Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ryoga
Sep 10, 2003
Eternally Lost

warhammer651 posted:

what name change?

Imagine if 4kids media was dubbing old Chinese books. It's honestly one of the most amazing things ever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

ZogrimAteMyHamster posted:

"HOOAH JON! FACE ME IF YOU DARE!"

God I love everything craptastic about DW3's acting and pronunciation.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nOmbzUE6UAY

Personal favorites:
Lu Bu: "Zhang Liao, you would betray me?"
Zhang Liao: "Such...is the fate of one wholivesinthesetimes..."

NPC: "My Lord! The enemy is building a dike to the side of Fan Castle"
Sima Yi: "A dike? OH NO!"

Zhang He: "I believe this defection is too good to be to true."
Sima Yi: "Zhou Fang? Either way it's okay. If it's true, good. If not we will crush the enemy's plan."

Largepotato
Jan 18, 2007

Spurd.
*Gan Ning laughs*
*camera zooms in on Gan Ning's crotch*

The Doomhammer
Feb 14, 2010

'A Dike? OH NO!' might be my favourite line reading in anything ever.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Ryoga posted:

Imagine if 4kids media was dubbing old Chinese books. It's honestly one of the most amazing things ever.

Is there a list of these anywhere? Now I really gotta see this.

Dual Monarchy
Feb 20, 2013

Max Wilco posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nOmbzUE6UAY

Personal favorites:
Lu Bu: "Zhang Liao, you would betray me?"
Zhang Liao: "Such...is the fate of one wholivesinthesetimes..."

NPC: "My Lord! The enemy is building a dike to the side of Fan Castle"
Sima Yi: "A dike? OH NO!"

Zhang He: "I believe this defection is too good to be to true."
Sima Yi: "Zhou Fang? Either way it's okay. If it's true, good. If not we will crush the enemy's plan."

I think I saw a comment saying that Sima Yi and Zhang He's voice actors from DW3 should've just been there forever, and frankly I'm inclined to agree. 'A dike? OH NO!' is immortal.

abagofcheetos
Oct 29, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Ryoga posted:

What 4kids did to yugioh is a work of art fitting of the Smithsonian, so this must be amazing

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY
It was really weird when Cao Cao, Liu Bei, and Sun Jian all started singing the star spangled banner

I mean Murphy-Shackley, Jeffrey-Lewis, and Kinsey-Estrada

Raserys fucked around with this message at 16:17 on Apr 1, 2018

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

Ryoga posted:

You're doing this translation a grave disservice; it's so much betterworse than anything 4kids could have managed.

Pictured: the mighty warrior, Bullard-Lundmark

Keeshhound fucked around with this message at 16:37 on Apr 1, 2018

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice

Keeshhound posted:

You're doing this translation a grave disservice; it's so much betterworse than anything 4kids could have managed.

Pictured: the mighty warrior, Bullard-Lundmark

I read a few lines of this and it's probably the hardest thing I've tried to read since the text description of swap.avi

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
Incidentally, is there a..name I guess, for the old event jingle? The one right at the start here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XF-MDuXXiSI

I love that noise so much.

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~
The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Games > Dynasty/Samurai/Anime Warriors: Do no pursue Bullard-Lundmark

Death Zebra
May 14, 2014

I like how they gave every character in DW3 a line in certain cutscenes like the one prior to the Wu side of Fan Castle.

Lu Meng: "The enemy is Guan Yu"
Guan Yu: "I am my own opponent? This will be difficult!"

And then there's Lu Bu's response: "I will prove I am the strongest. Watch me crush these maggots!"

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost
https://twitter.com/KoeiTecmoUS/status/980791967209713664

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice

Death Zebra posted:

I like how they gave every character in DW3 a line in certain cutscenes like the one prior to the Wu side of Fan Castle.

And then there's Lu Bu's response: "I will prove I am the strongest. Watch me crush these maggots!"

DW7XL has DW3 Fan Castle as a stage and if you do Wu side then everyone (except Lu Meng) has a line about fighting Guan Yu including characters that were not around in DW3.

Have they still not addressed the performance issues on PC? I haven't seen that mentioned in any of the patch notes. I think the game is pretty fun but I'm tired of it turning into a slide show every time there's more than three people on the screen.

