Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

abraham linksys posted:

Oh, and also, with my BoA debit card, when I went to London last year, I pretty much had to sign for everything - it wouldn't work as a chip and pin card. Reckon this one will be the same? It didn't seem like much of an issue outside of a handful of things like ticket vending machines, but it was one of the reasons I was hoping to get a travel card.

Pekinduck posted:

AFAIK no U.S. credit cards, even travel cards, are chip+pin compatible yet. Its super lame.

Plenty are. Barclaycard is probably one of the larger issuers that supports chip&PIN. There are even a few out there that are PIN-preferring, but falling back to PIN is just fine for travel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pekinduck
May 10, 2008

astral posted:

Plenty are. Barclaycard is probably one of the larger issuers that supports chip&PIN. There are even a few out there that are PIN-preferring, but falling back to PIN is just fine for travel.

Whoa I guess i'm out of date, thanks for the info.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Hauki posted:

Alright this is a dumb and hopefully simple question.

Quick background, I’ve always paid for poo poo with cash, debit or personal check. I have a stable median salary, about $50k in cash & liquid assets and no credit score at all. I would like to be able to function normally in this era, so I’ve begun applying for credit card(s).

The issue is that I’ve applied for several cards now through a variety of places (including my bank of 15+ years) over time and been turned down for all sorts of reasons, including “insufficient income,” and “no credit history” after disclosing upfront that I had no credit score and asking exactly what I needed to do in order to be approved for a low limit card through said institutions.

Is my best/only course of action at this point applying for a secured card, such as the discovery card linked in the OP?

Did you try capital one? They gave me a "Journey" card with a $500 credit limit when I was a college student with no loan history.

Magic City Monday
Dec 5, 2016
Edit: nevermind

Magic City Monday fucked around with this message at 10:00 on Mar 10, 2018

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Pekinduck posted:

Have you tried speaking with an actual person at your bank? If it was just their computer denying you they might happily approve you if you went in and talked to someone, especially if you have a 15 history with them.

I did - I was told that they couldn’t do any approvals on site, and whatever I applied for would be sent off to their credit division or whatever. I’m kinda fed up with them for a variety of reasons and I’d switch banks and move my balance, but I’m in the middle of buying a house and don’t want to rock the boat any more than necessary right now.

Shear Modulus posted:

Did you try capital one? They gave me a "Journey" card with a $500 credit limit when I was a college student with no loan history.

Not yet, mostly tried local(ish) banks and credit unions. Tried at Schwab too, since I’ve got checking & retirement accounts there as well. I’ve had at least half a dozen people tell me they got low limit cards like that with no problem as students, including the loan officers I’ve spoken to while applying in person at said banks so I’m not really going to count on that.

I’m just baffled that this process has been this difficult as an adult with no debt, a reasonable and steady salary and a good chunk of cash savings. I’ve been at this since like, Christmas, applying for one at a time and then getting the rejection 2-3 weeks later.

Quaint Quail Quilt
Jun 19, 2006

Ask me about that time I told people mixing bleach and vinegar is okay

Hauki posted:

Not yet, mostly tried local(ish) banks and credit unions.
I'm in the same boat as you and I took out a secured loan at my credit union ($1000 for a year :10bux: interest) that just auto pays itself and reports to the big 3.

I was told after 6 months payments (April) I'd have a score and maybe get discover it, a card through my credit union if desperate, Costco credit card or start working my way up the goon churn list slowly.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Hauki posted:

Not yet, mostly tried local(ish) banks and credit unions. Tried at Schwab too, since I’ve got checking & retirement accounts there as well. I’ve had at least half a dozen people tell me they got low limit cards like that with no problem as students, including the loan officers I’ve spoken to while applying in person at said banks so I’m not really going to count on that.

I’m just baffled that this process has been this difficult as an adult with no debt, a reasonable and steady salary and a good chunk of cash savings. I’ve been at this since like, Christmas, applying for one at a time and then getting the rejection 2-3 weeks later.

