abandon the weaker ones so that the stronger ones have a better chance at survival.

Sludge Tank
Jul 31, 2007

by Azathoth
Hello thread

so I havent had any pets since I was a kid. I grew up with cats, dogs, farm animals chickens etc etc i love animals. have an affinity with them

anyway so my neighbourhood has a ton of stray cats I suspect from the fat bitch over the road who seems to have hundreds of cats around her house she doesn't actually look after and lets run wild.

So over the last couple of weeks I've started luring one, which then turned into two cats into the house by feeding them every night, at first leaving a bowl of food on the doorstep.
they were very shy and would hiss and growl at me, and didnt want me anywhere near them, but gradually got more comfortable with me around them.

over the couple of weeks I moved the food bowl inside the house and now they come inside straight away when I open the door if i call them and they purr and are not afraid of us at all and are happy to chill in the house for a while until they decide to leave again. they are both now very happy to be petted and strat purring and following me around the house
theyre in the house morning and night for a couple of hours at a time, we leave the doors open so they dont feel trapped.

one of them is heavily pregnant, she is the most familiar with us. She seems to 'rule our roost'. She is very very preggers. She's set up a little nest on a pile of carpet my renovating housemate left outside. she can see when the door is opened and she usually comes in from there.

the other one i think is a male still with his balls. he is really friendly but very needy and the food bowl needs to be near me or he wont relax while eating. hes very purry and loves to be roughed up i think hes a bit of a ragdoll or something, hes very meowy and loves attention. hes only been coming in the house the past few days but hes quickly become very familiar with the house and loves a pet and affection. hes currently purring like mad and rubbing on ym leg

what do i do? ive been cautious not to be too grabby with them. the pregnant one has only just started letting me pick her up. how do i go about worming them or whatever? they obiously need to be desexed and im very possibly going to be seeing kittens very soon

the male fluggy purry one is quite playful and gets on his back and rolls around like a playful kitty and i think soon he may start being chill enough to sit on my lap :3 but theyre still quite skittish and obviously just flat out strays because they start growling and hissing at random poo poo and very rarely at me sometimes like theyre fighting the instinct to be frightened of me but 95% they are chill

theres also a very little black kitten that has come into the hosue a couple of times but i think the two bigger cats have scared it off because i havent seen it a few days.

photos to come when my phone is fixed

Sludge Tank fucked around with this message at 12:48 on Apr 2, 2018

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

I'd get them to a vet asap to be checked out and the male at least desexed. If they're friendly enough you can lure them into a carrier with treats & playing then slam the door closed, otherwise you can trap them if you can get hold of a trap from the local council or shelter or wherever. In my admittedly somewhat limited experience with cats who don't trust humans, once you've built up that level of trust it won't be ruined by betraying them like that just the once.

Sludge Tank
Jul 31, 2007

by Azathoth
on closer inspectioni i think the male is actually just a very in-heat female

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

Sludge Tank posted:

on closer inspectioni i think the male is actually just a very in-heat female

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T3wcxHiorJ4

VictorianQueerLit
Aug 25, 2017
I hope this is the thread for this but I'm having a problem with a cat. It isn't mine.

My roommate started feeding all of the stray cats in our neighborhood so that they hang out around my apartment and one of them turned up pregnant. Some neighbors were all ready to go to take care of the cat and it's kittens when it finally started giving birth. They were going to take it to the vet and foster the kittens out and everything but my Roommate caught them trying to take them and fought with them so that she could keep the mother and five kittens in our apartment. I tried to stop her as well because I know how lovely she is with animals but it didn't work.

So my problem is that my roommate doesn't actually do anything with them other than feed them and the mother is a feral cat that was never litter trained. It's also apparently either sick or not used to the food she is giving it so it's dropping nuclear shits and rancid piss all over our apartment. I've already tried training the cat myself by putting leaves and poo poo in a litter box and placing it near where it seems to like to go in the house. When that didn't work i'd catch it eating then watch it for hours to try and catch it making GBS threads so I could sit it in the litter box but apparently it refuses to go if someone is watching it and it will just hold it. I tried guessing when it might have to go and tried to show it how to dig around and paw in the litter but it just looked at me like I was an rear end in a top hat and poo poo on my kitchen counter when I turned my back.

