Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Strudel Man posted:

Argh. There is a very annoying thing with armageddon bombardment - even when you have enough to cause -100% population growth, planets still sprout ghostly growing pops, and it almost seems like it prefers to bomb those down instead of real, fully-grown pops. Actually getting it to a tomb world takes forever because I'm constantly killing off a no-progress growing pop that spawns again and again instead of the one full-grown pop left on the planet.
So your fleet is forever murdering all of their children over and over? :gonk:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I now can only imagine gray pop's are literally just a load of children left in an empty field or unstaffed power plant as the government waits for them to grow up enough to work.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

Poil posted:

Apparently.

Also, ships swarming in the wrong place when fighting stations, rendering them unable to actually attack because they're out of range. :argh:

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

Poil posted:

Somewhere, Steven Baxter feels a tingle of joy.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Strudel Man posted:

Apparently.

Also, ships swarming in the wrong place when fighting stations, rendering them unable to actually attack because they're out of range. :argh:

I had a fight against an FE go terribly south when my fleets decided to string themselves out between the warp point (where all the FE fleets were sitting, merrily blasting away) and the starbase, which to be fair was popping ships with ion cannon shots every so often but maybe the dozens of technological wunderships right up in your grill should be the first target, guys.

Shadowlyger
Nov 5, 2009

ElvUI super fan at your service!

Ask me any and all questions about UI customization via PM

Strudel Man posted:

Argh. There is a very annoying thing with armageddon bombardment - even when you have enough to cause -100% population growth, planets still sprout ghostly growing pops, and it almost seems like it prefers to bomb those down instead of real, fully-grown pops. Actually getting it to a tomb world takes forever because I'm constantly killing off a no-progress growing pop that spawns again and again instead of the one full-grown pop left on the planet.

It's because they have techs that give pop growth bonuses (I know of two, which each give 10%), so 100% doesn't actually fully cancel out their growth rate. I'd advise Paradox to make it 200% to make absolutely certain.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Dang it, sol iii managed to progress out of the world war in between me finding it and my poo poo getting there to invade

Cockteased by the RNG

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

pmchem posted:

I'm in the middle of my first actual full game. This is vanilla 2.0.2 with default settings. I'm not sure how badly I've screwed anything up. My civ is doing REALLY well compared to other people, but, some horde just spawned mid-game with megafleets.

I zipped my savegame and put it on googledrive: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1R5x6KdO4dMNvv_sFdUYHY9yvEIMBAeZz

If anyone could have a look and comment, I'd be really curious as to people's thoughts on my civ. Also,. is there a better way to share games and get feedback?

So I've been playing this game out the past couple hours. the khan subjugated one civ next to him, and destroyed the other bordering him. They were hopeless against him. I was next on the list; my closest big starbase choke point was renamed to "wolf 359".

I let some border systems die and built up at the choke with everything I had. he rolled in with a 31k stack against my 11k starbase and 19k worth of stacks. basically an even fight. but I won! a lot of his ships got away via FTL. I'm currently salvaging the remains of some huge galleon ship.

There was a 'khan defeated' popup after the battle, but this MASSIVE horde empire is still on my borders with insane fleets. We'll see how things go.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003

Shadowlyger posted:

It's because they have techs that give pop growth bonuses (I know of two, which each give 10%), so 100% doesn't actually fully cancel out their growth rate. I'd advise Paradox to make it 200% to make absolutely certain.
Actually, I don't think that's it. I'm looking right now at a pop with +45% (genome mapping, cloning, harmony traditions) before the bombardment malus, but it still says a growth progress of 0.00 per month. I think it just pops up, even if there's no actual growth.

Shadowlyger
Nov 5, 2009

Strudel Man posted:

Actually, I don't think that's it. I'm looking right now at a pop with +45% (genome mapping, cloning, harmony traditions) before the bombardment malus, but it still says a growth progress of 0.00 per month. I think it just pops up, even if there's no actual growth.

Hmm. Maybe a 0.001 or so slipped in somehow.

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

"I want to see what she's in love with."

pmchem posted:

So I've been playing this game out the past couple hours. the khan subjugated one civ next to him, and destroyed the other bordering him. They were hopeless against him. I was next on the list; my closest big starbase choke point was renamed to "wolf 359".

I let some border systems die and built up at the choke with everything I had. he rolled in with a 31k stack against my 11k starbase and 19k worth of stacks. basically an even fight. but I won! a lot of his ships got away via FTL. I'm currently salvaging the remains of some huge galleon ship.

There was a 'khan defeated' popup after the battle, but this MASSIVE horde empire is still on my borders with insane fleets. We'll see how things go.

Sounds like you had a good ship+admiral setup against what he had (quite a bit of a starbase's power is based on their enormous HP values, so you were probably down like 5-6k). I'm not sure how exactly the horde empire works after the Khan dies but I think they're not nearly as aggressive and stop spawning free fleets. Sniping the Khan in that fight was probably a bit lucky but a great turnout!