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

Death Zebra posted:

This is what I miss more than anything in the DW series these days. Play as some guy or gal that could be historically some 40+ years either way from the date of the battle, but they still get lines in all the relevant cutscenes. Lu Bu present for Jin's assault on Chengdu? Xingcai at Hulao Gate? If it was anything like DW3 then they'd have something (dumb) to say in any scene triggered by the player, and it was always a joy to see how this poo poo would (not) match the pre-set lines.

Of course my favourite is Lu Bu at Chang Ban, Wei side. Cao Cao arrives and Lu Bu just blathers out "I HAVE BEEN WAITING! I HAVE BEEN WAITING FOR THAT SCUM!"

Mate, that's your commander. Rein it in a bit before you open your drat yap.

ZogrimAteMyHamster fucked around with this message at 03:16 on Apr 3, 2018

Chocobo
Oct 15, 2012

Here comes a new challenger!
Oven Wrangler
I like DW9, definitely like the step back from ridiculous weaponry, but it's way too easy on Chaos and it feels like there's no real character development despite the upgrade, reforge, and equipment systems. Grappling hooks let you jump straight to any objective, which is lame. Hope they work on the formula, I like a lot of it.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

ZogrimAteMyHamster posted:

This is what I miss more than anything in the DW series these days. Play as some guy or gal that could be historically some 40+ years either way from the date of the battle, but they still get lines in all the relevant cutscenes. Lu Bu present for Jin's assault on Chengdu? Xingcai at Hulao Gate? If it was anything like DW3 then they'd have something (dumb) to say in any scene triggered by the player, and it was always a joy to see how this poo poo would (not) match the pre-set lines.

Of course my favourite is Lu Bu at Chang Ban, Wei side. Cao Cao arrives and Lu Bu just blathers out "I HAVE BEEN WAITING! I HAVE BEEN WAITING FOR THAT SCUM!"

Mate, that's your commander. Rein it in a bit before you open your drat yap.

The closest I've seen is in DW7 in one of the conquest missions. You're fighting with Wu against Jon and Sun Ce asks "Who are these guys?"

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Jon's not the most well known guy, so

Supersonic Shine
Oct 13, 2012
On a whim, I played Warriors Orochi 3 after several years of not touching my PS3. Switching characters mid-combo is still a ton of fun, and so is summoning all of your team to gather up enemy troops for one huge attack. I just found out Warriors Orochi 4 is going to come out, so that was great news for me.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Been playing more AOT 2, and well... uhh... that was not how I expected Titan research to work. :stonklol:

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Darth Walrus posted:

Been playing more AOT 2, and well... uhh... that was not how I expected Titan research to work. :stonklol:

I find it extremely amusing how the plot still makes a huge deal out of the two canonically captured titans being killed mysteriously when my OC is bringing in like, 5 of the drat things per mission.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Infinity Gaia posted:

I find it extremely amusing how the plot still makes a huge deal out of the two canonically captured titans being killed mysteriously when my OC is bringing in like, 5 of the drat things per mission.

Not nearly as funny as doing research on titan behaviour by having one rampage through a town literally eating the rich (with wonderfully ridiculous animations) while Titan-Eren chases it like one of the ghosts in Pac-Man until Levi eventually swoops in and kills it.

MatchaZed
Feb 14, 2010

We Can Do It!

Help, I have a problem. I'm already 100 hours into FE Warriors on Switch, plan to get Hyrule Warriors again, and now I heard that One Piece Pirate Warriors 3 DX is coming to Switch in English as well. There's just not enough time to beat all this Musou!

Poops Mcgoots
Jul 12, 2010

WilliamAnderson posted:

Help, I have a problem. I'm already 100 hours into FE Warriors on Switch, plan to get Hyrule Warriors again, and now I heard that One Piece Pirate Warriors 3 DX is coming to Switch in English as well. There's just not enough time to beat all this Musou!

Get three switches and jury rig them to play simultaneously off one controller.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

https://twitter.com/koeitecmoeurope/status/984007275063992321

Huh. I enjoyed Ascension, though it's the first NA game I played. Wonder what's new in Taishi.

e: Trailer's up - June 8, Steam and PS4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xMHez3e793U

kirbysuperstar fucked around with this message at 14:27 on Apr 11, 2018

Remarker
Feb 7, 2011

kirbysuperstar posted:

Huh. I enjoyed Ascension, though it's the first NA game I played. Wonder what's new in Taishi.

I think this will be the first Nobunaga's Ambition game that I play. I've been curious for a long time but missed Ascension and heard mixed stuff about it besides. Gonna try to jump on this one right when it releases so I can get some guidance in this thread.

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost
https://twitter.com/KoeiTecmoUS/status/984261632980279296

Also added Steam trading cards if you were really missing out on that

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

Mechafunkzilla posted:

I want to believe but my gut is telling me that DW9 is going to be a failed experiment a la DW6.

smart fuckin guy right here

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

kirbysuperstar posted:

Incidentally, is there a..name I guess, for the old event jingle? The one right at the start here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XF-MDuXXiSI

I love that noise so much.

I'm curious about that, too. I know I've heard it while playing Orochi 3.

Remarker
Feb 7, 2011

I've gone back to Dynasty Warriors 4 recently and in some weird ways it's given me more appreciation for Dynasty Warriors 9 - or for what they're *trying* in DW9 at least.

For those who never played 4 or don't remember it well, it's the first game in the series that splits up Musou Mode by faction. The story is split into chapters, and each chapter has three or so levels - generally two "side" battles and then the main battle of the chapter.

What's interesting is that you get to choose how many of these levels you actually play. You can skip right to the main battle of a chapter if you want, but you'll probably be outmatched if you do, missing out on major additions to youe army or other benefits.

In a lot of ways, I think DW9 is at least attempting something similar. You have tons of side goals in each chapter. If you ignore them and go right to the end, you're in for much more of a challenge. If you do all of them, you level up and improve your army's standing a ton in a way that makes the climactic battle of that chapter easier and easier - to the point where it's probably a cakewalk if you've accomplished all of a chapter's major side goals.

Sure, Dynasty Warrior's 9's structure is definitely half-baked and poorly balanced. But through DW4, I feel like I have a better understanding of what it was meant to be and can kind of enjoy it a bit more.

The biggest difference is that ignoring side battles in DW4 and hopping right to the main battle was often the key to opening up alternate history paths, which as far as I know seems to be gone entirely in Dynasty Warriors 9. But I do honestly believe there's potential for them to tweak and build on this new direction for the series and have it work.

All that said, they'll probably drop it and go back to traditional Dynasty Warriors style in DW10, and I'll probably love it, so whatever.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

https://twitter.com/luulubuu/status/984924298908454913
https://twitter.com/SuperOssanBro/status/984984604938571777

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

kirbysuperstar posted:

I was just looking this up to see when it was coming out (didn't see that you put it in your post), and the JP version is already on Steam. However, it has mostly negative reviews: http://store.steampowered.com/app/628890/Nobunagas_Ambition_Taishi/

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Max Wilco posted:

I was just looking this up to see when it was coming out (didn't see that you put it in your post), and the JP version is already on Steam. However, it has mostly negative reviews: http://store.steampowered.com/app/628890/Nobunagas_Ambition_Taishi/

Yeah, hard to say what's what with most of the reviews not being in English (for obvious reasons) but one review from January does state they've fixed things up a bunch since release.

Insertnamehere31
Jan 23, 2012

This could be the most one-sided fight since 1973 when Ali faced an eighty-foot tall mechanical Joe Frazier. My memory isn't what it used to be, but I think the entire Earth was destroyed.

So I gave into temptation to buy dw9 despite all the bad reviews because I do love the series, I just played a bunch of ROTK XIII and I was able to get a new PS4 copy for ~35 bucks.

My first impressions are that this game looks and feels really bad. When the tutorial first loaded and it was choppy and foggy in a tiny room I knew things were worse than I thought they would be. I also went in and changed the audio from English to Chinese right after the peach garden oath, since those new voice actors are not very good. (That is not what Zhang Fei sounds like :colbert:)

Still I like the scale of the map and the whole sphere of influence thing going on, even if I haven’t done to much with it yet. It goes against my dw instincts to just let the offscreen officer deaths go by while doing fetch quests or whatever but I like the idea that it’s a big country and stuff happens that you can’t directly influence.

