Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Big Poppa
Aug 21, 2003
Big Poppa is fine.

oddium posted:

sounds like scotland wasn't in the war/giving access and landing your troops there exiled them yeah. look for a black flag on them

I got access before I sent them to Scotland. Wouldn't let me any other way. Scotland was not involved in the war, however. Maybe that made the difference?

I was only Guaranteeing Scotland (from the start) and got Military Access later.

Just seemed really weird that I could attack Caux and the other French cores that England had, but the troops I had in Scotland just walked all around England sightseeing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

Big Poppa posted:

I got access before I sent them to Scotland. Wouldn't let me any other way. Scotland was not involved in the war, however. Maybe that made the difference?

I was only Guaranteeing Scotland (from the start) and got Military Access later.

Just seemed really weird that I could attack Caux and the other French cores that England had, but the troops I had in Scotland just walked all around England sightseeing.

You need to be allied, otherwise that group of soldiers will be exiled until you return them to friendly territory. It's a balance thing to stop surprise attacks with no warning.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Big Poppa posted:

To clarify what others are saying, you can't march or land your troops in the military access areas until *after* you declare war, or they'll be exiled.

You can totally have them sitting just off the coast in transports though. Come to think of it you could probably even give them an order to land and declare the day before they hit terra firma, though I haven't tried this

Wafflecopper fucked around with this message at 07:44 on Apr 1, 2018

Kuiperdolin
Sep 5, 2011

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php?threads/euiv-special-weekend-development-diary.1085000/

So the next expansion will be about filling a new bar again... :rolleyes:

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Interesting choice of trade good value.

Kuiperdolin posted:

:golfclap:

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Then you have a responsibility that no man has ever faced. You have your fear which could become reality, and you have Godzilla, which is reality.

Kuiperdolin posted:

Mods..?!

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono
I think I've managed to get this For Odin game off the ground. Of course, I probably should have checked whether I was eligible for the achievement when I started, but whatever. I noticed in an earlier attempt that for no discernible reason, For Odin sometimes just doesn't appear in the achievements list and that happened this time too. gently caress it, I'll go for it anyway.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
I thought I set it up for a unsuccessful run of Ideas Guy and First Come, First Serve but I forgot to set my religion to Norse (went Christian instead because easier integration of other european colonizers).

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
What’s the quickest England could feasibly grab Gibraltar? I kind of want to steal it from Granada really quick before Castile can eat them, but I probably won’t be able to core it if I do that so early, right?

Big Poppa
Aug 21, 2003
Big Poppa is fine.

Wafflecopper posted:

To clarify what others are saying, you can't march or land your troops in the military access areas until *after* you declare war, or they'll be exiled.

You can totally have them sitting just off the coast in transports though. Come to think of it you could probably even give them an order to land and declare the day before they hit terra firma, though I haven't tried this

Thanks for the help. I definitely parked them in Scotland, THEN declared war.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.

skasion posted:

What’s the quickest England could feasibly grab Gibraltar? I kind of want to steal it from Granada really quick before Castile can eat them, but I probably won’t be able to core it if I do that so early, right?

You'd have to eat the stab hit from war without a cb but nothing is stopping you from deccing day one. And Castile/Portugal won't jump in until a few years later when their truce ends so you'd want to do it before that. And it should be in coring range with it being on the coast and all.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
Why the gently caress are so many government forms with such irritating and arcane requirements?

If I want to be the African Shogun, why the hell doesn't it just have me have to be one of the requirements instead of all of them?

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Rynoto posted:

You'd have to eat the stab hit from war without a cb but nothing is stopping you from deccing day one. And Castile/Portugal won't jump in until a few years later when their truce ends so you'd want to do it before that. And it should be in coring range with it being on the coast and all.

I waited until I got the permaclaim from the mission then declared, since Castile was being weirdly passive and hadn’t touched them. Oddly I couldn’t actually conquer any provinces from them though, because I couldn’t make them cores apparently. So I just vassalized Granada and then seized the province from them later, and could core it just fine. Might have been a bug I guess.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!
Missions driving renaissance England to seize Gibraltar and Egypt rub me the wrong way, frankly.

Firebatgyro
Dec 3, 2010

skasion posted:

I waited until I got the permaclaim from the mission then declared, since Castile was being weirdly passive and hadn’t touched them. Oddly I couldn’t actually conquer any provinces from them though, because I couldn’t make them cores apparently. So I just vassalized Granada and then seized the province from them later, and could core it just fine. Might have been a bug I guess.

You could core it after seizing because it was adjacent to a vassal's core

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

https://twitter.com/LuigiThirty/status/980649329470902272

The Renaissance polymath No Advisor, famous for his inventions such as noculture, noreligion, rebels, and NO_TEXT_FOR_KEY.