We are like 2-3 months from moving out and my previously perfect apartment with huge security deposit now reeks of poo poo and cat piss and it's only getting worse. While typing this post it blew up the house again and there is already poo poo everywhere because my roommate didn't want to clean it up this morning before she left for work.

Is there any way I can litter train this cat before it's kittens are mobile and they just start making GBS threads all over my apartment like their mother because they have nothing to learn from? They are about a week old right now.

VictorianQueerLit fucked around with this message at 19:23 on Apr 2, 2018

Rat Patrol
Feb 15, 2008

kill kill kill kill
kill me now
You have to confine this cat. Put her in a small room with just a bed, food, water, and a litter box (and like some toys). She won't want to go too close to her food, so hopefully she'll be forced to use the box. After a week or so of consistent box use, she may finally associate the box with going to the bathroom. But if your house honestly smells, she's probably just going to go wherever she smells she's gone before, so while she's confined, you'll want to clean as thoroughly and deeply everywhere you can.

But to be honest, at this point, I'd be reporting this poo poo to the landlord. It's completely unacceptable for her to take in animals against your wishes and then not care for them. The smell of cat piss gets into everything, you shouldn't have to live this way. It's not sanitary.

VictorianQueerLit
Aug 25, 2017
My issue with that is we have a relatively expensive pet deposit due to the area/rent we pay. Neither of us had pets when we moved in so we didn't pay it.

She brought in a stray dog she saw along the side of the road and refused to tell management and has been hiding him ever since. Luckily he is the most well behaved dog I've ever seen which makes me think she just stole him out of someone's yard or something. I've had dogs my entire life and this dog is by far the most well mannered so fortunately he hasn't wrecked up the place or poo poo and pissed anywhere.

But if I report her to the landlord I'm at risk of being evicted for breaking my lease if they want to be dicks about it and best case we are liable for $500+ in pet deposits for multiple animals and my roommate will refuse to pay it. She is a horrible roommate and threatens to move out and live with one of her friends sticking me with the rent that I can't pay if I try and be assertive about anything so she is going to keep this cat in the house no matter what anyone says. I can't even get her to clean her moldy dishes without getting a lecture about how she doesn't need to stay here.

My only option is to somehow litter train the cat myself but I've been trying for a week straight and it's still just going wild. The kittens are adorable but I'm on the verge of the Shitpocalypse.

VictorianQueerLit fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Apr 2, 2018

teh winnar!
Apr 16, 2003

VictorianQueerLit posted:

My issue with that is we have a relatively expensive pet deposit due to the area/rent we pay. Neither of us had pets when we moved in so we didn't pay it.

She brought in a stray dog she saw along the side of the road and refused to tell management and has been hiding him ever since. Luckily he is the most well behaved dog I've ever seen which makes me think she just stole him out of someone's yard or something. I've had dogs my entire life and this dog is by far the most well mannered so fortunately he hasn't wrecked up the place or poo poo and pissed anywhere.

But if I report her to the landlord I'm at risk of being evicted for breaking my lease if they want to be dicks about it and best case we are liable for $500+ in pet deposits for multiple animals and my roommate will refuse to pay it. She is a horrible roommate and threatens to move out and live with one of her friends sticking me with the rent that I can't pay if I try and be assertive about anything so she is going to keep this cat in the house no matter what anyone says. I can't even get her to clean her moldy dishes without getting a lecture about how she doesn't need to stay here.

You mention that you've got 2-3 months left on the lease, so maybe it's time to cut your losses. Start looking for a new place/roommate, inform the landlord that your roommate is bringing in animals and state that you don't want to be the one who gets penalized when things inevitably go to poo poo (Or rather, "go to piss?"). Be aware that you may lose your security deposit, and plan your next home-hunting appropriately.

Rat Patrol
Feb 15, 2008

kill kill kill kill
kill me now

Get on top of this. Tell the landlord what she's doing, and stress that you told her not to and that she has done it against your will. If you've ever texted her "you have to clean up after your animals," use that as proof. If she's ever texted you "I'll ditch and leave you on the hook for rent," use that as proof.