Also a great example of how defensive starbases can be very useful! (callback to old discussion)

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

pmchem posted:

Here's my screenshot, but man, it seems insufficient for evaluating an empire.

I'm like 40 years in the past in my current run, so a comparison isn't really easy to do, but this looks good. Extrapolating from the differences to my machine empire (no food production, less territory, 40 years more development time), it seems we're about the same. Maybe you're even in a slightly better position? Since I'm not exactly a masterful player myself, I hereby judge your empire to be average.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

ZypherIM posted:

New systems for like pre-cursor and stuff got a nice boost. My current game I got the old normal unity+influence+etc reward, but the system also has +12 energy, +16 minerals, +10 to each science station spots (the planet for the quest line finisher has the triple +10 science).

Holy crap that sounds really nice. Guess I'll bother to do more than just the Cybrex one in the future.

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

ZypherIM posted:

Sounds like you had a good ship+admiral setup against what he had (quite a bit of a starbase's power is based on their enormous HP values, so you were probably down like 5-6k). I'm not sure how exactly the horde empire works after the Khan dies but I think they're not nearly as aggressive and stop spawning free fleets. Sniping the Khan in that fight was probably a bit lucky but a great turnout!

Also a great example of how defensive starbases can be very useful! (callback to old discussion)

yeah, it was an exciting fight. The horde is back for more, though. They're sending 4 more 18k stacks my way. Engaging one right now in Wolf 359, but 2 of the others are taking the long way around and may be a bit of a problem.

Libluini posted:

I'm like 40 years in the past in my current run, so a comparison isn't really easy to do, but this looks good. Extrapolating from the differences to my machine empire (no food production, less territory, 40 years more development time), it seems we're about the same. Maybe you're even in a slightly better position? Since I'm not exactly a masterful player myself, I hereby judge your empire to be average.

haha, thanks. A++ review.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003

Shadowlyger posted:

Hmm. Maybe a 0.001 or so slipped in somehow.
Nah, I think the bombardment effect is just multiplicative rather than additive.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Found a nasty bug. An AI empire is totally hosed because there's some "hiver" station in one of their systems. It just sits there in the corner, but it's totally invincible. It has 1000 fleet power so the AI keeps throwing big 2000+ fleets at it which get obliterated due to the whole invincible thing. I tried to damage 99999 it it, which works, but the station instantly pops back.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Did someone say 2.0.2?!

Featuring a staggering :supaburn:TWENTY:supaburn: new species and updated for 2.0.2.

Awful Apocalypse

As always, send me a PM, ping me on the Discord, or even just post it here (make sure you quote me so I can see it easier) if you want your garbage fire of a species added to the mod pack.

Aztec Space Gods
Corporation for Public Braincasting
Hesukar Swarm
Honorable 1v1
Industrial Workers of the Galaxy
Interstellar Void Company
Kingdom of the Chrysalis
Lumocom Interstellar Telecommunications
Memeworm Collective
Ogrim Clans
Pirak University of Blood
Qualicon Construction Hub
Society for the Advancement of Plants
SpiritBot Seekers
Spyran Empire of Beauty
Sybernian Regierung Government
Steel Kingdom of Barbaria
The End of Cruelty
The Watchful
United Good Doggy Union

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

wtf do you do when a federation ally gets in a war with a hostile fallen empire and the FE just starts owning your space?

Leave the federation and sue for peace? I don't even know how to end this war.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
Huh. When the planetary shield generator says "immune to orbital bombardment," it's not kidding. You cannot tombify a world with one; it will simply stop bombarding if the only pop left is on a shield generator tile.

Shadowlyger
Nov 5, 2009

Strudel Man posted:

Huh. When the planetary shield generator says "immune to orbital bombardment," it's not kidding. You cannot tombify a world with one; it will simply stop bombarding if the only pop left is on a shield generator tile.

How long did it take to whittle the planet down to that point?

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

so are there some good ship setups? i am very lazy and i feel like my ship designs are bad.

like rail guns + plasma used to be the best but idk now

help a brotha out with some sick nasty setups =)

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Are there problems with the crisis just... stopping? The prethoryns appear to have completely stopped everything. Like all their ships are just parked after they grabbed 4 systems. They have an enormous number of constructors, infestors and fleets so I don't know what the problem is.

edit: one of their fleets is flickering between "Moving to _____ system" and "No orders"

hobbesmaster fucked around with this message at 06:58 on Apr 1, 2018

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.

Ramadu posted:

so are there some good ship setups? i am very lazy and i feel like my ship designs are bad.

like rail guns + plasma used to be the best but idk now

help a brotha out with some sick nasty setups =)

That combo still works.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

hobbesmaster posted:

Are there problems with the crisis just... stopping? The prethoryns appear to have completely stopped everything. Like all their ships are just parked after they grabbed 4 systems. They have an enormous number of constructors, infestors and fleets so I don't know what the problem is.

edit: one of their fleets is flickering between "Moving to _____ system" and "No orders"

Yeah.. I've had a few games where, say, the Unbidden show up, and then just sit there doing gently caress all. Some crisis.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003

Shadowlyger posted:

How long did it take to whittle the planet down to that point?
Two wars. Bloody fallen empires...

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands

pmchem posted:

wtf do you do when a federation ally gets in a war with a hostile fallen empire and the FE just starts owning your space?

Leave the federation and sue for peace? I don't even know how to end this war.

Cry.

As I recall only whoever declared the war gets to sign the peace. Yes, this can gently caress over other federation members pretty badly. Yes, this sucks. Yes, Federations need (and are hopefully going to get) a lot of work.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

Is it just me, or does the gaia world from the Stellar Devourer never spawn with the 25 energy and 10 minerals the popup says it does? I don't think I've seen it happen since Leviathans first happened.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Anyone got some good videos of people playing the game from start to midgame-ish? I've played a few games but I always feel like I'm slow to get off the ground even compared to non-advanced-start AI unless I turn the difficulty all the way down, and that just makes things pathetically easy after that initial hump.

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

McSpanky posted:

Anyone got some good videos of people playing the game from start to midgame-ish? I've played a few games but I always feel like I'm slow to get off the ground even compared to non-advanced-start AI unless I turn the difficulty all the way down, and that just makes things pathetically easy after that initial hump.

I too would watch a good curated collection of "how to roll your first 100 years in Stellaris 2.0.2"

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

I'll put a strong point into "don't accidentally leave it on probably the minimum difficulty" because this is boring

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Shugojin posted:

I'll put a strong point into "don't accidentally leave it on probably the minimum difficulty" because this is boring

Yeah, I'm starting to see this. This second run with my tall science build has once again left me as the leading power in the galaxy by a large margin, with all my neighbors asking for protectorate after I wiped out some Determined Exterminators. Should I try scaling?

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

Yeah, I'm starting to see this. This second run with my tall science build has once again left me as the leading power in the galaxy by a large margin, with all my neighbors asking for protectorate after I wiped out some Determined Exterminators. Should I try scaling?

nah, scaling isn't very hard either

go for commodore maybe? the AIs will outmatch you at first on anything but cadet and scaling, but that isn't a huge issue because the AI is not very aggressive early on. a defensive pact with somebody else is usually enough to keep you secure into the midgame, by which time you should be equivalent or better.

also consider glavius's AI mod, which makes the AI play quite a bit better such that it doesn't need as many bonuses to keep up with you

Shadowlyger
Nov 5, 2009

Arrath posted:

Yeah.. I've had a few games where, say, the Unbidden show up, and then just sit there doing gently caress all. Some crisis.

In my current game, the Unbidden showed up 60 years early, never actually killed the two planets directly below the goddamn portal, their starbases wouldn't die unless I used the console to push them to negative health, and when I went to assault the portal, I found a 193k defense fleet... and about ten 53k fleets surrounding that.

That was my "open palm slam the tilde key" moment.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

um, how modded is it

unbidden definitely worked last time i got them

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

"I want to see what she's in love with."

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

Crank the difficulty up, make sure there are a healthy number of advanced AI starts, and play a devouring swarm/fanatic purifier/determined exterminator. That initial boost the enemy has makes it harder to just jump on enemies (though still perfectly possible), and your enemies will band together in all sorts of a hurry, and that giant malus means they're willing to press wars against you.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

Speaking of difficulty, is it possible to change the difficulty mid-game? Via save file editing or something perhaps?

Shadowlyger
Nov 5, 2009

TheDeadlyShoe posted:

um, how modded is it

unbidden definitely worked last time i got them

Very. :v:

Guildencrantz
May 1, 2012

IM ONE OF THE GOOD ONES
So, crises:

I became the dominant galactic power, got bored with my game etc. before the crisis happened. Again. I'm thinking of fiddling with the settings so it comes much earlier, before the game is de facto decided. If I set crisis strength to 0.25x, how early can I realistically put it to have a fighting chance?

On a related note, is the Khan affected by the crisis strength setting?

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Shadowlyger posted:

In my current game, the Unbidden showed up 60 years early, never actually killed the two planets directly below the goddamn portal, their starbases wouldn't die unless I used the console to push them to negative health, and when I went to assault the portal, I found a 193k defense fleet... and about ten 53k fleets surrounding that.

That was my "open palm slam the tilde key" moment.

Wow, thats annoying

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

feller
Jul 5, 2006

Guildencrantz posted:

So, crises:

I became the dominant galactic power, got bored with my game etc. before the crisis happened. Again. I'm thinking of fiddling with the settings so it comes much earlier, before the game is de facto decided. If I set crisis strength to 0.25x, how early can I realistically put it to have a fighting chance?

On a related note, is the Khan affected by the crisis strength setting?

The Khan is the midgame crisis.

As for the rest, I've been slowly moving them up myself. Right now I'm at .5x strength at 75 years earlier than default and it seems pretty good.