JerikTelorian
Jan 19, 2007

So I haven't really played this game since before Estates were added (Cossacks I think?). I never really understood how to be good at war and shifted to HoI4 and Stellaris which I just understood better. I saw Reman's Military Academy videos posted above and that actually helped me a lot

I always wanted to do a game as Spain and be a colonial mastermind, and while I was able to succeed on the colonial scale, I always got whomped by european wars, especially with loving France. I'm thinking of starting a new Castille game tonight with what I learned from the Reman videos. Any suggestions for a general path to victory with Castille? Not looking to WC or anything, just to do well.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Luigi Thirty posted:

https://twitter.com/LuigiThirty/status/980649329470902272

The Renaissance polymath No Advisor, famous for his inventions such as noculture, noreligion, rebels, and NO_TEXT_FOR_KEY.

Ah, the origins of No Theatre.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!

Fister Roboto posted:

Ah, the origins of Dr. No.

:colbert:

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky

JerikTelorian posted:

I always wanted to do a game as Spain and be a colonial mastermind, and while I was able to succeed on the colonial scale, I always got whomped by european wars, especially with loving France. I'm thinking of starting a new Castille game tonight with what I learned from the Reman videos. Any suggestions for a general path to victory with Castille? Not looking to WC or anything, just to do well.

Conquer ibera, team up with whomever to punch France in the dick early and often. Once France is down, you're sort of impossible to match and can do whatever you want, mostly. Becoming the HRE is always fun.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

JerikTelorian posted:

Your biggest hurdle is the early game, you start with a terrible ruler and heir which will leave you starved for points, there's a Castilian Civil War disaster and potential revolts from conquering Granada.

Try to stay up to date on military technology, you have good military NIs and defensible terrain, but if you fall behind on military tech you'll get creamed by France and friends.

It's still a decent strategy to vassalize Portugal to have them as your lil' colonizer buddy. What I've done is release Galicia as a vassal, attack Portugal, give most of the Portuguese cores to Galicia so you don't have to core them, then vassalize Portugal when they're small enough (it'll take 2-3 wars). Then end vassalization of Galicia and reconquer Portugal's cores from them. Set Portugal to a march so they keep more of their income and they'll do a lot of colonizing for you.

It's not necessarily the best idea to fight Aragon since you can PU then inherit them for free from the Iberian Wedding event. I believe it's possible (but somewhat unlikely) to start with friendly relations toward them, consider restarting until you're buddies and don't have to deal with fighting them.

You shouldn't have too much difficulty fighting France if you lure them into forts in the Pyrenees mountains. Then you get a terrain bonus and you have similarly good military NIs.

JerikTelorian
Jan 19, 2007

I actually started with friendly relations with Aragon which surprised me, since I never saw that before.

Is it worth disinheriting your lovely starting Heir? I think it lowers stability but I can't think of much worse than having that 0/0/0 clown for however many years.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

you lose 50 prestige with the cost being that if your king dies, you end up in a personal union under who-ever, you gain not having a drat 0/0/0 idiot. I say kill the poor sod and pray your king pops out a not-idiot before he croaks

Traxis
Jul 2, 2006

Ya, it is definitely worth it to disinherit your heir. I did it and this was my next ruler:

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!
If anyone wants to do a Byzantium playthrough to try out the new missions, I had the following strategy work flawlessly the first 2 times I tried it:

1. Before unpausing: guarantee Candar, mil focus, hire a mil advisor, hire a general from the nobility and pump nobility for mil points and merchants for cash, delete fort in Morea. Set all Ottoman provinces as provinces of interest, except for the Albanian provinces.

2. Improve Relations with Albania, sell your 2 barques and hire up to your army and navy forcelimits with infantry / galleys. While this is happening also improve relations to make a few throwaway allies ASAP (Wallachia is a good one) to reduce the chance of the Ottomans declaring on you.

3. If all goes well then the OE will declare on Albania as their first war; when this happens, ally Albania and accept their CtA. You'll hit mil tech 4 fairly quickly and with Venetian assistance and Skanderbeg the Ottomans are not too difficult to beat in a straight up fight. The AI will pass over occupation of almost all Balkan provinces to you; the aim here is to separate peace for Edirne and whatever else you can get, but don't take your other cores directly. Then when Albania wins their separate war they will force the Ottomans to return your other cores as part of the peace deal, essentially letting you get >150% warscore value of provinces and reparations from a single war.

This also works on hard but you need to restart until you get a dip rep advisor which is required to get a RM with Albania, without which they won't ally you even at max relations.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

RabidWeasel posted:

If anyone wants to do a Byzantium playthrough to try out the new missions, I had the following strategy work flawlessly the first 2 times I tried it:

1. Before unpausing: guarantee Candar, mil focus, hire a mil advisor, hire a general from the nobility and pump nobility for mil points and merchants for cash, delete fort in Morea. Set all Ottoman provinces as provinces of interest, except for the Albanian provinces.

