Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

byob historian
Nov 5, 2008

I'm an animal abusing piece of shit! I deliberately poisoned my dog to death and think it's funny! I'm an irredeemable sack of human shit!

So Math posted:

I don't have direct experience with the Mininova, but I love the dumbed-down version of its engine in the Circuit. If anything, the wavetables are a little cheaty; each "table" just crossfades between 6 different waves. I'm moving to Australia next week with minimal gear, and will probably look for an Ultranova once I get my feet under me.

I had some fun messing around with my sampler a few days ago. Curious to hear what people think, particularly mrbradlymrmartin. :)

https://soundcloud.com/jocko-homomorphism/goodbye

hahaha i know ive fallen too far into euro cuz my first thought was 'needs more vactrols'

in a good way tho, the delay sounds like an echophon without the vactrols in the beginning :thumbsup:

the . . . piano (?) bass at around 7:45 is really nice -- slowed down enough to sound weird but still enough punch to jump out

the vocal samples might need a little more chris matthews (for the Ha! factor) -- its fun hearing all the boring things people say turn into nonsense, and the chill electronic choruses end up making it more relaxed than straightup freakout

look foreword to hearing it through headphones

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer

So Math posted:

I'm moving to Australia next week

NOICE

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I made another vocoder thing for my vocoder thing:

https://soundcloud.com/danwarren/oh-you-temporary-thing

This one is basically a view of humanity from a computer/robot perspective, alternating between indulgence and contempt.

So Math
Jan 8, 2013

Ghostly Clothier

mrbradlymrmartin posted:

hahaha i know ive fallen too far into euro cuz my first thought was 'needs more vactrols'

in a good way tho, the delay sounds like an echophon without the vactrols in the beginning :thumbsup:

the . . . piano (?) bass at around 7:45 is really nice -- slowed down enough to sound weird but still enough punch to jump out
That's probably a wavetable demo I did on my electribe sampler a while back and never finished. There's a lot of unfinished 1-2 bar demos I recycled into this.

quote:

the vocal samples might need a little more chris matthews (for the Ha! factor) -- its fun hearing all the boring things people say turn into nonsense, and the chill electronic choruses end up making it more relaxed than straightup freakout
I'm not familiar, but I'll look him up! The samples are me reading bits from my thesis in one of those droll 1970s educational reel voices.

quote:

look foreword to hearing it through headphones
:3:

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
All right, got another track done-ish for the vocoder thing. This one is basically a view of humanity from a computer/robot perspective, alternating between indulgence and contempt.

Lyrics:

Oh you temporary thing
departing since the moment you arrived
you know you can't survive this on your own
you solitary thing
now reaching out in hopes that you will find
that another of your kind is reaching too
Some signal in the static peeking through
something out there looking out for you
and hey, you know it might be true

You ordinary thing,
less different than you want to believe
yet terrified to leave your gun at home,
you sedentary thing
now dying only inches from your birth
the master of the earth for all you knew
You looked around and found nothing to do
but never thought to blame your point of view
and say, "you know this can't be true"

"There must be more than this
a message that we missed
I just know somehow this can't be all, this can't be all"

Oh no, you broken nameless thing
cast up in ragged pieces on the shore
hoping that there's more than just the one
last quick and painless thing;
that life was just a shadow on a wall
and now you'll turn around and all will be revealed
The color and the shape will make it real
and somehow you will know how you should feel
While that isn't quite the deal,

there's something more than this
a message that you missed
You had to know this can't be all, just can't be all
oh no

floatman
Mar 17, 2009

Stan Taylor posted:

Anyone have experience with teenage engineering support? A button on my PO Office is not registering inputs and its a drag. I bought it at guitar center in January, so I'm not sure where I should contact first.

I think teenage engineering let's their distributors handle support, so contact GC first.
I once had an arcade which I ordered directly from them which came with a led light stuck to on permanently. They sent me a new PO arcade after I contacted them in email.

byob historian
Nov 5, 2008

I'm an animal abusing piece of shit! I deliberately poisoned my dog to death and think it's funny! I'm an irredeemable sack of human shit!