I’ve also run into a pretty big glitch like an hour in and I couldn’t find any other mention of it after a cursory google search so I thought I’d bring it here to see if anyone had seen it or knew how to get around it, or if I’m just a dummy and there’s a mechanical reason for it. I was doing the requests in the first military base you go to in Liu Bei’s story, Mt. Bailong I think it’s called. I took the request “arbiter of quarrels” which involved taking out two teams of bandits who were fighting each other. I fast travelled to a watchtower that was right next to their location and jumped off. When I hit the ground the two groups immediately dropped what they were doing and ran at me. When I tried to fight back however I realized they had no life bars and that neither I nor my allies could damage them, even though they could damage me. I tried fast traveling away and walking up to them from a distance, that didn’t work. I loaded and quit the game, that didn’t work. I tried to find a way to quit the request and couldn’t find a way to. Eventually I just decided to say gently caress it and just try to get on with the main quests, so I fast travelled away and went about my business. After completing a quest several villages away, I turned around to see those same groups of invincible bandits followed me all the way there. I really don’t want to deal with these guys following me around for the rest of the chapter, as it makes rolling around the camps or villages much less fun when I’m getting knocked down every 10 seconds.

Fake edit: are these supposed to be Zhang Jiao’s phantom soldiers or something? Then why would I have gotten a request specifically to deal with them right near the starting base?

Remarker
Feb 7, 2011

Insertnamehere31 posted:

So I gave into temptation to buy dw9 despite all the bad reviews because I do love the series, I just played a bunch of ROTK XIII and I was able to get a new PS4 copy for ~35 bucks.

My first impressions are that this game looks and feels really bad. When the tutorial first loaded and it was choppy and foggy in a tiny room I knew things were worse than I thought they would be. I also went in and changed the audio from English to Chinese right after the peach garden oath, since those new voice actors are not very good. (That is not what Zhang Fei sounds like :colbert:)

Still I like the scale of the map and the whole sphere of influence thing going on, even if I haven’t done to much with it yet. It goes against my dw instincts to just let the offscreen officer deaths go by while doing fetch quests or whatever but I like the idea that it’s a big country and stuff happens that you can’t directly influence.

I’ve also run into a pretty big glitch like an hour in and I couldn’t find any other mention of it after a cursory google search so I thought I’d bring it here to see if anyone had seen it or knew how to get around it, or if I’m just a dummy and there’s a mechanical reason for it. I was doing the requests in the first military base you go to in Liu Bei’s story, Mt. Bailong I think it’s called. I took the request “arbiter of quarrels” which involved taking out two teams of bandits who were fighting each other. I fast travelled to a watchtower that was right next to their location and jumped off. When I hit the ground the two groups immediately dropped what they were doing and ran at me. When I tried to fight back however I realized they had no life bars and that neither I nor my allies could damage them, even though they could damage me. I tried fast traveling away and walking up to them from a distance, that didn’t work. I loaded and quit the game, that didn’t work. I tried to find a way to quit the request and couldn’t find a way to. Eventually I just decided to say gently caress it and just try to get on with the main quests, so I fast travelled away and went about my business. After completing a quest several villages away, I turned around to see those same groups of invincible bandits followed me all the way there. I really don’t want to deal with these guys following me around for the rest of the chapter, as it makes rolling around the camps or villages much less fun when I’m getting knocked down every 10 seconds.

Fake edit: are these supposed to be Zhang Jiao’s phantom soldiers or something? Then why would I have gotten a request specifically to deal with them right near the starting base?

I haven't done that specific campaign and quest but that definitely sounds like a bug to me. Maybe Google to see if anyone else has encountered it?

It kind of sounds like an awesome, tense bonus mode though. Do all the hack n slash and light strategy of all the normal Dynasty Warriors games but also you're constantly on the run, KEEP MOVING OR DIE

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...
Arslan: The Warriors of Legend is on sale on PS4. Is it any good?

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Eh, it's a middle of the road anime Warriors, not Ken's Rage 2 bad, not Pirate Warriors 3 good. Has the same problem as the Berserk game where there's just the story mode and not much else.

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.
I played it and completed it on PC in 8 hours, according to Steam. And I think I even replayed a level or two, so that tells you how little content there is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Some numbers on the Koei Tecmo front:

Dynasty Warriors 9 – 730,000 units shipped worldwide
Attack on Titan 2 – 520,000 units shipped worldwide
Nobunaga’s Ambition – 130,000 units shipped in Japan and Asia
Atelier Lydie & Suelle – 180,000 units shipped in Japan and Asia
Fire Emblem Warriors – 1,000,000 units shipped worldwide
Nioh – 1,900,000 units shipped worldwide

They're going to focus more on overseas and still have plans with "popular western IP"