Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
EasternBronze
Jul 19, 2011

I registered for the Selective Service! I'm also racist as fuck!
:downsbravo:
Don't forget to ignore me!
Racism is prejudice plus power so by definition it is impossible to be racist to Chinese in China.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

racism doesn't have a power component in it's definition, it's just discrimination based on racial differences buuuddy

Bajaj
Sep 13, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

EasternBronze posted:

Racism is prejudice plus power so by definition it is impossible to be racist to Chinese in China.
"prejudice, discrimination, or antagonism directed against someone of a different race based on the belief that one's own race is superior."

The way you define it is the one that all the angry white college girls use to say it's impossible to be racist against white people no matter what.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Bajaj posted:

"prejudice, discrimination, or antagonism directed against someone of a different race based on the belief that one's own race is superior."

The way you define it is the one that all the angry white college girls use to say it's impossible to be racist against white people no matter what.

It’s also used by many non-white non-college students to say that, yes.

Bajaj
Sep 13, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

Pirate Radar posted:

It’s also used by many non-white non-college students to say that, yes.
https://i.imgur.com/yAU1Ilc.gifv

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
I do sympathize the part about prejudice plus power angle in the sense of some forms of racism and discrimination is from systemic racist policies.

Things like red lining, and home ownership loans are the more well known policies which caused a bigger wealth gap.

But Han chauvinism/discrimination is a thing as well when it comes modern policy like hukou system, the nine loving dash line/patronizing ethnic minorities etc. oh and from a history angle it’s tribute diplomacy towards their neighbors and geopolitical attitudes.

There is always room for improvement for all governments of the world and we should not look for the lowest common denominator of WHATABOUT but aspire to the better running governments where there are high transparency, checks and balances of power, and involvement of all communities.

As far as I know it’s a
1. transparent democratic government
2. Single transferable voting system
3. Term limits
4. Heavy government regulation of industries and investment in public infrastructure like public transportation, education, healthcare, mixed income neighborhoods.

I think the issue lots of immigrant kids or study abroad people get so defensive over WHATABOUT is because they feel left out in a new land and feel that the institutions or social problems won’t reach out to them because they become minorities. So they get conflicted and grit their teeth to “bear with it” when they live in a developed first world country.

Jokes on you people, yes you can drink tap water and vote but life is still tough and sometimes even tougher because you start from almost 0.

That’s why new immigrants love voting conservative because they feel entitled being LEGAL gently caress YOU GOT MINE WORK YOUR rear end PLZ

I think I previously posted a story of the tale of 2 cousins.

Minnie grew up dirt poor moving to America and ended up in Berkeley and living in San Francisco, loves USA government programs and is full blown democrat left wing WHITE SYSTEMIC RACISM. She insists on people calling her Chinese name.

The other came here on a Masters program and works in Finance lived in Michigan, Atlanta, LA and works in the finance industry. She actually hates them illegals and Mexicans and believes government programs are making the country poor and ruining America. She also had her home broken in so believes in the 2nd amendment and loves forming a company to deduct taxes as a legal means of tax avoidance.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

Sometimes Beijing can be nice

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Bajaj posted:

Update:

We agreed to meet in a tourist shopping area instead of me going out to her house.

Why do you keep meeting these idiots?

Free food? Sex?

tote up a bags
Jun 8, 2006

die stoats die

Steakandchips posted:

Why do you keep meeting these idiots?

Free food? Sex?

Content for this thread

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
China has put 15-25% tariffs on US agriculture products and mostly nuts. 25% though is on pork.

I am excited.

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Less pigs showing up in rivers then.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

That's funny because around 25% of the US pork industry is owned by the Chinese. Shuanghui won't be happy!

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
They will likely import them through Hong Kong since it isn't China.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

oohhboy posted:

They will likely import them through Hong Kong since it isn't China.

Capitalist pigs with Chinese characteristics

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

EasternBronze posted:

hmm

dpf
Sep 17, 2011

Haier man please start writing a book

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.
I am in Jordan and every Chinese tour group I've seen has been really respectful and not crazy. I was relieved. However, they have no idea what anything should cost and overpay by such a ridiculous amount. Like, five times what they should pay. I tried telling a couple people that they needed to bargain more, but maybe they didn't understand me?

On the other hand, I am fine with people here getting more money because this is seriously the nicest place I've been in the Middle East.

Kharnifex
Sep 11, 2001

The Banter is better in AusGBS
Jordans definitely on the to do list, sounds like an excellent place.

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

It's unbelievable. Seriously. Worth the trip just for Jerash, let alone Petra. You cannot help but be stunned, and people are genuinely interested in you and where you come from. Sure, you might overpay for the odd souvenir, and I definitely got goosed earlier today, but I'll live.

I am sitting in the beach beside the Dead Sea looking at Jericho right now. It's loving great. Also, I saw a building with FLESHY HENS written on it and I'm not sure if they sell chickens or prostitutes.

Kharnifex
Sep 11, 2001

Ah that sounds rad, I'll definitely have to get my rear end there, Turkey and hopefully Iran if it hasn't been invaded by the time I get around to it.

