Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

myDad
Jan 20, 2010

ce n'est pas ma mère
College Slice
Reprint Pernicious Deed in standard

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

myDad posted:

Reprint Pernicious Deed in standard

Functionally reprint Pernicious Deed That Also Hits Walkers in standard

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
Is it worth buying into u/w approach using the challenger deck as a springboard? Ive been out of standard for a bit and the deck concept always fascinated me but id rather not buy into something that gets easily blown out by the current meta when i could easily spent my money on a better positioned budget deck.

myDad
Jan 20, 2010

ce n'est pas ma mère
College Slice

The Shortest Path posted:

Functionally reprint Pernicious Deed That Also Hits Walkers in standard

That reminds me: Vessel of Nascency lets you pick any permanent card without saying permanent (lists all five). Thought it was odd.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

myDad posted:

That reminds me: Vessel of Nascency lets you pick any permanent card without saying permanent (lists all five). Thought it was odd.

It's not a permanent before it's on the battlefield.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

uPen posted:

Permanent card is a legal way to refer to anything that would be a permanent if it was on the battlefield, even though it's not a permanent until then

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
I asked way back when that card was spoiled and the answer i got was they listed out the types cuz its a common

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

...on the plus side I'm feeling much more angry now than I expected so this totally helps me get in character.
The store I go to has Legacy FNM (along with Modern and Draft). Legacy usually fires with ~8 players, draft usually has one or two pods although it's the most inconsistent, modern is like ~20.

So I get to watch the crazies play their $4k decks next to me while fidget-shuffling my $1k modern deck. But yeah, I can imagine it might be hard to find Legacy events.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

uPen posted:

i was JUST looking at aid from the cowl my dude

80s James Hetfield
Jan 20, 2004

METAL UP YOUR ASS

AnEdgelord posted:

Is it worth buying into u/w approach using the challenger deck as a springboard? Ive been out of standard for a bit and the deck concept always fascinated me but id rather not buy into something that gets easily blown out by the current meta when i could easily spent my money on a better positioned budget deck.

Play the Bant version, it's more fun

moush
Aug 19, 2009

Rage Your Dream
I would not buy into a deck when Dominaria is coming out in a month. That said, Approach will likely still be a good deck.

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

In Mypos, only the strong survive.

This talk of the reserve list got me thinking about when I sold 99% of my collection in 1998 or 1999. I just read that the Reserved List actually came in March 1996. That would have been spring semester of my freshmen year at college, guess that explains why I apparently didn't notice them announcing it. The irony is I grew up hearing horror stories of kids going off to college and their parents throwing out Mickey Mantle rookie cards. Of course, I still have every sports card I ever bought. I guess I just really didn't think MTG was going to make it after Chronicles, not as a collector's item anyways. So yeah, that's why I sold 2 binders full of Revised/Legends/Dark/Fallen Empire and Ice Age uncommons and rares for $200.

I can't be too bummed though, because I did have a lot of duals in main deck and for whatever reason i kept that German FBB starter deck.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

myDad posted:

I think it's to provide clarity for delirium.

PleasantDirge
Sep 7, 2009
ASK ME ABOUT HOW NOT BEING A FUCKING ASSHOLE ON THE ROAD IS JUST LIKE BEING A JEW AT A NAZI GATHERING BECAUSE I CAN NOT UNDERSTAND HOW TO NOT BE A FUCKING ASSHOLE AND WHEN PEOPLE TREAT ME LIKE I'M A FUCKING ASSHOLE THAT IS JUST LIKE GENOCIDE

TheDemon posted:

The store I go to has Legacy FNM (along with Modern and Draft). Legacy usually fires with ~8 players, draft usually has one or two pods although it's the most inconsistent, modern is like ~20.

So I get to watch the crazies play their $4k decks next to me while fidget-shuffling my $1k modern deck. But yeah, I can imagine it might be hard to find Legacy events.

On Saturday's when I'm just on call I like to hang out at my LGS and watch Legacy and Modern games. One dude last week kept switching up between dredge, d&t, and grixis delver to give his OP practice reps. Yay for college towns/go team alphastrike! Modern fires with 8-16 and standard has fired off with 8 maybe a handful of times in the last 6 months unless you count SCG IQs

oryx
Nov 14, 2004

Fun Shoe

Bulky Bartokomous posted:

This talk of the reserve list got me thinking about when I sold 99% of my collection in 1998 or 1999. I just read that the Reserved List actually came in March 1996. That would have been spring semester of my freshmen year at college, guess that explains why I apparently didn't notice them announcing it. The irony is I grew up hearing horror stories of kids going off to college and their parents throwing out Mickey Mantle rookie cards. Of course, I still have every sports card I ever bought. I guess I just really didn't think MTG was going to make it after Chronicles, not as a collector's item anyways. So yeah, that's why I sold 2 binders full of Revised/Legends/Dark/Fallen Empire and Ice Age uncommons and rares for $200.

I can't be too bummed though, because I did have a lot of duals in main deck and for whatever reason i kept that German FBB starter deck.

If it makes you feel any better, if you'd put those $200 bucks in Apple Stock, you'd have about $44,500 today. Then you could have bought back all the cards and then some.

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

Angry Grimace posted:

Except people play Modern

My store is the unicorn, I guess. Standard and Legacy FNM, and Legacy regularly goes five rounds. Modern had to get moved to its own night because it couldn't fire when competing with those two.

teddust
Feb 27, 2007

Toshimo posted:

FYI: It doesn't matter how much internet forum schlubs raged at them for IMA/A25. The only thing that matters is if it sold well. So, tune in to the quarterly investors' report if you want to know how the next Master set is going to be.

I'd be very surprised if IMA sold particularly well. In my area you could get packs at like 70% retail from LGS less than a month after release. I've seen packs of it recently for about 80%. Meanwhile, Eternal Masters and MM15 never fell below retail and were often above retail despite being somewhat lackluster value wise.

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

I think I'm going to just start conceding when I see a control deck.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
You could just learn how to beat them first.

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

I'll have to do some reading. Right now I don't understand how they could lose to anything other than an even better control deck.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
Going even bigger and slower is one way to beat control. The other is to tighten your own curve to get under their guns and win before they can stabilize.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

I'll have to do some reading. Right now I don't understand how they could lose to anything other than an even better control deck.

You can beat a control deck by out-tempoing them. If you spend less mana on your threats than they spend on their answers, you can sneak in a win before they stabilize.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

It's also possible to outgrind control with midrange by basically presenting so many problem permanents that they can't deal with all of them. The classic is to go under them, though.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Basically the way to beat control decks in modern day Magic is to play aggro, tempo or control. Or midrange. Prison also works in older formats. So does combo.

Pretty much everything beats control decks is what I'm saying.

Lunsku
May 21, 2006

triple sulk posted:

Post about Arena's land algorithm that suggests you should only be running exactly 22 or 26:

https://mtgarena.community.gl/forums/threads/11044

I have some issue with this conclusion for now, unless there's some dev information I've missed. Compare:

https://mtgarena.community.gl/forums/threads/11044 posted:

In an effort to alleviate mana screw/flood, MTG Arena's shuffler generates two random starting hands and gives you the one with the land:spell ratio closest to your deck’s.

senior dev here https://mtgarena.community.gl/forums/threads/347 posted:

The system draws an opening hand from each of two separately randomized copies of the decks, and leans towards giving the player the hand with the mix of spells and lands (without regard for color) closest to average for that deck.

That "leans towards" is a big, big thing the post does not consider, and while I'd like to see the effect of the Arena opening hand system, not knowing what it means (55%? 60%? 70%?) it's not very doable. Had I any skill with R, Matlab or such I'd probably try thowing 10000 hand simulation or something at the question with different land counts and "leans" percentages, but as I don't...

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:

Elyv posted:

It's also possible to outgrind control with midrange by basically presenting so many problem permanents that they can't deal with all of them. The classic is to go under them, though.

And by go under he means being able to drop enough cheap threats before they can counter them all that you can quickly get the win.

Burn, for instance, can usually go under any control deck

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
And if they have board wipes, don't empty your whole hand and watch a Wrath of God annihilate all of your creatures and then let your opponent use point removal on whatever you topdeck because you can only play one creature at a time.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

play creatures, turn them sideways

if they have 2WW open, don't attack with everything

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

Midrange is not a valid answer to control in Arena. Its a totally different meta. You don't have more threats than they have answers because they have 4x Essence Scatter 4x Cancel and some combination of Vraska's Contempt and Walk the Plank and Doomfall. Throw in Golden Demises and then 20 turns in they actually have a finisher you have to deal with. For midrange to work, all of your creatures have to be rare or mythic and nobody has the wild cards for that yet.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
https://goodgamery.com/2018/04/signature-spellbook-blood-moon/

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

Soul Glo posted:

play creatures, turn them sideways

if they have 2WW open, don't attack with everything

Not sure I agree with this, I don't think it would do to stop, because why would they do threatening Settle in that situation? You have to attack and hold something back. Good enough to slow down if it stops them doing anything.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

BizarroAzrael posted:

Not sure I agree with this, I don't think it would do to stop, because why would they do threatening Settle in that situation? You have to attack and hold something back. Good enough to slow down if it stops them doing anything.

i didnt say "dont attack with anything"

i said "dont attack with everything"

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

maro posted on his blog that he's leaving magic to go back to writing for roseanne

shame it's gonna be an april fool's thing

Fantastic Alice
Jan 23, 2012

So what happens if you use Helm of the Host on a Gideon?

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000

xanthan posted:

So what happens if you use Helm of the Host on a Gideon?

You now have two Gideons, good job. The new one isn't a creature.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Soul Glo posted:

maro posted on his blog that he's leaving magic to go back to writing for roseanne

he also posted this:

http://markrosewater.tumblr.com/post/172491041588/will-any-new-guilds-be-introduced-to-ravnica-in#notes

that's gotta be an april fools thing

edit: oh wow he's on fire today

http://markrosewater.tumblr.com/post/172490926128/ahhhhh-my-favorite-day-of-the-year-any-chance#notes

edit2: lol

http://markrosewater.tumblr.com/post/172490069858/are-you-sure-that-ravnica-is-more-popular-than#notes

edit3: hahaha

http://markrosewater.tumblr.com/post/172489822843/can-i-get-a-maybe-on-penguins-in-black-border#notes

Kurtofan fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Apr 1, 2018

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Soul Glo posted:

Don't wish that kind of a fate on him.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
chemtrails set is going to be lit

The Storm deck is coming

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
This one made me chuckle a bit: http://markrosewater.tumblr.com/post/172489638098/what-is-the-reason-for-the-saga-enchantments

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
Hey, here's an actual card for dominaria revealed today

https://www.hipstersofthecoast.com/2018/04/belzenlok-wept/

That's a cool flavor text.