Have you tried to get an overdraft line of credit at the bank you've been at for 15yrs? I ask because that was my first credit account (granted, my mom co-signed with me for it at age 18), and when I applied for a small loan a couple years later, I got it with no problem.

Secondly... Have you pulled your credit report to make sure there's nothing fraudulent on there that's hanging you up?

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

lol

Former Sallie Mae Barclay turned into Barclay Commence is already being changed to a different Barclays card.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

angryrobots posted:

Have you tried to get an overdraft line of credit at the bank you've been at for 15yrs? I ask because that was my first credit account (granted, my mom co-signed with me for it at age 18), and when I applied for a small loan a couple years later, I got it with no problem.

Secondly... Have you pulled your credit report to make sure there's nothing fraudulent on there that's hanging you up?

Not explicitly - I’ve had checking and savings accounts with them for that duration that have always had overdraft protection which I gather is something different.

Yes, it was pulled as part of my prequalification for the home loan. None of the three agencies had anything at all on their reports that I’m aware of.

DeceasedHorse
Nov 11, 2005

VorpalBunny posted:

One of my first cards jumping into the credit card game 2 years ago was the CSR, with something like a 30k limit. I've now had a handful of high-end cards like that with huge limits, and recently decided to start the Discover game so I got an it. I'm trying to maximize the first quarter, but my card started to get declined. It took me a few minutes to realize I must have reached my credit limit, I forgot it was a whopping 1k. I asked the customer service rep over the phone if there was any way of increasing it, and he said it took at least 3 billing cycles before they would increase it. So, now I am haunting my account and making sure I immediately pay off everything that posts to keep the credit limit available. My goal is to maximize the 10% back this first year, but I might fall short due to this little snafu.

Just one more little wrinkle to consider when playing the cashback/points game...

Discover is just really conservative with credit limits, although once you have a history with them they seem to be a bit better--my second Discover IT has double the limit as my first ome does.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Hauki posted:

Yes, it was pulled as part of my prequalification for the home loan. None of the three agencies had anything at all on their reports that I’m aware of.

I just saw the post about how you're in the middle of buying a home. DO NOT apply for any credit of any kind until the loan is finalized! Seriously, if you open a brand new line of credit, and your credit history is non-existent, your new home loan probably won't make it through underwriting.

Your loan officer should have covered this with you - if they didn't then shame on them. Edit- after a few mortgage payments post, try again and you can probably get your pick of credit card.

angryrobots fucked around with this message at 01:55 on Mar 10, 2018

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

AmEx question: I had been carrying a balance for years. On my last due date I paid in full, now the only balance is the interest from last month. Am I now in the grace period, or would I still get interest charges if I put some bills on there with a “pay in full” autopay? I know some companies do the grace period after the first full payment and some after the second. The sooner I put the bills on the CC the sooner I can freeze the card in a block of ice.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

angryrobots posted:

I just saw the post about how you're in the middle of buying a home. DO NOT apply for any credit of any kind until the loan is finalized! Seriously, if you open a brand new line of credit, and your credit history is non-existent, your new home loan probably won't make it through underwriting.

Your loan officer should have covered this with you - if they didn't then shame on them. Edit- after a few mortgage payments post, try again and you can probably get your pick of credit card.

We talked about it. He said it was fine under the specific circumstances. But yes, it did occur to me to just wait it out and use the mortgage itself to build a history.

Harry
Jun 13, 2003

I do solemnly swear that in the year 2015 I will theorycraft my wallet as well as my WoW

22 Eargesplitten posted:

AmEx question: I had been carrying a balance for years. On my last due date I paid in full, now the only balance is the interest from last month. Am I now in the grace period, or would I still get interest charges if I put some bills on there with a “pay in full” autopay? I know some companies do the grace period after the first full payment and some after the second. The sooner I put the bills on the CC the sooner I can freeze the card in a block of ice.

I believe you need a full cycle after a full payment. I would pay off the interest if you can and then give it a statement cycle just to be careful.

BAE OF PIGS
Nov 28, 2016

Tup
Does spending by an authorized user count towards spend bonuses? If it does, can someone be an authorized user on that account if they already have one of those cards?