2. Improve Relations with Albania, sell your 2 barques and hire up to your army and navy forcelimits with infantry / galleys. While this is happening also improve relations to make a few throwaway allies ASAP (Wallachia is a good one) to reduce the chance of the Ottomans declaring on you.

3. If all goes well then the OE will declare on Albania as their first war; when this happens, ally Albania and accept their CtA. You'll hit mil tech 4 fairly quickly and with Venetian assistance and Skanderbeg the Ottomans are not too difficult to beat in a straight up fight. The AI will pass over occupation of almost all Balkan provinces to you; the aim here is to separate peace for Edirne and whatever else you can get, but don't take your other cores directly. Then when Albania wins their separate war they will force the Ottomans to return your other cores as part of the peace deal, essentially letting you get >150% warscore value of provinces and reparations from a single war.

This also works on hard but you need to restart until you get a dip rep advisor which is required to get a RM with Albania, without which they won't ally you even at max relations.

Given this a go and the Ottomans have attacked Albania in September 1445. My relations with Albania are at +23 - +33 from improved relations and -10 from us being tolerated heretics. Did the Ottomans usually wait longer for you?

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!
Yeah they didn't attack before mid 1446, maybe I got lucky twice? You do have to RM with Albania as soon as possible though.

Cockblocktopus
Apr 18, 2009

Since the beginning of time, man has yearned to destroy the sun.

JerikTelorian posted:

If you just want to chill out and colonize as Spain then ally France as soon as you can. Once you get Aragon under control and especially if you get Portugal under control, you're set in Europe for the rest of the game. Do whatever France asks (shouldn't be more than the occasional call to arms) and keep them happy and they'll bail you out if England starts landing armies on your northern coast or something.

There's still plenty of room for adventuring, especially if Naples comes with Aragon, but life's too short to focus on crushing France if you just want an easy Spanish game.

mobius42
Dec 19, 2006

RabidWeasel posted:

Yeah they didn't attack before mid 1446, maybe I got lucky twice? You do have to RM with Albania as soon as possible though.

I was about to curse you as I tried half a dozen Byzantium strategies over the weekend and decided to try this again tonight, but Ottomans went after Candar a year into the game. However, Candar had quite a few allies and I was able to peace out with Edirne, Macedonia, and Thessaly. See how this goes for round 2, but I am not in debt like I was with other strategies.

Moonshine Rhyme
Mar 26, 2010

Hate Hate Hate Hate Hate
How's this work if Skanderbeg gets immediately wiped out? I definitely want to make this work, not nearly good enough at the game to work my own strategy though. Second time through, they declared on Albania first this time in late 1445 but immediately wiped Skanderbeg and his measly 4k. How are you supposed to get your troops to him through the castles?

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

"I want to see what she's in love with."

Slowly picking this up, but picking my start based on liking the flag often leads to poor starts. My last run I gave up when the other small guy I managed to finally get into a war with 1-on-1 curb stomped my 10k army with his 6k army and a general with 14 pips. I'm not sure if he just got silly lucky or if there is something I'm missing, my general had like 5.

edit: if I pick one of these countries that start at tech level 2 is it worth it to save my points for tech, or dump them somewhere else while waiting to find Feudalism somewhere?

ZypherIM fucked around with this message at 04:41 on Apr 3, 2018

Firebatgyro
Dec 3, 2010

ZypherIM posted:

Slowly picking this up, but picking my start based on liking the flag often leads to poor starts. My last run I gave up when the other small guy I managed to finally get into a war with 1-on-1 curb stomped my 10k army with his 6k army and a general with 14 pips. I'm not sure if he just got silly lucky or if there is something I'm missing, my general had like 5.

There's basically 3 factors to winning combat.

Tech: Certain techs are more important than other, the biggest ones are the ones that give you base morale (Getting mil 4 quickly is massive)
Generals: Early game you want shock pips, late game you want fire. Siege is always great. Maneuver is just a nice bonus.
Terrain: You can get up to -3 on all your rolls by attacking into mountains while taking a river crossing. Basic strategy is to build forts on good terrain and attack in while they are sieging so you get the + bonus. Also try to avoid any fight where you get worse than -1.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

ZypherIM posted:

Sounds like it was probably down to the generals - extra pips can make a huuuge difference, especially in if they're in shock at the start of the game. Also rather than always trying to get 1v1 wars, focus on getting good allies you can call in on your target, or on jumping someone who is already in a serious war. 1v1 is good too if you can get it, but most of the time your target will have allies, and such opportunities are too rare to limit yourself to.

quote:

edit: if I pick one of these countries that start at tech level 2 is it worth it to save my points for tech, or dump them somewhere else while waiting to find Feudalism somewhere?

If you have the DLC that lets you develop your provinces, you can spend points to seed institutions into your provinces by developing them. As a bonus you get a high-dev province. It's a lot faster this way than waiting for institutions to spread naturally, although you may end up lagging behind your neighbours tech-wise in the short term. Personally I will only use mil points for developing if I can do so without falling behind on mil tech. Diplo and admin techs can wait.

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

"I want to see what she's in love with."

I think he had like 5 shock, 4 fire, and another 5 spread across the last two (my guy was.. 2 fire 2 shock or something like that). No modifiers on the tile we were fighting on, I was expecting it to go a little more like other times I've fought, but he just crushed me crazy hard before I was even thinking I needed to run.

Yea I've got access to developing land to slowly get feudalism, wasn't sure if that was a waste as the online things I've found have seemed to suggest that spending on not tech/ideas was terrible until you're banking up piles of monarch points. Might be a symptom of playing smaller nations, but most advice I've seen around seems to be geared more for starting with a more substantial country like Castille, and when I can't finagle a war properly I kind of am left twiddling my thumbs not sure how to advance (and thinking that there should be a way to better spend my time than sitting around waiting for research or for someone else to randomly drop their alliance).

What speed knob are you guys usually running on? That might help with my mental timing mindframe.

Firebatgyro
Dec 3, 2010

ZypherIM posted:

I think he had like 5 shock, 4 fire, and another 5 spread across the last two (my guy was.. 2 fire 2 shock or something like that). No modifiers on the tile we were fighting on, I was expecting it to go a little more like other times I've fought, but he just crushed me crazy hard before I was even thinking I needed to run.

Yea I've got access to developing land to slowly get feudalism, wasn't sure if that was a waste as the online things I've found have seemed to suggest that spending on not tech/ideas was terrible until you're banking up piles of monarch points. Might be a symptom of playing smaller nations, but most advice I've seen around seems to be geared more for starting with a more substantial country like Castille, and when I can't finagle a war properly I kind of am left twiddling my thumbs not sure how to advance (and thinking that there should be a way to better spend my time than sitting around waiting for research or for someone else to randomly drop their alliance).

What speed knob are you guys usually running on? That might help with my mental timing mindframe.

For most non-feudalism starts the best way to get it is to just conquer enough provinces that already have it to embrace (probably only need 1).

Some people enjoy sitting around doing nothing but if I'm not in a war or getting ready for a war whats the point of even playing. If you can't find a good war at the start just take a dumb one and see if you can abuse or luck your way into a victory, worse thing that can happen is you have to restart.

I play on speed 4 unless I'm in a serious multi-front war where i'll go down to 3.

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe

Fister Roboto posted:

If you compare it by yearly manpower regeneration, you need to inflict 80% more casualties than you take in order to make a country with quantity hurt more than you do, with all else being equal. That takes a lot of stackwiping, and with little room for error.

Also nobody ever comes into this thread and says "wow, the Ottomans/France/Russia took quantity ideas, beating them with my vastly superior troops will be a walk in the park".

They do after they starved 130k Turks in the desert. Especially early game quantity can be a trap because of combat width, attrition and other factors. I am usually happy when I fight someone with quantity ideas because it makes it easier to get them to high WE.
Defensive, Quantity, Quality, Offensive are all good ideas to pick, you just need to know and understand how they work and how you take advantage of them.

What I am saying is, if you constantly run out of manpower and think quantity will fix that it wont, you need to improve your game to prevent that.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

Taking quantity has fixed manpower problems for me plenty of times though. Sure if you pack 40k troops onto desert fort provinces all the time you'll still run out, but it still makes it much easier to fight protracted wars or chain wars.

OperaMouse
Oct 30, 2010

For me the view is that quantity gives more troops, but those can be had also via either hiring mercs (money) or conquest.

It's the same thought process as Trade: merchants can be gained from conquest in Asia, and removal of other countries increases your own trade power. Therefore in the long run, Trade is not a good idea group.

That being said, I fully agree with Reman's view that quantity probably gets your steamroller up and running faster, as it removes a big early bottleneck: manpower.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

you still need a bigger economy to sustain those troops though, which is not a factor with defensive/offensive/quality.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

OperaMouse posted:

For me the view is that quantity gives more troops, but those can be had also via either hiring mercs (money) or conquest.

Sure, but you need manpower in the first place to conquer lands for more money/manpower. If you're worried about it being redundant later, (after a certain point it more or less is) you can always just take the first two ideas for 70% increased manpower regen and then drop it for something else later on