So Math posted:

That's probably a wavetable demo I did on my electribe sampler a while back and never finished. There's a lot of unfinished 1-2 bar demos I recycled into this.
yeah being able to easily make musical legos OR "actual" music is one of my fave things about playing the sampler. its like frippertronics, in that just playing often creates a recording, instead of having to specially set everything up

So Math posted:

I'm not familiar, but I'll look him up! The samples are me reading bits from my thesis in one of those droll 1970s educational reel voices.
he is the greatest living entertainer, imo. jot nust some dumb cable news jackass, THE dumb cable news jackass :smugdon:

it would add an interesting color to the vocal samples and their use: youve done real interesting vocal stuff with just your own speaking voice, but id def do *something* different for your next album, even if its just do the police in different voices. not to say anything bad about the use of vox in "goodbye", the creation of exciting sounds from a rather bored voice is well played :thumbsup:

:allears:
i tend to do things monochromatically so take my critiques with a grain of salt. im very comfortable when an entire piece feels of a piece

Tan Dumplord
Mar 9, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Scored a Realistic MG-1 for 350 CAD. Woo!

Divide down paraphony in an otherwise standard monosynth is pretty amazing.

Tan Dumplord fucked around with this message at 18:10 on Apr 1, 2018

BeigeJacket
Jul 21, 2005

I'm looking for recommendations for a cheap and cheerful (hardware) sample player. It'll be for snippets of speech only, not beats or stings or anything. Built in effects would be a plus but I can live without them.

Theres a Yamaha SU10 on ebay which I'm thinking of, but it doesn't have much memory.

floatman
Mar 17, 2009
Comedy option: a teenage engineering pocket operator

Scatterfold
Nov 4, 2008

Bought myself the first new synth in quite a long time, & which came today; a Roland D-05. it's all the 80s new-agey goodness i anticipated and is a great contrast to all the other gear i have.

pros:
USB audio is very crisp
ultra kitch, glittery, shiny, crisp, spangly, naff as gently caress sounds
little joystick movements really bring life to the patches

cons:
package doesn't come with power plug (no big deal if you're running off USB)
*or* a loving USB cable (how cheap is that?!)
you'll never be able to program it without the help of this http://breadandbuttersounds.com/#D05Editor

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
I have a D-50 and a D-05 and yeah, the 05 is great. It's a lot like the DX7 in that there's shitloads of patches out there to grab.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

BeigeJacket posted:

I'm looking for recommendations for a cheap and cheerful (hardware) sample player. It'll be for snippets of speech only, not beats or stings or anything. Built in effects would be a plus but I can live without them.

Theres a Yamaha SU10 on ebay which I'm thinking of, but it doesn't have much memory.
You're sorta looking at the Akai MPX8, maybe? When it came out, I passed on it because of reviews about the poor timing accuracy and it sometimes dropping a couple of samples from the front of the sample, which makes it fairly lovely for drums, but you should be good with speech only, I think. There's a bigger version too. SD card support and whatnot. I don't know. Read reviews. It's cheap.

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006
I had an MpX8 but returned it, it crashed when you tried to play a sample longer than 10 seconds. The limit is supposed to be 30

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

Dyna Soar posted:

I had an MpX8 but returned it, it crashed when you tried to play a sample longer than 10 seconds. The limit is supposed to be 30
Ugh. I wanted it to be any good at all so bad.

Why can't they give the drat thing some firmware upgrades -nothing fancy- just until it works as promised on release. That's such a poo poo move.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.

BeigeJacket posted:

What about a Teenage Engineering PO-33 KO?

BeigeJacket
Jul 21, 2005

Flipperwaldt posted:

Ugh. I wanted it to be any good at all so bad.

Why can't they give the drat thing some firmware upgrades -nothing fancy- just until it works as promised on release. That's such a poo poo move.

Yeah, I was looking at those MpX8s but the bad reviews scared me off.

That Pocket Operator looks ok, but has more features than I really need, plus only 40 seconds of sample time.

I've got the drum machine PO, and it packs a surprisingly big sound, but the cutesy cartoons really annoy me far more than they should.

So Math
Jan 8, 2013

Ghostly Clothier
Volca Sample has a little bit more room.

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006
i spent quite some time looking for a simple sampler that would have minimal built in effects and no time stretching but the ability to play long samples from memory as well as being midi controllable. so like an mp3 player you can control via midi i guess?

i found this, it's perfect: http://www.samplerbox.org/

byob historian
Nov 5, 2008

Dyna Soar posted:

i spent quite some time looking for a simple sampler that would have minimal built in effects and no time stretching but the ability to play long samples from memory as well as being midi controllable. so like an mp3 player you can control via midi i guess?

why do you want something so boring when you could get something crazy fun like an sp :thunk:

i know people play things different but i aint never seen nobody in front of an sp who wasnt smiling

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006
well i have a nice assortment of pedals so built in effects weren't of much interest to me. i was also going to use it with my metal band to fire off vocal samples in between and in the middle of songs via a midi controller pedal while playing bass. i now have a digitakt and an octatrack though so no need for another sampler i think, hah.

also that piece of gear is just as boring as your samples and midi controller are. weirdly there's really nothing else like it on the market.

