Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)
ol’ musky on april 2: “so yeah we really are bankrupt. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

Lmao i love hubris

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo
Elon is the only remotely interesting capitalist lord.

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

it owns when people who won the lottery have no sense of irony

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

https://twitter.com/JillianneTweets/status/980579189203009536

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

please hire me o, great deity of capital

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

:stare:

Hurt Whitey Maybe
Jun 26, 2008

I mean maybe not. Or maybe. Definitely don't kill anyone.
I got kind of mad when a local business was crowdfunding for expansion because that’s literally the purpose of running a business, to generate capital, not take donations. to be fair they were a small burrito shop beloved by the community so sure whatever.

imagining a fundamentally unprofitable business that has run through billions of dollars of capital running a gofundme is just absurd. more absurd is that people would give to it and literally subsidize investors who could conceivably get a return.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

https://twitter.com/GeekyLyndsay/status/980590516399087616

Baxate
Feb 1, 2011

saving this tweet for 3 months from now when Tesla ceases to exist

WalletBeef
Jun 11, 2005

Sounds like trouble in shortsville :thunk:

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

TerminalRaptor posted:

In all seriousness is there some sort of conspiracy to make these things ugly af? I can understand making a car "pretty" being difficult given the constraints a designer has to work with and shifting fashion tends, but you can't convince me that's the best they can do.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X2HX5wsQVEA

i assume it's this

Krakox
Oct 9, 2012
bankwupt

WalletBeef
Jun 11, 2005

In all honesty, how much longer does Tesla have of losing billions of dollars before people totally give up on it?

WalletBeef fucked around with this message at 01:29 on Apr 2, 2018

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Hurt Whitey Maybe posted:

I got kind of mad when a local business was crowdfunding for expansion because that’s literally the purpose of running a business, to generate capital, not take donations. to be fair they were a small burrito shop beloved by the community so sure whatever.

imagining a fundamentally unprofitable business that has run through billions of dollars of capital running a gofundme is just absurd. more absurd is that people would give to it and literally subsidize investors who could conceivably get a return.

they should really look into microloans for that

or comedy option hoodwink a dead gay internet forum into paying for their range hood

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

Hurt Whitey Maybe posted:

A dive bar/venue did that a few years back and I felt the same way. It was cash only with an ATM that charged like $5 to withdraw from

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

https://twitter.com/kenjennings/status/980600683463303168

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

TerminalRaptor posted:

In all seriousness is there some sort of conspiracy to make these things ugly af? I can understand making a car "pretty" being difficult given the constraints a designer has to work with and shifting fashion tends, but you can't convince me that's the best they can do.

see the first prius versus the first commercially successful prius

Baxate
Feb 1, 2011

:eyepop:

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

PCjr sidecar posted:

see the first prius versus the first commercially successful prius

yarp

the first prius looked like a slightly different corolla or echo. nobody bought it.

the second-gen prius looked like a space pod and visually signaled "i am driving an electric car." it had virtually the same performance as the original. leonardo dicaprio bought one, natalie portman bought one, they sold 1.2 million of the things and "prius" is now synonymous with "hybrid car"

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
also they’re real quiet. good for sneakin up on mothafuckas

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

don’t they make a special noise below 30 mph or something?

e: i might be thinking of some other car. or imagining the whole thing! who knows!!

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

President Beep posted:

our company's 2011 one doesnt

its fun taking it on popular dam hiking trails for work and all the people walking dont hear you as you folllow them at 2MPH until they realize theres been a car behind them. its actually kinda annoying

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

tesla moving to the star citizen model by taking reservations on concept cars that will never be produced. looking forward to the model 3 with a built in soda fountain.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

President Beep posted:

e: i might be thinking of some other car. or imagining the whole thing! who knows!!

new priuses make this weird sort of chiming hum (generated by a speaker, specifically to warn pedestrians) when they're moving and the gas engine is off, yeah. so do all current electric cars except for those from one company -- i'm sure you can guess who.

i'm not sure exactly when manufacturers started doing that but it was probably after a few blind people got run over in the UK. all hybrids and electric cars will be required to make the noise by 2020~ though iirc

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

that show took the biggest nose dive in quality after season 1

edit: wait i think its 2

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

Sagebrush posted:

yarp

the first prius looked like a slightly different corolla or echo. nobody bought it.

the second-gen prius looked like a space pod and visually signaled "i am driving an electric car." it had virtually the same performance as the original. leonardo dicaprio bought one, natalie portman bought one, they sold 1.2 million of the things and "prius" is now synonymous with "hybrid car"
tbf i dont think virtue-signalling like its a southpark smug episode is or was actually ever a thing, and is just an concept made up by lolbertarian/cons circlejerkers. i consider "looking unique~~" a big downside actually and the early hybrid models with covered wheels and poo poo looked like rear end.

i think it was probably a confluence of factors that lead them to becoming more popular and not change in looks: new yellow HOV sticker program, news discounts for buying them, rising awareness of climate change and most importantly rising gas prices circa 2007 where it was over $4.50 a gallon in california

though my loving god the new 2017+ prius's look like absolute poo poo, they at least looked neutrally-OK before

Xaris fucked around with this message at 01:57 on Apr 2, 2018

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

Tokamak posted:

tesla moving to the star citizen model by taking reservations on concept cars that will never be produced. looking forward to the model 3 with a built in soda fountain DNR notice.

