Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pulsarcat
Feb 7, 2012

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Yeah it's the Bandit Gang capture. There's another one I messed up by a river but only got that to spawn once

Okay, first you will need to bolster your might so you can run for longer.

Fight as normal until you cross a gate and run into an ambush which closes the gate.
Destroy the cannon there and start fighting groups, while always sticking near the gate you came in from.
When you are down to the last group make sure you are right next to the gate when the group dies and make sure your gauge is full.
As soon the last group dies it will trigger a cutscene which opens the gate, immediately dash through and start following your target, ignore everything else, at your level you can just run past them.

With the camera facing your target, hang slightly to the right of him because he eventully turns right and heads down a hill, if you manage to catch up with him he'll run right into you and stop for a second, then it's mostly a matter of doing enough damage, and hoping your boost gauge doesn't run out, because by time you catch up to him he's at the top of the hill and only a few seconds away from the end.

Honestly this is a bullshit skirmish because even doing this I failed the first time, basically you want him to run into you and stop long enough for you to kill him.

I think Yo Ho-Ho and Marlene's abilities helps a little bit here because it can turn a couple of his allies against him for a little bit of damage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

You can also stunlock Gordo with Khunbish and Jared. The problem with Alluring Scent is that I don't think your troops will attack charmed enemies, and if you hit Gordo with it he'll just keep running.

That skirmish is just dumb, though.

Hwurmp fucked around with this message at 13:06 on Apr 1, 2018

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Wanna know the funny part. Real hilarious part?

I did it first try on my next attempt. Turns out I uh, didn't know you could run in these. Haha very funny me :shepface:

I've done every Skirmish that I can and have almost every sidequest done. There's no way to check for ones you haven't finished yet either so I'm going crazy right now trying to figure out what I'm missing. Like... this weird smelly shoe quest doesn't somehow morph into a skirmish does it??

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

No, it seems like the smelly shoes are just a random drop.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

its apparently a negative modifier on low rank drops which uh becomes difficult to get once you do the research that makes all drops higher quality

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Suddenly glad I never sell anything and had smelly shoes on me

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Got it, there was a "rare" survey squad quest in the winterlands.

Almost done. Just need to gobble up like a thousand balls and finish the final dream door.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Let me know how many floors it is so I can decide wether or not I can be arsed, I got to floor 22 and all the enemies were level 80 something at danger 1 so a gave up.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Sakurazuka posted:

Let me know how many floors it is so I can decide wether or not I can be arsed, I got to floor 22 and all the enemies were level 80 something at danger 1 so a gave up.

It's 30 and the boss is level 95 and hits like a freight train. Woof.

Then again I'm only level 75 and didn't have high equips. You get material for the final armor and weapons at level 20+

hope you are ok
Apr 16, 2005

I can't properly express how disappointed I was with this game. During the opening five hours, I was full of expectations; at around the tenth hour of gameplay, I came to the realisation that nothing of interest was going to happen, but the dual motivations of sunk cost (time, money) and a sunk life (my time has no value) led me to proceed through hours 10-through-37 in a serotonin haze fed by the shallow Kingdom Builder system; where your numbers will increase, and the increase will get bigger, as you increase the other numbers. The net result of the Kingdom Builder system is a linear progression of spells, buffs, and other minor bonuses held hostage to busywork. People on the internet will tell you that this is the best part of the game, and they're probably not that far from the truth. That said, I'd like to hear some explanation here for why the kingdom building is so good?

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

number go up make brain happy

get big number for big happy

lizard brain pleased

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

number go up make brain happy

get big number for big happy

lizard brain pleased

This usually doesn't work on me but for some reason it does in this game

I don't know

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Yeah it's something I can kinda acknowledge as shallow but it's just enough to make me enjoy it on a cosmetic level. I like seeing what the level 3 buildings looked like (when they went through the effort to actually make them anyway) and seeing the screen become more and more filled with my buildings. The actual research bit and stuff like that I don't give a poo poo about and don't care if it was removed but I like seeing my kingdom literally grow.

hope you are ok
Apr 16, 2005

EXACTLY. It's a buzz from numbers going up and some minor feedback around that. I feel like the game would be just as good if you simply received the benefits from the Kingdom Builder by levelling.