But here's the facts: there's absolutely no mistaking cat piss smell, and once it's in deep, it's THERE. Your landlord will notice, next time they come over to fix a thing or do an inspection or whatever. They will know 1. you snuck in animals and 2. you let them piss all over their property, and you'll be in an even worse spot because you'll be implicated. It won't be the story of your roommate being a poo poo tenant. It will be the story of both of you being poo poo tenants and keeping information from your landlord (and wrecking his property with cat piss). You need to run ahead of this and make sure the landlord knows this isn't your doing. Maybe it will cost you, maybe it won't. But if you let this continue this way, you absolutely will face consequences. Just accept your deposit is probably already gone and try to get the landlord on your side. Your problem is bigger than cats. And if momma cat doesn't use the box, she won't teach the kittens to either. They aren't cute little things for long.

Edit: Next time, just pay the loving pet deposit. $500 isn't that much in the grand scheme of pet ownership, and if it's honestly a deposit and not a fee, you might get it back. Then you don't find yourself in a situation where if you don't agree to live in a cat piss soaked moldy dish apartment from hell, you get evicted for hiding an animal against lease.

Rat Patrol fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Apr 2, 2018

floofyscorp
Feb 12, 2007

I've already tried training the cat myself by putting leaves and poo poo in a litter box

I agree with everyone saying 'go to the landlord right now and accept that your deposit is gone' but in the meantime, have you tried actual cat litter, soil, or sand? Cats prefer to poop on bare earth or similar surfaces, not leaves.

Rat Patrol
Feb 15, 2008

kill kill kill kill
kill me now
When ozma first had her bladder issues she started going in certain spots in the house, all carpeted area. It was only like 2-3 days before her treatment cleared it up for her and we STILL had to re-confine her to the bathroom for a whole week to re-train her to use the box, and, despite cleaning up every time we found the mess, every bit of the carpet had to be torn up to get the smell out of the rooms.

I can't imagine how miserable it must be with a mother cat and an unspecified number of kittens growing up and peeing wherever, and not even having the option of going nuclear on the flooring. VictorianQueerLit, you shouldn't have to live that way.

Gorgar
Dec 2, 2012

You can try Dr. Elsey's Cat Attract. I had some luck with that for a while when a cat of mine refused to use the box. (She never did completely stop going in the wrong places, and from what the shelter told me, she lived like those kittens would if your roomie was the only person in the house.) They make a litter and an additive you can just sprinkle on top of any litter. Smells earthy, seems to help.

Also I would Nature's Miracle the gently caress out of everything. It's probably going to take gallons, but the results are worth it. Saturate the poo poo out of anything that smells bad.

Your roommate really sucks, and I'm glad you're not taking it out on the cats.

Beyond Satire
Oct 18, 2014
My cat is sneezing and I'm not sure if it's time for a trip to the vet.

Ollie is a 2yo medium-haired, tabby that I adopted from a shelter about 2months ago. The shelter had him vet checked, neutered, vaccinated and micro-chipped pre-adoption and he is indoor only.

I got home about two hours ago and he has been sneezing since I walked in the door. He sneezes multiple times in a row and about every 10ish mins and they are full-on sneezes. Nothing inside the house has changed - no new air fresheners, cleaning products, plants/flowers or anything else that might lead to sneezing in a person (could those things also make a kitty sneeze?).

There are no other symptoms - he is eating, drinking, using the litter box and playing/snoozing in the way he usually does. I don't yet have a vet so can't call for advice.

Is this wait-and-see territory, book him a non-emergency appointment or take him to vet hospital now territory? My instinct is to wait-and-see given he seems otherwise well, is up-to-date on his shots and was vet checked a short time ago but I'm a nervous new owner so thought I'd seek input.

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

Is he still acting otherwise normal? Eating/drinking/litterboxing/being the normal level of menace around the house? I’d probably just wait and see in that case.

Beyond Satire
Oct 18, 2014

Organza Quiz posted:

Is he still acting otherwise normal? Eating/drinking/litterboxing/being the normal level of menace around the house? I’d probably just wait and see in that case.

Yeah he is his usual bitey rear end in a top hat self. Playing/eating/drinking/litterboxing normally. Is displeased that I won't give him some of my pizza. I guess I'll just keep an eye on him for the moment.

Thanks, appreciate the response.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Its possible that the cat just sniffed something and it flew into his nose. If he cant dislodge it and keeps sneezing tomorrow it'll be vet time to try flush it out.