Sagebrush posted:

so do all current electric cars except for those from one company -- i'm sure you can guess who.

jfc.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Xaris posted:

tbf i dont think virtual-signalling like its a southpark smug episode is or was actually ever a thing. i consider "looking unique~~" a big downside actually and the early hybrid models with covered wheels and poo poo looked like rear end.

i think it was probably a confluence of factors that lead them to becoming more popular and not change in looks: new yellow HOV sticker program, news discounts for buying them, rising awareness of climate change and most importantly rising gas prices circa 2017 where it was over $4.50 a gallon in california

though my loving god the new 2017+ prius's look like absolute poo poo, they at least looked neutrally-OK before

the discounts and yellow stickers were only in california, which is a large market, but it's far from the only place where the cars were popular.

the 2nd gen prius came out about when the iraq war was getting real deep and oil prices were starting to shoot up, but it wasn't that much more efficient than some of the other options, and it was an expensive car at the time. but celebrities sold their ferraris and bought priuses to conspicuously demonstrate their eco-consciousness, so that's what people started to ape

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy
hey cool prius. i didnt know they made a minivan version. my grandma has one but hers doesnt have lambo doors

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Xaris posted:

i consider "looking unique~~" a big downside actually and the early hybrid models with covered wheels and poo poo looked like rear end.

hey go gently caress yourself buddy

the OG honda insight is still the coolest hybrid car on the planet

:mad:

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

Sagebrush posted:

my neighbor has one of these. i'm jealous.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Sagebrush posted:

it even came in a manual

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

Sagebrush posted:

ugghh nooooo. thats exactly the one i was thinking of too

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

of course you were, it's the only one with covered wheels

and it's the fuckin best

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Sagebrush posted:

new priuses make this weird sort of chiming hum (generated by a speaker, specifically to warn pedestrians) when they're moving and the gas engine is off, yeah. so do all current electric cars except for those from one company -- i'm sure you can guess who.

i'm not sure exactly when manufacturers started doing that but it was probably after a few blind people got run over in the UK. all hybrids and electric cars will be required to make the noise by 2020~ though iirc

the leaf has always made a noise when going under ~15mph, except in the uk, they said there was a law about cars making artificial noise after 10pm. i presume that law has changed since

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
i still think they should all make the jetsons car sound

Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We
real weird turf war in the “maker” (DIY elec engineer?) community i came across on twitter that seems to consist of a chinese celebrity engineer of some sort vs VICE

https://twitter.com/i0n1c/status/980604958721519616?s=21

apparently vice doxxed her in their article? but the only article i can find from vice about it:

https://twitter.com/jason_koebler/status/977910286580580352?s=21

quote:

Wu told me she didn’t want to discuss her marital status, but before publishing the piece, I followed up with her. I hoped to discuss the Reddit conspiracy theory that claimed someone she’s in a relationship with was behind her work. Wu has spent significant energy proving these conspiracy theories false, and shutting down this harassment has inspired other women who have faced similar treatment online.

“Do you actually have time to hop on Skype to go over the Reddit conspiracy theory?” I wrote. “It would be really helpful [to] address these allegations. I saw that video where you say you're [name redacted’s] wife—and I'd like to discuss the unfairness of assuming a woman receives help, just because her partner works/worked in a similar industry. If you don't want to discuss this at all, I understand and won't push. I think the Reddit conspiracy theory is vicious, but since this profile is long and comprehensive, I'd love to highlight your opinions about prototype bias, gender expectations, and racism as they relate to the rumor. Let me know how that sounds, and what you're comfortable with.”

At the same time Wu responded to me, she started tweeting about VICE. Over the next several weeks, Wu publicly shopped our correspondence to journalists and tagged me, my former colleague, my editor, and VICE in dozens of tweets; her followers sent me many more.

In emails, Wu accused me of blackmailing her and writing a “hit piece.” Without having seen the story, she wrote that if I published the article under my byline, VICE “will throw you to the wolves.”

“If you don’t believe me, I’ll direct my tweets to your name- see if they come help under the VICE brand or make an excuse why they should stay out of it so they can blame you later for acting alone and cut you loose- with a reputation written where it can never be erased as the female journalist who signal-boosts harassment campaigns against women in tech,” she wrote.

Wu asked to see a draft of the story prior to publication, which we declined to do as it is against our editorial policy. She took issue with other standard editorial protocols, such as when a fact-checker reached out to other sources for this piece.

“We just need whatever article you vomit out to determine in just how many ways you violated basic journalistic ethics,” Wu wrote in an email to my editor.

rest of the piece is extremely positive about her and interesting tho. :shrug:

Bulgogi Hoagie fucked around with this message at 02:44 on Apr 2, 2018

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

duz posted:

the leaf has always made a noise when going under ~15mph, except in the uk, they said there was a law about cars making artificial noise after 10pm. i presume that law has changed since

like, what even is artificial, man?

:drugnerd:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

i used hot bot to search for "teens"

Sagebrush posted:

my mom has an 05 with the cvt. it’s a really neat car.

the manual ones had that lean burn mode that would bump them up to like 100+mpg iirc