I want my gf to sign up for the AMEX delta gold card. I'd get a 10k miles bonus, and if she spends $2000 in the first 90 days, she'll get 50k miles, and additional 10k miles if she spends another $1000 in the first 6 months of account opening.

I suggested she get the card, but she has a very modest income and doesn't spend a lot. I half jokingly suggested I could use the card and pay, but part of me is wondering if she could get the card, add me as an authorized user on her account, and I could use that to get the spend bonus.

Note: I will probably not do any of these things because while I am helping her get her financial house in order, I do not want to give her debt that she cannot afford to pay back in the very slim chance we have some kind of falling out, and I want to respect her choices to not get any more credit cards until her debt from before we began living together is paid off (should be by next month). I'm mostly just curious at this point if it would work if this offer comes up again in the future.

saintonan
Dec 7, 2009

Fields of glory shine eternal

BAE OF PIGS posted:

Does spending by an authorized user count towards spend bonuses? If it does, can someone be an authorized user on that account if they already have one of those cards?

Yes to both. You'd be an AU on her account, which is different from your account, even though it's the same card.

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
Any expats have any tips when it comes to verifying your email address to CC companies?

I use my sister’s apartment as home base but Chase for example won’t take bank or CC bills as proof.

Magic City Monday
Dec 5, 2016

Ur Getting Fatter posted:

Any expats have any tips when it comes to verifying your email address to CC companies?

I use my sister’s apartment as home base but Chase for example won’t take bank or CC bills as proof.

When I applied for the Uber card, I forgot to put my Google Voice number and listed my parents' landline so I had to get them to call Barclays in order to get approved. But the two or three credit cards I've opened in my time abroad never gave me problems with address verification.

Thanatus
Apr 24, 2009
When does eligibility for the chase sapphire signup bonus renew? Is it two years from account opening or two years from receiving the bonus? I’m thinking about going from preferred to reserve soon.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Thanatus posted:

When does eligibility for the chase sapphire signup bonus renew? Is it two years from account opening or two years from receiving the bonus? I’m thinking about going from preferred to reserve soon.

From receiving the bonus.

you ate my cat
Jul 1, 2007

Out of curiosity, what's the reason for you behind that upgrade? I've thought about it also, but I'm not sure I travel enough to justify the change and the increased annual fee.

ohgodwhat
Aug 6, 2005

Is Chase still doing 100k UR if you're referred to Chase Ink Preferred? If so, anyone have a referral?

Erdricks
Sep 8, 2005

There's nothing refreshing like a sauna!

ohgodwhat posted:

Is Chase still doing 100k UR if you're referred to Chase Ink Preferred? If so, anyone have a referral?

Here's a referral link for CIP:

https://www.referyourchasecard.com/21/G7B3WM6QRW

edit: I think the bonus is now 80k, but still pretty good IMO.

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
I've been approved for an Amazon Visa.

Amazon helpfully added it to my account and lets me pay stuff for it before actually receiving the card but there's no way I'm using a card I can't actually make payments on.

Chase tells me that I can use my application number to sign up for their website, but Amazon never gave me one. Is that something I can just call Customer Service and ask for?

It's not the biggest deal but I actually do have to make a couple of big Amazon purchases this week.

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

:hampants::hampants::hampants:

Ur Getting Fatter posted:

I've been approved for an Amazon Visa.

Amazon helpfully added it to my account and lets me pay stuff for it before actually receiving the card but there's no way I'm using a card I can't actually make payments on.

Chase tells me that I can use my application number to sign up for their website, but Amazon never gave me one. Is that something I can just call Customer Service and ask for?

It's not the biggest deal but I actually do have to make a couple of big Amazon purchases this week.

There's literally no drama associated with this card - if it's on your Amazon account you'll be fine to use it to make purchases.

It's not going to cause you any heartache, nobody is trying to scam you, it's one of the easiest, most user-friendly pieces of plastic (actually whatever alloy they make it from) I've ever used.

spatula
Nov 6, 2004
Hadn't used my old Discover card in a while - to lure me back, Discover upgraded my card to a Discover IT, along with the 1yr cashback bonus match offer!