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Oman is also super chill and gorgeous. My family and I went snorkeling there once and accidentally trespassed into the Sultan's private ocean area. The security boat came out and were like, "Hey, you're trespassing, but it's cool. We saw some turtles over there yesterday; want a lift?" Then they let us hold on to a rope and tugged us over. It was great. Also, Oman is just stupid beautiful, especially if you can find wadi pools.

Every time someone tells me they're going to Dubai on vacation, I'm a bit sorry for them. It's just a giant mall, punctuated by traffic worse than in Outer Chengolia.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Kharnifex posted:

Ah that sounds rad, I'll definitely have to get my rear end there, Turkey and hopefully Iran if it hasn't been invaded by the time I get around to it.
Turkey gets worse every year so hurry. Iran with a decent inside connect is amazing, with the predictable caveats.

Fleta Mcgurn posted:

Every time someone tells me they're going to Dubai on vacation, I'm a bit sorry for them.
It's the loving worst. Now I wanna do jordan :]

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!
The sat tracker for Tiangong 1 ain't workin', but apparently it was slated to land on Chile.

Bajaj
Sep 13, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

Third World Reggin posted:

China has put 15-25% tariffs on US agriculture products and mostly nuts. 25% though is on pork.

I am excited.
California wine, which according to the link below, sold to China accounted for $81 million dollars in 2016, and probably more in 2017. Sonoma county is like 2/3rds registered Democrat, and I don't think they'll be getting more Republican after tariffs on their main crop dampen exports.
https://www.wineinstitute.org/resources/pressroom/02142017

Kharnifex posted:

Jordans definitely on the to do list, sounds like an excellent place.
"I've been playing Assassin's Creed Origins and I have to say th"
I watched some documentary on it, and all the episodes of Naked Archaeologist, and I also would really like to go.

Fleta Mcgurn posted:

Every time someone tells me they're going to Dubai on vacation, I'm a bit sorry for them.
Dubai looks like the most boring place anyone could ever pay to go to, especially as much as it costs to be there. No loving thanks, and no thanks to go visit some place built by full-blown slavery. I said something similar to this on Instagram and had a bunch of Indians pretending to be Arabs make threats and calls me names and all this dumb internet poo poo as if I wasn't 7000km away from them or something. Indians love that place so much because it's like the closest place abroad they can go to earn money and be around their own kind while being looked down on by everyone around them.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

WarpedNaba posted:

The sat tracker for Tiangong 1 ain't workin', but apparently it was slated to land on Chile.

China got it in the South Pacific without even trying. :smug:

I never doubted you, China.

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Bajaj, that's exactly what Dubai is like. If you know where to go, there are cool boutiques and restaurants, but it's mostly just really boring for me. Plus, driving is hellish.

There is- or was; it may have closed- a huge mall themed after the countries Ibn Battutu (sp?) traveled to. So there's an Indian wing, a China wing, an Andalusian wing...the Chinese one has a life-sized junk boat in it. None of the stores were themed to their areas, though. I think there were six Aldo stores total. It was so stupid and great.

Bajaj
Sep 13, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
Some good 'member berries.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wenzhou_train_collision

quote:

On 23 July 2011, two high-speed trains travelling on the Yongtaiwen railway line collided on a viaduct in the suburbs of Wenzhou, Zhejiang province, China. The two trains derailed each other, and four cars fell off the viaduct.[3] 40 people were killed,[2] at least 192 were injured, 12 of which were severe injuries.[4] Officials responded to the accident by hastily concluding rescue operations and ordering the burial of the derailed cars. These actions elicited strong criticism from Chinese media and online communities. In response, the government issued directives to restrict media coverage, which was met with limited compliance, even on state-owned networks.

quote:

President Hu Jintao and Premier Wen Jiabao called for "all-out efforts to rescue passengers".

quote:

On orders from the authorities, the rescue effort concluded less than a day following the accident, and the damaged train cars were seen being broken apart by backhoes and buried nearby.[57][58] The Railway Ministry justified the burial by claiming that the trains contained valuable "national level" technology that could be stolen.[59] However, hours after the rescuers had been told to stop searching for survivors, a 2-year-old girl was found alive in the wreckage.[57]

Chinese media was especially skeptical of the rescue efforts, particularly the burial of trains. In a press conference, the spokesman of the Railway Ministry, Wang Yongping, said that the burial was for facilitating the rescue work. The answer prompted heckling and gasps of disbelief from the journalists assembled. Wang then said to the press, "whether or not you believe [this explanation], I believe it." ("至于你信不信,我反正信了.")[60] This phrase eventually became an internet meme. When asked why a little girl was found after the rescue work had been announced finished, Wang said, "This was a miracle. We did find a living girl in the work thereafter. That was what happened." ("这是一个奇迹。我们确实在后面的工作当中发现了一个活着的女孩,事情就是这个样子.")[61] There was no evidence that experts or officials entered the front car to investigate the cause of the accident when it was buried.[62] Families of the victims of the crash were outraged at what they viewed was an inadequate investigation, as well as poor organisation and relief in the aftermath of the disaster.[63] Images of the wreckage being shovelled into the pits were circulated widely on the Internet, and led to speculation over a possible mishandling by the government or concealing evidence crucial for the ongoing investigation.[24]

quote:

In one instance, in response to Wang Yongping's assurance at the press conference that the Chinese railway system was running on "advanced technology", news anchor Bai Yansong retorted on CCTV, "The technology may be advanced, but is your management advanced? Are your standard operating procedures advanced? Is the supervision advanced? Is your respect for people advanced? Are all the minute details advanced? At the end of the day, is your overall operational capability advanced?"[65]

Similarly, Qiu Qiming of CCTV program 24-Hours launched into an on-air tirade about Chinese society: "If nobody can be safe, do we still want this speed? Can we drink a glass of milk that's safe? Can we stay in an apartment that will not fall apart? Can the roads we travel on in our cities not collapse? Can we travel in safe trains? And if and when a major accident does happen, can we not be in a hurry to bury the trains? Can we afford the people a basic sense of security? China, please slow down. If you're too fast, you may leave the souls of your people behind."[66]

LentThem
Aug 31, 2004

90% Retractible
I remember when that train crash happened, my coworkers were super mad at what was happening but knew nothing would come of it. It was kinda fun to read about live.

https://www.chinasmack.com/wenzhou-train-crash-compensation-announced-rail-official-takes-plane

quote:

Life is impossible now. Take the subway, and the escalator collapses. Ride the train, and you get rear-ended. Take the bus, get barbequed. Drink some water, and there are worms in the Nongfu spring. Eat some meat, and Bajie is more expensive than Xuanzang [pork is more expensive than meat that can make you immortal]. Watch basketball, and Yao Ming retires. Watch football, and even Laos gets two goals against us. Set up a stall on the street, and black society [organized crime, hoodlums] have become the chengguan. Make a donation, and the money is used to buy Maseratis.

quote:

The people just died, are still on the road to heaven, and before giving them an explanation, you pressure the families to discuss compensation, how can you bring yourselves to do such a thing!!!

quote:

Using the word “reward” with disaster compensation is a bit offensive, as if dealing with residents facing demolition [offering money to residents to sell their property to allow for demolition and redevelopment].

You already covered this but I love that loving rear end in a top hat Wang Yongping. 'it doesnt matter if you believe what i say, as long as i believe what i say'. In the video he even makes these hand gestures like he's talking to children

quote:

In fact, one of Wang Yongping’s responses (“whether you believe or not, I believe”) suggesting that it doesn’t matter if the press or people believe his explanations because all that matters is that he believes it has become a new Chinese internet meme.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!
In other China news:

https://www.rfa.org/english/news/china/surveillance-03302018111415.html

quote:

Pilot projects have begun linking surveillance cameras and internet-connected devices to a nationwide platform called 'Sharp Eyes.

Sasuga.

EasternBronze
Jul 19, 2011

I registered for the Selective Service! I'm also racist as fuck!
:downsbravo:
Don't forget to ignore me!
I've thought for the last year or two going back to China to visit my friends but, nah I think I will pass.

Bajaj
Sep 13, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
I can't wait until the videos come out of guys facing traffic with this
https://i.imgur.com/5hbON3G.gifv

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Circuses just aren't what they use to be.

Pound_Coin
Feb 5, 2004
£

Ibblebibble posted:

Sounds like me except my mum is chill :v:

Singapore is alright, I just find it dull as hell. It's basically the Asian Milton Keynes.

You take that back about our food. We have the highest obesity rate in SEA for a reason. :colbert:

My partner is Chinese Malay, rendang loving owns, (done properly for hours not the sachet paste poo poo) and his hate for mainlanders knows no bounds

Blue Star Error
Jun 11, 2001

For this recipie you will need:
Football match (Halftime of), Celebrity Owner (Motivational speaking of), Sherry (Bottle of)
China needs more water. So it's building a rain-making network three times the size of Spain

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

I see two or three outcomes: Either it'll be a resounding success, subsequently flooding Tibet, or it'll make a lot of water that won't go anywhere because of lack of water infrastructure (see chinese solar projects).

Cry Havoc
May 10, 2004

This cyberpunk cartoon avatar is pretty dang ol' good, I tell you what.
is there a five second rule for water

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
It wouldn't work. Getting precipitation requires more than seeding. The mountains lift the moisture alot which is the overwhelming factor. That lifting is why you see white capped mountains. Once it is past the mountain the pressure returns to normal and the cloud vanishes. Right now what they are trying to do is like getting it to rain east of the rockery mountains where most of the moisture has already been squeezed out.

With the amount of smoke based pollution inside China proper, seeding is not the issue, it gives you that killer pea soup smog/fog. LOL at needing to set up a no-fly zone to seed.

Kharnifex
Sep 11, 2001

Should be interesting to see what part of the rain water network is able to be prybarred off and sold

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Kharnifex posted:

Should be interesting to see what part of the rain water network is able to be prybarred off and sold
don't they typically use mercury for seeding

why bother with the physical network when you can sell that sweet sweet mercury

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kharnifex
Sep 11, 2001

Ahh mercury, sweetest of the transition metals

• Locked thread