Dyna Soar fucked around with this message at 01:27 on Apr 3, 2018

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Dyna Soar posted:

Also sold out :smith:

So Math
Jan 8, 2013

Ghostly Clothier
Since you're already looking at a Rasberry Pi, I would imagine other folks just use VSTs or launch clips from a DAW to fill that niche. Which is still kind of a bummer!

How about one of those old Dictaphone tape recorders that has a foot pedal for playback control? There's some on ebay for about $50.

byob historian
Nov 5, 2008

So Math posted:

Since you're already looking at a Rasberry Pi, I would imagine other folks just use VSTs or launch clips from a DAW to fill that niche. Which is still kind of a bummer!

How about one of those old Dictaphone tape recorders that has a foot pedal for playback control? There's some on ebay for about $50.
tape is one of those things ive never been brave or rich enough to fool around with

i should gently caress up some cassettes :pisstape:

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy
I should be coming into some extra cash soon and I'm for sure gonna blow some of it on an OP-1.

Right now I have volca keys, beats, a PO-33 KO and a PO office on a mixer with USB out to my PC. I'm not recording anything just making jams and having a good time.

I'm pretty pleased with this, however I would like to have a nicer set of keys to play on. I'm not sure if I should go straight for a midi controller or if I'd rather get something like a used microkorg or mininova. I'm real interested in checking out vocoders and voice synthesis. Are those able to control the Volca line or a DAW if I get one of those midi/usb converters?

Also I'm interested in looking into an effects pedal or two. I love those op1+looper pedal jam setups, it looks like exactly what I want to be able to do, quickly layer sounds on top of each other to make fuller tracks.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Stan Taylor posted:

I should be coming into some extra cash soon and I'm for sure gonna blow some of it on an OP-1.

Right now I have volca keys, beats, a PO-33 KO and a PO office on a mixer with USB out to my PC. I'm not recording anything just making jams and having a good time.

I'm pretty pleased with this, however I would like to have a nicer set of keys to play on. I'm not sure if I should go straight for a midi controller or if I'd rather get something like a used microkorg or mininova. I'm real interested in checking out vocoders and voice synthesis. Are those able to control the Volca line or a DAW if I get one of those midi/usb converters?

Also I'm interested in looking into an effects pedal or two. I love those op1+looper pedal jam setups, it looks like exactly what I want to be able to do, quickly layer sounds on top of each other to make fuller tracks.

I couldn't answer your question about the microkorg or mininova directly, but just throwing this out there: the Keystep is a fantastic piece of kit in its own right. Not the world's greatest, biggest keys but they're an improvement over anything you have now (and the OP-1's keys) and it has a bunch of fun functionality. Controlling the OP-1 from a separate midi controller is a little complicated without a computer in the mix but I'm pretty sure it's doable with most midi/usb converters. TE has their own usb/midi/cv/sync box that I think was specifically intended to incorporate the OP-1 into a bigger setup, but it's a little expensive if you just want USB to Midi. Not even sure what the standard is these days for a standalone USB/Midi box, I used to see the iConnectivity boxes or that one Keith MacMillen box pretty frequently.

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

since the iOS thread got closed: what app do you guys recommend for recording audiobus output?

Tan Dumplord
Mar 9, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
A divide-down oscillator is such an amazing add for an analog synth, even when paraphonically connected to an analog engine. Why isn't behringer doing an MG-1 clone?

Like it must be cheap as chips to implement for 25 keys. Although I looked at the implementation of the MG-1 and the oscillators are gated by each keyswitch, which has to have reliability issues.

JamesKPolk
Apr 9, 2009

sliderule posted:

A divide-down oscillator is such an amazing add for an analog synth, even when paraphonically connected to an analog engine. Why isn't behringer doing an MG-1 clone?

Like it must be cheap as chips to implement for 25 keys. Although I looked at the implementation of the MG-1 and the oscillators are gated by each keyswitch, which has to have reliability issues.

TOG chips are real hard to come by and expensive afaik - I've kind of been wondering myself (or why there's not more divide-down oscillator projects out there) and thats as close to an answer as I've found. (No idea if this is what the MG-1 does but its what stopped my DIY euro string machine in the planning stages)

Why they're not cloning/reproducing them, couldn't tell ya - I figure it can't be *that* hard to do. Part of it might be demand? It's definitely a niche thing and I think for the way most people approach synthesis as consumers it doesn't seem like it would be cool (and savvier synthesists are a pain in the rear end customer bass for things like the Behringer clones where they want volume based on name recognition).