I already opened a Discover IT a few years ago and got the 1 year cashback match then. It's so awesome that Discover is encouraging me to churn this deal, lol.

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

There's literally no drama associated with this card - if it's on your Amazon account you'll be fine to use it to make purchases.

It's not going to cause you any heartache, nobody is trying to scam you, it's one of the easiest, most user-friendly pieces of plastic (actually whatever alloy they make it from) I've ever used.

I didn't want to overcomplicate my question but I'm going on a trip next week so if the card doesn't get here I don't want to be stuck with a CC bill I can't pay, which is was I was hoping to shortcut the Chase website signup.

It's fine, I'll just use my regular card if the Amazon card doesn't make it by Tuesday or something like that.

Thanks!

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
You would have nearly 2 months before you would need to pay the bill, about a month before you receive your first bill, and then a bit less than a month before that first bill is due. You'll be fine.

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

Yeah, after getting the physical card I just keep it in a drawer and use it for Prime and Uber where it's already saved.

CaptainJuan
Oct 15, 2008

Thick. Juicy. Tender.

Imagine cutting into a Barry White Song.
So I have a question about state law. I'm renting a car tomorrow for a weekend trip and I don't actually own a car so I don't have insurance. I am using my American express, which has secondary coverage for rentals... And according to Amex customer service, secondary coverage becomes primary when you don't have primary. However, if I'm pulled over and asked for proof of insurance, what do I do? Does secondary(primary) coverage from my card count as meeting IL's insurance requirement?

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

:hampants::hampants::hampants:
First, I hope you don't get pulled over. Second, I believe that it does but "it's a rental" explains a lot of drama to whoever pulls you over. You can show them your drivers license and the rental agreement.

Does your Amex actually carry coverage for liability and not just property? That would be unusual. it doesn't, but by law car rental places are required to carry liability on cars rented except in, like, 3 states.

CaptainJuan
Oct 15, 2008

Thick. Juicy. Tender.

I don't think so. I was planning to decline the property coverage (since my Amex blue cash covers that) but take the liability coverage.

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

Some CC insurance requires that you decline all the insurance the rental agency offers you.

I'd check on that.

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
I know my Amex Everyday requires that I explicitly deny all coverage from the rental company.

I also didn't find a good answer to your question, but luckily I wasn't stopped.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

CaptainJuan posted:

So I have a question about state law. I'm renting a car tomorrow for a weekend trip and I don't actually own a car so I don't have insurance. I am using my American express, which has secondary coverage for rentals... And according to Amex customer service, secondary coverage becomes primary when you don't have primary. However, if I'm pulled over and asked for proof of insurance, what do I do? Does secondary(primary) coverage from my card count as meeting IL's insurance requirement?

Every rental car I've ever been in, in the US at least, has a form in the glovebox that says the rental car company is self insured with the relevant details to satisfy whatever somebody pulling you over would look for but IANAL.

CaptainJuan
Oct 15, 2008

Thick. Juicy. Tender.

Talked to Amex customer service, they say I should decline collision damage from the rental agency and take the liability coverage and I'll be good to go.

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

CaptainJuan posted:

A full copy of your cardholder agreement plus rental agreement would detail the coverage you have in a pretty precise manner.

antiga
Jan 16, 2013

Thoguh posted:

Every rental car I've ever been in, in the US at least, has a form in the glovebox that says the rental car company is self insured with the relevant details to satisfy whatever somebody pulling you over would look for but IANAL.

This is correct in my experience

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
I just bought an iPad with my Chase CSP card. Does this card automatically insure me with accidental protection etc through Chase, or should I still buy AppleCare?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Boris Galerkin posted:

I just bought an iPad with my Chase CSP card. Does this card automatically insure me with accidental protection etc through Chase, or should I still buy AppleCare?

I believe the Chase warranty only provides 90 days against damage. It doubles the regular-degular warranty, but does not include the extra protection that AppleCare does.