It's just really depressing that actual professional reviewers have cited the Kingdom Building as the game's selling point. It's a distraction. It's nothing.

Pulsarcat
Feb 7, 2012

Yeah, it's weirdly addictive, I loved just making buildings get bigger and then using all the crap you gathered to make new gear and higgles.

I just really wish you could walk around in it and see all the unique citizens working the various jobs you assigned them

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

I picked up the game and I'm up to chapter 2 and I'm enjoying it so far.

I'm wondering though; the game seems to absolutely vomit gear upon you, is it safe to sell stuff off to vendors as soon as you find better stuff, or is there a different use for it later? I haven't got to the kingdom building part yet, so I dunno if you reach a point where you can break down gear for crafting parts or something, or if there are some higgledy stones that will eat your old gear that will make me wish I'd held on to it all.

I'm told that money isn't too precious in this game, and that's cool, but I'm wondering if there's anything else at all that's worth hanging on to old equipment for, or if selling it for cash is the only thing you can do with it?

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Ainsley McTree posted:

I picked up the game and I'm up to chapter 2 and I'm enjoying it so far.

I'm wondering though; the game seems to absolutely vomit gear upon you, is it safe to sell stuff off to vendors as soon as you find better stuff, or is there a different use for it later? I haven't got to the kingdom building part yet, so I dunno if you reach a point where you can break down gear for crafting parts or something, or if there are some higgledy stones that will eat your old gear that will make me wish I'd held on to it all.

I'm told that money isn't too precious in this game, and that's cool, but I'm wondering if there's anything else at all that's worth hanging on to old equipment for, or if selling it for cash is the only thing you can do with it?

If you find any "Stinky" footwear, hold onto it for a late-game quest.

Soon you'll unlock Swift Solutions, the repeatable fetch-quest service. Sometimes they'll have orders for pieces of low-level equipment, but that's entirely optional and before long you'll have the means to easily craft whatever they're requesting.

Selling is the only thing to do with your old gear otherwise.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Really Pants posted:

If you find any "Stinky" footwear, hold onto it for a late-game quest.

Soon you'll unlock Swift Solutions, the repeatable fetch-quest service. Sometimes they'll have orders for pieces of low-level equipment, but that's entirely optional and before long you'll have the means to easily craft whatever they're requesting.

Selling is the only thing to do with your old gear otherwise.

Perfect, thank you!

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

There are some other quests that require weapons or armor, but it's mostly high-level stuff that you'd have to craft.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I kept hold of everything just in case, money is such a non-issue in this game anyway.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

I kept hold of everything because it's a Level-5 Game and they loving love alchemy pots for some weird reason. Turns out that uh, that isn't the case here.

Also I kinda doubt it but does anyone know what counts to the ball trophy? I'm sitting at
Green: 678
Blue: 570
Gold: 41 (still got the trophy for 50 somehow so w/e)
Higg: 474

Need 2,000 for the trophy but I'm not sure if it's only Greens and Blues or if it's everything. Kind of the last thing I need before I dust this thing off for good and I'm bored enough to do it

Fru Fru
Sep 14, 2007
We're gonna need a bigger boat...and some water.

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

I kept hold of everything because it's a Level-5 Game and they loving love alchemy pots for some weird reason. Turns out that uh, that isn't the case here.

Also I kinda doubt it but does anyone know what counts to the ball trophy? I'm sitting at
Green: 678
Blue: 570
Gold: 41 (still got the trophy for 50 somehow so w/e)
Higg: 474

Need 2,000 for the trophy but I'm not sure if it's only Greens and Blues or if it's everything. Kind of the last thing I need before I dust this thing off for good and I'm bored enough to do it

All four of those count, you can get the rest pretty easily by smashing pots in the door dungeons.

You got the 50 trophy because the game counts any times you awakened during the final boss battle (but it will only pop from an actual gold ball).

Dumb question from me: Is there any reason to not just use 3 of the same weapon on a person? I am at the point where I am crafting endgame stuff so should I just make Roland 3 daybreak blades or whatever?

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

None of the weapons are any different other than stats so nope, just use whatever has the biggest numbers.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Sometimes you can give up like 5 base damage to have more useful special properties, or a B or A zing-charge rating instead of a D, but that's rare.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Good to know. Had it pop up on a random resource run and said "gently caress it I'm done with the game" so didn't bother going back and getting new equips.

Now to give it to a friend that wanted to play it and never think about it again. Woo.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

Pulsarcat posted:

Yeah, it's weirdly addictive, I loved just making buildings get bigger and then using all the crap you gathered to make new gear and higgles.

I just really wish you could walk around in it and see all the unique citizens working the various jobs you assigned them
Now you know why those idle mobile games are so popular. The kingdom builder is basically that but there's nothing wrong with that.

Monolith.
Jan 28, 2011

To save the world from the expanding Zone.
Is this a game where I shouldn't sell any gear? Picked this up last night and I'm enjoying it so far. How long is the game if I want to explore everything and try to do everything?

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Probably about 60 hours. You won't need to sell stuff unless you go on a huge spending spree.

glassyalabolas
Oct 21, 2006
I want to bowl with the gangsters...

Monolith. posted:

Is this a game where I shouldn't sell any gear? Picked this up last night and I'm enjoying it so far. How long is the game if I want to explore everything and try to do everything?

No need to sell. You'll need random items to complete errands anyway.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
There's no reason to ever root through your inventory either. Just keep equipping the max attack stuff at the top of the lists and never look back.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

I've just unlocked the tactics tweaker; are there any particularly important ones that I ought to be focusing on, or is this game really easy enough that I can just do whatever?

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

5 levels of damage boost is good against tainted monsters, and the reward boosts are all nice to have; otherwise just do whatever.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Ainsley McTree posted:

I've just unlocked the tactics tweaker; are there any particularly important ones that I ought to be focusing on, or is this game really easy enough that I can just do whatever?

For me I unlocked all the loot bonuses so I'd get more exp. Gave myself magic regen/dodge roll distance/heavy attack damage boost and literally everything else went to the top left one which I'd alter for bosses.

I don't think I ever got poisoned in the whole game and there was only one part section of the game that cast confusion on my guys which... didn't really do anything.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

For me I unlocked all the loot bonuses so I'd get more exp. Gave myself magic regen/dodge roll distance/heavy attack damage boost and literally everything else went to the top left one which I'd alter for bosses.

I don't think I ever got poisoned in the whole game and there was only one part section of the game that cast confusion on my guys which... didn't really do anything.

Top left? I only put 5 points there, it's not like you ever fight bosses with two types. I put my leftovers on top right because I was lazy and just decided to have 2 points of defense in each element.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

For spoils, is it better to have equipment or rare materials? I trust that gold is useless, so I shorted that at as much as I could, and I'm bad at JRPGs, so I took as much xp as I could, so I guess I'm really just curious about the mats <> gear tweaker.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Infinity Gaia posted:

Top left? I only put 5 points there, it's not like you ever fight bosses with two types. I put my leftovers on top right because I was lazy and just decided to have 2 points of defense in each element.

90% of the fights were versus slimes and fairies so I just kept those two bumped up and walked through everything. It's more to save myself the effort than something I actually needed.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Ainsley McTree posted:

For spoils, is it better to have equipment or rare materials? I trust that gold is useless, so I shorted that at as much as I could, and I'm bad at JRPGs, so I took as much xp as I could, so I guess I'm really just curious about the mats <> gear tweaker.

Rare materials, probably.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Ainsley McTree posted:

Since gold is uselessly easy to acquire, you already will have a point in gear, so might as well toss the other on materials

Carmant
Nov 23, 2015

Treadmill? What's that? Is that some kind of cake?

drat. Hate to say it but the first game was definitely better. Still.. this one was fun too. Not super excited for the DLC at this point though. Might even trade it in. I feel like I could never play this again and I would be okay with that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Eh, while it was lacking in some respects the combat didn't make having your fingernails ripped out seem like a fun alternative like the first game, so I prefer this.

• Locked thread