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

come post with us, forever and ever and ever
Unless he’s really only going to do a run for the Roland vp clone I’m sure coolaudio will be selling their TOGs afterward.

JamesKPolk
Apr 9, 2009

Different TOG, unfortunately (for the clone).

Good point though, I completely spaced that - that's gonna be cool.

byob historian
Nov 5, 2008

whats the problem with TOGs, they only need to be regular vcos, if you use 12 of them you dont have to run it ungodly fast to divide all your nootes from a single one, right?

idk & idgaf about full polyphony i am diggin the duophonic odyssey :twisted:

the power situation is bizarre but the module works right and it makes cool sounds and stuff :3: i feel closer to eno already

Tan Dumplord
Mar 9, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Duophony is fun in the Odyssey, especially discovering the triggering and portamento behavior.

Or hold a bass note and solo stacatto.

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

I could be a revolutionary
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xfD8RmALHwQ

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Sometimes, there's a man, well, he's the man for his time and place. He fits right in there. And that's Jimmy T.
I feel like there are a couple people here who own an MPC and I had some questions about the older models and what the difference is. I was looking up Kanye's equipment and there are several examples of him using an MPC 2000XL, which I see for substantially less than the MPC3000. I have seen a couple 2000XL's under $500, but haven't seen a single 3000 under $1000. Is there a big difference in the functionality or is it more the rarity that makes the price so high? I don't NEED an MPC, but I always keep an eye out for local deals and saw a 2000XL for $450 and wanted to know how good of a deal that is (assuming all functional).

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

Trig Discipline posted:

All right, got another track done-ish for the vocoder thing. This one is basically a view of humanity from a computer/robot perspective, alternating between indulgence and contempt.

I loved this, would it be okay if I use it in my Paranoia campaign? "Alternating between indulgence and contempt" is exactly how I play Friend Computer.

Transistor Rhythm
Feb 16, 2011

If setting the Sustain Level in the ENV to around 7, you can obtain a howling sound.

MrSargent posted:

I feel like there are a couple people here who own an MPC and I had some questions about the older models and what the difference is. I was looking up Kanye's equipment and there are several examples of him using an MPC 2000XL, which I see for substantially less than the MPC3000. I have seen a couple 2000XL's under $500, but haven't seen a single 3000 under $1000. Is there a big difference in the functionality or is it more the rarity that makes the price so high? I don't NEED an MPC, but I always keep an eye out for local deals and saw a 2000XL for $450 and wanted to know how good of a deal that is (assuming all functional).

The 3000 is a far more "luxurious"/high end machine. It's physically large, built very well, and though it was 16-bit it sounds very good - colored in a pleasing way and very dynamic and punchy. The 2000 was a cut-down, smaller, cheaper MPC built around the S-2000 sound engine which is one of the most bland, uninteresting sounding samplers of its generation. The 2000 was very ubiquitous in the mid-to-late nineties.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

After The War posted:

I loved this, would it be okay if I use it in my Paranoia campaign? "Alternating between indulgence and contempt" is exactly how I play Friend Computer.

I have no idea what a Paranoia campaign is, but as long as there's attribution and you're not making fat bucks off of it without giving me a taste, go for it!

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Sometimes, there's a man, well, he's the man for his time and place. He fits right in there. And that's Jimmy T.

Transistor Rhythm posted:

The 3000 is a far more "luxurious"/high end machine. It's physically large, built very well, and though it was 16-bit it sounds very good - colored in a pleasing way and very dynamic and punchy. The 2000 was a cut-down, smaller, cheaper MPC built around the S-2000 sound engine which is one of the most bland, uninteresting sounding samplers of its generation. The 2000 was very ubiquitous in the mid-to-late nineties.

Thanks a lot for the notes on the 2000 vs. the 3000. I think I'll just try and keep an eye out for deals on either a 60 or 3000 since those seem to be the vintage models to own.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

Trig Discipline posted:

I have no idea what a Paranoia campaign is, but as long as there's attribution and you're not making fat bucks off of it without giving me a taste, go for it!

The role-playing game of a darkly humorous future. For the most part, I run it with an all-chiptune soundtrack, which gives me an excuse to explore the Commodore demoscene stuff I loved in high school.

And no, no fat bucks. Not even negative fat bucks because the edition I love is out of print. :smith: