Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

eddiewalker posted:

The Air2 has a better screen and it’s quite a bit thinner than the 2017/18. I wouldn’t trade.

Pro is the upgrade path from the Air2. 2018 is a budget model.
Well it'll still kick the poo poo out of it performance wise, so as far as future proofing goes that’s something to keep in mind. Two generations ahead chip wise, one generation back body and screen wise. And I guess Pencil support if one was interested in that.

But hell with that, where’s my dream iPad Pro mini to fill in that giant price gap :argh: (or poo poo, at least something on par with the budget iPad)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

japtor posted:

But hell with that, where’s my dream iPad Pro mini to fill in that giant price gap :argh: (or poo poo, at least something on par with the budget iPad)

It's called the iPhone 8+

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

ufarn posted:

What's a good way to always use my iPad in Landscape mode without having my charging cable at the worst possible angle which will make it fray in no time?

My kid does that with her iPhone. Uses it while charging so the cable is bent at an odd angel and tears. I actually used that as an excuse for getting her a cheaper 7 instead of an 8. “You know how you like to use and charge your phone and you can’t do that with wireless charging.” I still can’t believe it worked because wireless charging is awesome.

Look for heavy duty cabling. Both Anker and Amazon sell braided cables with stronger jackets. It won’t stop the problem, but they’ll last longer than the plain skinny cables.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
I hold both my phone and my iPad sideways with the charging cable threaded between my fingers. Feels natural and I’ve never ruined a cable. What’s the issue?

ufarn
May 30, 2009

eddiewalker posted:

I hold both my phone and my iPad sideways with the charging cable threaded between my fingers. Feels natural and I’ve never ruined a cable. What’s the issue?
Not a problem if the cable is on the right side of the iPad, but the Apple stand requires the port to be on the right, and my cable is on the left of my iPad which means it'll always be bent at an angle. And my battery can't last through an entire day, even though it's literally 95% Tweetbot.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

iPad mini 4 is still a great device if you can get it for $400ish (mine was a refurb from apple), but it's always supposed to have only been for folks who want that small form factor. Battery is stellar, I play FFXV on it at max settings and have a very smooth experience for like 3-4 hours before I need to charge it. It's still a good buy.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

E: whoops double post

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
The only thing I hated about my iPad mini 4 is that I sold it.

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

jokes posted:

iPad mini 4 is still a great device if you can get it for $400ish (mine was a refurb from apple), but it's always supposed to have only been for folks who want that small form factor. Battery is stellar, I play FFXV on it at max settings and have a very smooth experience for like 3-4 hours before I need to charge it. It's still a good buy.

$400 is the sticker price now, and I think it's a bit tough to justify for nearly three-year-old hardware when Apple's asking $80 less for significantly newer internals in the budget iPad. You really need to specifically want that form factor over literally everything else for the Mini to make sense, and even then I don't think it's a slam dunk anymore.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

jokes posted:

play FFXV on it

:raise:

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

FINALFANTASY XV POCKET EDITION by SQUARE ENIX INC

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/finalfantasy-xv-pocket-edition/id1152350815?mt=8

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

This is real bad, fyi. It’s just an on-rails of the story with none of the open world / driving.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

sleepwalkers posted:

$400 is the sticker price now, and I think it's a bit tough to justify for nearly three-year-old hardware when Apple's asking $80 less for significantly newer internals in the budget iPad. You really need to specifically want that form factor over literally everything else for the Mini to make sense, and even then I don't think it's a slam dunk anymore.
Yeah with how old it is and considering you can get find the (faster) last gen cheap iPad for like $250 or whatever now it’s hard to justify the mini unless you can find it really cheap. It has the form factor and iirc better screen, but that’s about it at this point.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
I hope they release a more iPhone X style iPad this fall.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

This is real bad, fyi. It’s just an on-rails of the story with none of the open world / driving.

Well it is final fantasy.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

Go to Settings - iTunes and App Store and see if “updates” is on in the Automatic Downloads section. If it is, the iPad should automatically update when it’s plugged in, screen off, and connected to WiFi.

E: oops, I read gud. Maybe it’s the three condition part.

It does this on my iPhone too. I have to remember to open the App Store once a week and manually refresh and update all. I have all the things you said enabled.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Best Buy and Apple are offering a minimum $125 trade in on some older iPad models.
Models are iPad Mini 2 (with Retina display), Mini 3, Mini 4, Air, Air 2, iPad Pro, or iPad (5th generation).

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/conditional-offers/ipad-trade-in-offer/pcmcat1522254341964.c?id=pcmcat1522254341964
https://reuserecycle.abbti.brightstarcorp.com/iPhoneHome.aspx

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

japtor posted:

Yeah with how old it is and considering you can get find the (faster) last gen cheap iPad for like $250 or whatever now it’s hard to justify the mini unless you can find it really cheap. It has the form factor and iirc better screen, but that’s about it at this point.

It also has 4x the storage.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Does anyone else really compete in that small tablet market besides Apple and Amazon? Like did Samsung or any other 'name-brand' company consistently try to compete in that segment?

The Mini seems like a tablet without a purpose. It predates the + series iPhones and was sold primarily as a cheaper iPad rather than a more convenient one. Now it's not the cheapest and anyone who wants an iOS device that's bigger than a phone but smaller than a regular iPad is buying phablets.

FCKGW posted:

Best Buy and Apple are offering a minimum $125 trade in on some older iPad models.
Models are iPad Mini 2 (with Retina display), Mini 3, Mini 4, Air, Air 2, iPad Pro, or iPad (5th generation).

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/conditional-offers/ipad-trade-in-offer/pcmcat1522254341964.c?id=pcmcat1522254341964

And on that note I will be trading in my old Mini 2 with it's dodgy battery.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Krispy Wafer posted:

Does anyone else really compete in that small tablet market besides Apple and Amazon? Like did Samsung or any other 'name-brand' company consistently try to compete in that segment?

The Mini seems like a tablet without a purpose. It predates the + series iPhones and was sold primarily as a cheaper iPad rather than a more convenient one. Now it's not the cheapest and anyone who wants an iOS device that's bigger than a phone but smaller than a regular iPad is buying phablets.

It’s the perfect size for kids but I think Apple has decided they don’t want a race to the bottom and let the Fire have that market instead.

Samsung still makes the Tab 7 but I haven’t seen them in the wild for ages.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

FCKGW posted:

Dang, I might just get a the new iPad instead of an old new iPad. $200 all-in is totally fine.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
My mini 4 will be my last mini. I’m just waiting on an iPhone X style iPad to replace it.

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

Krispy Wafer posted:

Android tablets once existed! This was before Chromebooks squeezed them as Google's preferred cheap computer, and large phones squeezed them for media consumption. Back when Android tablets existed, they were primarily 7-8 inches. They were cheaper, and phone apps were more tolerable at 7-8 inches than 10 inches.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

e.pilot posted:

My mini 4 will be my last mini. I’m just waiting on an iPhone X style iPad to replace it.

Unfortunately I believe it is the last mini.

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot
I might go with the 128GB WiFi new iPad to replace my iPad 2.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Krispy Wafer posted:

You can walk into any Best Buy and choose from half a dozen indistinguishable Samsung tablets at smaller sizes.

Like I'm not joking, there are Tab A, Tab S2, Tab Note 4, or whatever all next to each other with no really clear way to tell what the differences are

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
So I’ve wanted an iPad Pro only for the pencil but the intro cost wasn’t sound for something to just doodle on.

Seems like I need to be trading my Air 2 in for one of these 2018 ones. Any huge drawbacks between this and a pro if I just want to draw amateurishly? Is the sensing the same?

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

Endless Mike posted:

You can walk into any Best Buy and choose from half a dozen indistinguishable Samsung tablets at smaller sizes.

Like I'm not joking, there are Tab A, Tab S2, Tab Note 4, or whatever all next to each other with no really clear way to tell what the differences are

That’s about the point where Apple is with the iPad and MacBook line these days.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Rolo posted:

So I’ve wanted an iPad Pro only for the pencil but the intro cost wasn’t sound for something to just doodle on.

Seems like I need to be trading my Air 2 in for one of these 2018 ones. Any huge drawbacks between this and a pro if I just want to draw amateurishly? Is the sensing the same?

It all depends on how you’ll use it. Pro’s have some advantages, but Pencil support going to the 2018 iPad eliminates a big chunk of those. If that’s what you wanted, then the basic iPad can do 90% of the stuff for 50% of the price.

It does make me wonder how the next generation of Pro’s separate themselves from regular iPads. FaceID seems the obvious answer, but would that even work on a device multiple people in a household use? Maybe Apple is going to finally release separate login profiles and each one is tied to a FaceID.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
So please tell me if this is wrong, or missing stuff. From what I can find, what the pro has over the new regular iPad:

* Laminated screen, with True Tone and variable refresh (and obviously size)
* A10X chip vs A10
* More RAM
* More storage in each tier
* more / louder speakers
* smart connector
* second gen touchid vs first gen

(Never bothered to look at camera stuff)

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

So please tell me if this is wrong, or missing stuff. From what I can find, what the pro has over the new regular iPad:

* Laminated screen, with True Tone and variable refresh (and obviously size)
* A10X chip vs A10
* More RAM
* More storage in each tier
* more / louder speakers
* smart connector
* second gen touchid vs first gen

(Never bothered to look at camera stuff)
Yes. The Pros have better cameras, too (but with a bump lol).

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer
The Pro's are better machines with more flexibility and future-proofing. But considering people are still rocking iPad 2's, you may not need the extra year+ you'll get with a Pro.

There's an argument to be made that a device that's 85% screen should have the absolute best quality display you can afford. But the 2018 iPad has a very nice screen and if you're never using an iPad Pro for comparison, you'll never know what you're missing. An iPad + Pencil is lots of fun regardless what trim iPad you're using.

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

preface all my posts with this
So this announcement probably means there won’t be a Pencil 2 anytime soon? I have a Pro and have been considering the Pencil but don’t want to buy it just for them to release a hardware refresh. But also I figured this is where they would’ve done that.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

I’m not sure where do you even go as far as upgrading/refreshing the Pencil. It’s pretty minimal as is. Wireless charging maybe so you can get rid of the dumb top cover/lightning charging?

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
Eraser.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

Krispy Wafer posted:

The Pro's are better machines with more flexibility and future-proofing. But considering people are still rocking iPad 2's, you may not need the extra year+ you'll get with a Pro.

There's an argument to be made that a device that's 85% screen should have the absolute best quality display you can afford. But the 2018 iPad has a very nice screen and if you're never using an iPad Pro for comparison, you'll never know what you're missing. An iPad + Pencil is lots of fun regardless what trim iPad you're using.

Krispy Wafer posted:

My mom still uses my old rear end iPad 2 and it’s the perfect Candy Crush and casual recipe looking up machine

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

I’m not sure where do you even go as far as upgrading/refreshing the Pencil. It’s pretty minimal as is. Wireless charging maybe so you can get rid of the dumb top cover/lightning charging?

The only things I can think of, would be somehow able to use the Smart Connector on the Pro to charge (with optional cradle on the desk with a Smart Connector charging point). That would probably include some kind of magnet to allow the Pencil to attach to the Pro. But that would probably change the physical profile of the Pencil and ruin the balance and feel.

I hate that stupid cap and how you have to charge it, but my love of how well it works outweighs that by a lot.

Oh yeah, that would be nice too.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
Honestly, mixing in FaceID with multiple profiles seems like the kind of synergy that would take all the hassle out of a device with multiple accounts.

No separate passwords, no separate finger logins. Just identify the user logging in and load their iPad profile.

I’m not saying it’d be a game changer but I’d be down for sharing an iPad with my spouse if it’d support that ease of user profiles.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Anyone switch from an Air 2 to a 2018 and notice the apparent increase in size and weight?

Anyone regret upgrading for any other reason?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Best Buy website already has open box models lol